EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Did you ever have the feeling that... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Did you ever have the feeling that...
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...your marriage was destined for failure?

Logically I feel that we will divorce for sure.

What shall I do? I love him, and no one makes me as happy, but I feel that there is too much difference. And I feel that I know in my heart that it will not work out...what kind of situation is that?

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG Don't think this way! Otherwise it's a self-fulfilling prophecy!
Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But it keeps crawling up on me!

Everytime we disagree or there is frustration I feel that I jump to this immediately.

maybe I don't really want it to work or what?

or am I putting my head in the sand and ignoring the signs of a bad relationship?

Is divorce ever worth it? i know it is easier to run away from the problems, but I feel that our vision of life, our principles are so at odds.

I thought he was more liberal, I thought he could have respect for different ways of life. And I think he doesn't have it at all. He was just bluffing me or I just saw what I wanted.

I love and embrace that he is different from me. He just wants to turn me into his mother.

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superwoman
Member # 14656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to feel like that at times Anthropos, until we nearly reached breaking point and then turned things around. It is possible, if you both want to, if you can find answers to your differences and then solutions.

The fact that you really love him gives you a good chance of sorting things out, IMO

Posts: 918 | From: Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthropos:

What shall I do? I love him, and no one makes me as happy, but I feel that there is too much difference. And I feel that I know in my heart that it will not work out...what kind of situation is that?

Girl....did'nt you just had a beautiful baby? [Eek!] What is this all negative thoughts in you lately?Focus on your newborn and be thankful to God for your healthy child.
You are obviously going thru post-partum depression,so professional help would be a good idea for you.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superwoman
Member # 14656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is hard to focus on your children when you are having other problems, even though you want to. sometimes things just take over your thinking and you can seem to find solutions.

She may have post partum depression, but she may also have issues that need resolving in order for her to be able to enjoy being a mother and relax and be happy.

Posts: 918 | From: Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

I know Sashyra, and I feel guilty for having those thoughts. I am getting some help now, but it is a process. I am getting better at taking care of the baby, and I feel happier as a mother. But now the relationship is hard.

What I feel is that i cannot handle any kind of stress, I suppose that is the depression working, and if my husband does something wrong in my opinion, I fly of the handle. I don't want to but it just leaps out of my mouth.

He is going through some hardships as well and that doesn't help.

To be honest I am happier being home alone with the baby than when he is here even though I was dying when he was in Egypt.

I feel that he just adds to the pressure of life.

Tell me ES mothers please, life does get easier once the babies get older right?????????

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anthropos, marriage in the beginning is never easy - especially since you also became very recently a mom. I've been there myself but we worked all out thankfully. Don't throw everything so quickly away, don't let it go. You need to work on your relationship, it's a tough challenge but so rewarding. All the best for your little family.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Almaz.
Member # 14025

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Almaz.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my little contribution:

Use positive sentences even in your thoughts.

Example: 'I will make it work vs it's not going to work'

To trick the brain into helping you achieve what you wish, use a positive phrase, such as 'My marriage is getting stronger every day, even if we have differences, because I want it to work.'

Unless your husband is telling you he wants out, or you want out, then analyze why you want out
and take a decision.

People that divorced that I know, are happier because there was irreconcilable differences while married.

But think of your daughter in the equation. If you guys are fighting all the time, and you are both miserable, you might be better off with a separation, for the sake of your mental health including your baby's mental health.

Posts: 919 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superwoman
Member # 14656

Rate Member
It really does get easier IMO, and it sounds as though you have some cultural issues on top of being a new mother. When you are already trying to keep on top of things it is natural for even the slightest thing to tip you over the edge, do you get much time to relax?

When babies are young I think there are a lot of ups and downs, you just get to grips with one thing and then something else is sprung on you, also you have all your ideals of the kind of mother that you thought you would be, the kind of family etc. to deal with when things dont usually turn out how we thought they would.

by the time they get to about 2, which might seem a long way off but will fly by, things will settle down more, you will be more used to being a mother and they get more independant gradually so you start to get more time to yourself and less demands to be made of you.

anthropos
Member # 9410

2 years? WoW

i was thinking it got better when they are around 6 monyhs......

and she is just 2 months now....

