EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Speaking of male dominated society... (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Speaking of male dominated society...
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
quote:
Originally posted by Questionmarks:
quote:
come on QM, thank the nice man for giving you (as in you personally) permission to have an opinion. The rest of us (as in us people) await our permission to be granted from The Great One. [Big Grin]

Jealous???? [Big Grin]
of course I am!! Why do you (as in you personally)get granted permission to have an opinion when the rest of us (as in all those that are not you) have waited so long? [Frown]

*rubs chocolate cake into QMs hair*

I had to wash my hair today anyway.
No idea, ask the mister... [Wink]

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clear and QSY:
quote:
Originally posted by Questionmarks:
The internet... that's different. If you would meet them in real they probably would blush... [Wink] or they are a bunch of dirty men like there are everywhere. There are child-predators active on the internet too, do you think they behave in the same way on a ordinary day in theitatr ordinary neighbourhood?
Nooooo....

I agree with Ahmed, that most men don't talk about sex. To be honest, the men here also don't, at least not in a serious way, only by joking. You need to have a certain degree of mutual trust to discuss intimate things like that... But maybe that's cultural, and in the US it's different...

It's amazing how uninhibited men become when in front of the computer screen. Maybe it makes them feel safe to be anonymous. In any case men in Turkey are far worse, worse, worse than the Egyptians.

Also note: I have sat with several Egyptian female friends. Some are not afraid to talk about sexually related topics.

Were in Turkey were you?I have been in Turkey for 3 times,the first 2 was during my still hottie days and ive NEVER saw the men there as worse behaving themselves in relation to women than Egyptian men!

The harrasing ways of many Egyptian males i have not seen anywhere on Earth,yet.

Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
quote:

*rubs chocolate cake into QMs hair*

No. Better try the used chewing gum!! [Razz]
Exactly, using chocolate cake is ...a waste of chocolate cake [Razz]
Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good points cloudy, and TL

*scrapes chocolate cake from QMs hair*

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
2 nd. CLASS TRAIN IN EGYPT. [Frown]

No way would I ever get on that lol...

I don't even go on trains in the UK, my fear of trains is higher than that of planes [Frown] petrified of them!!! I spend my holidays in the UK travelling around by coach...

Still fail to see the terrorists POV about travelling on trains... must admit he confuses me a lot.

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cheekyferret:
[QUOTE]Still fail to see the terrorists POV about travelling on trains... must admit he confuses me a lot.

I believe the point is that unless you've been exposed, on some level, to how the other half lives, you'll never truly know what he's talking about.

Ahmad assumes we've never been to Egypt.
Ahmad assumes we've never lived in Egypt.
Ahmad assumes we've never talked to an Egyptian.

What Ahmad refuses to believe is that some of us live in Egypt and get out there, into the real world.

Note: I was offended by your use of the "T" word so I can only imagine how others would feel.

Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stayingput, the 'T' word is probably down to me, I nicknamed him 'Akmad the Terrorist'

he needs to get down to Luxor, there is a lot more of his 'real Egypt' here in upper Egypt than there is on a bloody train from Cairo to Alex! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheekyferret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was a pet name [Big Grin] Apparently Ahmad the Tw@ offended people as well [Wink]

He doesn't even know what I do here... how can he ASSUME anything about me, or any of us.

I have been travelling around Egypt, not just Cairo, since I was 17... photos are on FB if you wanna see [Big Grin]

I haven't even only lived in Egypt, I was schooled in Bahrain.... Since I was 14 I have communicated, eaten with, danced, drank, sing, swam, walked and galloped with Muslims and Egyptians. FYI, I am 34 in March so for nigh on 20 years experience I have had...

How old is he anyway, I have probabaly been in Egypt longer than him [Wink]

I'm not as fresh behind the ears as some folk think... and believe me, I have lived in places that are poorer than here. I lived in bloody Ghana... now if you think I don't understand poverty or can grasp how people with nothing think you are wrong.

