EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Amr and Sammy (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Amr and Sammy
Laura
Member # 879

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For lack of any place on this forum to address this, I will post here.

Isn't it time for a "face-lift" here?

A forum for general chit chat?

Some forums retitled or combined?

Spammers posts removed?

Any other suggestions members?

Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sara_uk
Member # 11454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sara_uk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, you posted this Laura, I was going to post a suggestion for the forum, since we have so much love here! There was a section in another forum I use to visit, it is called Fight club, anybody got issue with anyone they take it there, it was lightly moderated, and only posters with 100 post or so can enter, so people can vent there. It was good idea, because people can take their personal issues out of a good thread, that get deleted entirely, because some decided to fight in it.
Posts: 816 | From: london | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still waiting for new smileys as also for the option that each member can upload own avatars. ~ TL
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tom jones
Member # 15768

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tom jones   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be nice for you to personalise your own page i have had a look and it is possible i have had a look at other forums that rent of this and they have much more varity .But maybe they are saving on their bandwidth [Smile]

--------------------
"Most men are accredited fools shortly after they leave the womb.”

Posts: 1116 | From: WARNING All stressed out & no one to choke | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dream on!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
refreshed
Member # 15850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for refreshed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ubb.classic 6.7.3

Its the last version and flavor of UBB.

All of what has been requested above is not technically possible with this software.

When sammy (or his real name) upgrades to 6.7.3 the database was not upgraded, so in fact this forum has two databases.

Sooner or later it will not be possible for web hosters to service this version of software. Google might not be able to place ads on this site.

I've seen the source code on ubb classic, I know because you must purchase the software and license there are diehard UBB supporters.

This is the best it gets lasses.

Posts: 277 | From: between a rock and a hard place | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laura:

Spammers posts removed?

I would be happy if this happened, the rest isnt going to.
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Shahrazat
Member # 12769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Shahrazat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by refreshed:
ubb.classic 6.7.3

All of what has been requested above is not technically possible with this software.

When sammy (or his real name) upgrades to 6.7.3 the database was not upgraded, so in fact this forum has two databases.

Sooner or later it will not be possible for web hosters to service this version of software. Google might not be able to place ads on this site.

I've seen the source code on ubb classic, I know because you must purchase the software and license there are diehard UBB supporters.

This is right and of course means some money for upgrading. What about collecting some money for our forum, instead of hitman? [Big Grin] [Razz]
Posts: 2591 | From: **Ex Oriente Lux** | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 'Shahrazat':
quote:
ubb.classic 6.7.3

This is right and of course means some money for upgrading. What about collecting some money for our forum, instead of hitman? [Big Grin] [Razz]
[Big Grin]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
refreshed
Member # 15850

Icon 1 posted      Profile for refreshed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

It isn't a matter of money, its a matter of technical feasibility.

UBB pre version 6 uses a unix database, UBB 6 and later uses a MySQL database and not all MySQL databases can be migrated.

I migrated databases for 6 months. Not all data can be retrieved and migrated.

Posts: 277 | From: between a rock and a hard place | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amr-
Member # 15737

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amr-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ubb.classic 6.7.3

You might wanna refresh your technical information as its 100 % wrong
first this not the last version of ubb
its last perl/cgi version
it use one database other one is archiving [Smile] which under the main one
last but not least its upgradable to php
its matter of time and decision made by sam to change the subscription to a new type of forums

i already wrote migration plan
P.s google migrating ubb classic you will see a lot of guides [Smile]

the rest of the requests will come with the new version of forum what ever it was ubb 7 or other

cheers
amr

Posts: 206 | From: Afghanistan | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't live in Afghanistan!! [Big Grin]
Change the place!

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amr-
Member # 15737

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amr-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Afghanistan is were my heart is [Big Grin] miss Jordan
Posts: 206 | From: Afghanistan | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desertgirl:
You don't live in Afghanistan!! [Big Grin]
Change the place!

