EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Mother-in-law Problems (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Mother-in-law Problems
Pamela in Blue
Member # 16741

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pamela in Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know lots of egy mommas who are fair and understanding but so also many who are like this one. not fair not diplomatic expecting too much too soon not willing to negotate the husband too skidish to speak up the girl too foreign to put her foot down and all the while its her fault.
i wonder if the man was in her country and the girls mom or dad was expecting the husband to cook and clean THE RIGHT WAY would we think he should should work harder to fit in? Or we would be wander why the westrn familie is so hard on him. ? same thing ? what if this girl never clean a day in her life and now the monster in law puts her to work is criticize all she does, is that right.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my previous post it may sound like I was implying that my Egyptian MIL was like the MIL in question. Actually, my MIL was really accomdating and appreciated if I tried to help out. However, I didn't live there, I only visited for a few weeks at a time. I don't know how things would be different had I lived there. That being said, I have seen, in the family, that weren't as nice to their daughter in laws.

I do stand by my statement about Egyptians, in general, not being as knowledgable about proper sanitation or cleanliness. Just because something appears clean doesn't mean it is.

Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pamela in Blue
Member # 16741

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pamela in Blue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i will 2nd that.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to second EW on the sanitation and cleanliness...

My idea of clean and their idea of clean are of different ends of the spectrum.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ferret:
I have to second EW on the sanitation and cleanliness...

My idea of clean and their idea of clean are of different ends of the spectrum.

give examples!! [Eek!]
Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elegantly Wasted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Examples would be, not washing bath towels regularly ie reusing them for like a week. Not washing properly (hands, silverware, counter tops) after handling raw meat or poultry. Using dirty sponges or towels to wash/dry dishes. I kid you not, I saw someone washing dishes with an old shoulder pad that was removed from a shirt instead of a sponge. Stuff like that.
Posts: 2735 | From: my desk | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bins in ladies toilets for sanitary items...

Skip ext paragraph if you are squeamish:

Nothing more repulsive or disgusting than stepping into a toilet, especially in a restaurant, and finding sanitary items exposed to the world covered in flies and mosquitoes... that is just disgusting and all too common.

Dusting, what is it with the flicking of dirty clothes across your furniture!!!!! It just moves it! I actually dust underthings! Not just around.

I know many many ex pats who leave a dead cockroach for example by the side of the freezer and if it is still there after the cleaner has left she is fired.

LB, remember that guy down the backstreet where the guys wanted us to eat and there where flies on the chicken... that wasn't even in a refrigerator!!! Let alone how he was licking his fingers and chopping various cuts of meat. Does cross contamination mean nothing???

The municipal sharing cup in water stations that are chained to the machine so it cannot be stolen... watching guys spit on the floor then drink from a cup that 40 people beore him have used and possibly 40 after makes my stomach move!!!

I have lived in very poor countries where sanitation and poverty is a big issue but I have never been exposed to such lack of awareness of health issues!

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Churchlady
Member # 16445

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Churchlady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I don't want to portray Royayya's MIL as Jane Fonda in "Monster In Law". She is a very kind woman who is taking care of my young daughter and trying to teach her to be a good wife for her son. There are just differences as to how she does things and how my daughter does things. I am one of those people who can't stand to have anyone in my kitchen when I am cooking/cleaning, so I understand how hard it is for them.

Royayya should try to learn from her MIL but it is hard when her MIL teaches her things differently than I (her own mom) taught her.

An example, Ahmad, is MIL's use of cold water to clean everything such as dishes, greasy stove etc. I always wash my dishes etc. with hot soapy water not just for cleanliness but for killing germs.

--------------------
Church Lady

Posts: 66 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Egyptmom:
Hey, I don't want to portray Royayya's MIL as Jane Fonda in "Monster In Law". She is a very kind woman who is taking care of my young daughter and trying to teach her to be a good wife for her son. There are just differences as to how she does things and how my daughter does things. I am one of those people who can't stand to have anyone in my kitchen when I am cooking/cleaning, so I understand how hard it is for them.