Superwoman
Member # 14656

Rate Member
Well I found it got easier/harder/easier/harder like that until 2, then it levelled out more for me.

2 months is very demanding, they need you for everything and its not long enough to have adjusted to motherhood. if you think about it 2 people are now draining your resources (you and the baby) and depending on how much support you have (family/friends/husband) that can be very hard to do on your own.

you need to be able to switch off sometimes, does your husband help with the baby or does he leave it to you mostly?

tootsie
Member # 13946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tootsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand what you are going through- have faith in yourself and your mate. Marriage is something that both people have to work at all t he time. Its not like it is in the movies. You are trying to push him away, so if it fails you can prepare yourself and your heart. but with out great risk there is not great reward. Open yourself up - and give into love completely. If it does fail- you know you gave it your all, with no regrets.
Posts: 365 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
Anthropos, marriage in the beginning is never easy - especially since you also became very recently a mom. I've been there myself but we worked all out thankfully. Don't throw everything so quickly away, don't let it go. You need to work on your relationship, it's a tough challenge but so rewarding. All the best for your little family.

Right! I have been there too in the rocky boat [Wink] but once you reach calmer waters again, you are proud you made it through the rough oceans!!

About the baby... it gets better!! really... The beginning is hard, certainly if you have to go working too. Stay positive!!

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

if it dont feel right, then it isnt.
and if u are not happy, then what is the sense of staying? at one point or anyother you will only begin to resent him for it. i was in 'love' with a man who was perfect fine, and he made me happy but he just wasnt my type and we were totally different and it got to a point where if there was no sex, we really wouldnt know what to do with each other. you can divorce nicely...doesnt always have to be a bad reason.

Posts: 2757 | From: YOU CAN ONLY SEE WHAT I CHOOSE TO SHOW, THERE IS SO MUCH MORE YOU JUST DONT KNOW | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habeeby
Member # 14429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habeeby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having a baby puts a strain on any marriage, unfortunatelly you are suffering from depression at the moment which is adding extra stress and then on top of all that there are the cultural differences in your relationship... Who ever told you marriage was easy? it is not, it is hard work as are children... Things will get better you just have to ride the storm and try to remember why you married this man. Surely these re the same reasons that you will find to keep going in this relationship? You need to get yourself in a routine... Allocate some time as a family, some time for yourself and some time for your man and try and stick to this timetable, i know this is not easy as babies cannot read timetables but beleive me if you can do this you will feel the benefits. Good luck Anthropos [Smile]
Posts: 1797 | From: By my husband's side | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well no matter what u decide, if you really feel its going to get bad in the future, end it b4 the kid gets old enough to realize it.
having a kid doesnt mean you need to suffer with someone u dont want for the rest of your life.
kids are resilient.
ok so maybe u are depressed....did u reach out to ur man? is he trying to sooth u? if not, well do what u gotta do.
if its this early on and u feel doubtful, and know its not some kind of postpartum sh*t, it aint gonna get better.

Posts: 2757 | From: YOU CAN ONLY SEE WHAT I CHOOSE TO SHOW, THERE IS SO MUCH MORE YOU JUST DONT KNOW | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

if I express how i have been feeling after the birth he says that I create problems. That I want to create problems.

he doesn't have clue that women can feel like this after giving birth.

he just says that I should thank God for this beautiful baby.

He is right of course about that.

But this attitude doesn't really help me a lot.

I have started bottling everything inside because I know that according to him my feelings are not to be expressed in this home.

because that will give him stress. and we can't have that...

Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it is good you can write it off on ES then [Wink] .

So... what is bothering you the most about your husby? Can you give a few examples?
Does he help with nappy changing? (good point for him)
Does he prepare your meals?
Does he say; Go to sleep now, I will watch the baby.

Do you feel tired because of lack of sleep (I know all about it [Embarrassed] ) and therefor you cannot enjoy things??

