EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Off With Martha's Head

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Off With Martha's Head
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Martha Stewart was on her way to make an appearance on The View Tuesday when she noticed she was being followed by a police cruiser. When her car stopped at the studio, it was surrounded by officers and her driver was promptly arrested. Page Six reports:

A visibly upset Stewart went up to her dressing room and, according to a source, "started shouting loudly to an assistant over the phone." The domestic diva yelled, "How could you do this to me? Don't you do background checks on people? He was Egyptian! What do I pay you people for?"

OK, who of you brought the gigolo not only into the country, but also into 7agga Martha's car?

No really, do Egyptians have a bad name in the US now after 9/11 and all that?

I mean what did madame old fart actually mean with that statement of hers?

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no i do think they do. it is the look they have that tends to make people suspecious of them. martha stewart shouldnt talk all the trouble she has been in lately
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just sounds completely racist to me!
Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what she meant~
[Confused]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too be really honest in some parts of the country a lot of people are very racist towards arabs and/or Egyptians. Many people wore very quick to point out to me when I was dating an Egyptian that some of the 9/11 hijackers were Egyptians. I would say at least in the area I live in the people do not usually distinguish Egyptians and other arabs, they are all lumped together.
Please don't attack me, these are not my views, just informing you of what I see in my narrow-minded part of the USA.

Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ Why should you be attacked? Thanks for sharing!

I have a feeling that the Americans we come across abroad at work are the highly educated minority, and that the majority that never goes abroad has a much more rigid mentality. The types that vote for Bush, you know!

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valerie
Member # 6806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valerie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel that there are certain peoples in the US who are developing a biase against Arabs as they did against African/Americans.....remember when they called them the 'N'word?.

In Martha Stewart's case was it HER driver who was Egyptian?

Her TV program's are shown in Egypt. At first they were quite interesting. Now I am much wiser. They are just full of adverts for Martha Stewart this Martha Stewart that, and she is so cheesy. How do you in the US put up with her? Me I have a switch, but in the US she is like a rash, she is on news stands,fabrics, selling homes,you name it she has a finger dipped into it [Eek!] [Eek!]

Perhaps she should get in touch with Paris Hilton and give her a few tips .... [Razz]

Posts: 290 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
OK, who of you brought the gigolo not only into the country, but also into 7agga Martha's car?

No really, do Egyptians have a bad name in the US now after 9/11 and all that?

I mean what did madame old fart actually mean with that statement of hers?

So what's the difference between your skewed view of egyptians as "gigolos", your desire to see them all "f*ck off & die", and Martha's xenophobia and angst at being in proximity with an arab?

I guess we should lop your head off as well, according to your logic.

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ Saba7 el-kheer ya Vanilla, did you drop your sarcasm antenna somewhere in the weekend?

Where did I say that ALL Egyptians need to fcuk off and die? He was illegal, therefore he probably came into the US via either a fake visa or a sugar mama.

However, I do need to stress on the fact that I'd like to see Egyptians who give their country a bad name abroad, or at home for that matter, fcuk off and die indeed.

Damn, that's about 99% of us.

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the U.S. discriminates against Egyptians any more than we do against any other person from the middle east with a Muslim name. We are kind of equal opportunity like that. [Roll Eyes]

Sigh.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for henita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I have a feeling that the Americans we come across abroad at work are the highly educated minority, and that the majority that never goes abroad has a much more rigid mentality. The types that vote for Bush, you know!

Correct me if I'm wrong.

As for my experience,no,not all Americans or in my case,my fellow Puertorricans with a high education necessarily escape from the racist idea to consider all Arabs dangerous in the sense of linking them to terrorism.Sad but true [Frown]
Most of those with this ideas have never travelled abroad or had on site experiences with Middle Eastern population.I would say that more than level of education it has to do with hands-on experience.
Everytime i mention to peers i'm again off to visit any muslim country i get a flood of terrified looks and warnings [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 1339 | From: Om Leito | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snoozin' is the right one here, we're equal opportunity haters with respect to Middle Easterners these days (the majority of us). I have noticed that the Americans who really do finally get to know a middle eastern person in REAL LIFE and not just what they are told to believe from tv really have a turn around. The first thing they say is 'he/she isn't what I expected from an Arab', but I get the same comments from women in Egypt, 'you're not what I expected an American to be like'. I often ask, 'what did you expect?' and they reply embarrassingly, 'kind of rude, I thought Americans would act like they think they're better than us'. I guess that makes us even since I expected everyone here to own a camel. SNORT.. just kidding. [Big Grin]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for henita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
< I guess that makes us even since I expected everyone here to own a camel. SNORT.. just kidding.>

