EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Men holding hands in the Arab world (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Men holding hands in the Arab world
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 6 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1123

What is your opinion on this subject? [Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its not just an Arab thing, it happens all over the Eastern world.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes newcomer, but I thought we might discuss it as it pertains to the arab world.

When I first saw this in Egypt I was rather shocked, but I quickly got used to seeing it. While I find it refreshing that men are openly able to show affection to one another (and why not?) I also find it equally nice that the women do so easily as well.

I am finding more and more that those that are NOT engaged nor married are not as quick to hold hands or arms...which brings the point, is homosexuality easier to conceal (in an open way?) than heterosexual unwedded relationships? [Confused]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
Yes newcomer, but I thought we might discuss it as it pertains to the arab world.

Ok, smuckers, if you think that there are traits to this behaviour that are specific to the Arab world, I'll wait to hear your ideas.
Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have something to offer this thread other than that? [Confused]
newcomer
Member # 1056

I might have, but you didn't seem to want to hear it.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

As you see it, ok. Happy Ramadan.
Any other views anyone?

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i want to here them newcomer and assured smucks does too.
i feel a good feeling when i see this. at least people are showing acts of friendship and we need more of that in this world. it doesn't mean everyone is gay because they hold hands . i wish more people could be that affectionate towards their friends [Smile]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by MICKY A:
i want to here them newcomer and assured smucks does too.
i feel a good feeling when i see this. at least people are showing acts of friendship and we need more of that in this world. it doesn't mean everyone is gay because they hold hands . i wish more people could be that affectionate towards their friends [Smile]

I agree, I have noticed that (at least in America) there must be some serious homophobia going on where the men cannot even be friendly in this manner...but it is a different culture so I guess that is understandable.

Did you have a shock when you first saw it Micky? [Smile]

Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes i did i asked hubby why they did it and the girls do it too , but when he explained it to me , i felt happy about how such a nation loves their friends so much, here in the states they would all talk but thats ashame its just an act of love towards friend, a beautiful thing [Smile]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most western visitors to Egypt are suprised to see men holding hands, yet learn that it is frowned upon for even married couples to display affection in public, by the more traditional element.

Having spent a lot of time in Egypt, it's not something I give a second thought about, but it is a surprise to many tourists! Smucker's point on married men not holding hands so much is an interesting one.

Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit I feel uncomfortable when I see boy's/males holding hands and with arms around each other. And the kissing when they meet is another matter.
I have been brought up in a culture where this does not happen so perhaps thats why I am uncomfortable.

Also being western I can only shake hands with male friends, in this country, normally a close male friend would get a peck on the cheek...that is not accepted here in Egypt

Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's acceptable to hold hands within the same gender in the Arab world because we are denial of the existence of homosexuality.

I believe that many marriages in Egypt are lavender ones.

Maybe that's the deep down reason why I hate Oprah & her StUdman so much. [Wink]

I hate hypocrisy.

Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:

[Eek!] seriously? [Eek!]
Pink cherry
Member # 13979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pink cherry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

[Eek!] seriously? [Eek!]
I have thought that as well....just look out your window, or when you go shopping...... [Eek!]
Posts: 643 | From: Over there | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would homosexuality be higher in Egypt than anywhere else? I appreciate the arguments that may be made, regarding frustrated sexuality, general attitudes and civil liberties. Being a homosexual isn't regarded as a matter of convenience in the west. Pragmatic homosexuality in Egypt? Not sure I buy it. [Confused] Any research to support on this?
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

I know there MUST BE homosexuality in Egypt as in any other country, I just wonder how it can be established to be higher than anywhere else, also. Especially if people aren't willing to admit to it...someone said a while back that it could be because of the sexual frustration going on here, but would that really turn you gay? [Confused] I don't care how sexually frustrated I might get, sorry, I'm not finding another woman appealing ...
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SWYS, homosexuality numbers are not higher or lower in Egypt than anywhere else. I said that there are many lavender marriages, maybe a little less or equivalent to the number of the homosexuals in Egypt who would never dare come out of the Anbooba [Big Grin]
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

To be honest I had never heard of a lavender marriage, I had to look it up ((blushing)). [Big Grin]
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
I don't care how sexually frustrated I might get, sorry, I'm not finding another woman appealing ...

Errr, wait till you get pregnant with a boy and then talk, OK?

Man, those were the most disgusting dreams. [Big Grin]

seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
quote:
I don't care how sexually frustrated I might get, sorry, I'm not finding another woman appealing ...