Awww - he looks very fetching in his blue burqa [Wink]
Amr & Sammy - incognito

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hahaha, Shanta! [Big Grin]
I would immediately recognize them.

Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on ES exactly for a year today. I wonder what it'll be like a year on from now...

I was thinking for a while about changing my avatar... Mr Mod - perhaps new avatars to choose from? And emoticons. Pleaaase... [Wink]

BTW, I don't comprehend any of the technical stuff above. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you Amr for removing the Gucci shoes!

They really didnt suit you [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amr-
Member # 15737

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Amr-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
back to nature is my thing i guess [Cool] Back to nature
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] but ironically

[Wink]

You'd have to be careful with the Cillit Bang [Big Grin]

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amr-
Member # 15737

Rate Member
you dont like your momma nature ?
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

its the pubic hair in the veggies and cheese at Carrefour that would REALLY put me off and one would need to be SO careful with the chopping machine at the meat counter [Big Grin]

Tesco plans for nude shopping

Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Makbeta:
[QB] I've been on ES exactly for a year today. I wonder what it'll be like a year on from now...

you know i don't know whether to congratulate you or commiserate with you [Wink] anyway well done makbeta [Big Grin]
oh btw AMR you would'nt look good with a beard [Wink]

shanta! nude shopping at tesco that curiously appeals in some way [Big Grin]

Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Makbeta
Member # 14401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Makbeta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kalila:
you know i don't know whether to congratulate you or commiserate with you [Wink] anyway well done makbeta [Big Grin]

Thanks dear. I've laughed and cried [Big Grin] .
But it's all good. [Smile]

Posts: 2807 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JujuMan
Member # 6729

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JujuMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

BULLSHIT. Google Adwords will work as long as the HTML can be interpreted by your browser.

And the website can always be taken off the hosting company's server and hosted privately. Alternatively they can just get a co-lo server (i.e. own server + shared data centre infrastructure scheme) with the hosting company that will host this version of UBB even though the hosting company may not normally offer that service anymore to its customers.

Posts: 1819 | From: odesco baba | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JujuMan
Member # 6729

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for JujuMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

It isn't a matter of money, its a matter of technical feasibility.

UBB pre version 6 uses a unix database, UBB 6 and later uses a MySQL database and not all MySQL databases can be migrated.

I migrated databases for 6 months. Not all data can be retrieved and migrated.

This guy is a cowboy! [Big Grin]

Only cowboys say dumb things like "Not all data can be retrieved and migrated". If the data is there on the 'puter, an (appropriately) educated software engineer can get at it and if push comes to shove and you can't do a direct database migration then there is some ETL tool out there to help you transform the data into whatever you want it to look like (and if there isn't, darn it! write it! [Mad] and put it on sourceforge AND freshmeat for all to download for free. ).

GTFOH cowboy! [Big Grin]

Posts: 1819 | From: odesco baba | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru
Member # 11484

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for ArtistFormerlyKnownAsHeru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ What it is.
Posts: 3423 | From: the jungle - when y'all stop playing games, call me. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
looks like its back to school for sono [Razz]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Pestersome
Member # 16016

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pestersome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the time to look up the details which is how I came to the conclusion above.

I could post the information sometime in the next few days, when I have the time.

If I don't get banned again for disagreeing with Amr in regards to internet technology matters.

What he basically did was churn out internet jargon to confuse ESers. I will clarify the facts when I have a chance.

And since the owner of ES is in california "california penal code 653m" is relevant.

Posts: 107 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pestersome
Member # 16016

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pestersome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took the time to look up the details which is how I came to the conclusion above.

I could post the information sometime in the next few days, when I have the time.

If I don't get banned again for disagreeing with Amr in regards to internet technology matters.

What he basically did was churn out internet jargon to confuse ESers. I will clarify the facts when I have a chance.

And since the owner of ES is in california "california penal code 653m" is relevant.

