EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » converts what are you ???????????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: converts what are you ???????????
catch a 4alling **ChImP**
Member # 10093

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for catch a 4alling **ChImP**     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i married a bedouin but of a sunni ,imnot sunni but a memon ,have u had problems concerning culture or are u a convert of just sunni nature
Posts: 1602 | From: the banana island shake me tweeeeeeee | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whats a memon??

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you are a memon are u sure?
Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 10093

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for catch a 4alling **ChImP**     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOOK IT UP ITS A SECT FROM ISLAM....IM KUTCHI MEMON..MY KIDS ARE MIRZA'S
Posts: 1602 | From: the banana island shake me tweeeeeeee | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 10093

Member Rated:
I THINK I AM I SHUD NO
mac0623
Member # 10529

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mac0623     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO UR NOT.JUST LOOK AT UR MESSAGES ONE MIN UR POSTING LIKE A BRIT WOULD WRITE THEN ITS IN PIGON ENGLISH AND THE PIC IS NOT OF YOU.
WHAT MEMON AND WHAT MIDDLE EASTERN HAS GREEN EYES!!!

Posts: 1344 | From: uk/ | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sect? Islam is not supposed to have sects.

--------------------

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

NO UR FALSE WITH A DIFFERENT NAME
Member # 10093

Member Rated:
HUH WHAT NAME UR CONFUSING ME ..IM A MEMON IM NOT GOING TO TELL U AGAIN LOOK IT UP
httpThe Kutchi language originates from Kutch, India. It is comparable to Sindhi. In fact it is a mixture of Sindhi, Gujarati, Punjabi & Rajasthani. Kutchi sounds like Sindhi but the vocabulary is closest to that of Gujarati. Kutchi was originally written using the now extinct Khojki or Khojaki (of Khojas) script. Kutchi survives only as a spoken language now as it is written using the Gujarati ://www.memonworld.com.pk/

Member # 10093

Member Rated:
http://www.memonworld.com.pk/
ISLAM isnt meant to have alot of things .
please im not answer to you im a memon iu brought up in england ok im green eyes im mixed race and im WOMAN has well im not any one else we dont have to be brown and brown eyed with a mustach do we to be a muslim

Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mac
Chimps has never claimed to be caucasian English, nor has Chimps ever claimed to be Middle Eastern. Isnt it obvious that she is Indian/Pakistani descent, probably 2nd generation immigrant as her english is not good.
Probably from Pakistan as I dont think many Indians are muslim. I do have to say though, that I find it strange that she has been allowed to divorce one husband and marry a bedouin....

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

STILL NOT AND WILL NOT CONVICE ME ,U MADE TO MANY MISTAKES IN UR GRAMMER
Member # 10093

Member Rated:
i actually think cus a certain
person isnt here, u feel the need to conflict every thing im saying well for ur information im loving it ..i crave ................ keep it up baby..im black in me u got a problem there..just happen to be cream

mac0623
Member # 10529

TRY AGAIN NOW UR GRAMMER HAS CHANGED,AS FOR THE OTHER PERSON ISNT HERE IAM AT A LOST OVER THAT
Member # 10093

Member Rated:
im sorry for my grammer im dyslexic and going slowely blind cus of a desciese i have in my retna my keyboared is not doing its job to which cost me alot to have, imnot apologise to MAC ,who i am cus thats what i am but for u shareen im sorry for my english ..
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shareen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch..... I took the liberty of having a quick peek at the link...

This is just a brief extract of their history.

""This new Muslim community was distinguished by great religious zeal and piety. This feature is even today characteristic of the Memons. The reputation for being pious Muslims which has been attached to the Memon contributed greatly to their commercial success.""

Sorry, Chimps... no offence, but religious zeal and piety do not appear to be very prominent in your postings.

Posts: 1196 | From: www.spiritofthenile.com | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_Masrawi_
Member # 9597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for _Masrawi_     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:

Probably from Pakistan as I dont think many Indians are muslim.

