EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Share Your Egyptian Experiences/Love & Marriage chat » Military And Mariage for an Egyptian Man...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Military And Mariage for an Egyptian Man...
LisaMazz
Member # 18650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaMazz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First hello to everyone. I am new here and I have found my way into this forum by search for answers on Google. I ask a question and they brought me here, so...

I didn't see a forum for what I need to ask so I hope it's ok to post like this.

I have two questions if anyone can help me with answers to them. First Q.: Is there anyway for a man to NOT have to go into the military in Egypt when he finishes with college? ..... which leads me to Q 2: Is there any way for marriage between a woman who's American (living in USA), and a man who's Egyptian (living in Egypt)?

My man and I wanted so much to marry here in USA but we missed our chance to do so. Now he is back in Egypt to finish college which he will do by June and then he will have to enter the army for three years. .... And maybe is there a way for me to marry him without physically being there in person? I have heard that it may be possible to send "proof of" papers to the Embassy and have that be legal for both USA and Egypt.

Thank you so much if you could help at all. We are desperate in search of answers. ... Lisa

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there is marriage by proxy since yall have met but its not recognized in the usa.u would have to go there to marry i assume and there use to be a law that if he married an american he wouldnt have to go to the army,but i have heard they stopped that i am not sure though.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaMazz
Member # 18650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaMazz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much Tina. That would leave me hopeful if he didn't have to go in. I just can't get to Egypt in time before the start date of the army.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they might be leniant enough to allow him to marry u while hes in the army. did yall ask?>

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marrying him will NOT stop him going in the Army.

Why would you want to marry him and not be there??

He wont have to do 3 years Army if he's finished his education, only 2, possibly even 1, not sure how it goes with college grads.

Sorry I don't understand the point of marrying him and not being there, it wont stop him doing the Army and he wont be able to travel on a spouse visa without Army clearance, so might as well wait.

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stayingput
Member # 14989

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stayingput     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They used to exempt Egyptian men who married foreign women from military service.

Then they noticed a pattern of marriage, exemption, divorce.

Now when the Egyptian husband requests his exemption documentation for his visa, they take him in straight away.

I guess they figure if he can leave his mother to travel, he can leave his mother to serve his country.

Posts: 758 | From: Here. There. Everywhere. | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
An Exercise in Futility
Member # 9889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for An Exercise in Futility         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine is a fully qualified doctor - apparently if you are something like that and they take you in, you are an officer and it's for 3 years.
He managed to be taken in as a 'foot soldier' so only had to do a year instead.

Posts: 5593 | From: Egypt | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dubai Girl
Member # 15488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dubai Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanta Gdeeda:
A friend of mine is a fully qualified doctor - apparently if you are something like that and they take you in, you are an officer and it's for 3 years.
He managed to be taken in as a 'foot soldier' so only had to do a year instead.

Like everything else in Egypt even the army is totally corrupted. My husband was exempt because he has no brothers but his best friend had to join so to make his life easier his father paid money so that he didn't have to do the initial 40 days training at the military college and as he was a pharmacy graduate he spent his entire time in the army working in the army hospital pharmacist.

My father in law was not so fortunate when he joined the Egypt/Israel war kicked off and he ended up spending something like 5 years in there before he could leave

Posts: 500 | From: United Arab Emirates | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LisaMazz:
First hello to everyone. I am new here and I have found my way into this forum by search for answers on Google. I ask a question and they brought me here, so...

I didn't see a forum for what I need to ask so I hope it's ok to post like this.

I have two questions if anyone can help me with answers to them. First Q.: Is there anyway for a man to NOT have to go into the military in Egypt when he finishes with college? ..... which leads me to Q 2: Is there any way for marriage between a woman who's American (living in USA), and a man who's Egyptian (living in Egypt)?

My man and I wanted so much to marry here in USA but we missed our chance to do so. Now he is back in Egypt to finish college which he will do by June and then he will have to enter the army for three years. .... And maybe is there a way for me to marry him without physically being there in person? I have heard that it may be possible to send "proof of" papers to the Embassy and have that be legal for both USA and Egypt.