Bloody hell... I walked through the Himalayas and met the poorest people on the earth... a 3rd class train!!! They don't even have trains.. let alone the cash to board one or the shoes to run to cling on to a moving one.

Now can I bloody have an opinion [Big Grin]

The boy talks shite, he wants to wind you all up with his utter nonsense.

How he can act as a spokesman for Egyptian women is a joke when he speaks crap about Egyptian men.

I am off now to see the Bowaab, he has tea for me and we have a kitten to fight over [Big Grin] I propmise not to talk to him though in case I get accused of wanting to rape him! Me and my intact clit an all [Wink]

Hureya

Posts: 11097 | From: Cairo | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
stayingput, the 'T' word is probably down to me, I nicknamed him 'Akmad the Terrorist'

he needs to get down to Luxor, there is a lot more of his 'real Egypt' here in upper Egypt than there is on a bloody train from Cairo to Alex! [Roll Eyes]

All anybody has to do to see the 'real Egypt' is venture three streets back from the source of big water (i.e., the sea, the Nile) because that's the only area even slightly fixed up for the benefit of tourists,although the 'have nots' are certainly not scarce in the tourist haunts.

I disagree with you, Ayisha. Ahmad needs to get off the train and hang out in a village in Upper Egypt - with "the family" and neighbors of "the family" (who are pretty much "the family") - for a little while.

Still don't care for the misplaced use of the "T" word.

Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
You're right, Cheeky, he doesn't know.

That's my point. It's easy to be a big man on an anonymous message board but it's tough to tango when you're the only one dancing.

No, he doesn't know.

maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God,Wont this post Die out? [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
Not as long as some people keep pulling the 'Egyptian Card'

I am over ruling and pulling the 'Woman and in Egypt card'

The Egyptian women I know and have spoken to do not think like Ahmad... he seems to think they are wrong... IT'S THEIR THOUGHTS!!!

He is just pissy cos he cannot dictate to them and try to force them to change their minds.

maxman
Member # 12150

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for maxman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May god Bless Egyptian Women. [Wink] [Wink]
Posts: 998 | From: UK,Egypt,east and central africa..... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by stayingput:

I disagree with you, Ayisha. Ahmad needs to get off the train and hang out in a village in Upper Egypt - with "the family" and neighbors of "the family" (who are pretty much "the family") - for a little while.

thats what I meant stayingput, and as ferret said people with no shoes to run for a train or money to get on one with, and no goats to make cheese to sell either!
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

thats what I meant stayingput, and as ferret said people with no shoes to run for a train or money to get on one with, and no goats to make cheese to sell either!
I'm sorry. I misunderstood.
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm sorry. I misunderstood.
*throws stale muffins at stayingput*

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

cloudberry
Member # 11163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cloudberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically I know what Ahmad means but travelling in 3rd class train still hardly helps a lot. When you have enough money you will never 100% know how life is for the poor. You can only imagine. Maybe you will get a glimpse of it if you move in the middle of nowhere to a village and get only few pounds a day to live on. Not for a month but much looonger!!!

I travel 1st class train (actually prefer airplane) because it is safer. And now one gets blamed even for that? It is only natural people want to do that if they have a chance. I bet those people who have to use 3rd class would prefer safer option if they had one. Authorities need to fix this problem and what are they doing? Egypt receives so much aid for other purposes, why not for replacing the old trains?

Posts: 758 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I did that !

And get this, I am coming probably next month to Aswan in a technical visit to the high dam !

Make sure I do not see you or ...... [Wink] [Big Grin] [Razz]

Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Rahala:
quote:

I did that !

And get this, I am coming probably next month to Aswan in a technical visit to the high dam !

Make sure I do not see you or ...... [Wink] [Big Grin] [Razz]

oh im sure you will see a lot of 'real Upper Egypt' coming for a technical visit to the High Dam! [Roll Eyes]
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rahala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cloudberry:
Basically I know what Ahmad means but travelling in 3rd class train still hardly helps a lot. When you have enough money you will never 100% know how life is for the poor. You can only imagine. Maybe you will get a glimpse of it if you move in the middle of nowhere to a village and get only few pounds a day to live on. Not for a month but much looonger!!!