A very common misconception.

In reality, there are more Indian muslims than there are Arab muslims put together. The number stands at over 200 million. Interesting, isn't it?

Posts: 2049 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 10093

Member Rated:
HAHAHA MY HUSBAND WAS A BATTERER HE WASAFRO INDIAN LIVING IN AFRICA OF THE SAME HAS ME A MEMON OK ..IM DIVORCE THE BASTERED AND I FELL IN LOVE WHILE I WAS TEACHING IN SCOTLAND TO AN EGYPTIAN DOES THAT ANSWER U QUESTION NOW...IM CHOOSE WHO I WANT TO MARRY NOW IM OLD ENOUGH NOW TO DO THAT ..AND IM SORRY FOR MY HUSBAND BEING A EDUCATED BEDOUIN ....TEACHER AND HE DONT LIVE IN A TENT OK OK ..IT TOOK ME 5YRS OK TO MEET SUMONE IN THAT TIME I WAS BRINGING MY KIDS UP SINGLE HANDED...
mac0623
Member # 10529

YES I LIVED WITH THEM FOR MANY YEARS AND TRAVELED WITH MANY RELIGONS BUT WHAT I READ FROM CHIMPS IS NOT WHAT IT SEEMS BUT I WONT PUSH
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Sorry, Chimps... no offence, but religious zeal and piety do not appear to be very prominent in your postings.

Whats pious to a Sunni Muslim from Egypt isn't the same type of piety that Indian Muslims honor.

There's a weird misconception that Islam is the same the world over.

"Global Islam" is a subject worth looking into.

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
Sorry Chimps, I meant no offence... I guess I based my comment on the usual marriage arrangements of many Pakistani and Indian communities here, where arranged marriages are dominant.
But your Memon culture seems to be a mix of a number of religions and one I had never heard of before.

Masrawi.... thanks..... at least I may win now if ever that question comes up in Trivial Pursuit lol

Night everyone.... I got work tomorrow [Wink]

Member # 10093

Member Rated:
HES OOF INDIAN DECENT MY EX OK ,AIM DECENDANT OF THE BLACKS THAT INTERGRATED WHEN ISLAM WAS INTODUCED AND FORTU-NATE TO BE MEMON FOR ME AND IM PRoUD OF WHO AND WHAT WE ARE ..HAVE U SEEN ME judge u and ask and diss u for what u are all i asked was do u have problems not for any one to lay the crap on me for being who i am and what i am ok ....its for u to say who ur and have u faced problems ok so stop laying it on me ok ....
Shareen
Member # 989

Member Rated:
I agree with you OC (cant get used to you not being Sonomod lol)...... And I do realise that there are varying degrees of Islam.... I just never heard of Memon before, so I cannot comment on the degree of piety involved.
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonomod_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Masrawi.... thanks..... at least I may win now if ever that question comes up in Trivial Pursuit lol

No, its considered being culturally sensitive, not winning board game material.

Arranged marriages aren't common in Muslim India, only in the UK.

Due to the fact that no Indian/Pakistani family wants to see their daughter run off with an Englishman. I don't blame them for the pratice. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1765 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonomod_me
Member # 10522

quote:
I agree with you OC (cant get used to you not being Sonomod lol)...... And I do realise that there are varying degrees of Islam.... I just never heard of Memon before, so I cannot comment on the degree of piety involved.

I've never heard of Memon before either. But there are various strains of the Sikh faith.

I had read somehow that there are 200 recorded and organized sects of Islam. Probably over 600 not fully recognized outside of their communities.

Sunni Muslims in Egypt just want the world (including those pesky Wahabis of KSA) to think there is only one Islam and that pagan or traditional forms of worship haven't blended with Islam. But that isn't true.

I am kinda waiting for some deviant misuse of this username, which will happen sooner or later. At least my hemorriods aren't on my mind as much since the misuse of "sonomod" isn't available.