ROFL [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1339 | From: Om Leito | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veronica ella
Member # 13434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veronica ella   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we miss trusted everyone,whether,they are from the middle east,or not,god what a sad world we would be living,in we have are problems here in the uk especially in ireland,but we can not judge every one,one of my friends is irish,and she is great.there are a few muslims take their children to the local school.i have noticed some of the parents,dont involve them in the school yard.i for one go out of my way,to speak,their children play with mine,and i think it is a good way for the children to learn about each others culture.
Posts: 126 | From: england | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veronica ella
Member # 13434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veronica ella   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must be behind the times,i thought Martha Stewart was behind bars.
Posts: 126 | From: england | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Valerie:
I feel that there are certain peoples in the US who are developing a biase against Arabs as they did against African/Americans.....remember when they called them the 'N'word?.

In Martha Stewart's case was it HER driver who was Egyptian?

Her TV program's are shown in Egypt. At first they were quite interesting. Now I am much wiser. They are just full of adverts for Martha Stewart this Martha Stewart that, and she is so cheesy. How do you in the US put up with her? Me I have a switch, but in the US she is like a rash, she is on news stands,fabrics, selling homes,you name it she has a finger dipped into it [Eek!] [Eek!]

Perhaps she should get in touch with Paris Hilton and give her a few tips .... [Razz]

This is true and unfortunately it is acceptable in America to mock Arabs and Muslims. This is demonstrated time and time again on TV, Cinema and even in some of America’s most reputable newspapers.

Valerie makes a good point one that is supported by many intellectuals. Noam Chomsky wrote that Arabs and Muslims face a similar ‘acceptable’ discrimination reminiscent of the bias against African Americans in America’s past.

Hate transcends education; a PhD does not relieve a person of racist tendencies. I think most people who travel abroad are much more tolerant of different ethnicities. This holds true for travelers of all nationalities. I think we are less pompous and arrogant when we are not on our home soil and this is my opinion. The fact is most people choose to travel for the sheer pleasure of experiencing other cultures. That kind of mentality is definitely beautiful and it isn’t incumbent upon education or social class. America has many Islamophobes and it sad that there isn’t a voice to tell Americans *this is wrong*.

If people actually studied hate crimes in America they would conclude [1]:

1. Hate crimes in America are very low compared to European nations.

2. Hate crimes perpetrated against Muslims outnumber hate crimes perpetrated against Christians.

What stands out here is the fact that Christians in America represent approximately 75% of the total population while Muslims only account for 1% of the population. [2] This further proves that hatred and discrimination is focused on Muslims. It is real and not imagined. Anti-Semitism also abounds but there are numerous organizations and campaigns that act against this specific hatred. You will never witness Anti-Semitism in newspapers without severe repercussions taking place. It is simply not acceptable but Arab bashing is acceptable and so is Muslim bashing. You will hear people say but it is funny … there is nothing funny about discrimination and racism! … You will hear people say but it is much better for ‘them’ here than elsewhere … Many Arabs and Muslims actually don’t even report many hate incidents … this is possibly attributed to the prevailing acceptance of Islamphobia in American society.

[1] http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2005/table1.htm

[2] https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.html#People

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, thanks Sobriquet. You just depressed the absolute hell out of me.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by veronica ella:
I must be behind the times,i thought Martha Stewart was behind bars.

No they swapped her for Paris.
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snoozin - Bokra Fil Mish Mish:

America definitely has an ugly side and it must be exposed. Try not to take it personally it is only a discussion. I do know when/if we have a child the name might be neutral. I also discussed with my wife that it might be detrimental to have a ‘place of birth’ in a Muslim or Arab country and that it might be best to conceive in the U.S.