I travel 1st class train (actually prefer airplane) because it is safer. And now one gets blamed even for that? It is only natural people want to do that if they have a chance. I bet those people who have to use 3rd class would prefer safer option if they had one. Authorities need to fix this problem and what are they doing? Egypt receives so much aid for other purposes, why not for replacing the old trains?

I really do not know about you people ,but my father ,grandmother and teachers taught me to undertand the person in fromt of me from a first dight!

just use the train ,talk to and LOOK at the people and you will know what I mean ,it is not about the train it is about EGYPTIANS

Posts: 2417 | From: Cairo | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
quote:
Ahmad needs to get off the train and hang out in a village in Upper Egypt

As I said before ,you do not know me and you do not know where I lived or grew up .and in fact my family have roots in the country side and I DO VISIT the country side occasionally escaping from Cairo to spend some nice days in this country and I do visit upper Egypt and take this ,there are no huge differences between Middle Egypt(Menya and Bani Sweef )and The delta ,but the traditions in upper Egypt are pretty much the same as those in Delta and this is normal since we live in the same country for thousands of years !
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
quote:
Ahmad assumes we've never talked to an Egyptian

No I do not !

BTW,I a not gonna waste my time in this forum saying"No I do not "
because you can not use your mind or because you anticipating my opinions! [Roll Eyes]

The idea is ,you have wrong idea about what and why things are done this way in Egypt

Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Ahmad assumes we've never talked to an Egyptian

No I do not !

BTW,I a not gonna waste my time in this forum saying"No I do not "
because you can not use your mind or because you anticipating my opinions! [Roll Eyes]

The idea is ,you have wrong idea about what and why things are done this way in Egypt

read your own words...... [Roll Eyes] you just did
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahmed ew3a tikoun minyawi ?? [Eek!] ana min markaz el 3edwa-minya, leya 2arayeb fil fashn we maghagha.. [Smile] [Big Grin]
Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cloudberry
Member # 11163

quote:
quote:

I really do not know about you people ,but my father ,grandmother and teachers taught me to undertand the person in fromt of me from a first dight!

just use the train ,talk to and LOOK at the people and you will know what I mean ,it is not about the train it is about EGYPTIANS

Look Ahmad I have stayed in Luxor and visited poor people even stayed in one poor(er) family's home one night sleeping next to mom and her daughters. They didn't have even bed. The proud mom showed me her chickens which lived in one separate room. They had a water buffalo outside and I got my milk for my tea from it.

I loved to interact with really local people, not tourist people, but this is not very easy for foreigners. At least as a woman to talk to women simply because they do not speak English much. So you use your hands.

Despite of my contacts I can say I can have no idea how life really is for them, you have to live in that poverty to really now. Just like you cannot never imagine how it feels like losing a child if you have not experienced it yourself.

cloudberry
Member # 11163

quote:

Because of my language skills I'd be 'forced' to talk to men. My Arabic is VERY basic, you can't call it discussion then. Unfortunately I don't see this as a very good idea here even though it is very normal in Finland. If you talk to a strange man somehow I think they will get a wrong idea [Roll Eyes]
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

Look Ahmad I have stayed in Luxor and visited poor people even stayed in one poor(er) family's home one night sleeping next to mom and her daughters. They didn't have even bed. The proud mom showed me her chickens which lived in one separate room. They had a water buffalo outside and I got my milk for my tea from it.

I loved to interact with really local people, not tourist people, but this is not very easy for foreigners. At least as a woman to talk to women simply because they do not speak English much. So you use your hands.

Despite of my contacts I can say I can have no idea how life really is for them, you have to live in that poverty to really now. Just like you cannot never imagine how it feels like losing a child if you have not experienced it yourself.

Use your hands [Big Grin] I know I bore you guys sometimes with my life BUT I love the line 'use your hands'.