After a flame war I purposely reach for the Preparation H, before leaving the home for the PC Lab, knowing there will be a psychoschematic response to the creative misuse of my username.

Member # 10093

Member Rated:
im not a sunni ,im a sufi ,are you a shiah or what are you i suppose you want to rule the world ,i know i dont wud not want the responcibility..
Taher
Member # 10503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Taher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shareen

Member # 989

Member Rated:
posted 25 April, 2006 05:57 PM
mac
Chimps has never claimed to be caucasian English, nor has Chimps ever claimed to be Middle Eastern. Isnt it obvious that she is Indian/Pakistani descent, probably 2nd generation immigrant as her english is not good.
Probably from Pakistan as I dont think many Indians are muslim. I do have to say though, that I find it strange that she has been allowed to divorce one husband and marry a bedouin....

Actually, India has the second largest Muslim population in the world after Indonesia.

Posts: 166 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taher
Member # 10503

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Taher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The online encyclopedia gives this definition of memons:

Memons are Sunni Hanafi Muslims, and they originated when a group of Hindus from Sindh belonging to the Kshatriya Lohana caste converted to Islam by Sufi missionaries of the Qadiri order.
According to Dadani, Memon community came into existence in 824 Hijri (1422 CE) when 700 families comprising of 6,178 persons belonging to the Lohana community of Sindh accepted Islam.
The devotion of Memons to Sheikh Abdul Qadir Jilani (founder of the Qadiri order) is well-known. Although Memons tend to be religious, they have retained many cultural traits from their pre-Islamic past.
According to Mr. Anthovan, Those Lohanas of Thhato, who had converted to Islam too and become Memons were invited by Jarejho Roa Khanghar, ruler of Bhuj (1548-1584) to settle in Bhuj. It is from there that Katchi Memons migrated to Kathiawar and Gujarat. Surat in Gujarat was an important trading center during 1580 to 1680 and Memons made their bounty there. Later, the Memons reached Bombay.
Diwan Bherumal M. Advani writes that all the Memons of Bombay, Gujarat and Kutch are Lohanas from Sind. (A volume written by Mr. Anthovan, part 2, pages 52 and 53.)
Another theory states that Memons originated in 1422 CE from Thatta in Sindh. The converts were first called Momins or Mumins and the term, with the march of time, changed to Memons. This is revealed in a book entitled 'Abraazul Hq' by Sayed Ameeruddin Nuzat, under the guidance of one Peer Buzrug Alli, published in Bombay in 1873. The story related therein states that some 700 Lohana families, (inclusive, perhaps of some earlier covert and neo-Muslim converts) comprising of some 6178 individuals, accepted Islam at the hands one Sayed Yusuffuddin Quadri R.A. and finding themselves banished by their erstwhile Hindu brothers were forced to migrate.
This was also stated by Hussain Cassim Dada from his Presidential Chail at the first ever All India Memon Conference in Rajkot in the year 1931.
Memons migrated from Sindh to Kutch, and Kathiawar (Kathiawad) in modern Gujarat following their conversion.
Memons spread throughout the Indian Ocean basin in the 19th century, but most Memons lived in Kathiawar, prior to the Partition of India. Many later settled in Pakistan. Today, they are scattered throughout India and Pakistan, with significant communities in the United Kingdom, Canada, USA and South Africa.
[edit]

Posts: 166 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mac0623
Member # 10529

UMMM UMMM UMMMM EVERY BODY US GETTING BLINDED BY WHAT IS SAID NOT HOW IT IS SAID PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

mac0623
Member # 10529

HER ENGLISH IS VERY GOOD IF YOU READ THE POST AND THEN BREAKS DOWN WHEN SUITED BUT THIS IS NOT HOW PIGON ENGLISH IS WRITEN
mac0623
Member # 10529