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *****     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trying to cope with a new baby is never easy, especially for a first time mom, your baby is only two months old, your hormones are trying to get back to normal, so it is par for the course the way you are feeling, just give it a bit of time, rushing to get a divorce is not the way out.
It is not easy being a single mom, that on it's own has many more pressures than what you think you are having now being married. Please do not rush into anything to quickly
Maybe your husband is feeling the pressure of being a new dad, thinking how he now has responsiblities with caring for his new family.
Men also feel a lot of pressure today with having to provide for the family.

Posts: 564 | From: planet earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Habeeby:
unfortunatelly you are suffering from depression at the moment

Please, guys, don't talk her into depression and all this stuff. ONLY a medical professional can come to this conclusion. She needs to adjust to her new life

- married
- with baby
- husband goes through culture shock.

It takes time for both of them to adjust. Some people adapt easier some have more difficulties. It will come, Anthropos, but you need to work for it. As it was mentioned before you need to get into a routine and put also some time away for yourself.

Another month or so your baby should pretty much sleep through the night for at least 6 to 8 hours. Are you breastfeeding or giving baby formula to your daughter?

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anthropos I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo feeling you right this minute!!

We had a spat today, small one but we dont have them so probably thats why im feeling it, also the 'i dont think I can live in this mentality anymore' feelings, the 'I wanna go home waa waa waa' is on a high today [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
quote:
if I express how i have been feeling after the birth he says that I create problems. That I want to create problems.

he just says that I should thank God for this beautiful baby.

He is right of course about that.

But this attitude doesn't really help me a lot.

I have started bottling everything inside because I know that according to him my feelings are not to be expressed in this home.

because that will give him stress. and we can't have that...

that is total BS man! how is communicating to him giving him stress? so whats he wants? you to just never talk to him at all? wtf is the sense of being married then if the mofo wont even allow you to talk to him...IN YOUR OWN HOME!
girl, you know what u need to do. always listen to ur instincts cuz ima tell ya, it aint gonna get no better. communication is like, #1 in a relationship and if you cant talk to him about something as easy as how u feel after birth, then how can u come with anything else? i doubt he will want to hear you out if u try to talk to him about saving this relationship also.
he needs to learn that issues dont go away by themselves and you have to be pretty big of a sissy to avoid everything like that.

miffmiss
Member # 14978

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for miffmiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree with peaceatlast
Posts: 1710 | From: we come in peace | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could you nudge him towards other new dads so that maybe he could learn from them?
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advocate
Member # 13367

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for advocate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Personally I feel that marriage liciences should be renewable after a certain amount of years, if you don't want to renew it's over...simple as!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1917 | From: WALES | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^^^^^^

[Big Grin]

I too think you should talk to him. Pick the right moment though [Wink] not just when he walks through the door!

Men(some) find it hard to understand what it really 'feels' like after you have a baby. I have heard through my friend that her husband says "my mum had 6 why are you moaning?" etc but in reality for each mum it is different, with each child it is different and that is something that he needs to realise [Wink]

Some women fly through pregnancy feeling brilliant others don't, some women find being a mum very easy when others don't. Them first few months are really truly the hardest, it does get easier. Take each day at a time, stay positive and tell yourself "you will get through this" over and over.

Talking with hubby is a must though Anthropes, as is giving you a little space when you feel down. Enjoy a hot bath, take a nice walk do something for YOU even if it is 1/2 an hour.

Take care

Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

In Egypt, men don't have a lot of involvement with new babies. It's very much women's domain. Mother, sister, mother-in-law all come round to help out and the men usually feel out of place, so disappear and leave them to it. In the West it's common now for men to be 'hands on' with the baby, but not here.

A colleague of mine had a baby last week, and took just one day off work. I told him he could have a few days paternity leave (doesn't exist in Egypt) but he said the house was really crowded, all the female relatives were around and there was no space to move!