Royayya should try to learn from her MIL but it is hard when her MIL teaches her things differently than I (her own mom) taught her.

An example, Ahmad, is MIL's use of cold water to clean everything such as dishes, greasy stove etc. I always wash my dishes etc. with hot soapy water not just for cleanliness but for killing germs.

i also use hot soapy water with dawn and mr clean. if i use cold water i would fell like they are not gettin clean.thats nasty to me..
Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happybunny
Member # 14224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for happybunny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EW Quoted: I saw someone washing dishes with an old shoulder pad that was removed from a shirt instead of a sponge.

I've seen that too [Eek!]

For myself my MIL always thought *i* knew best because i was foreign. I never had a problem with household stuff like the OP has posted. She always wanted me to teach her [Eek!] how i did things. She did teach me how to cook Egyptain food but then i taught her my types of food - Lasagne, curries, shepherds pies even eggy bread [Big Grin] [Eek!]

How about this daughter suggesting that she cook tonight and chooses what to make. As for the cleaning aspect, as it has been pointed out already she is in the MIL house so she has to abide her rules really.

Posts: 895 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Egyptmom:

Yes !
but my mother uses hot water in winter but cold water in summer ,who on earth can stand hot water in a bloody Egyptian summer?!

Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

I had forgotten about the communal drinking cup...on the street! For public use! What is that???? Bad enough that families share one cup or what's that drinking vessel thing called? It's like clay or something. And the cold water, yeah what's up with that? Or giving stuff a quick rinse off instead of actually cleaning it. And the dusting thing, too. You have to use polish or at least water once in awhile to get the dust up off the furniture.

Not to be gross, but I always got the argument that Egyptians are cleaner because they wash their asses after using the toilet. Big whoop, I wash my ass too. But do they wash their hands???

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Washing the floors with cold water and dipping the mop into the water only once when cleaning a room of approximately 80 square meters.

Leaving mops, rags etc. in a wet heap on the floor or in the bucket instead of rinsing and leaving them to dry.

Toilets and bathrooms are often disgusting, pee on the toilet seat, remnants of excrements in the bowl. Water allover the floor, so when you step into it it makes a dirty mess. No clean towels.

Not washing your hands before eating although a lot of the food is eaten with the hands.

Dust doesn't get removed but just distributed with a rag or a feather mop.

Handles, light switches, remote controls etc. don't get cleaned at all, so they turn black and sticky and disgusting to touch.

Stoves like this one.

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Have you seen the balady boys with the long little finger nail, would you wanna lick under there knowing he uses his hand to wipe his butt.

We use hot water in our home in the summer, i just washed my dinner plate in a nice hot suddy bowl of water and it is like an oven in here!

As for dusting! Well, I buy pledge [Big Grin] Simple, I even like the smell of it being clean...

I am just thankful our bowaab shares my love of the smell of cleaning products etc and every Thursday he disinfects the entire stairway and entrance. It is nice to open the door to a nice smell... (unlike tonight's smell as next door were eating liver.. blegh)

OCD [Big Grin]

*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ** Ahmad**:
who on earth can stand hot water in a bloody Egyptian summer?!

Hm ... I use hot water for cleaning in summer too and don't really see the problem, after all you're not bathing in it.

It is just not possible to get rid of certain bacteria or grease with cold water.

>>>>For bacteria to actually die, the hot water would have to be at a temperature above what your skin could tolerate. Most people can tolerate a temperature of 110 degrees for little bits of time, but that's the most we can do. To kill bacteria with hot water alone is not feasible when you are handwashing items.

However, hot water, is necessary to get rid of bacteria. Hot water and detergent together attack oils and grime. That oil and grime that you rinse away with the water contains bacteria. Without hot water, detergent is unable to be as effective. You may end up with an oily residue on your dishes or clothes.

Hot water also makes dishes able to air dry on their own very quickly. You can do your own experiment to watch this in action. Take two dinner plates. Rinse one in cool or even warm water. Rinse the other in very hot water. Set the plates down and watch them dry. You'll be able to see the hot water plate dry right before your eyes.