As a qualified sign language interpreter and deafblind communicator guide this made me smile.

Gesticulating and hand gestures here to folk with limited English about subjects beyond my Arabic are priceless...

Sometimes in my life myself and my 'conversational' other have no mutual language but actions really do speak louder than words. OT I know... but you don't always need a common language to understand eh [Big Grin]

Ahmad the Terrorist, I live in Egypt, I meet EGYPTIANS everyday... tw@! I think you want me to mix with 3rd class people so your opinion looks majority.... !!!

Enjoy the dam, personally I was bored shiteless and the lack of interesting an relevant info was missing.. bit like ES!

BTW LOOKING at Egyptian women on 3rd class trains will NEVER give me the right to talk about their thoughts, wishes, desires and dreams.. try TALKING to people you fuckwit!!!!

stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
quote:

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

At least I'm not being tossed off a cliff!
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
quote:
I really do not know about you people ,but my father ,grandmother and teachers taught me to undertand the person in fromt of me from a first dight![QB] [QUOTE]

There's a part of me that wants to giggle because somehow you are now a personality expert, then there's another part of me that wonders how would anybody know the difference between one toothless old guy wearing a dirty galabaya and another.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rahala:
[QB] [QUOTE]just use the train ,talk to and LOOK at the people and you will know what I mean ,it is not about the train it is about EGYPTIANS

Which ones? The ones I have to step over to get from one car to another because they haven't paid for a seat?

Cripe. If I so much as looked at anybody while on the train I'd have to answer to my husband.

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

sashy hasnt tossed me off a cliff for ages now [Frown]
Rahala
Member # 16703

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Dzosser:
Ahmed ew3a tikoun minyawi ?? [Eek!] ana min markaz el 3edwa-minya, leya 2arayeb fil fashn we maghagha.. [Smile] [Big Grin]

la ana mesh men al-menya [Wink] bas leena 2arayeb we e97ab keteer fy elmenya we bani-sweef [Smile]

Ana asly men el-menofya balad elra3ees [Cool]

Clear and QSY
Member # 15597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clear and QSY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sashyra8:
Were in Turkey were you?I have been in Turkey for 3 times,the first 2 was during my still hottie days and ive NEVER saw the men there as worse behaving themselves in relation to women than Egyptian men!

The harrasing ways of many Egyptian males i have not seen anywhere on Earth,yet.

No. I was not in Turkey. We were talking about men on the internet. I am talking about when I used to have a Skype account 4 years ago. The men from Turkey were very bad (more vulgar then the Egyptians). They would send offline messages and the things they would say were vulgar and pushy. They just got straight to the point LOL. I ended up closing my Skype account after a few months because of it. But I imagine the guys from any country that venture onto the internet to stalk women will represent the worst of the worst. Nice to know that in real life they are more gentlemen then the ones online were.
Posts: 1626 | From: whatever, wherever | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sashyra8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

*kicks stayingput down the highest cliff she could find*
Posts: 3833 | From: here,there,everywhere | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sashyra8
Member # 14488

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
quote:

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

sashy hasnt tossed me off a cliff for ages now [Frown]
*now that Ayisha doesnt wear hijab,pulls her by the hair dragging her around and into the Nile*
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Clear and QSY:
[QUOTE]No. I was not in Turkey. We were talking about men on the internet. I am talking about when I used to have a Skype account 4 years ago. The men from Turkey were very bad (more vulgar then the Egyptians). They would send offline messages and the things they would say were vulgar and pushy. They just got straight to the point LOL. I ended up closing my Skype account after a few months because of it. But I imagine the guys from any country that venture onto the internet to stalk women will represent the worst of the worst. Nice to know that in real life they are more gentlemen then the ones online were.

Of course they are, unless you're out in the street and they haven't been properly introduced to you because then they'll surely have something just as brave to say. Egyptian men don't need the internet to harrass and they don't have to hide behind a monitor and keyboard to do it.