Errr, wait till you get pregnant with a boy and then talk, OK?

Man, those were the most disgusting dreams. [Big Grin]

ROFL [Big Grin] omg, I did have a dream when I was pregnant with this little girl, but it was really bad I can't say it...that's normal?? Freaky weird dreams? [Razz] I just thought I was a freak. [Embarrassed]
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
MK, no, you didn't. The phrase ''many marriages in Egypt are lavender ones' gave me that impression. I wouldn't say this about western marriages but your point on the anbooba would contribute to a difference.
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
ROFL [Big Grin] omg, I did have a dream when I was pregnant with this little girl, but it was really bad I can't say it...that's normal?? Freaky weird dreams? [Razz] I just thought I was a freak. [Embarrassed]

No you're no freak. It's totally normal. [Frown]

Scheisse, no? [Big Grin]

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
edit
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
quote:

Yes, totally normal. [Frown]

Scheisse, no? [Big Grin]

Moi Scheisse Zift! [Razz] (that's three languages in one). [Wink]
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Smuck I edited in case you thought I meant you're a freak.
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Yea thanks, but I knew what you meant...I guess the hormones cause weird dreams. [Smile]
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
MK, no, you didn't. The phrase ''many marriages in Egypt are lavender ones' gave me that impression. I wouldn't say this about western marriages but your point on the anbooba would contribute to a difference.

[Smile]
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest the men holding hands bothers me. What bothers me more is that a man and women holding hands is considered to be shameful.

Then again I have never been to Egypt.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
of-gold...it's traditionally regarded as not appropriate in public. There are exceptions, of course, and you do see Egyptian couples holding hands. They are outnumbered by men holding hands with men though!
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...but why is it tradition to be not appropriate to hold a womans hand yet it is appropriate for men to hold hands?

Something else that comes to my mind is that men are stimulated by touching. I am sure that every woman can attest to this.

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
^^ Men are stimulated by anything- be it touch or smell or sound or a gunshot in the face.
of_gold
Member # 13418

quote:
^^ Men are stimulated by anything- be it touch or smell or sound or a gunshot in the face.

[Confused]
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Yea, that gunshot thing really gets their attention pretty quick. [Razz]
of_gold
Member # 13418

Is that what Dick was doing for his lawyer friend? Stimulating him. [Frown]
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by of_gold:
Is that what Dick was doing for his lawyer friend? Stimulating him. [Frown]

ROFL [Big Grin] WHAT ???
Ironborn
Member # 12020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ironborn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
someone said a while back that it could be because of the sexual frustration going on here, but would that really turn you gay? [Confused] I don't care how sexually frustrated I might get, sorry, I'm not finding another woman appealing ...

The Arab World seems to have a different definition of homosexuality than the West.

Men that have anal intercourse with other men, aren't necessarily gay, aslong as they are doing the penetration.

If they are being penetrated, then they would be considered unmanly, as the penetratee is seen as submissive and feminine (and thus truly gay), while the penetrator is seen as dominant and masculine.

Therefore, men that engage in or display homosexual behaviour, may not even consider themselves gay.

This strange irony can be seen in the West aswell, in prisons and other single sex institutions.

In a single sex environment, men that would not normally take part in homosexual acts in the real World, engage in sexual acts with other men, where one is dominant and the other submissive.

The dominant one still retains his masculinity, and if he ever gets out of prison, will most likely go back to banging women full time.

The submissive one however, has the label of "truly gay," and will never be considered masculine.

All in all, there is a major difference here between sexual behaviour, and sexual orientation.

Sexual behaviour does not define sexual orientation, and sexual orientation does not define sexual behaviour.

I think that this is the sort of mentality that exists in the Arab world in regards to same sex relationships.

The Ancient World had this sort of mentality aswell.

I wrote a paper in college on Human Sexuality, so I've researched this subject before.

And ofcourse, I naturally got an 'A.' [Big Grin]

~Alistair

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Alistair, I would have given you a C for all those ofcourse's, aswell's, and aslong's. [Razz]
Ironborn
Member # 12020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ironborn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SayWhatYouSee:
Most western visitors to Egypt are suprised to see men holding hands, yet learn that it is frowned upon for even married couples to display affection in public, by the more traditional element.

This is ultimately what stumped me aswell.

It seems that normal heterosexual behaviour is persecuted in the Arab World, while homosexual behaviour is allowed to flourish.

