EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Men holding hands in the Arab world (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Men holding hands in the Arab world
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Moahahahahaahaha!!
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen this same custom in certain parts of northeastern India, especially in Nepal.

Of course it all depends on the culture. Here in America, men are expected not to show signs of affection as it is usually associated with effeminacy. Definitely not with other men, as it is considered homosexual.

I will say though, that those express homophobia the most are usually those that have homosexual tendencies or feelings themselves.

As for women on the other hand, here in the U.S. men have pretty much played out their lesbian fantasies in the media so much, there seems to be a common misconception that women are the ones with homosexual tendencies even though pyschological studies show men are twice as more like than women to have such feelings!

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have not seen anyone address why it is OK for the men to hold hands and it is a shame for the man to hold hands with a woman.

Couldn't the woman just as easily get lost in the crowd?

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Prince of Nothing, what you have described is typical prison behavior in the U.S.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MK the Most Interlectual     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ Hence the soap joke. [Wink]
Posts: 8756 | From: Tax-Free Zone | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ironborn
Member # 12020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ironborn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yazid904:
Alistair,
You deserved the 'A' but don't pick up the soap!

Going to prison is my worst nightmare! [Eek!]

I'd be like ice cream for those freaks!

They'd have one helluva time trying to a$$ rape me though. I may be pretty, but I fight like the devil.

~Alistair

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ironborn
Member # 12020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ironborn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MK the Most Interlectual:
You know you're like this dude who always dreamed of becoming president and did everything he could to become one, and when the oval office was just one foot away, he tripped on his face over the plural of potato. [Razz]

Presidential blunder:

PO-TA-TOES....... MO-NAKED-HOES... [Big Grin]

~Alistair

Posts: 1221 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ironborn
Member # 12020

quote:
Originally posted by Om Bubblemouth:
Wow, Prince of Nothing, what you have described is typical prison behavior in the U.S.

Yeah no sh!t. And this same typical prison behaviour is what Arab male homosexuality is like, judging by what I've read and heard.

Sex in the middle east, even heterosexual, seems to have a stronger theme of dominance and submission, especially with how it pertains to gender.

In the West, many men crave to be dominated by women sexually..

In the Arab World on the other hand, a man might view this as surrendering his masculinity by assuming a vulnerable or submissive role.

~Alistair

LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having grown up so close to San Francisco and being near a gay population for my whole life has perhaps colored my view of this situation.

When I see two men holding hands, my automatic assumption is that they're gay.
Even hearing that in the middle east, that it's common for men to hold hands as friends, I still feel slightly strange seeing it.
Perhaps it's all a matter of perception and if we weren't taught that only gay people did it, it wouldn't bother me.

Although it's possible all of the males in that video were heterosexual, I highly doubt it.
I don't want to say I can spot a gay person 100%, because there is no way to be 100% until someone tells you, but there are signs, and growing up where I did, I got a really good look at those signs.

One of the problems of hand holding between the opposite sex is (in countries where it's deemed unacceptable), if it's okay for married people, but not okay for people who aren't married, who's going to enforce that? Are they going to stop everyone on the street who's holding hands? Not practicle.

I'm not sure I'll ever get used to seeing men hold hands.
Hugging on the other hand seems perfectly natural.

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I'm the only one who thinks it's kind of cute when men hold hands (or I guess I've really seen more interlocked arms or arms around shoulders)?

I've only seen young guys do this, though. It just seems so.....innocent.....

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GlobalOne
Member # 13363

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GlobalOne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some social habits can not be explained and it will not be clearly understood since there is no homogeneous tendencies. Similar to the fact that when kids are 18 boys or girls they can leave their parents house and live independently in the west, or women kissing each other on the checks, or youngsters having other sex companions (boyfriend/girlfriend) or premarital sex. So some social habits comes unsuspectingly natural to some seems odd and strange to others. and as newcomer said it is not just in the Arab world. It is a sign of endearment and trust or friendship. It does not necessarily mean a public display of affection that is allowed for men and prohibited for women as you can see women also walking holding hands. I 'm assured that the reporter is a biased one with a certain agenda. since she did not see the other gender public display of this social habit.
Posts: 176 | From: Proud to be Egyptian | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GlobalOne.

