EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Changes.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Changes.
Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im going back to school. Lately, I have been really feeling dumpy. Last weekend my party buddies picked me up and I was sitting in the back of the car feeling really down, or as you Egyptians would call it, nervous.

I am not happy with my life. I went on the whole rebound trip after the divorce, had my fun, now Im in a phase where I dont even desire a relationship with a man. Dont wanna be bothered, looked at or even touched by them. Im tired of partying and all the things I been doing. I look at my friend whose life revolves around their man and I feel sick to think if I was them. Right now to have a guy in my life makes me feel like my private space and independance will be cut in half. My GF says its a phase, and I told her, well whatever it is, I like it.

I have been really thinking about the future. I am so fed up with so many people and so many things around me. Plus, I really want to move back down to Florida. The north sucks. I hate winter, the people are rude and I miss my dad. He is the only family member I can relate too and who doesn't put me down.

A few arabic male friends of mine told me that in order to feel better I have to change my life. Apparently how I am living now isn't cuttin' it, so I have to change it and they are right. I had a real good talking to by an older Syrian guy buddy of mine and he really opened my eyes.

So I have been surfing online all this week looking for ways to go back to school. I hate my job, and dont make enough $$$. And like I said, I want to move back to Florida within the next 5 years and I have to get ready.

Well, I need a school I can go to without quitting work, but want to finish fast. Also I want a career that will enable me to work in Florida, and that when it came to me...Nursing.

I always wanted to be a doctor (go figure lol) but money wise it wasn't even an ounce possible. I really enjoy helping people too...I grew a big appreciation with nurses when I was having Aleya and ever since I wanted to be one.

Afer searching high and low, I wasn't going to give up so easily. The colleges I found are too expensive and dont let me work my hours. Then I thought to look at government programs that offer career training to help people make something of themself. I found a great one in Philadelphia. You pay your own tuition in payments and when you finsih school, the state of PA reimburses you every cent you paid! They go by what you make and I qualified!

So after summer, I start classes to be an LPN...Licensed Practical Nurse. Its a 20 month course and afterwards, you take the state exam and begin working. So by next October I will be done and able to have a real job so I can make real $ for me and Aleya.
I am going to work for about year up in PA, then will transfer to South Florida.
It is so cheap to live down there as well. I got my eye on this complex:
http://www.rent.com/rentals/florida/fort-myers-naples-and-vicinity/fort-myers/madison-at-brantley-pines/360348/2/?sp=1&searchrank=9

http://www.rent.com/rentals/florida/fort-myers-naples-and-vicinity/fort-myers/audubon-cove/447811/2/?sp=1&searchrank=1

So anyway, while Im here, does any of you know if I have to take the state exam again if I wish to transfer a PA nursing license to a Florida one??

Posts: 2757 | From: YOU CAN ONLY SEE WHAT I CHOOSE TO SHOW, THERE IS SO MUCH MORE YOU JUST DONT KNOW | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Tami, we might become neighbors down the road çause we wanna settle down in Florida too in a couple of years!! [Big Grin]

Best of luck with your studies and becoming a nurse. You surely will have no probs to find work. But remember the job is hard, long hours and not paid too well for all the efforts you make.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Momma_Dukes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well the positions i was looking at started entry level at $43,000 a year which is more than enuff me me.

i dont have many bills, and zero debt because I dont believe in credit cards and never needed a loan so, more $ in my pocket lol....

most of the jobs down there in nursing are for retirement places and residential communities. they are more of a home setting and change shifts every 8 hours so, plenty of time for the beach im sure. i can also be a private nurse, working in the home.

thats cool u wanna settle in florida. its so pretty and peaceful there. even morning traffic is nice cuz people do the speed limit and dont honk at u. basically living there puts u in 24/7 vacation mode and u become more laid back.

i cant stand the cold and winters up here are nasty. my dad called me the other day and he was sitting onthe damn beach as i was shoveling snow off my walkway. grrrrrrrrr

plus, i wanna buy a boat. nothing is better than setting out on the gulf of mexico. when i drove my dads boat i kept along the coast, but its soooo nice.
everyday for lunch break i would have a hot dog from the stand on the beach and sit on a bench watching dolphins play. after work i would get aleya from daycare and head to the beach and swim.
when u are around all that beauty, anywhere else on earth is not good enough anymore lol

Posts: 2757 | From: YOU CAN ONLY SEE WHAT I CHOOSE TO SHOW, THERE IS SO MUCH MORE YOU JUST DONT KNOW | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumicrazieluv
Member # 12053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumicrazieluv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Momma_Dukes:

So anyway, while Im here, does any of you know if I have to take the state exam again if I wish to transfer a PA nursing license to a Florida one??