But why do we care about dishes drying quickly? Wet dishes and dishcloths are a haven for bacteria growth. Dishes that dry on their own, don't have to be towel dried, risking cross contamination. If your dishes are completely dry in your cabinets, you give no opportunity for them to be contaminated.

So technically, hot water by itself can kill bacteria, although it would have to be hotter than what we could tolerate. But the hot water we use is necessary to remove bacteria from our surfaces.

http://housekeeping.about.com/od/cleaning101/f/hotwaterbacteri.htm

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Barf! LOL long finger nail and wiping of the butt. I have seen the long finger nails...what is with that? Is that a fad or something? I know it was in the states for awhile.
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Ahmad, it is only the same theory as a washing machine. Hot washes are required to remove stubborn stains, the heat breaks down the molecular structures of oily substances that cold water meerly helps to solidify.

My one friend here (egyptian friend) must have the BEST cleaner in the world, everything sparkles and shimmers and I commented on it and she said her cleaner takes pride in her work. How lovely.

Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Yes hot water!
Any way it comes warm from the tape !
And Yes I bath in cold water in Summer

Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Elegantly Wasted:
Barf! LOL long finger nail and wiping of the butt. I have seen the long finger nails...what is with that? Is that a fad or something? I know it was in the states for awhile.

I have been told it is their way of showing the world they do not do hard labour such as rubbish collecting or working the fields. So many taxi drivers have them! Personally I want to vomit when I see one...

I will prob be corrected again lol, but this is what Egyptian friends tell me.

Sorry, but dirty horrible nails repulse me. And I cannot bear to imagine biting my own nails!!!

Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Always the elitist attitude. Always trying to one up or prove they are better. It's laughable. As if a cab driver is better than a rubbish collector. Hell in the states rubbish collectors make fairly decent money.
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
You people are completely right about these aspects!
I really do not know what to say!

stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The decent "catches" haven't learned how to cook or clean because they've been too busy studying to get that degree they'll never use for anything but to get a husband with. Cooking and cleaning skills are never part of their engagement sales pitch nor are they qualities men are looking for.

Girls' mothers do everything for them and when they get married they have to learn; it's up to someone to teach them.

Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by stayingput:
The decent "catches" haven't learned how to cook or clean because they've been too busy studying to get that degree they'll never use for anything but to get a husband with. Cooking and cleaning skills are never part of their engagement sales pitch nor are they qualities men are looking for.

Girls' mothers do everything for them and when they get married they have to learn; it's up to someone to teach them.

True to a certain small extent,
but by and large this is not true at all

cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I see the only solution is that a couple lives in their own home. I could not ever live in the house where I can't decide on certain things what or how to do. It would depress me before long. HOME is supposed to be the place where you can relax, be happy, for god sake.

But that's me.

Diplomacy is fine BUT it works both ways, being MIL or an older person is not justification to treat others how they like. Respect has to be also earned! I have no respect for old people who are mean or hurt others. And this is not directed to roqayya's MIL but in general. I hate this saying that old people need to be respected - I've seen old people who are mean to their every bone they are rude and don't respect others (in Finland).

But because this is Egypt and you cannot change certain things the best thing is to get your own home - now. It saves a lot of pain.

Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL LOL Those cleaning habits you all describe here are so funny when you read them, but IRL NOT [Big Grin] [Eek!] And so true!

I didn't read all yet but they (who I know, not meaning all Egyptians) also don't know how to use right detergents. Could tell you million examples that raised my hair...I mean if they buy one detergent they can use it everywhere. I can understand this with poorer families, they do not afford all different detergents there are in the market. But they are not necessary anyway they are just made so people would buy buy and buy. More money for the companies.

Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercalafragalistic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Ferret:

LB, remember that guy down the backstreet where the guys wanted us to eat and there where flies on the chicken... that wasn't even in a refrigerator!!! Let alone how he was licking his fingers and chopping various cuts of meat. Does cross contamination mean nothing???

arrghhh!!!!!!!!!!! I still have nightmares!! how they expected a young child and a pregnant lady to eat from that sh it hole is beyond me! selfish gits.

I will always remember seeing chickens feet in our kitchen... and i know that they didn't use anti bacterial cleaning stuff!!!!

Posts: 1248 | From: my sex is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pet hate with Egyptians was sheets. When we used to rent flats they would not use both a top sheet and a bottom sheet but have the blankets next to their bodies. Hanging out the blankets in the daytime is considered enough to get them clean. YUK

Another thing that winds me is the way Egyptians use so much dam water just to do the washing up..this is in a country where water is a scarce resource, yet the tap is left running the whole time... and yes its usually cold water not hot water that gets used to do it.

As for the long finger nail CF thats a stomach churner everytime.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny:

Another thing that winds me is the way Egyptians use so much dam water just to do the washing up..this is in a country where water is a scarce resource, yet the tap is left running the whole time...

Yes, that drives me insane too, particularly because I know that water shortage is going to become a worldwide problem in the future. [Frown]

Alright, I'm German, we are very obnoxious about environmental stuff, plus back home you're simply forced not to waste water (or electricity) because it's very expensive. But still ... you would assume that in a desert country people would be a bit more conscious about those things.

To be fair, it's not only Egyptians who waste water that way, I've seen the same thing in North African countries, and I know that Spanish people, for example, also wash their dishes under running water.

quote:

Hanging out the blankets in the daytime is considered enough to get them clean. YUK

I've often wondered about this one ... why would you hang a blanket out of the window, let it flap against the dirty outer wall of a house and then put it back on a bed?
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Water...I agree. But they spend it lavishly because "why not, it doesn't cost much". So they think only money? Money is not the most important - (clean) water is more important.
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalia..the stove you've posted is epical comedy, where on earth did you get that from [Big Grin]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *****     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow wee ha this thread should be problems with
cleanliness. Eeek shock horror some real scary things going on in the land of the pharohs.
LF I am in state of shock at what you see in ladies and in the streets, reminds me why I am a vegan. OMG put me off food for awhile [Eek!] [Eek!]
As for the stove [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 564 | From: planet earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 14677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *****     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
quote:

Another thing that winds me is the way Egyptians use so much dam water just to do the washing up..this is in a country where water is a scarce resource, yet the tap is left running the whole time...

Yes, that drives me insane too, particularly because I know that water shortage is going to become a worldwide problem in the future. [Frown]

Alright, I'm German, we are very obnoxious about environmental stuff, plus back home you're simply forced not to waste water (or electricity) because it's very expensive. But still ... you would assume that in a desert country people would be a bit more conscious about those things.

To be fair, it's not only Egyptians who waste water that way, I've seen the same thing in North African countries, and I know that Spanish people, for example, also wash their dishes under running water.

quote:

Hanging out the blankets in the daytime is considered enough to get them clean. YUK

I've often wondered about this one ... why would you hang a blanket out of the window, let it flap against the dirty outer wall of a house and then put it back on a bed?

I so relate Dalia hubby drives me nuts he leaves tap running and waste water, it is my pet hate because of the worldwide shortage of water, it is a precious commidity, trying to explain to husband, it goes in one ear and out the other
he has no comprehension of how precious water is
trying to explain is like water off a ducks back
he tells me he has more important things to worry about.yeah like one day he will turn on the tap and no water will come out it drives me nuts and I get so angry with him and I dont live in Egypt. I believe all citizens throughout the world should take action now to save our plantets
precious resourse because water is life, without it we will all surely die

Posts: 564 | From: planet earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
someone told me that the long finger nail is to do with giving the little woman pleasure [Eek!]
and he was most insistant about this [Roll Eyes]
well the mind boggles

Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Kalila!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry but I'm imaging getting all scratched up by that nasty long nail. And not in places I want to be scratched up. [Eek!]