In fact, I would venture to say they're quite brave on the internet as well. One look at adultfriendfinder.com (meet real sex partners tonight! join for free!) astutely tells their story.

Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cheekyferret

Gesticulating and hand gestures here to folk with limited English about subjects beyond my Arabic are priceless...

That reminds me of a conversation I had the other week with my husband, he was explaining the commonly used sign language type gestures people use to communicate in Egypt. Like if you were waiting for a microbus and you see one approach so you make a hand gesture depending on where you want to go...holding the hand out with only the thumb and little finger pushed out apparently means the pyramids...he showed me quite a few different ones.

Do any of you expats living in Egypt use/know these?

Ferret I didn't know you lived in Bahrain, I was there last week for a few days and I really loved the place. I think it's way nicer than Dubai but it's really tiny!

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
I use the wait hand gesture... you know the one.

I need to see your hand mate... If you have only your little finger and thumb out and close the others to the palm and shake your hand this is the sign for my home town in the UK... I don't want to tell that to an Egyptian and he thinks I live in a Pyramid.

Aye, only from 1990 to 92... the volatility of the island was too much so I was evacuated out. That is when I was arrested for carrying live ammunition in a war zone... oopsie.

I lived in Isa Town but spent most my life either in the Gulf Hotel bar or the Yacht Club, even as a wee lil teen I liked to socialise [Big Grin]

It is a lush island but I have heard folk call it 'little Britain'

Happy memories [Big Grin]

Dzosser
Member # 9572

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzosser   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen the jerking off hand gesture being used by an Italian deaf/mute interpreter in that little corner of the TV screen.
I wonder if that meant something bad had happened to the player, as it was something about their Calcio, and she kept on doing it frantically. [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

Posts: 3219 | From: Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone. | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you go to St Christophers School? I have met a few people from UK who went to school in Bahrain and they all seem to go to that one!

Gulf Hotel are one of my clients....I went to visit them and was impressed by the way the hotel looks, its much more classy and tasteful than a lot of the 5 Star Hotels here....UAE has so many hotels and most of them look the same.

I also got to go to Bahrain circuit as they are another of my clients...no races on when I was there though but I did come away with an F1 fridge magnet! [Big Grin]

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MORE EGYPTIANS DIVORCING, NOT GETTING MARRIED AT ALL

"Marriage is like a besieged citadel," a columnist wrote recently in Al-Ahram, "those outside want to enter it, while those inside are looking for a way out."

According to a recently released study, more and more Egyptians appear to be looking for that way out. The study, the subject of an article on the National's Web site today, shows that 84,430 Egyptian couples divorced in 2008, an 8.4 percent increase from the year before. Additionally, there are now 13 million Egyptians aged 30 or older who have never been married at all, according to the study, released by the Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics.

For a conservative, family-oriented society such as Egypt's, that 13 million number is surprising - it represents a fifth of the entire population over 15. If you slice off 15- to 29-year-olds and consider that a large majority of Egyptian seniors (65 and up) have probably been married at some point, you're talking about a huge swath of young and middle-aged Egyptians who've never been hitched - probably more than a third of citizens ages 30 to 65. That rate would rival or exceed the corresponding percentage of never-married Americans.

From the article:

Adel Madani, a marriage counsellor, recently told the Egyptian state TV programme, Saidaty, meaning My Lady, that most marital problems revolve around jealousy, extramarital affairs -- mainly from husbands, physical and verbal abuse against wives, fights over financial issues and relations with the in-laws.

That sounds pretty normal to me. And by normal, I suppose what I mean is American. Which begs the question: Is Egypt becoming more liberal, more Westernized in its cultural conception of marriage? The growing number of divorces, not to mention the presence of more sex and marriage counselors, would suggest that the answer is yes.

http://www.themajlis.org/2009/10/22/more-egyptians-divorcing-not-getting-married-at-all

Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Questionmarks
Member # 12336

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Questionmarks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a number of young people that indeed don't want to marry. The reason is sad: because of the example their parents gave of what marriage is. I don't know if its the same in Egypt, but in Holland it is researched that children out of broken marriages, often have one or more broken marriages themselves.
That is a thing that can't be controlled, but it should be thought over more, before even starting to have children: is my relationship stabile enough to raise my children for the next coming 25 yrs....