You never know how ugly it might get especially with the possibility of a Giuliani/Mccain presidency.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for FairyDust     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

As others have stated, I think it has more to do with exposure to people of different ethnicities as well as travel to foreign lands than education. I have seen very racist people that are highly educated. I also think the more open-minded the person is the less likely they are to draw the wrong conclusions about a group of people. Wow this would make a great study for a research paper!
Posts: 333 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra88:
quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

As for my experience,no,not all Americans or in my case,my fellow Puertorricans with a high education necessarily escape from the racist idea to consider all Arabs dangerous in the sense of linking them to terrorism.Sad but true [Frown]
Most of those with this ideas have never travelled abroad or had on site experiences with Middle Eastern population.I would say that more than level of education it has to do with hands-on experience.
Everytime i mention to peers i'm again off to visit any muslim country i get a flood of terrified looks and warnings [Roll Eyes]

Oooopsss,sorry here [Frown] ..<fellow Puertorricans with a high education necessarily escape from the racist idea to consider all Arabs dangerous in the sense of linking them to terrorism.>

What i meant is that they Don't necessarily escape.....

Edited for missed word.

FairyDust
Member # 7138

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra88:
Everytime i mention to peers i'm again off to visit any muslim country i get a flood of terrified looks and warnings [Roll Eyes] [/QB]

Yes, I too have had this experience. When I went to Egypt I had a friend who called me at least twice a day to check on me. No one would travel with me, maybe you and I should be travel partners!
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
quote:

America definitely has an ugly side and it must be exposed. Try not to take it personally it is only a discussion. I do know when/if we have a child the name might be neutral. I also discussed with my wife that it might be detrimental to have a ‘place of birth’ in a Muslim or Arab country and that it might be best to conceive in the U.S.

You never know how ugly it might get especially with the possibility of a Giuliani/Mccain presidency.

I know the U.S. has a very ugly side, but I'm quite used to dealing with it in the context of *me.* Now I've got this little innocent baby boy with the cutest smile, and the thought of someone discriminating against him, or worse, harming him, is too much to bear.

My mom said to me the other day, "I hope to God his first word isn't in Arabic!" [Mad] I said I pray to God each day the boy is even able to speak. Arabic from his lips will be the sweetest sound I hope to ever hear.

My step-son is severely autistic and will never utter a word. When I look at him, all the hate on the planet seems so pointless. We still have far greater problems to face than our mere differences.

henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by FairyDust:
quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong.

As others have stated, I think it has more to do with exposure to people of different ethnicities as well as travel to foreign lands than education. I have seen very racist people that are highly educated. I also think the more open-minded the person is the less likely they are to draw the wrong conclusions about a group of people. Wow this would make a great study for a research paper!
I have the dubious "honor" to work besides extremely narrow minded physicians regarding different ethnicities and nationalities,so go figure that it has nothing to do with having a higher education. [Roll Eyes]
daria1975
Member # 6244

Tell me, what the heck does this mean today? Or was it always a lie? [Frown]

The New Colossus
Not like the brazen giant of Greek frame,
with conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gate shall stand
a mighty woman with a torch
whose flame is imprisoned lighting,
and her name is Mother of Exiles.

From her beacon-hand glows
world-wide welcome;
her mild eyes command the air-bridged harbor
that twin cities frame.
"Keep ancient lands your storied pomp!"
cries she with silent lips.

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
quote:
quote:

I know the U.S. has a very ugly side, but I'm quite used to dealing with it in the context of *me.* Now I've got this little innocent baby boy with the cutest smile, and the thought of someone discriminating against him, or worse, harming him, is too much to bear.

Anyone foolish enough to mess with a lawyer or her baby would definitely be out of his mind. [Smile]
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:

Anyone foolish enough to mess with a lawyer or her baby would definitely be out of his mind. [Smile]

Hmmm, I think it's anyone foolish enough to mess with a *mother*. Period. [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com