Thank you so much if you could help at all. We are desperate in search of answers. ... Lisa

Get your head out of the clouds...
Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monkey
Member # 17287

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monkey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisa, does he want to get married? What's your aversion to Egypt? If you want to marry an Egyptian, visiting Egypt is a given. You don't want to cut yourself off from America - don't expect him to cut himself from his roots. You have to meet in the middle. Do you really want to be married and living on separate continents? For, maybe, 3 years? How old are you? Three years is a long time.

If he wants this marriage by proxy thing, well, that sounds somewhat sus. Would your family be happy with you marrying someone they'd never met? I highly doubt his would either. Family is a big deal in Egypt. If that isn't already apparent to you then something is awry.

I wish you the best of luck. My advice would be, if you're really sure about him and intent on this, go there - see Egypt for yourself. You don't know it til you've tried it [Smile]

But the getting married bit, I'd slow down, take your time. Marry in haste, repent at leisure, or so they say.

Posts: 1678 | From: New Egypt Forum - http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
weirdkitty
Member # 15365

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for weirdkitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm confused why you don't just go there to marry? Marrying without actually being together, and they say romance is dead! Out of curiosity, would you ever consider doing it that way with a man from your own country?

As for the military, he has to do it. If you two hope to get him a visa one day, he will need to hand in his completion letter from the army (translated). Maybe he will be one of the lucky ones that won't actually need to serve. Many Egy men are put on "hold", if the army needs them, they'll get them, if not then after three years you will get the all done and dusted letter from them. My husband was never called up, his eldest brother was, and his younger brother is currently in the three years wait and see.

--------------------
Another one....

Posts: 2573 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaMazz
Member # 18650

Rate Member
Well thank you very much everyone for all your advice. It is all taken into appreciation and consideration.

Some of you ask why I do not wish to, or why I do not just go to Egypt? My answer is simply because I cannot afford to at this time in my life but yes of course I would love to be there with him if I could. But money stops me there. I would love to meet his family surely, and he mine as well.

We have known one another for many years now, it is not a quick romanced idea. We have had plans to marry within the last couple but could never make that happen obviously. We were hoping that if we could marry now then he would be able to come here to live as he wishes to. He does not wish to live in Egypt, his dreams he says are here with me in America. So yes this is not just my wishing, but his as well.

Family is a very big part of my life also, and his would be as well. Our families know of our situation and they understand. To be together is the most important to us. We would of course need to travel to share time in both countries when we marry, when we are financially set to do so.

But thanks so much again for all your help.

Lisa

marydot
Member # 15932

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for marydot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the years you have known each other, you could of saved money together for the air flight?

Even a small amount each week would of helped and mounted up.

If you want something bad enough in life then you will make sacrifices.

Three years is a long time to wait for someone..

--------------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/marydotapple

Posts: 1048 | From: If you are given a blessing you may be envied | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tareq
Member # 18033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tareq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by marydot:

Three years is a long time to wait for someone..

I would say It is all about the degree of Love and the personality.

As for me, I would say 10 years is my minimum period. I can still wait for someone for 30 years.

30 years always pass like winds.

Posts: 277 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropos
Member # 9410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tareq on what planet are you living??
If you wait thirty years your life passes by while you wait!

To the OP.
If this man was American would you go through all of this?
Please it is not worth it.

Posts: 2184 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
London
Member # 18795

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for London     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Lisa,
We went all through this six years ago. Please
Feel free to send me a private email.
Your partner will go for a selection at the army and
They take x amount of men each year, ie his
Could be deferred.
An option he has, as my husband did, is to re enrole
In university ( he can do this until he is 30)
They will not take him whilst he is a student and they will
stamp his passport as free to travel for another
Year, he can only leave Egypt during university holidays
The problem you will have is thy the states will not
Give him a quick visa, no tourist visa etc.
If he were to re enrole in university for October
That would give you more time to marry, if that is really
What you want to do.
Would you consider moving to Egypt during this time?
My then partner left in the university holidays and we had
Got a fiancée visa for the Uk. We married in the Uk and he
Found work, we have a beautiful girl and are very
Happy together.
The next problem is re newing the passport for travel, the consulate here gave him another year to travel with military
Travel, we couldn't go to Egypt as we wouldnt be
able to get out again, but we travelled.
My husband waited 5 years to get his British passport and he
THEN became exempt from military as he held
Another passport but not because we were married.
It can be done, but with a lot of love, patience and
time.
I hope this helps you and I know it's a really tricky
time

Posts: 1 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com