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
elizabethN
Member # 14096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elizabethN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a middle eastern man told me something that has stuck in my mind recently. Unless you are egyptian, you will never be a "good wife" in their eyes. You can never do enough for these guys and on top of that, they have been catered to and babied all their life. A wife is just that - a wife and nothing else. I am about to throw in the towel also. Screw this crap and have a nice peaceful life. They are all about themselves and nobody else when it comes down to it and unless you live together you will have no idea what it is like. It's real life, not a vacation anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 1369 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by elizabethN:
a middle eastern man told me something that has stuck in my mind recently. Unless you are egyptian, you will never be a "good wife" in their eyes. You can never do enough for these guys and on top of that, they have been catered to and babied all their life. A wife is just that - a wife and nothing else. I am about to throw in the towel also. Screw this crap and have a nice peaceful life. They are all about themselves and nobody else when it comes down to it and unless you live together you will have no idea what it is like. It's real life, not a vacation anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geez that was quick!
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habeeby
Member # 14429

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Habeeby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Betty i have Pm'd you... you need to let me know that you are okay girl. i know it is difficult for you to be online but hey he is always pissed about something anyway so log on and say hi...

Take care x

Posts: 1797 | From: By my husband's side | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Habeeby
Member # 14429

A man walks into a bar with a paper bag. He sits down and places the bag on the counter. The bartender walks up and asks what's in the bag.

The man reaches into the bag and pulls out a little man, about one foot high and sets him on the counter. He reaches back into the bag and pulls out a small piano, setting it on the counter as well. He reaches into the bag once again and pulls out a tiny piano bench, which he places in front of the piano.

The little man sits down at the piano and starts playing a beautiful piece by Mozart! 'Where on earth did you get that?' says the bartender.

The man responds by reaching into the paper bag. This time he pulls out a magic lamp. He hands it to the bartender and says: 'Here. Rub it.'

So the bartender rubs the lamp, and suddenly there's a gust of smoke and a beautiful genie is standing before him. 'I will grant you one wish. Just ! one wish~~ each person is only allowed one!'

The bartender gets real excited. Without hesitating he says, 'I want a million bucks!' A few moments later, a duck walks into the bar. It is soon followed by another duck, then another, pretty soon, the entire bar is filled with ducks and they keep coming!

The bartender turns to the man and says, 'Y'know, I think your genie's a little deaf. I asked for a million bucks, not a million ducks.'

'Tell me about it!!' says the man, 'do you really think I asked for a 12 inch pianist?
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Anthropos, I am guessing you have probably been married less than 5 years or so. I think in the initial years of marriage, especially intercultural it is natural to wonder. There are many factors working against you both and it often seems frustrating and feels like it may be easier to just throw your hands in the air and be done with it all. It seems that way but if you have children (or any on the way) I highly encourage you to push through it.

Marriage is different things to different people. To you it might be romance and compassion and sweet words, but to your husband it might be more about companionship and loyalty...it isn't better or worse, just differnet. Remember, just because someone isn't loving you the way you want exactly- it doesn't mean they aren't loving you the best way they know how. If you have a child together now you owe it to each other to TRY TRY TRY each time and when you are tired of trying, you TRY AGAIN. Marriage is worth that, children are worth that.
There was a saying ( I can't remember exactly ) that the sweetest berries are the ones furthest up the tree....I think this means the sweetness from things, in this case marriage, comes from pushing through the difficult times. Things don't always come easily, they're not supposed to, but years later when you look back, you might see how you were both strong and put your children first, by staying together.
Don't focus so much on what will be, focus on what you want it to be. Success is 3/4 attitude, if you believe it and know it, most likely it will BE. If you keep thinking it won't last, it won't. If you keep positive and keep saying, 'we will be successful in this marriage' then you have a better shot.
The best thing you can do in your marriage is to wake up each morning and think to yourself, 'how can I make my husband/wife happier today than he/she was yesterday'. It doesn't take BOTH people working on the marriage to change it, it just takes one to be the catalyst and be the example to the other. Best of luck. [Smile]

Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yorkshire rose
Member # 12072

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yorkshire rose   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with some things betty has said.
R u ok betty?