--------------------
“Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I will meet you there.”

Posts: 7202 | From: EU | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheekyferret
Member # 15263

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Dubai Girl:
Did you go to St Christophers School? I have met a few people from UK who went to school in Bahrain and they all seem to go to that one!

Gulf Hotel are one of my clients....I went to visit them and was impressed by the way the hotel looks, its much more classy and tasteful than a lot of the 5 Star Hotels here....UAE has so many hotels and most of them look the same.

I also got to go to Bahrain circuit as they are another of my clients...no races on when I was there though but I did come away with an F1 fridge magnet! [Big Grin]

Yup, I went there.

I don't know how it is now but Bahrain was a strict Muslim country, far stricter than here. I found Ramadan hard there!!! Real hard...

I would love to go back and see the place.

stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by *Dalia*:
MORE EGYPTIANS DIVORCING, NOT GETTING MARRIED AT ALL

"Marriage is like a besieged citadel," a columnist wrote recently in Al-Ahram, "those outside want to enter it, while those inside are looking for a way out."

According to a recently released study, more and more Egyptians appear to be looking for that way out. The study, the subject of an article on the National's Web site today, shows that 84,430 Egyptian couples divorced in 2008, an 8.4 percent increase from the year before. Additionally, there are now 13 million Egyptians aged 30 or older who have never been married at all, according to the study, released by the Central Agency for Public Mobilization and Statistics.

For a conservative, family-oriented society such as Egypt's, that 13 million number is surprising - it represents a fifth of the entire population over 15. If you slice off 15- to 29-year-olds and consider that a large majority of Egyptian seniors (65 and up) have probably been married at some point, you're talking about a huge swath of young and middle-aged Egyptians who've never been hitched - probably more than a third of citizens ages 30 to 65. That rate would rival or exceed the corresponding percentage of never-married Americans.

From the article:

Adel Madani, a marriage counsellor, recently told the Egyptian state TV programme, Saidaty, meaning My Lady, that most marital problems revolve around jealousy, extramarital affairs -- mainly from husbands, physical and verbal abuse against wives, fights over financial issues and relations with the in-laws.

That sounds pretty normal to me. And by normal, I suppose what I mean is American. Which begs the question: Is Egypt becoming more liberal, more Westernized in its cultural conception of marriage? The growing number of divorces, not to mention the presence of more sex and marriage counselors, would suggest that the answer is yes.

http://www.themajlis.org/2009/10/22/more-egyptians-divorcing-not-getting-married-at-all

As with fake hymens, there wouldn't be a product or service to sell so the industry itself answers your question.

Perhaps the evil west has imported the notion that a couple can and should look outside, to qualified professionals to solve marital problems.

_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That following article properly fits into this thread:

Poor people sing train blues

The intergovernorate railway services continue to have the reputation for unreliability even after 18 people were killed and 37 others injured when a passenger train drove full-speed into the back of another late last month, southwest of Cairo. These trains, popularly known as the poor people's trains, are always overcrowded, delayed and often out of service, commuters complain."The overall train services are declining. The cars of a Cairo-Fayyoum train, for example, have no electricity, or toilets. They are not fit for humans," Mohamed Ahmed Abdul Haleem, a regular commuter, said at Cairo's main railway station in Ramses Square."A three-hour delay for the daily Cairo-Fayyoum Trains Nos 148 and 162, which usually make unscheduled stops, is normal," Abdul Haleem added.Ahmed Ismail, another angry passenger, says that riding the poor people's trains is a daily risk. “The rail services on trains connecting Cairo to Fayyoum, Zagazique City in the Nile Delta or Port Said have been poor for a long time compared with long-distance operations elsewhere in Egypt,” Ismail, a student, said.He added that the Cairo-Fayyoum trains were either late or cancelled without a notice."Even when the officials bring a train from Ramses Station depot, it becomes so overcrowded that people can't even get on it," Ismail groused.Hamdi Abdul Sadeq said that he stood for most of the journey on the last three occasions he had used the train from Cairo to Fayyoum, some 108km south of the capital."After the latest accident I expected that the Government will improve the service. But it has done nothing," Abdul Sadeq said, adding that it was unacceptable for passengers regularly to stand during train rides. In the meantime, a station official urged passengers to take the bus or a car 'because the trains to Fayyoum are impractical'."The trains are old, slow and can not carry all these people," the official said. Some disappointed passengers took the official's advice and left the station to take collective taxis, or mini-buses to Fayyoum.Meanwhile, other travellers complain trains are inconvenient for trips to Zagazique."The seats are uncomfortable in these trains, which are dimly lit especially during the night journeys," says Bassiouni Ibrahim, a farmer.Khalid Shafiq, an engineering student, said that poor passengers usually faced a chaotic journey each day because of delays on the Cairo-Zagazique line."Passengers of the poor people's trains do not enjoy safety or rights such as compensation if their train is cancelled or delayed," Shafiq said.Daily travellers going to Sharqia must leap onto the slow-moving train that is always crammed, he said, describing his daily train journey as a triangle of pain.It is a waste of time to take these trains , which the passengers dismiss as the rickety turtle carrying farmers."The Cairo-Zagazique train is uncomfortable as the packed passengers are either sitting on the floor, or standing as tightly as fish in a sardines can," says worker Mohie Amin, a daily commuter.He adds the train gets him to work from Zagazique, some 70km north of Cairo, in about two hours instead of one."It's the worst way to go," he says.

The Egyptian Gazette
Today

http://www.egyptiangazette.net.eg/gazette/home/detail_2_23.shtml

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for *Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Dalia

Shame on you ,shame on you I checked the link you gave ,the man never said "Circumcision of the girls who need it makes them chaste, dignified, and pure"
You are twisting the words Dalia

I have never imagined that you are a liar!

shameful

shameful

quote:
Originally posted by metinoot:
I was asking Rahala to post a link which contradicts MEMRI's translations. Most of the time when a MEMRI clip like this becomes viral (meaning heavily debated, emailed and commented upon in forums) there is a clarification of translation.

Rahala did infact state that the MEMRI translation in his opinion is false. I would like a second opinon other than his.

The translation I posted on page 4 of this thread is correct as far as I can tell. If Ahmad or anyone else thinks it is misleading or words have been twisted, I suggest they take the translation and point out to us where it is wrong.
Posts: 2803 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caringforwomen
Member # 14617

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caringforwomen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They need to take responsibility for the harrassment these women in Egypt endure. I would not want to have a curfew imposed on me at 30 years of age. I can see why these Egyptian women are not happy with their parents controlling their lives. This may be cultural in egypt, but I would not like it. It sounds like the Egyptian women can't relax and enjoy themselves because of what the family may feel. That does not sound fair.
Posts: 384 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*Dalia*
Member # 13012

Member Rated:

Motalakat Radio in Egypt

The Voice of Divorced Women

Mahasin Saber wants her "Radio for divorced women" to put the spotlight on the serious deficits in the male-dominated Egyptian society, and to make people aware of the discrimination suffered by women. So far, she's succeeding. Nelly Youssef visited her in Cairo

"Welcome! You're listening to 'Radio for divorced women' in Cairo ... a new life listening to what your heart tells you … a space to speak and to listen." Those were the words with which Mahasin Saber went on air for the first time at the beginning of the year.

She founded her "Radio for divorced women" ("Motalakat Radio") as a spin-off of her blog "I want a divorce." She founded the blog two years ago after her own divorce, and used it to report on her long march through the various institutions on her way to getting her divorce.

She blogged: "When a marriage no longer offers any safety, when a feeling of security is an unattainable dream, then breaking the bonds of marriage becomes a solution for which one yearns."