Posts: 107 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amr-:
quote:
ubb.classic 6.7.3

You might wanna refresh your technical information as its 100 % wrong
first this not the last version of ubb
its last perl/cgi version
it use one database other one is archiving [Smile] which under the main one
last but not least its upgradable to php
its matter of time and decision made by sam to change the subscription to a new type of forums

i already wrote migration plan
P.s google migrating ubb classic you will see a lot of guides [Smile]

the rest of the requests will come with the new version of forum what ever it was ubb 7 or other

cheers
amr

an IGNORE option puhlease- for obvious reasons [Big Grin] (and not just for PM)... [Smile]
Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amr is right. I didn't see it as internet jargon. The link at the very bottom of every forum page "Powered by UBB blah" takes you directly to the ubb home page. Latest and greatest version is 7.4 which is php/mysql based.

This forum is running the latest of the "classic" version (perl/cgi based), which can be migrated easy enough to 7.4

I fail to see why it's something to argue over. I think it's great they are looking at upgrading as the current software is rather dated.

Heck it can even be migrated to other forum software (free open sourced stuff), all it takes is a plan, some scripts and time... pretty easy stuff for your average admin [Razz]

Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pestersome
Member # 16016

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ford Prefect (not perfect):
Amr is right. I didn't see it as internet jargon. The link at the very bottom of every forum page "Powered by UBB blah" takes you directly to the ubb home page. Latest and greatest version is 7.4 which is php/mysql based.

This forum is running the latest of the "classic" version (perl/cgi based), which can be migrated easy enough to 7.4

I fail to see why it's something to argue over. I think it's great they are looking at upgrading as the current software is rather dated.

Heck it can even be migrated to other forum software (free open sourced stuff), all it takes is a plan, some scripts and time... pretty easy stuff for your average admin [Razz]

As I stated before I had looked into this and its obvious no one has:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Bulletin_Board

UBB.classic (formerly Ultimate Bulletin Board or UBB ) was an Internet forum software package originally written by Ted O'Neil of Groupee, Inc. in 1996 . It is written in Perl and used a flat file database . The last version of the software was 6.7.3, and was maintained by Charles Capps until he left Groupee in early 2006.

[ edit ] End of life

At one time the hallmark of all message board software, UBB.classic has seen its market share steadily decline, largely due to the growing number of database -driven forum software written in PHP , such as vBulletin and Invision Power Board . In 2001, Groupee (then known as Infopop) acquired WWWThreads, which was renamed UBB.threads . UBB.threads, which is written in PHP and uses a MySQL database, was offered as a higher-end complement to UBB.classic for about five years, but in the end, the two products became internal competition. Groupee announced that the 6.7 series would be the last version of UBB.classic. In the summer of 2005, Groupee announced plans for a new product that was supposed to replace UBB.classic as well as UBB.threads , and would use PHP / MySQL like UBB.threads.

On March 30, 2006, Groupee, Inc. announced that the previously announced replacement product would be called UBB.threads v7 and not a completely new product. [ 1 ] However, much of the code of UBB.threads v7 is completely new since version 6 and incompatible with previous versions, and any "upgrade" from a UBB.classic or UBB.threads v6.x board would require an import as if it were a completely new product. UBB.Classic became an " end of life " and was no longer sold or supported on June 15, 2006.

This is the important part:

However, much of the code of UBB.threads v7 is completely new since version 6 and incompatible with previous versions, and any "upgrade" from a UBB.classic or UBB.threads v6.x board would require an import as if it were a completely new product.

Again for the hard of reading comprehension:

However, much of the code of UBB.threads v7 is completely new since version 6 and incompatible with previous versions, and any "upgrade" from a UBB.classic or UBB.threads v6.x board would require an import as if it were a completely new product.

Now Ford Prefect (Jeremy) have you known anyone or known any online community that has migrated from UBB classic 6.x to UBB threads 7.x?

I have. A nice bitchy, narly, always flamming Israel/Palestinian forum which was not webhosted for obvious reasons and had to steal bandwidth to be available because the server was self-hosted in the occupied terriotories.