Some nations are worse than others, and the mentality could manifest itself anywhere from single sex modes of transportation (as seen in Egypt), to it being illegal to correspond with a member of the opposite sex that isn't a family member or spouse; as seen in Saudi Arabia.

~Alistair

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ironborn
Member # 12020

quote:
Alistair, I would have given you a C for all those ofcourse's, aswell's, and aslong's. [Razz]

Then I would have been vewy, vewy, angwy wiv you! [Razz]

And you don't want to see me angwy do you?

Oh no you don't!

WA-YAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! [Mad]

~Alistair

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Prince of Nothing:
quote:
someone said a while back that it could be because of the sexual frustration going on here, but would that really turn you gay? [Confused] I don't care how sexually frustrated I might get, sorry, I'm not finding another woman appealing ...

The Arab World seems to have a different definition of homosexuality than the West.

Men that have anal intercourse with other men, aren't necessarily gay, aslong as they are doing the penetration.

If they are being penetrated, then they would be considered unmanly, as the penetratee is seen as submissive and feminine (and thus truly gay), while the penetrator is seen as dominant and masculine.

Therefore, men that engage in or display homosexual behaviour, may not even consider themselves gay.

This strange irony can be seen in the West aswell, in prisons and other single sex institutions.

In a single sex environment, men that would not normally take part in homosexual acts in the real World, engage in sexual acts with other men, where one is dominant and the other submissive.

The dominant one still retains his masculinity, and if he ever gets out of prison, will most likely go back to banging women full time.

The submissive one however, has the label of "truly gay," and will never be considered masculine.

All in all, there is a major difference here between sexual behaviour, and sexual orientation.

Sexual behaviour does not define sexual orientation, and sexual orientation does not define sexual behaviour.

I think that this is the sort of mentality that exists in the Arab world in regards to same sex relationships.

The Ancient World had this sort of mentality aswell.

I wrote a paper in college on Human Sexuality, so I've researched this subject before.

And ofcourse, I naturally got an 'A.' [Big Grin]

~Alistair

Alistair - you've summed up pretty well the theories about homosexuality often put forward to explain the arab perspective. You deserved the A! [Smile] This clashes with the western view which suggests that homosexuality is not a matter of choice. The exceptions you detail relating to bisexuality are good ones. It's all pretty complicated but men being able to hold hands sure provides good cover!
of_gold
Member # 13418

Do Arab men consider them selves virgins if they are having sex with a man but have never been with a woman?

Very informative Alistair, thanks.
You get an A from me.

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A number of people of a certain 'population' in Egypt and the Middle East, the ones that have NO SELF RESPECT I mean, that hide behind masks - of all sorts - regardless of right or wrong, justify their disgusting behavior with the 'smarty pants' nonsense reasonning, that frustrates the respectable human being of any nationality whatsoever. I mean by disgusting: The ones that have sexual relations with the same gender while married, and of course betraying or fooling their spouses (both genders).
If made public, whether it is the gay 'awee' or the gay 'noss w noss' they both get the same TITLE. GAY.

The men that hold hands, and the women that hold hands in public were brought up by simplistic parents - mostly not educated, that told them it was ok, and not 'haram' to hold the hand of your best friend as brothers and sisters.

Some are ok some are not.

Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Prince of Nothing:

And you don't want to see me angwy do you?

Oh no you don't!

You know you're like this dude who always dreamed of becoming president and did everything he could to become one, and when the oval office was just one foot away, he tripped on his face over the plural of potato. [Razz]
of_gold
Member # 13418

If made public, whether it is the gay 'awee' or the gay 'noss w noss' they both get the same TITLE. GAY.

[Confused] What may I ask is the gay 'awee' and the gay 'noss w noss'?

yazid904
Member # 7708

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yazid904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In certain parts of the Arab world, homosexuality is hidden enough so as not to cause problems considering that Muslim and homosexuality appear to go together in certain quarters based on perception!

Alistair,
You deserved the 'A' but don't pick up the soap!

Posts: 1290 | From: usa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on this statement, from Alistair: "Therefore, men that engage in or display homosexual behaviour, may not even consider themselves gay."

I was saying that, in terms of what people think of men that have sexual relations with each other, whether they are 'totally' gay or 'half' gay 'in their perception', if made public, people consider them GAY.

Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member

SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by yazid904:
In certain parts of the Arab world, homosexuality is hidden enough so as not to cause problems considering that Muslim and homosexuality appear to go together in certain quarters based on perception!

Alistair,
You deserved the 'A' but don't pick up the soap!

[Big Grin] ROTFL!
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com