--------------------
Alison Faragalla

Posts: 4149 | From: Egypt | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
smuckers quoted:- I am guessing you have probably been married less than 5 years or so. I think in the initial years of marriage, especially intercultural it is natural to wonder. There are many factors working against you both and it often seems frustrating and feels like it may be easier to just throw your hands in the air and be done with it all

---------------------------------------------

So true smuckers, Those first few years are hard because you are still learning about
eachother [Wink] Positive thinking is the way to go [Wink]
wish you well Anthropes [Wink]

Betty - sorry that things are not going well, these things do take time he has not been there very long. Wish you well [Wink]

Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

i know i should try for the baby and it is not the right time for big decision but i feel more convinced day by day. i start even thinking of ways to manage as a single mom.

yesterday we fought again.

he keeps telling me to be different. always!
be different be different

why is he married to me if he doesn't like me?

seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may not be that he doesn't like you, obviously he LIKES YOU but what he means (without communicating it correctly) is that he needs you to be more flexible with (whatever) so you can both live together easier. Of course, it takes two...but this thing is obviously important to him. [Wink]
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonzo
Member # 12594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by advocate:

Personally I feel that marriage liciences should be renewable after a certain amount of years, if you don't want to renew it's over...simple as!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

hahahaha That would be TOO easy! [Big Grin] [Wink]
Posts: 370 | From: Other side of reality | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonzo
Member # 12594

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't agree that it's just the way of Middle Eastern men to leave raising the baby to the women.

A very good Egyptian (male) friend of mine was totally enamoured of his new son and then with his next. He was a very "hands on" Dad and spent every waking moment with them (except, of course, when he had to go to work). It was one of the best times of his life and to this day he still is very active with raising his sons.

Saying that it's their culture to leave it up to the "women folk" is stereotyping and not really fair. Of course, maybe he is/was the exception to this "rule".

I know plenty of American men who do the same so I really don't think it's a cultural thing at all. The men are too busy working to be at home much and then the wives get so absorbed into the raising of the baby they forget they have a husband who needs attention, too. Let's not forget that men can be the biggest babies of all and even though they are grown & adult, they still need to feel they aren't taking 2nd place to the baby. Many marriages fall apart because the relationship ends up suffering because all of the attention goes to the new addition to the family.

And before we start bashing the men for being like this, just think how women feel when the man puts his job first and she isn't getting as much attention anymore. Not a good feeling, is it?

Just food for thought.

Posts: 370 | From: Other side of reality | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
i know i should try for the baby and it is not the right time for big decision but i feel more convinced day by day. i start even thinking of ways to manage as a single mom.

Any relationship between two people is in some way a sum of accepting our vices and virtues. No two people on this planet are identical. Besides, the only people we 100% 'like' are those who we don't know very well (read: we haven't discovered their bad points yet).

When you meet a person and get to know him/her you slowly notice that he/she is not what you initially thought. Sometimes first impressions are right on spot, but on the whole you have to 'redefine' your image of the other person.

And when you start living 24/7, it is often the time when your rose-tinted glasses drop.

Another very important thing IMO, is being able/willing to forgive. This is the key, I think. It doesn't mean that you regard a wrong action as harmless or acceptable in your eyes. It means letting go of the uncomfortable feelings as well as the constant wish to retaliate.
You get on with your life without resentment which might sour your inner self (and give rise to high blood pressure [Big Grin] ). For me lack of forgiveness is like some kind of hurdle, barrier.

And above all, both of you should learn, learn, learn to be positive. As Smuckers said, it's important for at least one person to be the catalyst. Men don't like to talk about emotions, it's a well-known fact, but if you don't nag till dawn, you might succeed.

There are people who are 'unreformable' (yeah, and how on earth can I keep smiling when somebody is scowling at me all day long?). But it's a small percentage, I believe. Sometimes it's also plain immaturity, which I attribute to young age (I was like that when I was very young, I admit).

I know - easier said than done. Tough job. But you must TRY. Don't give up unless your suffering is unbearable.

Good luck. [Smile]

Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo:
I don't agree that it's just the way of Middle Eastern men to leave raising the baby to the women.

A very good Egyptian (male) friend of mine was totally enamoured of his new son and then with his next. He was a very "hands on" Dad and spent every waking moment with them (except, of course, when he had to go to work). It was one of the best times of his life and to this day he still is very active with raising his sons.

Saying that it's their culture to leave it up to the "women folk" is stereotyping and not really fair. Of course, maybe he is/was the exception to this "rule".

