EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Any Ideas ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any Ideas ?
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I need advice or suggestions. 3 years ago I lent a friend a substantial amount of money. I completely trusted her otherwise I would not have offered. Last year I received a 1/3 of the money back. Since then nothing, she lives in England so I haven't seen her in a while. She was planning on selling her home and buisness to move abroad to be with her husband who had retired there, so I would get the money when she sold up. Last December I mentioned that I felt she was avoiding me, by text. The reply was that was she was working all the hours to pay me back and that she would be forced to take out a loan to pay me back, (the guilt trip I think!) The fact she had been to visit her husband at his villa for up to 6 weeks seemed to pass her by. Meanwhile I had not been able to visit my other half for 6 months! She then informed me that she was divorcing him (they have always had a tempestious relationship) and I would get my money from her divorce settlement. Contacted her a couple of weeks ago and she was visiting soon to be ex with her mum and grandaughter to 'sort things out'!
I am just looking for outside input as to what I can do. I realise with hindsight I was stupid so I don't need this to be banged home to me. [Frown] .
It's a bit ironic that I am here asking advice about being ripped off by a friend and not my husband who as I type is working between 12 and 16 hours a day, doing his best for us.

Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its very sad when you lend a friend money in good faith and they dont pay it back.Sounds like she is avoiding you in a way by not responding.Cant you phone her and get her off guard and see what she has to say.Sounds like she has alot of problems.. or maybe she is too ashamed to get in contact with you because she cant afford to pay you back as agreed.Or you could write her a letter if you know her address.Sounds like she cant afford to pay you back but it would be good to admit this to you then keep you left wondering.Try the letter maybe she will respond to this rather than a phone call. [Smile]

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/marydotapple

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mylife
Member # 14219

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mylife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ask her straight, can she afford to pay you back as if she cannot, see if you can arrange with her to pay you back monthly amount straight into your bank acount, good on hubby for working them long hours, i work similar but my limit is 13 hours so i take my hat off to him......sometimes its hard to confront a friend over money but its your money and if she was any kind of friend she would be willing to come to a arrangement good luck.....
Posts: 312 | From: my world | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contact her and discuss the situation and arrange to set up a repayment plan over a number of years based on what she can realistically afford. Make sure you add interest as well to compensate you for the time it will take her to repay. Have a look at any bank website and most of them have loan repayment calculators. Ensure a direct debit is then set up to repay direct to your bank. It may take time but its better than just leaving it.

If it really is alot of money also consider taking a charge on her home as security, it's not very difficult to set up and at least then you know you will get the money in the end.

Know how you feel I have the a similar situation, and regret doing it as it damages the friendship in the end. I would certainly think twice in the future before trying to help out friends in this way which is very sad.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iwas in this position in the 90's i loaned a friend of some 15yrs some money and then didn't see her again for a couple of years.
We finally met again by chance and i asked her straight out for repayment you know what she laughed sraight in my face i was so angry i took her to court and was awarded my money back plus a considerable amount in damages and she had to pay the court costs as well
needless to say i had the last laugh,TAKE HER TO COURT AND GET BACK WHAT SHE OWES YOU

Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh no ................

I lent my brother some money about 18 years ago and he's never paid me back

Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What if you cannot prove your claim in court ? Is there any sort of paper between you ? If not then arrange to meet her in a black limo, lower that black tinted glass, give her a deadline for payment, if it expires..send in your thugs to finish the matter.
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
What if you cannot prove your claim in court ? Is there any sort of paper between you ? If not then arrange to meet her in a black limo, lower that black tinted glass, give her a deadline for payment, if it expires..send in your thugs to finish the matter.

I agree partially with Dzosser. If you feel that taking her to court is your last resort you need to have proof.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I sympathize YAH, done it twice and not heard bugger all from either of my 'really good friends' [Frown]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't lend money with expectations that I will ever get it back. In other words I "lend" as a gift, then if they ever do repay it, it's a bonus, otherwise it was just a gift. This has saved me allot of headaches over the years, and probably family feuds heheh
Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VanillaBullshit
Member # 10873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanillaBullshit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ford Prefect (not perfect):
I don't lend money with expectations that I will ever get it back. In other words I "lend" as a gift, then if they ever do repay it, it's a bonus, otherwise it was just a gift. This has saved me allot of headaches over the years, and probably family feuds heheh

Wise words.