How did Mahasin Saber move from her successful blog to the idea of setting up her own internet radio? "Egyptians listen more than they read," she says. And certainly now, more people listen to her radio than read her blog.

Volunteers committed to fight prejudice

Saber wants to break down prejudice by giving divorced women a voice and removing inaccurate perceptions. That way, she wants to give space to allow women who have been affected by the problem to win respect in society. She tries to overcome the usual cliché that divorced women are a "disgrace."

Even if divorce represents a personal failure, a woman has to be able to leave this negative experience behind her and take on a positive role in society.

Mahasin Saber also wants "to promote treatment for the psychological problems of divorced women after their separation, and to use the radio to give women the opportunity to express their feelings."

Twenty-three people work for the station; not all of them are divorced, not all of them are even women. The team also includes men, since men make up part of the target audience.

Saber, a 30-year-old with a degree in history, points out that the people working on the project do so out of commitment. They don't get paid, because there isn't any money. There's no office or studio. Each presenter makes his or her programme at home and uploads it to the station's homepage. The public can respond via e-mail or on Facebook.

An affront to conservative Egyptians

In spite of Motalakat Radio's very modest finances and the fact that the station has only existed for three months, it already has proved very popular, not least because of the interest of the conventional media in the project.

In almost every Egyptian family nowadays there's a divorced woman, and so the station reaches a wide public of both sexes. The divorce rate in Egypt is at an all-time high – the official statistics say there's a divorce every six minutes – so it's no surprise that the station meets a need.

The high divorce rate may well be due to the prevalence of early marriages, which take place as a result of family pressure or of a woman's fear that she will be regarded as an "old maid" if she doesn't get married soon.

But Egyptian society is dominated by conservative views, and a station like Motalakat Radio, which is both provocative and courageous, is seen as scandalous. Some men see it as an open call to women to seek a divorce and rebel against their husbands. Women's rights activism is seen by them as sowing the seeds of a culture of family discord.

On the other side there are the station's supporters – especially those women who see the station as a chance to turn their own tragic experience into something positive. They want to create public awareness of the problem and overcome the psychological and social barriers with which divorced women have to struggle.

Saber says she's open to criticism: she has a hard task, since she wants to change things, "and you can't do that overnight."

She explains the attacks on her as an attempt to defend old traditions: "We criticise traditions and customs which Egyptians take in with their mother's milk. A divorced woman is seen here as something bad, and as a result, she hasn't got a right to say what she thinks – let alone to open a radio station!"

Broad spectrum of counselling and information

She sees the first signs of social change in the fact that men also respond to what's on the radio. "Some people believe we only let women on the air if they are complaining about their fate or wanting to overturn the men's world," she says.

For example, there's a programme called "Before you say yes to divorce," which is directed at married women, and which tries to warn them against the mistakes which divorced women have made. Another programme is called "Oh, how misunderstood we are!" which looks at how divorced women deal with the daily burdens and the daily harassment to which they are subjected as they have repeatedly to justify their position.

In addition there are programmes like "How do I bring up my children" and "Stories from under the bed" in which divorced women can find out from psychologists and sociologists how to make the best of their children's education or how to help them come to terms with their parents' divorce.

The station also deals with the psychological problems which women may have as a result of their divorce, and with ways of turning these negative experiences into something positive. There are also programmes for young people like "Girls' heart" or "Facebu'" in which a young student of medicine makes fun of the latest trends in Facebook.

Saber says that among the main reasons for divorce in Egypt are violence against women and men leaving their wives. Most of the women she has had to do with, either in court, or in connection with the station, have been physically abused or abandoned by their husbands.

© Qantara.de 2010

tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I WANT TO BE DOMINATED A LITTLE...

DZOSSER COME SPANK ME...i will be yr naughty little american slut.thats what someone was callin us americans.. i swear i wont be a prude baby...

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where is Rahala???? Just realized he's not posting any longer.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com