I don't belive that all things done in the west to be correct. I also think there can be a lack of natural affection. That is one thing that I find distasteful about American men, the macho mentality.

But what I question is this behavior of men being so affectionate with one another an effect of the suppression of natural affection between a woman and a man?

God did create Eve for Adam.

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GlobalOne
Member # 13363

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for GlobalOne   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by of_gold:
GlobalOne.

I don't believe that all things done in the west to be correct. I also think there can be a lack of natural affection. That is one thing that I find distasteful about American men, the macho mentality.

But what I question is this behavior of men being so affectionate with one another an effect of the suppression of natural affection between a woman and a man?

God did create Eve for Adam.

Gold!

I was not arguing if it is correct(acceptable, moral) or wrong (unacceptable, unmoral). all I'm saying is it is a cultural difference and what this reporter or YOU may think is a sign of showing affection (which it is not)in my views is just a simple act of endearment which is socially acceptable in this part of the world.

as for the suppression of showing affection between man and woman That is a horse of a different color!

FYI: not all "American" men are the type of , the macho mentality. that is also a sort of generalization

Posts: 176 | From: Proud to be Egyptian | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't going to say anything as this thread seemed to have got off track, but now it is back on track, I'll add my sixpenneth.

I agree with Global One that men holding hands, sitting close together, leaning on each other, and having asexual physical contact, is just yet another cultural difference in what behaviour is socially acceptable. The men could be brothers, relatives, or just good friends. And the women do it too. You will find women who are comfortable with each other holding hands, sitting close together, leaning on each other, and having asexual physical contact, just the same as the men in this part of the world, but no one has seen that as strange and felt the need to comment - apart from fleetingly - on that as a possible way of hiding latent homosexuality.

This is just the way many people in this part of the world interact with each other when they feel close. Women will do it to me; they will come and sit close to me, lean on me, and even share my bed when I have stayed in places that are crowded with people who feel comfortable with me…with absolutely no sexual intent or innuendo. It was strange at first as I was used to the British social distance, when you don't have physical contact with anyone other than very close relatives or those you are involved with romantically/sexually, but once you get used to it, it is nice.

An Arab looking at the western world would see it as a very cold place, where people aren't affectionate and demonstrative with their friends and relatives. They sit far away from each other, kiss only when arriving or leaving apart from that there is no touching, often live alone and if not they have their own bedrooms in the family home, and they wouldn't have to guess whether most couples who are holding hands have a sexual relationship, as that question is often answered very clearly when couples do more than just holding hands in public. Yes, some of these differences are due to overcrowding, large families, and sometimes low incomes, but they are mainly linked to what is a comfortable social distance, the culturally accepted and usual way to show affection, and not necessarily an indication of sexual activity.

Almaz says that it is the behaviour of uneducated people, does that mean that the educated people have been educated not to do it and have stopped doing it due to westernisation? And if it is an indication of class to be physically undemonstrative, is that a good thing?

When we look at behaviour in another country, we interpret it with our own cultural eyes and make the implications of it due to our own cultural backgrounds. Yes, I'm sure that some of the men holding hands in the Arab world could be homosexual, as I'm sure that some of the people who show affection to children could be paedophiles, but does that mean that I should look at everyone who cuddles a child with suspicious eyes?

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we can debate to death whether the hand holding is a good thing or bad thing, but I guess in the end what we come away with is the fact that there will always be homosexuality in all soceities, no matter what. I do wish Western men were open to be more affectionate to one another, it must be exhausting having to hide that socially all of the time.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Prince of Nothing:
quote:
Originally posted by Om Bubblemouth:

Yeah no sh!t. And this same typical prison behaviour is what Arab male homosexuality is like, judging by what I've read and heard.

Sex in the middle east, even heterosexual, seems to have a stronger theme of dominance and submission, especially with how it pertains to gender.

In the West, many men crave to be dominated by women sexually..

In the Arab World on the other hand, a man might view this as surrendering his masculinity by assuming a vulnerable or submissive role.

~Alistair

Very insightful views and I agree with this. I find (in my own experiences and speaking to western women married to Arab men) that the typical Arab male is turned off by the Western womans' sexual aggression, even in marriage.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newcomer:
I wasn't going to say anything as this thread seemed to have got off track, but now it is back on track, I'll add my sixpenneth.