CHIMPS U MUST THINK IAM STUPID ,DONT TREAT ME AS...BEEN IN THAT NECK OF THE WOODS TO LONG AND PLEASE DONT PRIVATE POST ME WITH THAT STUPID PIGEON ENGLISH AS DOES NOT FOOL ME AT ALL.PEOPLE WHO SPEAK PIGEON ENGLISH DO NOT WRITE IT.
UR GRAMMER IN OTHER POSTS AND RESPONSE TIME IS TOO FAST AND A LET DOWN .I ASKED U QUESTION AND NEVER GOT THE ANSWER SO PLEASE DONT BE MAD AT ME .
THERE IS A TOWN HALL CLOCK NEAR ME THAT TOO HAS MANY SIDES [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] 4 NOW

Member # 10093

Member Rated:
[Razz] [Razz]
Melati
Member # 9610

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melati     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whats pidgeon english in uk? Is it jamaican kind of background?
In south pacific its used to mean from papua new guinea and some melanesian background people-also a version i hawaii I think.Its an actalu language though, Im sure..???

Posts: 872 | From: Sydney | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 10093

Member Rated:
[Wink]
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
ok i had a brief look at the site, it seems memon is a bit like me saying im an English Muslim and making that a new 'sect' too.

--------------------

Member # 10093

Member Rated:
no we been around for a long time ok we do nothing wrong ok why dont you look in the world to how many different muslims are in the world ,and u will see .but the converts r changing the face of islam any way /why is that ...
Member # 10093

Member Rated:
ISLAM in INDIA

The Muslims are about 12% of India's population. But their influence on the Indian society was much stronger. The main reason was that there were many Muslims rulers in different parts of India. Most of the Muslim rulers of India were invaders from the west (see India in the past ).

Islam was established in Saudi Arabia. But most of Islam's spreaders in India arrived from non-Arab countries (It must be noted that Arab traders and travellers had arrived into India even before Islam was established in Arabia. These Arabs probably had their own places of worship, later on transformed into mosques.). The first spreaders of Islam in India were individuals who saw in spreading Islam a holy precept. They began coming to India from the 11th century . They arrived in India from Bukhara, Turkey, Iran, Yemen and Afghanistan. The most famous preacher of Islam in India was Khwaja Chishti, who arrived from Iran and his sect is called Sufism. But the accepted assumption in India is that most of India's Muslims were converted to Islam through the sword. Meaning the Indians were given an option between death or adopting Islam. The third option was getting examined in Islam religion along with heavy taxes- Jeziya (poll tax) and Kharaj (property tax).

The process of converting Indians to Islam began in the 8th century, when the Arabs began invading north India and present day Pakistan. After the Arabs other Muslims invaded India. These invasions by Muslims in India were not continuous and not all Muslim invaders were Islamic fanatics. One of the Moghul emperors, Akbar, was very liberal and he even established a new religion, Din E Elahi, which included in it, beliefs from different religions. In some of the monuments built by Akbar symbols of different religions are visible. In contrast with Akbar his great grand son, Aurangazeb, was a fanatic Muslim and during his term the non-Muslims suffered a lot. Many worshipping sites of different religions were destroyed and transformed into mosques.

Most of the Indian Muslims converted to Islam were belonged to the lower classes of the Indian society. Besides these Muslims there are also Muslims who belonged to the ruling families of the different Indian kingdoms. Some of these rulers were Hindus who actually belonged to the warrior castes of the Hindu society and adopted Islam. Others are descendants of Muslim rulers who invaded India. The different Muslim rulers of India also brought to their kingdoms Muslim mercenaries, businessmen and slaves from different parts of the world like Russia; Afghanistan; Turkey; Arab countries and Africa. These people remained in India, married local Indians and converted them to Islam. Because of the different origins as stated and because of other reasons the Muslims of India refer to themselves not only as Muslims but also with other titles.