If the admins/owners were willing to break telecommunication laws they would've put the effort into fixing the import.

Pestersome
Member # 16016

Rate Member
http://www.audiotoolers.com/ubbt/ubbthreads.php/topics/4414/End_of_life_for_UBB_classic.html

#4414 - Fri 31 Mar 2006 05:00 AM End of life for UBB.classic

MJB
Elite Audiotooler

Loc: Audiotoolers
What is Happening to UBB.classic?

UBB.classic will no longer be developed, and an end-of-life date has been set for June 15, 2006. From that date forward we will no longer develop or offer support for UBB.classic.

UBB.threads Version 7.0 will be released as an alpha on May 10, 2006. The public beta version is expected to be released on June 15, 2006.
The upgrade to UBB.threads 7.0 will require a data import. It is not a simple software update from UBB.threads Version 6.

UBB.classic is being terminated, effective June 15th. UBB.classic license holders may continue to use the product, but development and support will cease on that date.

So basically this board will no longer be developed, updated or upgraded. UBB.threads is very similar to the other board that we trialed a short time ago so please bear in mind that at some point we will consider going back to that board as it merges with the existing site whereas UBB.threads is an independant product.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Lord Sauron UBB is propriety, sourceforge.net and freshmeat are open source projects.

Groupee is no longer supporting or developing UBB classic and the software is commercial, let alone patented meaning to alter, develop UBB classic or UBB threads is breaking copyrights. Talk to WIPO.org about this.

Then there is the fact that Perl threads are a pain to convert to PHP, I'd like someone to show me proof that is has been done. Perl is client side and PHP is server side. But until I see how Perl can be converted to PHP good luck.

Then there's the fact that UBB classic is a flat database and UBB threads is a PHP databse.

Cgi is as old as Perl, cgi is obviously used with PHP but the databases are different.

Keep in mind this forum has been around since 1996, try to find a thread on this forum from before 2004 (that is not on internet archive). Its obvious that there are a few members from 2000 but after the upgrade ESers who hadn't posted since 2003 had to create new profiles. Hence why I stated there are two databases of this forum.

Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL

Again, why argue about it? "Migrating" is easy, just time consuming. Perl behind a CGI is not client side. PHP is not a database.

Flat file db's are very easy to manipulate by writing a script to create an SQL file based on that flat data, import it into the new mysql db and voila you have a db with all the old data that works with the new software. It's basic sysadmin 101 stuff.

Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pestersome
Member # 16016

Rate Member
Screen scraping to build an archive of threads, just dump it into text form.

Yes some flavor of PHP, vBulletin looks most promising.

Since there are so many copy and pasters here why not build a portal over a bunch of chat rooms (non-permenant much like the java based chat now). But use either:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joomla!

http://www.spip.net/en_rubrique25.html

And instead of a control panel why not a PHP based dashboard?

Let the content and features take precedent over the boorish characters. This forum still behaves like ezboard.

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There have been 2 new forums created using this version, correct?
Posts: 3291 | From: I DO believe in Karma! | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pestersome
Member # 16016

Rate Member
quote:
There have been 2 new forums created using this version, correct?

There is UBB 5.45c (which is broken on ES profiles won't migrate) and UBB 6.7.3 which the latest threads are supported by.
Amr-
Member # 15737

Rate Member
lOl sono do you think sam banned you because your technical argue with me haha
now once you go for php it would be better SEO based which technically would bring more ads and money [Smile]

once you go php you can easily integrate portal for it like for example ubb web site

about the chat its whole operated concept
you can easily built php / mysql flash
or even better for nice refresh rate
flash /php client side mysql database side

php based dashboard is a control panel just been made with php

Laura
Member # 879

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not understand any of this "techie talk".

In easy english, is there a possibility that some new changes can/will be made in the near future?