I agree with Global One that men holding hands, sitting close together, leaning on each other, and having asexual physical contact, is just yet another cultural difference in what behaviour is socially acceptable. The men could be brothers, relatives, or just good friends. And the women do it too. You will find women who are comfortable with each other holding hands, sitting close together, leaning on each other, and having asexual physical contact, just the same as the men in this part of the world, but no one has seen that as strange and felt the need to comment - apart from fleetingly - on that as a possible way of hiding latent homosexuality.

This is just the way many people in this part of the world interact with each other when they feel close. Women will do it to me; they will come and sit close to me, lean on me, and even share my bed when I have stayed in places that are crowded with people who feel comfortable with me…with absolutely no sexual intent or innuendo. It was strange at first as I was used to the British social distance, when you don't have physical contact with anyone other than very close relatives or those you are involved with romantically/sexually, but once you get used to it, it is nice.

An Arab looking at the western world would see it as a very cold place, where people aren't affectionate and demonstrative with their friends and relatives. They sit far away from each other, kiss only when arriving or leaving apart from that there is no touching, often live alone and if not they have their own bedrooms in the family home, and they wouldn't have to guess whether most couples who are holding hands have a sexual relationship, as that question is often answered very clearly when couples do more than just holding hands in public. Yes, some of these differences are due to overcrowding, large families, and sometimes low incomes, but they are mainly linked to what is a comfortable social distance, the culturally accepted and usual way to show affection, and not necessarily an indication of sexual activity.

Almaz says that it is the behaviour of uneducated people, does that mean that the educated people have been educated not to do it and have stopped doing it due to westernisation? And if it is an indication of class to be physically undemonstrative, is that a good thing?

When we look at behaviour in another country, we interpret it with our own cultural eyes and make the implications of it due to our own cultural backgrounds. Yes, I'm sure that some of the men holding hands in the Arab world could be homosexual, as I'm sure that some of the people who show affection to children could be paedophiles, but does that mean that I should look at everyone who cuddles a child with suspicious eyes?

What a great and thoughtful post newcomer and once again your understanding and tolerance of the Middle East shines through. What a reprieve from the stigmatization and bigotry displayed in this thread. I would also like to add that I disagree with Almaz with regard to this being a characteristic of poor people because time and time again I have seen images and video footages of Arab heads of state welcoming fellow Arab heads of state and holding hands and talking while walking on the red carpet as they make their way to their vehicles. I have also seen the same at the Arab League where Arab dignitaries are seen holding hands with fellow Arabs.
Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope no one is referring to me as a bigot or that I'm trying to stigmatize anything, or that I said it was wrong.
[Razz]

Although I'm not used to men holding hands, I don't remember saying it was wrong.
Only that I'm used to seeing it a certain way.

[Smile]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
newcomer
quote:
As a teenager, I remember vividly that our religion teacher consistently mentioned that too much 'physical contact' was not a 'healthy' attitude between friends of the same gender and that all this demonstration of affection he was noticing, should be 'reserved' for the future spouse [Wink] . He was always asking the students that were sitting too close to each other to 'sit properly'.
The teacher was not westernized, but rather a conservative Egyptian Muslim.

Care, friendliness, warmth, demonstration of affection, are extremely important between humans, but seems appreciated when demonstrated reasonably, in consideration of physical space, or personal privacy for more conservative people!

Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sei-i taishogun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even the warmonger (Bush) is tolerant and knowledgeable of the fact that Arab hand holding is cultural:

Bush Holding Hands with King Abdullah

This article epitomizes the mentality of some members here whether they are bigots or tolerant of other cultures.

Posts: 2079 | From: 'by any means necessary' - Malcom X | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ironborn
Member # 12020

quote:
An Arab looking at the western world would see it as a very cold place, where people aren't affectionate and demonstrative with their friends and relatives. They sit far away from each other, kiss only when arriving or leaving apart from that there is no touching, often live alone and if not they have their own bedrooms in the family home, and they wouldn't have to guess whether most couples who are holding hands have a sexual relationship, as that question is often answered very clearly when couples do more than just holding hands in public.