I know plenty of American men who do the same so I really don't think it's a cultural thing at all. The men are too busy working to be at home much and then the wives get so absorbed into the raising of the baby they forget they have a husband who needs attention, too. Let's not forget that men can be the biggest babies of all and even though they are grown & adult, they still need to feel they aren't taking 2nd place to the baby. Many marriages fall apart because the relationship ends up suffering because all of the attention goes to the new addition to the family.

And before we start bashing the men for being like this, just think how women feel when the man puts his job first and she isn't getting as much attention anymore. Not a good feeling, is it?

Just food for thought.

Bonzo is right, IMO, men (no matter what the nationality) should be hands on and while they don't all come out of a box involved in helping to raise the children, you can help them.
Really get them involved...make a plan, have a routine to the days, you both have your jobs with the baby or you trade off every other day or so. My husband and I trade off on the diapers now (before he would hardly change one a week!), we alternate it every other day... of course I change more while he is at work...but in the evenings he can take over and always on his day off. He helps with feeding her, he brings her home snacks and sits her down and feeds her and talks to her, takes her with him to the store or around the corner to meet his brother, etc. He was not like that in the beginning, in fact his MIL and SIL would always try to do it FOR HIM when they were around. I had to clearly say that NO this is his daughter and he will remember the days of taking care of her when she was young much more fondly rather than sitting and having someone else do it.

As my mother used say, 'when a man says something is a woman's job, what he really means is that IT'S HARD WORK'. [Big Grin]

Bonzo
Member # 12594

Rate Member
You really handled your situation perfectly, Smuckers. I don't think mind at all being a part of raising the children and all they need is given the chance to help.

I see a lot of women who totally consume themselves with the babies and forget there's another parent involved who helped create the little blessing. [Smile]

Often when one feels neglected no matter what the situation, they start to alienate themselves from the situation or even fight because negative attention is better than none.

Sparkle16
Member # 13047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sparkle16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't been married that long but I want to tell you a story of something that really touched me. My parents were celebrating a 50th wedding anniversary and alot of their friends came to celebrate and in particular there was one couple who had been married for 60 years. Wow, you gotta respect that. I was sitting talking with them and you could see the happiness/contentedness in their faces. You know you can tell when people are happy together. I asked the old guy, "What is your secret to success". He told me that they loved each other. I thought, well Duh, that is obvious but what he meant was that they actively loved each other. The other thing he told me was that they both decided early in their marriage that divorce would never be an option so when they fought or had troubles they had to find another way to come to a compromise. That really stuck with me. "Divorce is not an option".
Posts: 206 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Anthropos, I know it's hard. The first year of marriage is really hard. The first year with a baby even tougher.

Arguing, during these times, is another *getting-to-know-you* stage. Not as fun as the first, when dating, of course. But maybe even more valuable. You learn what's truly important to one another, and will eventually settle down into patterns that meet these needs. But it takes some time.

Please don't give up. It can and will get better.

I read some corny advice once, about keeping a marriage strong. It said to give your partner 3 genuine, heartfelt compliments each day. Yeah, it makes your partner feel good, but even more important, it *reminds* you why you love him in the first place.

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citizen
Member # 1344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for citizen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bonzo:

Bonzo, it was the way of ALL men till around 50 years ago. It's the traditional gender division of labour since time began. Some changes have occurred in the West in the last 50 years, but the ME lags behind. Of course there are exceptions.

I"m just trying to point out to Anthropos that the reason for a lack of understanding from her husband is pure lack of awareness. There isn't a lot of public discussion about post natal depression, or men getting 'hands on' with babies. The extended family is the support group for new mothers. In the West, grandmothers still help out a lot, and there are new support systems in the form of mother/baby groups - with VERY few men involved.

Baby time is woman time the world over.

Posts: 1039 | From: Cairo | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bonzo
Member # 12594

Rate Member
Hmmmm. . .considering my ME friend is 49, wonder why he doesn't hold the cultural "norm" then if what you say is true. [Confused]

I don't believe up until most recent years that men are all of a sudden "getting it". I think they got it all along but were basically told that was "women's work". All we have to do is give them the chance.

seabreeze
Member # 10289

I really do think it depends on what the woman is WILLING to let or ask the husband to do!