Amr-
Member # 15737

Rate Member
quote:

In easy english, is there a possibility that some new changes can/will be made in the near future?

yes there will be already deiced
wating for new software for forum to be bough then starting migration plan.
expected time frame unknown due the fact i am not the one who gona buy it
but i already stated i will do the migration for free [Smile]
cheers
amr

Pestersome
Member # 16016

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

yes there will be already deiced
wating for new software for forum to be bough then starting migration plan.
expected time frame unknown due the fact i am not the one who gona buy it
but i already stated i will do the migration for free [Smile]
cheers
amr

And what will the new flavor of BB actually be?
Laura
Member # 879

Do you know what software they are looking at Amr, and user features for it?
Amr-
Member # 15737

Rate Member
mostly would be http://www.vbulletin.com/features.php
Pestersome
Member # 16016

Rate Member
quote:
lOl sono do you think sam banned you because your technical argue with me haha
now once you go for php it would be better SEO based which technically would bring more ads and money [Smile]

once you go php you can easily integrate portal for it like for example ubb web site

about the chat its whole operated concept
you can easily built php / mysql flash
or even better for nice refresh rate
flash /php client side mysql database side

php based dashboard is a control panel just been made with php

I know what a PHP dashboard is:

http://www.infocaptor.com/

Its used often for business intelligence and LMS learning management systems.

Still you don't have an answer for how you are going to migrate data from a patented commercial software like UBB to PHP.

I've looked into this before and provided proof above as to how this isn't possible without wrangling with groupee.

You don't own the source code to legally devise a migration tool.

I work in IT and I don't often get involved in "techie cage fights", but I have seen a perl driven portal "migrated" to a php portal. And that was with commercial support from the developer. Desire2Learn took 2.5 years past the deadline to get up and running and instead of migrating the old system the old system was scrapped.

Much like you cannot find a ES thread older than 2004 on this board, it wouldn't migrate.

Amr-
Member # 15737

Rate Member
i dont wanna be rude sono but
i can only point you to were you read
this not a tech forum
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=7574
your migration plan is the following
1- migrate from ubb classic to phpbb 2
2- then upgrade from phpbb 2 to phpbb3
3- convert phpbb3 to vb forums or what ever [Smile]

cheers

Pestersome
Member # 16016

Rate Member
quote:
i dont wanna be rude sono but
i can only point you to were you read
this not a tech forum
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=7574
your migration plan is the following
1- migrate from ubb classic to phpbb 2
2- then upgrade from phpbb 2 to phpbb3
3- convert phpbb3 to vb forums or what ever [Smile]

cheers

I understand this isn't a tech forum.

But there was a lot of erronous comments above.

When the mods migrated in 2006 to ver. 6.7.3 it did have all the threads going back to 2001. But the older threads didn't function well, it was obviously 2 databases.

I saved/downloaded the forum in 2005 and 2006 I can see the difference.

And I did look at the hyperlink you posted. Read pg 1, 2, and 44. Up to ver 6.3 and 6.0 and 6.2 were massive errors. It doesn't look like the converters worked ans there are links to more than a few converters.

Again UBB is a commercial product. You cannot use the source code unless you are a developer and it appears that is why the converters on that 44 page thread dated 2002 isn't working.

I do know in 2004, 2005, 2006 the main hacker of ES used a honey pot with the same version of UBB to get into the database.

I suggest you look into "honeypot" proofing whatever version you are migrating to.

Laura
Member # 879

Speaking of hacking.

If the forum owners and or admin, know that the forum has been hacked, do they have a responsibilty to advise the members of this?

Amr-
Member # 15737

Rate Member
migrating is already done by alot of people
now error fixing is another story its based on your experience nothing more nothing less
and i think the correct word you looking for not honeypot its clone and of course will be done before things go production [Smile]

Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And all of this on the love & marriage-section... our God has made strange members... [Confused]
Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hibbah
Member # 12156

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hibbah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ?????:
And all of this on the love & marriage-section... our God has made strange members... [Confused]

oh, I loooooove tech forum php UBB 7.8 stuff. [Razz]
Posts: 1967 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com