My motto: if you lend a friend money and you never see them again, it was worth it.

Posts: 2404 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 11766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ..     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmh Fee, a pool cue comes to mind!
Posts: 854 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never lend money..always take it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HandsUpHandsDown
Member # 15410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HandsUpHandsDown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VanillaBullshit:
quote:
Originally posted by Ford Prefect (not perfect):

Wise words.

My motto: if you lend a friend money and you never see them again, it was worth it.

Ditto. I never expect back money that I lend. If I get it back, it's a bonus.
Posts: 246 | From: but one life to live | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for young at heart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I spoke to my friend last night and the divorce is off and her move abroad is back on. She has a buyer for her house and is looking to complete in about 3 weeks so she has promised me I will get my money in full after that. Just have to keep the old fingers crossed! I don't want to lose her as a friend as we have seen each other through some dark times over the years.
Thankyou all for your input.It is sad to read that I am not alone and that others have experienced the same thing. I'll let you know if the party is at mine [Wink]

Posts: 4476 | From: Scotland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watching Murray-Wawrinka?

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
You bet QM [Big Grin]
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a great match! Have fun, and...if you'll get the change, visit Wimbledon, it's marvelous...

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Which matches did you see? The roof certainly has been useful tonight. Have everything crossed for Andy to win!
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Mardy Fish- Djokovic
Karlovic- Tsjonga
Kulikova-Dementieva

The matches weren't as excited as the match from yesterday. Many short points, kind of serve and volley play. Except for the ladies, they made longer ralley's.
But the whole atmosphere is different as what I am used to. I was invited by Dunlop-Slazenger and the director told me about the organisation from such a tournament, because that's my special interest and my work. They are working the whole year to welcome half a million guests in only two weeks.
Just before the tournament starts they have to send a special team only to secure the windcloths, which are specially designed for Wimbledon, with a very small logo of Slazenger. Big logo's are not allowed. As a sponsor and world-market-leader from the balls, they get only 10 sponsor-tickets each year, the policy is that the tournament is for the people of England, and so they avoid a stadium filled with bobo's. ( sponsors and officials)
It's impressive, and much different as, for instance, Roland Garros.
Next wish is visiting the US-Open, also special in his kind. One of my trainers told me last week he should like to go too- but had to save money for that [Smile] - so probably I'll going there next year ( IF it connects to WC football in South Africa, because there we will go too)
I'm a tournament freak... [Smile]

--------------------

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Glad you had a good time QM. My friends sister was lucky enough to get tickets by the ballot system. One day I'll get there. By the way I bought a swingball (not quite tennis) and we had a replay of last years Wimbledon. Federer (him), Nadal (me). Ofcourse Nadal won 8 to 1 !!!.It actually was really good. Took me back to my childhood [Big Grin]
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
8-1, that's convincing enough! :)Could Federer handle his loss???? [Smile]

--------------------

young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Well he's still speaking to me [Big Grin]
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
Well the news is good: The money due was paid back in full into my bank account this morning [Big Grin]
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:
Well the news is good: The money due was paid back in full into my bank account this morning [Big Grin]

wow now u can take us all on a trip lolol
good for u sweety

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
No probs Tina! If everyone wants to come I think it'll be a trip to the end of the road [Big Grin]
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by young at heart:
No probs Tina! If everyone wants to come I think it'll be a trip to the end of the road [Big Grin]

as long as the road ends and not drops off a cliff.
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
young at heart
Member # 10365

Rate Member
No cliffs I promise!
Dawn-Bev*
Member # 15190

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn-Bev*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hooray!!!!!!!!
Posts: 712 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
ok who is commin to hearts party?? what country are u in??yall will all have to come to usa cas i caint go to yall..

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com