Well, if thats how they view the "Western World," then they must be looking at it through a microscope.

The Western World is far more diverse than the "Arab World," and you see a much greater range of behaviour in people.

Italians, and many of the Southern Europeans for instance, are very touchy feely.

When I was in Spain, it was seen as normal to kiss a woman on both cheeks as a greeting, even if I did not know her personally.

Latinos are also very personal in that manner, that they like to touch, hug, kiss..

The stand offish mien that you attribute to the West, is mostly seen in the Anglo-Saxon, Germanic, Nordic cultures..

quote:
Yes, I'm sure that some of the men holding hands in the Arab world could be homosexual, as I'm sure that some of the people who show affection to children could be paedophiles, but does that mean that I should look at everyone who cuddles a child with suspicious eyes?
The holding hands issue was shocking to me at first I admit, but after I understood that it was mostly cultural, I ignored it.

What I don't understand however, is that it's MORE ACCEPTABLE for men to hold hands, rather than a man to hold hands with a woman.

Thats just plain weird to me, and it goes back to the discussion we were having before.

That Arab culture punishes heterosexual behaviour..

~Alistair

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
Originally posted by Sobriquet:
Even the warmonger (Bush) is tolerant and knowledgeable of the fact that Arab hand holding is cultural:

This article epitomizes the mentality of some members here whether they are bigots or tolerant of other cultures.

Watch the video to the right too in this article.
newcomer
Member # 1056

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newcomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well, if thats how they view the "Western World," then they must be looking at it through a microscope.

The Western World is far more diverse than the "Arab World," and you see a much greater range of behaviour in people.

And if you substituted "Western" for "Arab", that's how they would describe your perspective.

You look at the western world as an insider with a broad perspective and see all its different shades, yet when you look at the Arab world you "look at it through a microscope" as an outsider and generalize what you see.

Posts: 4576 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ironborn
Member # 12020

quote:
And if you substituted "Western" for "Arab", that's how they would describe your perspective.

You look at the western world as an insider with a broad perspective and see all its different shades, yet when you look at the Arab world you "look at it through a microscope" as an outsider and generalize what you see.

But there is a difference dear newcomer.

The Western World is undoubtedly broader in scope than the Arab World, and far more diverse.

The Arab World by contrast, is far more monolithic with many commonalities that exist between the various nations, hence why it's called the Arab World [Big Grin]

~Alistair

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
quote:

The Western World is undoubtedly broader in scope than the Arab World, and far more diverse.

The Arab World by contrast, is far more monolithic with many commonalities that exist between the various nations, hence why it's called the Arab World [Big Grin]

~Alistair

There is a world of a difference between Somalia and Lebanon as there is a world of a difference between Comoros and Tunisia.

Ignorance is the main reason behind bigotry and generalizations whether a westerner is generalizing the Arab world or an Arab is generalizing the West.

Ironborn
Member # 12020

quote:
There is a world of a difference between Somalia and Lebanon as there is a world of a difference between Comoros and Tunisia.

Ignorance is the main reason behind bigotry and generalizations whether a westerner is generalizing the Arab world or an Arab is generalizing the West.

I'm not saying there aren't any differences Dunes.

The nations that make up the Arab World aren't cookie cutter duplicates of each other.

But, they have far more similarities between them, when compared to the similarities in the collective West.

This isn't something to debate as far as I'm concerned.

The West is an entire hemisphere afterall, while the Arab World constitutes a small portion of the Earth.

~Alistair

sei-i taishogun
Member # 13217

quote:
quote:

I'm not saying there aren't any differences Dunes.

The nations that make up the Arab World aren't cookie cutter duplicates of each other.

But, they have far more similarities between them, when compared to the similarities in the collective West.

This isn't something to debate as far as I'm concerned.

The West is an entire hemisphere afterall, while the Arab World constitutes a small portion of the Earth.

~Alistair

I also believe that the west is an entire hemisphere a simple point could be Japan and Germany. Despite this fact dismissing major differences between Arabs is wrong. There are greater similarities between many western countries than there are of the Arab countries i named above.
newcomer
Member # 1056

quote:
quote:

~Alistair

I wasn't commenting on the diversity of the West v. the Arab world, but on your personal perspective of the two as compared to an Arab. I was just commenting that you see the Arab world as an outsider through a microscope as compared to the way you see the West as an insider. Its a classical demonstration of the "Us and them" concept in social psychology.