You have to check the florida state nursing board licensure website to check and see if they have reciprocity with Pennsylvania. When I was licensed in CT. they required the equivalent of at least 6 months work expirience and a copy of my transcripts and current NY license.

Some states have below standard programs. It used to be only NY, CT, FL and CA had above level programs and those states all had reciprocity but I dont know about PA. Check the website that is your best option.

Posts: 1121 | From: Too crazy to look at a freakin map to find out.. | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Momma..... good luck..... sounds like an excellent plan!!!
We're also planning to move to Florida in a year or 2... probably the Fort Lauderdale area, to join the other old people!! [Big Grin]
Georgia is not a bad climate, but Florida is much nicer in winter!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So MD is looking at the Fort Myers area, Sue wants to move to Fort Lauderdale and we are looking to settle in the vicinity of Tampa ISA.... hey we can easily arrange ES meetings then!! [Wink]

You know Tami, I would have loved to move to Florida in a year when hubby retires but I guess we gonna stay in Germany a little longer for the money. Florida is so tempting - great weather throughout the whole year, beaches everywhere you look and many things to do. I hope this summer my hubby will be so impressed of this area that he will pursue himself to relocate the sooner the better!! I hope by living there I am not gonna miss Egypt so much anymore. [Frown] Hubby also promised me I am finally gonna get a parrot. Yes folks I am into birds!! [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well tami i would say go for it.. do whats best for u and yr child...it florida would make u happy go girl /do the lpn thing and get yrself fixed uo right good....do somethin foryrself for a change and show yr daughter that finishing school and doing good is the right thing..u go girl...i was asked to go back to college free of charge.. but i am loosing alot of memories i am scared i would forget all that i have learned.... anyone else feels like this as u age?

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cosmogirl
Member # 8748

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cosmogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking about you on the way in to work today. I think that this is a GREAT idea. My last job was as an "Admissions Assistant" for the College of Nursing at GMU. Nursing is a life changing job. Your social personality, and no bs attitude will serve you well, as well as the fact that you seem to have "been in the ****" enough to not flinch at injury and to have compassion for the weak or wounded.

My Mom moved her Mother into a part of the house in Boca Raton a few years ago, and Grammy died last November. We had a staff of Hatian and Bahamian home health nurses round the clock coming and going. It was like adding 4 rotating family memmbers, they were always there, and they went everywhere with them. The hardest part about home-health nursing is that the job often ends when the patient passes away. I wouldn't have that strength.

I hope you seriously chase that paper, because BEFORE our Nurses graduated, they had job offers in hand, some with major bonusues. After you get your LPN and practice, and find you like it, you can join an accelerated baccalaureate to get your RN in 2 years.

Good Luck to you, and you're on the right track here!

Posts: 1071 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hubby also promised me I am finally gonna get a parrot. Yes folks I am into birds!!
Get an African Grey- I have one and they are the funniest parrots in the world. Stay clear from the larger ones (cockatoos and macaws), they can scream the house down and get very possessive over one person.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Luck MD. You go girl!

It really is wonderful being independent. [Smile] [Wink]

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by weirdkitty:
quote:
Hubby also promised me I am finally gonna get a parrot. Yes folks I am into birds!!
Get an African Grey- I have one and they are the funniest parrots in the world. Stay clear from the larger ones (cockatoos and macaws), they can scream the house down and get very possessive over one person.
Yes will do. I think we talked about this before on here. I also heard that they are the easiest to train and to learn to talk. This should become interesting. Thanks!! [Smile]
Momma_Dukes
Member # 14252

Rate Member
thanks yall....really.

and parrots are an sob to live with. my mom has one that is older than me and belonged to like 5 people in muy family. there were 2, but the one (vinnie) he died.

the other one is still living at wolf whistles at people. he never shuts up.

weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
African greys aren't too hard. They are the best mimickers and talkers. The problem with parrots is they are likely to outlive you (even smaller ones live 60+ years). Because of this, you have to make sure they will have someone to look after them because the get traumatised really easily, and prone to feather plucking.
Still, I love dogs, but no animal makes me laugh more than a parrot.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Slewth
Member # 16166

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slewth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tami,

You should also investigate dental hygiene as well. It's just as intensive as nursing and an RDH can make about $60-80k a year for full time, set your own hours, and no weekends, depending on what the office hours are.

You can do it in two years and come out with an AS degree. You will have to take two board exams, a national written and a regional clinical exam. If you go for the expanded license and want to administer local anesthetic, then you would need a third board exam.

Dentistry is a career where you either love it or hate it. No in-between. The program is very tough and competition is tight, but it is so worth it.
Good luck! [Smile]

Posts: 199 | From: ...under the radar.... | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com