EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » hmmmm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hmmmm
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if a tree falls in the forest and no ones around to hear it, does it make a sound?

no, i havnt lost it, my daughter is trying out for a top school (shes in the accelerated learning program for the gifted and talented) and this was a test question.. i thought it was a crap question, my 10 year old daughter then wrote an essay on it that floored me!

so, come on.. does it?.......

Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mysticheart
Member # 6838

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mysticheart   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahaha, i believe it does we just dont hear it. The fact that no one is around to hear it doesnt change the fact it makes the same sound when it falls as if someone were there to witness it.

--------------------
http://image.lafemmebonita.com/c/av879029.jpg

Posts: 2410 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charm el Feikh?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any one else got any opinions on the matter???
Posts: 5642 | From: hellonearth.myfastforum.org Forum Index | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ExptinCAI
Member # 1439

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ExptinCAI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well, according to the quantum theory the tree may or may not be there. we don't know for sure until we witness the tree there, thereby influencing its what'sitcalled...probability curve (i think)
Posts: 2182 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
do u hear the sound of the aunt?
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the tree will create sound waves....which is what we hear....but if nobody hears it....if there is no ear or equipment to actually interpret the sounds waves, then I say no sound is made.

And the quantum theory -- that is so above my head I'm still looking. [Big Grin] Guess I have some more reading to do. [Wink]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ExptinCAI:
well, according to the quantum theory the tree may or may not be there. we don't know for sure until we witness the tree there, thereby influencing its what'sitcalled...probability curve (i think)

YES... now, when i studied physics i read the book 'schrodingers cat' which was all about this very subject.. but HELLO!!!! my 10 YEAR OLD daughter is answering essay style questions on this! i never gave it any serious thought at all till she started talking about wave interpretation.. then i stopped what i was doing and sat down!!!!
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tricky question. If the tree falls, the impact causes sound waves, which require sound perceptors to pick up the noise. 'No one' implies human beings, but animals can hear sound too. So, if the tree is not in a vacuum...and there are no animals, birds, humans around, the sound potential would be created but would there would be no one to hear it.
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by What's In a Name?:
Well, the tree will create sound waves....which is what we hear....but if nobody hears it....if there is no ear or equipment to actually interpret the sounds waves, then I say no sound is made.

And the quantum theory -- that is so above my head I'm still looking. [Big Grin] Guess I have some more reading to do. [Wink]

oh.. should have read all the responses before posting.. you are correct. the tree makes no 'sound' only waves. sound only happens in our ears, our ears interpret the waves created by movement. she even went on to explain that if we were standing in front of the tree when it fell, then we travelled at the speed of sound away from the tree, we wouldnt hear the sound it made.

something to think about isnt it?!!!

LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends how you define sound, is it the frequency made? then sound is there whether we hear it or not but if sound is the interpretation of frequency then receptor will have to exist but think about this, what if you're deaf and the sound frequncies are hitting your ear but you don't hear? or what if your ear is abnormal and it interpretate frequncies different from normal ones, will that count? or what if the frequncy is higher -ultrasound- that some animal can hear and some can't, can we say sound exists and not exist at same time?

I think interpretating sound as the frequncy will be less troubing this way we will avoid the contradiction of sound existence , as we can say it exists but not preceived by everyone. Same goes for visible light or IR and UV

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LaZeeZ
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LaZeeZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm in a second thought I'm finding my explanation problematic too because I'm not making any distinction between sound and light as both are waves and it's only through our receptors that we tell what's sound and what's light but then If I say "NO it doesn't exist" I will be lying because I believe in God who hears and see all.

I'll say move your daughtur to another school [Smile]

Posts: 1539 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
LOL!!! she spoke about light waves too! i think i have a genius on my hands.. she has been attending high school part time for a while now. she asked me today if i could buy her some GCSE books as she is interested in sitting a few BEFORE she starts high school! the school she wants to go to just got ranked number one in britain.

... and i was planning on home educating her in egypt!!!!

Connie Anderson
Member # 11479

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Connie Anderson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I fart here in Minnesota, can you hear it or smell it in London Charm? Do you know it exists?

Well if my experience with junior high boy's boxers are any indication of truth, just because I wasn't there to smell it and dealt it doesn't mean it didn't smell. Proof in point lazy stay at home mom won't put bleach in her boy's white laundry, so the skid marks are still there strategically located on their boxers, there is no mistake what happened! If it left a mark then it must have smelt very badly.

Posts: 991 | From: My daughter is a stalker | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Freaking Charm dragging out the old That darn cat.. Schrodinger's cat argument.

For gods sake! Making me think is contrary to my common internet experience.

Quantum theories of superpositions...subatomic...mutter mutter..mumble..drool....MMMMMM Beer

Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bbqrobhaz
Member # 2581

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bbqrobhaz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a standard quote from philosophy text books. An answer could be - what is a sound if it's not heard? I studied philosophy see!
Posts: 46 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
LOL cosmo... so sorry sweetie!!!

bbq.. ive since looked it up and i see its a question used to help 'clear the mind'.. OMG!

bbqrobhaz
Member # 2581

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bbqrobhaz   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charm... OMG indeed... clear the mind? What crap! How about just frustrate someone over an issue that will never effect how they live each day?!
Posts: 46 | From: Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
lol... so true... although i think it really has deeply affected my life.. or is that twisted my mind... its made me develop a nervous twitch!!!
cairobug
Member # 10571

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cairobug   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Charm: OMG I read schroedinger's kittens--didn't know anyone normal that read it, but just for fun...you can imagine the depths of my social life now j/k.

--------------------
Disclaimer: My posts are not meant to personally offend anyone. If you find yourself reading my posts repeatedly, you are kindly asked to seek the help of a professional [Smile]

Posts: 483 | From: cairo | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Charm el Feikh?
Member # 10243

Rate Member
haha... i havnt read the kittens... the cat was enough for me!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com