Almaz, it was interesting that although you initially said it was the educated people who weren't so demonstrative/touchy, the example you subsequently gave was of a conservative religious teacher who was discouraging physical closeness. You would have thought that if that was the typical source of discouragement, that the behaviour would be less amongst the less well educated, as they tend to be more conservative and religious in many ways than the educated.

Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Almaz, it was interesting that although you initially said it was the educated people who weren't so demonstrative/touchy, the example you subsequently gave was of a conservative religious teacher who was discouraging physical closeness. You would have thought that if that was the typical source of discouragement, that the behaviour would be less amongst the less well educated, as they tend to be more conservative and religious in many ways than the educated.
In fact that teacher was among the educated. Regardless of his roots and background, he was one of the privileged villagers (in his own words) that was able to have a good education with a University degree from Cairo University, like thousands of other more conservative and religious educated - 'privileged' or more oriented towards academia then others - villagers.

But it does also depend so much on the direct family's behavior. So, when they are out of the village and the family environment and pursue their education in the city, some 'acquire' the awareness of what is 'proper' or not, at least among others that behave in a more 'RESERVED' way towards physical demonstration.

Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

quote:

Don't give W too much credit here. I doubt there is anything that he wouldn't do for the King.

LovedOne
I don't really see people being biggots or saying that the hand holding is right or wrong on this thread. What I do see is a healthy descussion. I hope that we can put away the idea that we here on this thread are attacking each other. I don't see anyone saying that my way is right and your way is wrong, I certainly am not. I would assume that any westerner posting on this thread has a respect and curosity for other cultures.

I see, GlobalOne. I didn't mean to imply that you were saying that it is was right or wrong. What I am trying to ask, "is public hand holding between the same sex a biproduct of suppression of affection between the oppisite sex"? I can't get out of my mind the man saying that it is a SHAME to be holding a womans hand.

Not all American men are macho but it is a commen attitude here. If you notice in that video of W and King, the man from NY was saying "we don't do that here in NY". And that was ON camera.

GlobalOne
Member # 13363

Rate Member
Thank you newcomer for being a well balanced human being. It is always a pleasure reading your posts.

Gold!

Regarding your question about if men holding hands in any part of the world (assuming you agree with me that it is not inclusive to the Arab world ) is a bi-product of suppression or not, I think even that has nothing to do with Arab or not. The hasidic Jews do not even hold hands in private, the very religious sector in Christianity may do the same. It is a matter of rigidity that is connected to religious beliefs, however if you want to single the Arab world for that question, I would say there are lots of areas in the Arab world (which might not be much) that would tolerate this kind of behaviour; and there are degrees of tolerance.

I have seen lots of couples holding hands in the streets in Egypt and I think most people have no problem with that as long as there is no fondling [Wink] going on.

You are going to see what you set your mind to see ( glass half full/ half empty ) so the notion in your mind would make you see if there is tolerance for that or not.

so what is your tolerance level?

of_gold
Member # 13418

quote:
Originally posted by GlobalOne:
Thank you newcomer for being a well balanced human being. It is always a pleasure reading your posts.

Gold!

Regarding your question about if men holding hands in any part of the world (assuming you agree with me that it is not inclusive to the Arab world ) is a bi-product of suppression or not, I think even that has nothing to do with Arab or not. The hasidic Jews do not even hold hands in private, the very religious sector in Christianity may do the same. It is a matter of rigidity that is connected to religious beliefs, however if you want to single the Arab world for that question, I would say there are lots of areas in the Arab world (which might not be much) that would tolerate this kind of behaviour; and there are degrees of tolerance.

I have seen lots of couples holding hands in the streets in Egypt and I think most people have no problem with that as long as there is no fondling [Wink] going on.

You are going to see what you set your mind to see ( glass half full/ half empty ) so the notion in your mind would make you see if there is tolerance for that or not.

Apparently I have offended you. How?
Apparently you view me as intolerant. Why? [Confused]

GlobalOne
Member # 13363

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

Gold!