Isn't the long pinky nail supposed to be a coke nail? It was here at least.

Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Kalila!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry but I'm imaging getting all scratched up by that nasty long nail. And not in places I want to be scratched up. [Eek!]

Isn't the long pinky nail supposed to be a coke nail? It was here at least.

Sorry sweetie but as god is my witness that's what he told me
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

[Big Grin] It's ok. Everyone has their own explanation for the long pinky nail I guess, lol.
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I agree with you. That definitely would be anything but pleasure!!

Now let me tell you the whole truth about the long pinky nail: The guys use it to get buggers out of their noses. Wallahy ..... I swear!!!

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elegantly Wasted
Member # 8386

Hahahah TL! Now that does not surprise me one bit. I think the other explanations are a front for the disgusting truth. [Big Grin]
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Egypt, flushing a toilet after pee is considered a waste of water, while leaving a tap running isn't.
In the UK the hot water tap didn't mix with the cold till very recently..or mostly doesn't, also showers were not very common since tubs were filled with bathing water for the whole family to use one after the other, saving on heating energy I guess.
As for wiping a$$, the first time I saw squared tissue was in London, piled up like as if they were for writing crap on them. Nobody washes their butt anyway, so the hose with a jet spray doesn't exist. [Frown] hence wiping crap off one's butt is mandatory but no washing off. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HandsUpHandsDown
Member # 15410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HandsUpHandsDown     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG. I think I will just go and vomit after this lovely discussion!! LOL And yeah, the pinky thing...hurl every time.
Posts: 246 | From: but one life to live | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To the original poster, not sure what to say.
Hubby and I have been living with the in-laws (it was only supposed to be 2 weeks, but it's been 10 now) and his mother is so accommodating of me. I pretty much forbid their cleaning lady to come into our bedroom, so I've been cleaning it as well as I can with what little is available to me to clean with.
I can't control how the rest of the house gets cleaned or not, but since this isn't my house, oh well. I only have to live here another week or so until we move insha'Allah.
And as to the cooking - I would hope maybe your daughter can try to work something out where they take turns and share the cooking, showing each other different ways.

As to the rest of this thread, I have to say alhamdulillah!!!!!!! [Big Grin]

This is the dirtiest place I have ever been (Egypt), and they simply don't seem to care or understand that they are living in so much filth.
Cloudberry, Dalia and Elegantly Wasted made so many good points.
I was starting to feel like I was going crazy and what was wrong with the people here, but now I can feel a little more normal again knowing I'm not the only one who has a problem with the way things are done here.
Cold water to wash, never cleaning the grout, leaving greasy oil splatters on the kitchen walls, light switches and doors filthy, using the same soap to clean everything, hitting the dust with a rag (this one really gets me going, like... what the hell? they are trying to make it evaporate or something? it just goes up into the air and falls right back down again!! argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), leaving food out all night and day in the heat, moving a lake full of water around on the floor and then calling it clean, not washing hands before preparing food or eating, spraying bug spray everywhere (including the dining room and also when people are sitting right there) etc, etc, etc.

I mean, these people make such a big deal about looking nice and smelling good, and they live in hovels! I DON'T GET IT!!!

And good lord, I've never seen so many people picking their nose in public in my entire life as I've seen here in Egypt, particularly the traffic cops.
I don't care if you want to pick your nose, but do it somewhere where I can't see you, and where you can wash your hands afterward.

Sigh.... I could go on but I've wound myself up now. lol [Big Grin]

I can't wait til we move and I can stock up on cleaning supplies and clean my house to my hearts content, in a way that I know it will actually be clean. [Cool]

Maybe we should start a group to educate the people here on proper cleaning. lolololol
[Razz]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supercalafragalistic
Member # 15631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Supercalafragalistic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
aahhh lovedone.... I was meant to be living with my partners family for 2weeks, and i can relate to everything you said!.... ended up being 4 1/2months! I very nearly went insane. It was one of the reason I didn't return! yuck yuck yuck!

