EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Baby names?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Baby names?
HandsUpHandsDown
Member # 15410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HandsUpHandsDown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have so many friends that are all having babies right now!! I want to be able to help them with names suggestions, but my knowledge for Islamic names is very limited. I would love to hear your favorite boy or girl names? [Smile]
Posts: 246 | From: but one life to live | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Burt
Fred
Harry
Henry
Aristotle
Herbert

Gladys
Gurtrude
Ermintrude

ok I will be serious now [Big Grin]

I like Ibrahim, Hassan, Musa, Amira, Ayisha,

there is a website somewhere with Islamic names.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boys:
Yassin
Seif
Bassel
Wael

girls:
Mennatallah (Menna for short)
Heba
Jehad
Enas

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Ministry of Common Sense:
Seif

Yes a beautiful boy name and not common at all in Egypt. I looked after a little boy named Seif in Cairo.

quote:

girls:
Jehad

[Eek!]

I truly hope this was just a typo and you meant to say Jihan.

What other names do I like??

Of course Yasmeen, Mariam, Amal, Rania and for boys Ramy, Raouf, Sami, Sherif.... I am sure there other nice ones out.

Good luck to all pregnant women out there!! [Smile]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mini, Are you raising your child Muslim?

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by of_gold:

We're not having any children - I'm too old for that. I'll be 42 next month and my husband is 37. I don't want to start over at this point in my life and he does not want to have children. I have a 21 year old son back in the States, but he's not Muslim and doesn't plan to be.

(Besides we have a newborn baby cat.) [Smile]

Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
[QUOTE]girls:
Jehad

No. I have a good friend here in Cairo named Jehad. It is typically a boys name and as far as she knows she is the only girl with this name. She gets teased about it all the time. But aside from the other meaning of the word - it is a nice name for a girl.
happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a girl i like Layla, Hana and Ameria.

For a boy i like Yassen and Yousef. I always found boys names not so nice [Frown]

Has anyone heard that in Egypt today people are calling their children more western names [Confused] I have recently heard of Sandy (For a girl) and Kenzie for a boy! Extended family members asked my husband to think of a good name but he likes quite traditional names such as Ameria, mena - they all looked at him funny [Big Grin]

Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by happybunny:
Has anyone heard that in Egypt today people are calling their children more western names. I have recently heard of Sandy (For a girl) and Kenzie for a boy!

My friends are Christians and they named their girls Caroline, Vanessa and Sandra. Only the youngest one - their boy - received a traditional name - Youssef.

When I worked in a KG in Agouza there were the siblings Andrew and Amanda, such beautiful, polite and smart kiddies - I will never forget them.

quote:
For a girl i like Layla,

That's my dog's name btw. When I first saw her she was five weeks old and all black - black as the night (and she still is six years on). [Smile]
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Girls names I like are Safeya, Hanadi, Roma and Amina

The last two are the names of my husbands paternal and maternal grandmas

I had a hamster named Zannouba which is a purely egyptian name, although this isnt very popular

RIP Zannouba :-(

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]girls:
Jehad

No. I have a good friend here in Cairo named Jehad. It is typically a boys name and as far as she knows she is the only girl with this name. She gets teased about it all the time. But aside from the other meaning of the word - it is a nice name for a girl.
Shes not the only girl with this name, hubby's neice is Jihad too [Big Grin]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
get-over-it
Member # 8447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for get-over-it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
For a girl i like Layla, Hana and Ameria.

For a boy i like Yassen and Yousef. I always found boys names not so nice [Frown]

Has anyone heard that in Egypt today people are calling their children more western names [Confused] I have recently heard of Sandy (For a girl) and Kenzie for a boy! Extended family members asked my husband to think of a good name but he likes quite traditional names such as Ameria, mena - they all looked at him funny [Big Grin]

I like Hana, and if we're ever blessed with another little girl, then this is what we'll call her. Our first daughter is Mira - although it irritates me when people here in the UK pronounced it as "Myra".