Apparently I have offended you. How?
Apparently you view me as intolerant. Why? [Confused]

[Smile] Not at all. you did not offend me at all. Sorry if I'm coming through that way.You seem to be very sensitive.

My question to you about how tolerant are you is for you to reflect not for you to give me an answer. You do not owe me or owe anyone here anything.
Back to (glass half full/half empty) metaphor, just wanted you to answer your own question by seeing what your mind set you to see.

So do not over analyse things. BE YOURSELF. It does not matter if I view you to be intolerant which I do not. I was trying to answer your question since you directed the question at me twice. And the word " YOU " is a plural one which you, individually, is not the subject. Like " you yo Peace out!" [Big Grin]

of_gold
Member # 13418

I admittledy am sensitive but it is funny you should say that because I was seeing you as being sensitive.

From my perspective, the girl in the video was not condemning anyone. Only pointing out how men holding hands is viewed differently there than it is here. Yet you saw her as "biased with a certain agenda".

What do you think her agenda was?

With all honesty this is the first time I have seen this cultural behavior. Of course my understanding of it would not be the same as someone who grew up with it. Understanding, tolerance, and acceptance is a two way street. I personally find it more upsetting that it is thought a shame to hold a womans hand. To me that implies that the woman is dirty or something.

So let me say to you: You are going to see what you set your mind to see (glass half full/ half empty) so the notion in your mind would make you see if there is tolerance for that or not.

so what is your tolerance level? [Smile]

GlobalOne
Member # 13363

Rate Member
You are very inquisitive which I do admire but can you let me ask you a question ( Are you a USA born? )

About the woman in that clip I went back and watched the clip again and I advise you to do the same and you may understand why I think she has an agenda.

you can ask questions to understand or you can ask questions to mock others which I think it is very apparent and implied in that clip.

FYI: I hold women's hands and I kiss them on the check too in public. I do not hold men's hand even the very close ones to me in the USA however when I'm In Egypt and my BIL wants to hold my hand or a dear friend of mine want to hold my hand I let them as I understand it is a sign of endearment. I also have no problem when I see my sister holding hands with her husband or my other sister holding hands with her fiance in public.

of_gold
Member # 13418

Yes, I was born in the USA.

I did go back and watch it again. I can understand how you might view her as mocking because of her smiling and laughing. But I don't think Egyptians were her intended audiance. She was presenting it to Americans. It had to be light hearted in my view. She even said "see he has 3 wives and 12 children, he is definitely not gay" Then the captions also explained the custom.

Let me ask you a question. Why don't you hold mens hands while you are in the USA?

--------------------

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
woooooooooooooooooow thats cool i have seen them kiss but not hold hands lol

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GlobalOne
Member # 13363

Rate Member
quote:

I did go back and watch it again. I can understand how you might view her as mocking because of her smiling and laughing. But I don't think Egyptians were her intended audiance. She was presenting it to Americans. It had to be light hearted in my view. She even said "see he has 3 wives and 12 children, he is definitely not gay" Then the captions also explained the custom.

Let me ask you a question. Why don't you hold mens hands while you are in the USA?

I do not believe that you were born in the USA if you need reasons please review your posts and use of words and misspellings and grammar. however it is not of my business either. you are who you are. [Cool]

as why I do not hold men hands in the USA because it is only socially acceptable from certain [Wink] people who has a different sexual orientation that mine, plus I drive every where with my lady which I'd rather hold her hand since it brings so much enjoyment [Wink] to me.

out and over

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i first seen walid in webcam kiss a man i was shocked i did not know what to think and this guy he kissed was a young boy i yes i thought bad
i asked him y he kiised that boy he said we do that here its still gonna take along time for me to get use to seein that as for the holding hands i would die laughing when i first see it cas no they dont do that here in usa the women do i have never seen men do it cas they are too macho here they shake hands some cultures they kiss hands mmmm every where greetings and friendships are different

now ccan someone explaine to me the purpose of men kissing men my brain still cant compute a normal man kissin a normal man men that are not gay !!!