I find it really SAD that in the middle East (and in the West until 50+ years ago) the women exclude the men from this part of their lives! That is what really pissed me off about in laws (the women) trying to do this with my husband.
They were angry that I didn't want them with me when I gave birth, I wanted him.
They were angry that I didn't want them with me when we brought the baby home, I wanted him.
They were angry that I didn't want them around us 24/7 for the first month, I wanted him.
Why? Because it was OUR child and it is as much his right to have the wonderful memories and closeness of being with his child as it is a woman's. How is it that the women get this sweetness and the men do not? Simply because they are sperm donors? [Confused] Sure, changing poopy diapers and trying to calm a screaming child don't seem FUN but in the grand scheme of things you really appreciate your child when they smile and laugh when you've been through the rough times with them...SAME AS MARRIAGE! [Wink]
I feel really blessed that my husband was open to wanting to be more involved with the baby. He's a great father, he can do ANYTHING that I can do with her and she often WANTS him over me...runs (crawls) to him when she's afraid of the fan or vacuum cleaner, puts her arms up to beg him to pick her up when she falls or hits her head...and he loves that. That wouldn't have happened were he pushed aside and made to feel unnecessary.
FATHERS ARE MORE THAN JUST THE BREAD WINNERS AND THE DISCLIPINARIANS. They are an integral part of the lives of us all, especially IMO to daughters. Your relationship with your father really affects you as a daughter, so I see his bonding with her NOW as a real step to her future psychological stability.

BTW Sparkle, I loved that story, and I can see where that is a great way to have a marriage...YES WE CAN, I agree, focusing in on the things you LOVE or the reason you married him/her in the first place is GREAT advice. It's contagious, too, if people in difficult marriages tried that for a month I think they would see a HUGE improvement in their marriages and marriage partners. Great advice everyone. [Smile]

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stating that devorce is NOT an option can only be made, when both are willing to do so.
Stating that the care of a baby is an issue that concernes both, can only be made when both are willing to do so.
What we've seen here is the opinion from only one of both, we don't have any idea how he thinks about it.
And we can't, it is her concern to talk with her husband about what HE wants...
We can make a thousand possibilities, theories and options, but they are only based on what we know from that one person.
SHE just has to take action, so she will know what he is willing to do...
Maybe this sounds to simple, but I really think there is a one way street communication here...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by With a name like Smuckers:
Bonzo is right, IMO, men (no matter what the nationality) should be hands on and while they don't all come out of a box involved in helping to raise the children, you can help them.

My best friend in Germany had a baby a couple of years ago, and her relationship really suffered during the first half year after the birth.

Her partner was neither a macho nor a lazy guy, but he left a lot of the responsibility to her, simply because he was scared. He is one of those guys who needs to do everything perfectly, have total control etc. For example, when he cooks something, he never, ever improvises anything, he has to have a recipe and follow it to the letter, otherwise he gets nervous.

Now of course that approach doesn't work with a baby, there is no manual that you can follow to the letter and everything will be fine. [Big Grin] It was painful watching him handle the kid because he was so nervous and insecure. And whenever he didn't know what to do with this daughter, he would just hand her back to my friend.

She was like ... wtf ... I'm new to this as well, just because the baby came out of me doesn't mean I have a manual implanted in my brain. It's all about try and error, about learning, asking others and intuition.

I remember she often got very frustrated and angry at him. But she kept insisting and talking and discussing, and as time passed, the situation improved. He's now a very hands-on dad and it is lovely to watch how he deals with his daughter.

But I believe if she had simply done all the work herself and not insisted on him getting involved, it would not have come to this. It took a lot of love and effort.

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
... her relationship really suffered during the first half year after the birth.

He is one of those guys who needs to do everything perfectly, have total control etc. For example, when he cooks something, he never, ever improvises anything, he has to have a recipe and follow it to the letter, otherwise he gets nervous.

Mmmm, how do you know my husband? [Wink] [Big Grin]

It's good that women point out to their husband he has to make some efforts too... although I think you can't really CHANGE a person. When a guy is a control-freak and wants everything to be perfect, it will always be like that. Perfectly cleaned house, perfect meals, perfect children... Not always easy for the one who is 'less perfect'. [Wink]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com