Also... I know they said its meant to be for good luck or something... but having hand prints in blood outside your door?!?! eewwwwwww!!!!

Posts: 1248 | From: my sex is on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to CULTURE SHOCK!! [Big Grin]

I can't complain. The first Egy family I stayed with when I arrived in country was well off, they had a maid coming in every day who cleaned and cooked. I was more shocked when I stept outside of my apartment building in Rashdan St. (Dokki).

I passed by walking again this June and it became even more dirty with more cars trying to park on both sides of the street, little kids were playing barfoot on the sidewalks.... so dangerous. [Confused]

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pamela in Blue
Member # 16741

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by LovedOne:

leaving food out all night and day in the heat,

And good lord, I've never seen so many people picking their nose in public in my entire life as I've seen here in Egypt

I can't wait til we move and I can stock up on cleaning supplies and clean my house to my hearts content, in a way that I know it will actually be clean. [Cool]

Maybe we should start a group to educate the people here on proper cleaning. lolololol
[Razz]

i here so many egyptians say that they have a stomach for steel meaning they can eat anything and it wont affect them. BUT the reason is because they introduce so much bacteria into their systems

i know about the nose pickers what about the burpers and wedgie pickers?

Two words: dettol and clorox
not together but separate clean well
and HOT water i agree

biffy
Member # 15494

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for biffy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I need to know the truth about the finger nail thing now, cause my hubby got one on little finger? I would rather believe the no working in fields therory.
Posts: 63 | From: cheshire | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DawnBev
Member # 11276

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DawnBev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On egypt TV recently saw lots of adverts for Dettol

I cant live without my dettol wipes (now have pink grapefuit scented as well as lemon) for work - handy for the PC, the desk, the printer, the fan, etc

Posts: 1056 | From: UK, Middle East & Europe | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow this all sounds too familiar!

i have tried and tried to educate my husband but it has been quite impossible! He loves to cook which is great but the kitchen is like a disaster zone after wards and guess who has to come to the rescue??

Also honest to God he can sometimes open something, unwrap and throw the wrappings on the floor!!! in his own home!?@!?!?! How is that possible? and yes we have had the talk about how to aim correctly in the toilet!! Thank God he listened to that one and learned!

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Btw Egyptmom is your daughter this girl here> www.oneheartinegypt.blogspot.com ?
Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Dettol and Clorox are exactly what Egyptians use and they're not great.

Many reasons but let's say a few...Dettol is antibacterial and in the long run bacterias will grow resistant to these things. It is the same with antibiotics - not adviced to take unless you really need them (in Finland even many docs prescribe them unnecessarily). I read an article about it, there might not be many antibiotics left after ~25 years that will help/cure.

Like Antinal - there are cases where you DO need it but it kills all the bacteria, also good ones and it takes a long time for the stomach to get balanced again. Also if you do not take all the pills prescribed, not good. I've understood the bacterias will grow resistant little by little like this.

The thing is people think you need to kill everything almost 100%. Wrong. Normal cleaning is fine. If you clean TOO well that's not good either. If you scrub everything with Dettol and Clorox, that's unnecessary. Especially clorox is not mild chemical why would anyone want to strain their bodies with so much chemicals over the years?

And don't be scared so much of toilet germs - your kitchen cloth is probaby much more dirty [Wink] That's one disgusting thing. People use weeks old kitchen cloth to wipe in the kitchen, and then they go make food. Keep the kitchen cloth clean.

LovedOne
Member # 10222

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LovedOne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, speak for yourself about that kitchen cloth. Mine get washed after a day or two of light use. [Razz] Daily if I'm baking a lot or using them quite often.

I don't in general like a lot of chemicals, but it seems the people here don't like to clean with anything except Dettol, like somehow this stuff is supposed to be the wonder cleaner or something. Plus I find it stinky. [Big Grin]
Some glass cleaner wouldn't hurt these people, as well as something to get the grime out of the bathrooms, and Dettol isn't gonna do it. [Razz]

Posts: 1283 | From: Cairo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com