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Tina, same as when a woman greets another woman and kisses her on the cheeks. Exactly the same. An affectionate greeting.
of_gold
Member # 13418

quote:
quote:

I do not believe that you were born in the USA if you need reasons please review your posts and use of words and misspellings and grammar. however it is not of my business either. you are who you are. [Cool]

as why I do not hold men hands in the USA because it is only socially acceptable from certain [Wink] people who has a different sexual orientation that mine, plus I drive every where with my lady which I'd rather hold her hand since it brings so much enjoyment [Wink] to me.

out and over

[Roll Eyes]
I have an inherited spelling disorder. [Razz] I don't need to review my post to know where I was born.

It is interesting that you will not hold hands with a man in the USA because it is only acceptable by the gay community. Yet you expect everyone raised in a culture where this is viewed as unacceptable behavior to embrace it whole heartily, and without question. You are free here in America to express youself. Why not just be yourself and tell everyone how intolerant they are? [Cool]

I am delighted to hear that you find so much enjoyment holding a woman's hand. Is there absolutely no enjoyment while holding the mans hand?

By the way, my reason for asking why not in the US, was not for my benefit, it is for yours. [Big Grin] You have made my point. Thanks.

seabreeze
Member # 10289

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
GlobalOne
Member # 13363

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

I do not believe that you were born in the USA if you need reasons please review your posts and use of words and misspellings and grammar. however it is not of my business either. you are who you are.

as why I do not hold men hands in the USA because it is only socially acceptable from certain people who has a different sexual orientation that mine, plus I drive every where with my lady which I'd rather hold her hand since it brings so much enjoyment to me.

out and over

[Roll Eyes]
I have an inherited spelling disorder. [Razz] I don't need to review my post to know where I was born.

It is interesting that you will not hold hands with a man in the USA because it is only acceptable by the gay community. Yet you expect everyone raised in a culture where this is viewed as unacceptable behavior to embrace it whole heartily, and without question. You are free here in America to express youself. Why not just be yourself and tell everyone how intolerant they are? [Cool]

I am delighted to hear that you find so much enjoyment holding a woman's hand. Is there absolutely no enjoyment while holding the mans hand?

By the way, my reason for asking why not in the US, was not for my benefit, it is for yours. [Big Grin] You have made my point. Thanks.

It seems like you inherited more than just a spelling disorder!
Three words for you
" go fcuk yourself!" How is that for a tolerance level? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Since you can not find someone stupid enough to provide that service . Battery operated might just be your answer. Unfortunately there will be no hand to hold.

by the way
yes! there is a topless beaches in Egypt? [Wink]

VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was totally uncalled for.

--------------------

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GlobalOne
Member # 13363

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by VanillaBullshit:
That was totally uncalled for.

Well! the implication is clear to me. Sorry if you are offended but there is only one way to deal with cockroaches.
MK the Most Interlectual
Member # 8356

Rate Member
^^ Why why? [Frown]
GlobalOne
Member # 13363

Rate Member
quote:
^^ Why why? [Frown]

What is the point in asking a male that if they do not find any enjoyment (an American born would say JOY) in holding men's hands. I did not ask anyone who is raised in a culture where this is viewed as unacceptable behavior to embrace it whole heartily, and without question but as I said someone can ask questions to learn about something or they can ask questions to mock others which I will not stand for. There is a difference between being tolerant and being a door mate. Do not you think?
daria1975
Member # 6244

quote:
quote:
^^ Why why? [Frown]

What is the point in asking a male that if they do not find any enjoyment (an American born would say JOY) in holding men's hands. I did not ask anyone who is raised in a culture where this is viewed as unacceptable behavior to embrace it whole heartily, and without question but as I said someone can ask questions to learn about something or they can ask questions to mock others which I will not stand for. There is a difference between being tolerant and being a door mate. Do not you think?
For what it's worth, I didn't think of-gold meant anything bad by that question? It's a different type of enjoyment, I would think. I like to hold both my husband's hand and my son's, but for different reasons.

Just a thought.

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
ya i know some women kiss on the cheeks but i never seen men holding hands girls yes men no its just it will be strange to see somethin like that and not think they was gay lol cas they dont do that here u know they are too macho for that here in usa

--------------------

Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Tina, intchy lessa 3aishaah? meaning long time no see.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com