Our little boy is Danny - my husband says that Dani is a boy's name in Egypt although judging by his family's reaction it's not at all common. He was going to be either Nader (and called Ned here in England) or Jonah. My husband wanted to call him Amir, but that was too similar to Mira's name - so somehow we settled on Danny [Smile] You're right, Happybunny - boys' names are way harder!

Posts: 172 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my husband always liked adam,dont think thats a egy. name either,a girls name for me would be farha i also like fatima
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev08
Member # 14964

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tullin for a girl

--------------------
free palestine

Posts: 346 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by of_gold:

We're not having any children - I'm too old for that. I'll be 42 next month and my husband is 37. I don't want to start over at this point in my life and he does not want to have children. I have a 21 year old son back in the States, but he's not Muslim and doesn't plan to be.

(Besides we have a newborn baby cat.) [Smile]

Oh, sorry, I didn't read the first post.
Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get over it quoted:

I like Hana, and if we're ever blessed with another little girl, then this is what we'll call her. Our first daughter is Mira - although it irritates me when people here in the UK pronounced it as "Myra".

Our little boy is Danny - my husband says that Dani is a boy's name in Egypt although judging by his family's reaction it's not at all common. He was going to be either Nader (and called Ned here in England) or Jonah. My husband wanted to call him Amir, but that was too similar to Mira's name - so somehow we settled on Danny [Smile] You're right, Happybunny - boys' names are way harder!

--------------------------------------------

Ah my youngest daugther is called Hana and i do love it. The only problem is here in the uk people write it Hannah! [Wink]

Your husband has good taste dolphin as that is my sons name! It is common in Egypt, we liked it because it suits him wether in Egypt or the uk. [Wink] It was so hard GOI, he had no name for about a week! [Big Grin]

TL my cat is called Layla! [Big Grin]

Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Yousef as it can be Yuppie and I like Tarek as it can be Tikka... I don't think there are many nice boys names out there but I like some of the nicks.

For girls I like Kyra (pronounced Kee-ra), Ayisha, Hanna and Ahela

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bettyboo
Member # 12987

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bettyboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HandsUpHandsDown:
I have so many friends that are all having babies right now!! I want to be able to help them with names suggestions, but my knowledge for Islamic names is very limited. I would love to hear your favorite boy or girl names? [Smile]

Name him Habib if it is a boy or Habibah if it is a girl. I went to school with a black habibah and she always got pick on. I like Rakim, Kaseem, Kareem, Rasheed, Rashida, LaTisha
Posts: 2088 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avali
Member # 14242

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avali     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yassin is a very nice name..
Posts: 76 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudegirl
Member # 16636

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about Omar for a boy a name made famous by Omar Sharif
Posts: 16 | From: UK | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudegirl
Member # 16636

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rudegirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yasser , Ashraf , Ali , Hassan for a boy
Posts: 16 | From: UK | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Malak for a girl.
Rudegirl
Member # 16636

Rate Member
Rasha , Nada , Rana , Manal , Nour , Madiha , Magda ,Samia for a girl
Rashaaa
Member # 15206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rashaaa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rudegirl [Wink] you like my name :-) thanx...
I like the following:

For Girls:
Zeinab [after my MIL....if I have another girl, I will name her that]
Soreya
Dania
Rula
Sawsan
Amal [means hope, I love this name so much]

For Boys:
Samir
Ziad
Tariq
Wael
Wassim
Hani

Posts: 385 | From: In my hayati's heart and thoughts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Ibrahim for a boy and Cedra for a girl. Cedra is from the Koran as well.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for * 7ayat *     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Ministry of Common Sense:
Seif

Yes a beautiful boy name and not common at all in Egypt. I looked after a little boy named Seif in Cairo.

quote:
Originally posted by The Ministry of

Tiger Seif is actually quite common, I know so many of them. But maybe that is a new trend.
Posts: 4446 | From: Egyptian in Sydney | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
Burt
Fred
Harry
Henry
Aristotle
Herbert

Gladys
Gurtrude
Ermintrude

ok I will be serious now [Big Grin]

I like Ibrahim, Hassan, Musa, Amira, Ayisha,

there is a website somewhere with Islamic names.