In general the Muslims of India like the Muslim world is divided into two main sects, Sunni and Shia. And just like in the whole Muslim world there is tension between these two sects. Each sect has many different schools. There are also Muslims who claim to be the descendants from the daughter of Prophet Muhammad and the men in this community add the title Syed before their names. Other claim to be the descendants from the first Muslims and add the title Sheik. Along with these Muslim world divisions, the Indian Muslims also have other divisions.

Different communities who adopted Islam in different ways have different community names. In west India the Bohra and Khoja are Muslim communities who adopted Islam influenced by different Muslim preachers. The Khojas also split into different communities. The leader of the Khoja (Nizari) community is Aga Khan. The Nawait are descendants of Arab and Persian immigrants. In south India in the state of Kerala, the Mophilla community is descendants from Arab merchants. A well known Indian Muslim community is Pathan. The Pathan are Muslims who arrived from Afghanistan. They normally have their surname as Khan. The Pathan have an image of being brave, honest and righteous. Many Indians who adopted Islam adopted the surname Khan and they claim that they are Pathans, which is not always true. The original Pathans claim that they originate from the Tribes of Israel.

In the beginning of the 20th century, some reformist Muslims organizations evolved in India who wanted to adjust Islamic philosophy to the modern world. These organizations wanted to cancel polygamy and were in favor of women education.

its probably why cus most of us are from the hindu or sikh and the sect and culture has been handed down on us .i admit we have a few hindu traditions in us but we afaithfull to ALLAH and u need to go to a place in india and pakistan where hindu and muslims actually pray together ..its a mixed up world and most of us emmigrated to africa and colonised there and intergrated with the africans of islam origen or they were converts .islam has more history than you can imagine .same goes for alexandria when he conquered the hindu khush the women there are of green eyed .my ancestory is not limited it goes way back ..in my family which is a shame im known has a throw back pure green eyes ..and they cause a problem for me ..doctors say its cus of the genes ..which to this day im not understand ....you can have green eyes and pure green eyes .whats the difference to long to tell and complicated ..but we are memons and we are HERE

Morgan
Member # 6662

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Morgan   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it is always "low life" who convert to Islam
that rigth [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1223 | From: Home | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ichigo
Member # 10434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ichigo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“There is much less envy of the rich by the poor than there is of the happy by the unhappy; by those who believe by those who don’t believe.”
Posts: 184 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ichigo:
“There is much less envy of the rich by the poor than there is of the happy by the unhappy; by those who believe by those who don’t believe.”

That's a nice quote...where is it from?

I remember that after I became a Muslim I met a group of my old friends, most of them senior professionals in their fields. Many of them said that although they didn't know enough about Islam or really understand why I had become a Muslim, that they did envy me for having found something that I believed in strongly enough to commit myself to it, and they hoped that one day they too would find something that they could commit themselves too. [Smile]

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
chimps, what you are talking about IS as I said. Its 'tribes' to call it another word. Nothing to do with ISLAM but everything to do with CULTURE. Yes reverts may be a different 'sect' now, or 'of' a different 'tribe' but ISLAM should be the same and totally seperate from culture.

--------------------

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
quote:
Originally posted by Ichigo:

That's a nice quote...where is it from?

I remember that after I became a Muslim I met a group of my old friends, most of them senior professionals in their fields. Many of them said that although they didn't know enough about Islam or really understand why I had become a Muslim, that they did envy me for having found something that I believed in strongly enough to commit myself to it, and they hoped that one day they too would find something that they could commit themselves too. [Smile]

It is a nice quote. I remember 2 distinct things different people told me at the beginning, one was 'take it as slow as you need to' in learning everything, the other a young Pakistani woman, said 'be sure to get ISLAM and not CULTURE' she said that as she had recently started to actually look at her religion, she was a 'born' muslim and naturally been bought up by parents who had also bought in the 'cultural' things and even thought them to be Islamic when they are not.
Member # 10093

Member Rated:
ok i cud agree with you there has i said its just a topic ok ..but of you was to say that to my grandparents of 80yrs they wud tut at you if yougot my meaning ...okey dokey .well cemented in there ways..

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com