My grandmother's name is Gladys. It's such a serious name
Snapdragon
Member # 9036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snapdragon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ra'wya = for female - means perfume (this is my MIL's name) we may use it as part of our next child's name.

Sahar
Soad
Jennah or Jannah - means paradise
Amal - means hope
Camelia
Warda = means rose - I think it is a very strong name
Nasra
Hannan

Hisham
Adham
Tariq or Tarek - one of my favs
Mounier
Wa'el
Gamal or Jamal
Ehab
Dia' - pronounced D - Ah
Bassem

Posts: 525 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Culture Club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any proposal for twin girls?
Posts: 756 | From: ...be solution... | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HandsUpHandsDown
Member # 15410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HandsUpHandsDown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you having twins, CC? Congrats is you are!!
Posts: 246 | From: but one life to live | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
* 7ayat *
Member # 7043

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Culture Club:

How about Malek (Angel) and Rahma (Mercy)?
Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Culture Club     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes according to USG the babies are twin girls. But the due date is still a month later inshaallah, hope everything runs well.

I would like to have twin's name which sounds 'almost' the same. I have proposal for my hub, such as:
* Rania-Riana,
* Aura-Aurelia,
* Arrafika-Arrakika,
Those could be Arabic, Islamic, or Universal names.

Posts: 756 | From: ...be solution... | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hanna,micheal,brock,brett,shanice,heather

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HandsUpHandsDown
Member # 15410

Congrats CC! You are going to have your hands full!! [Smile]
get-over-it
Member # 8447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for get-over-it     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, CC - that's lovely news for you! Good luck with the delivery. [Smile]

My husband has gorgeous twin nieces who are about 7 called May and Ma'yaa (not sure how the second name is written, but it's pronounced like My-ARR)

Posts: 172 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:

Not long ago you mentioned you are expecting twin BOYS. What happened?? [Big Grin]

Okay name proposals for two girls would be:

Sarah and Samirah [Smile]

Rudegirl
Member # 16636

Rate Member
Rudegirl you like my name :-) thanx...

Ur welcome , its my sister's name.

Congratulations CC,good luck

Ideas for twin girls Rania Rana
Amal Manal
Samira Samiha
Samiha Madiha

Culture Club
Member # 13767

Rate Member
Thanks so much for your attention.

Rude girl: Rania-Rana, Samira-Samiha, I will keep it.

TL : yes, USG can detect anything right and wrong, first, it detected boys, cause they showed 'balls', but then no 'balls', but whatever, the important thing is they will be healthy babies, girls or boys.

My cousin are twin girls, my brother has twin girls, the niece of my husband is also twin girls.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
quote:
cause they showed 'balls', but then no 'balls'

Lol, you are funny!! [Big Grin]

If my doctor would detect twice boys when they are actually not I would wonder from where he received his degree.

Can't complain about the doc I had in Cairo who told me in week 11 that I most likely gonna have a girl - and he was correct (thank you Dr. Hamza [Smile] ). And you are right, it doesn't matter as long as the children will be healthy. But - your husband will want to have a boy too later on. You know that, right? [Wink]

Well, CC, all the best for your delivery next month. Ah you must be SO excited, a new chapter in your life is about to open - MOTHERHOOD. Enjoy! With twins you will need a lot of help. All the best and keep us posted here on ES. I am thinking about you and I am so happy for you and your husband. [Smile] [Smile]

Rudegirl
Member # 16636

Rate Member
Like TL said with double trouble you will need all the help you can get , but it absolutely worth it nothing compares to being a mother best thing that ever happened to me (and believe me a lot happened ;-) ) its hard work but enjoy .
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just one thing CC don't dress them the same if you have 2 girls/boys
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favourite is still Samia for a girl.... followed closely by Jannah.

My best friend (Egyptian) and his wife have just named their baby girl Lara.... but they call her Lulu more than Lara!!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by * 7ayat *:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Ministry of Common Sense:
Seif

quote:
Originally posted by The Ministry of

Tiger Seif is actually quite common, I know so many of them. But maybe that is a new trend.

....or Tito Seif,like the Egy male bellydancer. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HandsUpHandsDown
Member # 15410

I like Samira and Sanitha. [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com