EgyptSearch Forums   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Locate a friend or business in Egypt » Canadian seeking Egyptian friends, male or female

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canadian seeking Egyptian friends, male or female
CanadianPoetess
Member # 6604

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for CanadianPoetess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello All,

I'm planning a trip to Cairo sometime within the next year and while I have done a fair bit of reading travel books etc, I was hoping to talk to some Egyptian folks about my trip planning etc.

I have been reading through the various postings here and while some of the topics have certainly been...enlightening, I was hoping to get first hand advice on how to avoid the pitfalls of being perceived as yet another uninformed westerner.

In terms of travelling alone as a woman, what can I, or should I do to be respectful of the customs and keep my eyes open. Any insight is appreciated.

best regards,

Posts: 24 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crypt76
Member # 23

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crypt76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi
well its not all that hard to come to egypt and have fun, u make it sound like you are getting ready for a battle or something!! anyways i would be honored to become a friend of yours, so do feel free to drop me a line on my email crypt76@hotmail.com and we can talk further over there...

Posts: 153 | From: cairo, Egypt | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dr_judge
Member # 5223

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dr_judge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Friend
I think that Egypt have a special nature you must take care of Egyptian customs and try to enjoy your time and mostly you wont be bothered by people they will be very helpful and all your needs are available in egypt with low prices so you must take a lot with you and you can walk on the streets any time lonely and peacefuly
just try to detremine more what you wanna ask about andyou can email me on msaaads@yahoo.com
Judge

Posts: 191 | From: cairo, Egypt | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NesreenAngel
Member # 4372

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for NesreenAngel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there...
I am from Ontario,Can. Female,45. I wish to travel to Cairo,Egypt myself.I was thinking also,within this year. What would be your reason to go here?If you don't mind my asking you? I was wanting to take the trip to see a young man,very good internet friend of 3 yrs. But i did not want to go alone,and i also have never been there. My friend though,says that everyone there is mainly very friendly and very helpful.
I wondered if we might go together.I would need your reply ,to obtain details.
Please reply to me ok? If you don't mind.
Thank you!

Posts: 12 | From: Penetanguishene,Ontario,Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CanadianPoetess
Member # 6604

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CanadianPoetess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, yes, let's exchange info via email (this is for the Canadian lady, btw)...my email addy is:

lit_chick_ca@yahoo.com

cheers,

B

Posts: 24 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NesreenAngel
Member # 4372

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for NesreenAngel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Canadian Poetess...
Don't know your name yet,but, that's ok ,
Just wanted to let you know that i will be sending you an Email..ok?
Janet**

Posts: 12 | From: Penetanguishene,Ontario,Canada | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Poly
Member # 6851

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Poly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by CanadianPoetess:
Hello All,

In terms of travelling alone as a woman, what can I, or should I do to be respectful of the customs and keep my eyes open. Any insight is appreciated.

best regards,

Mainly the same in other countries, but with some extra caution because it is an Arab-Muslim country and if you are a foreigner (white, blond, etc woman), you will attract more attention. Some Mediterraneans can blend in with their colour, I don't mean to be racist. So: don't walk alone in deserted streets esp. late at night, except if you are with a group of people, try also not to take a taxi alone very late at night, except at the airport, or your hotel got it for you for example and ALWAYS bargain, if he told you 10 say no 5. Take care of your bag in crowded places, try not to wear jewellery (I know most Europeans don't but just to be sure), and don’t be drunk in public. As for clothes, try to wear long skirts and not too tight trousers (capris are fine but no shorts), if you are going in Summer, then cotton will be the best thing, no sleeveless either, but I don't mean that you kill yourself and wear long sleeve in August, short sleeve t-shirts are fine (again not tight).. what else? I always read in lonely planet travel guides that sometimes it is better to ignore unwelcome comments, say you are married or even wear a fake ring or something. Also, don't say you are travelling alone (even if you are). I found the trick of being married right here in Italy, because men will be all over you once they know you are a foreigner. One last thing, if you ever felt uncomfortable or scared (esp. from men), don't hesitate to shout and ask the Police (if they were around) or a shop assistant for example for help, they will do it voluntarily with a big smile on their faces Have a safe trip.

[This message has been edited by Poly (edited 15 March 2005).]

Posts: 95 | From: Italy | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timo_dentist
Member # 7423

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for timo_dentist   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i can be ur friend

http://timo1.jeeran.com/timo/
http://hatom1.jeeran.com/bitar/
http://coolman0120c.jeeran.com

áäßÇÊ ÕæÑí
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40483090@N00/

my e mail

timo_dentist1@yahoo.com

Posts: 7 | From: cairo,egypt | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samersult
Member # 7734

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for samersult     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I would like to be your friend , I have many Canadian and British friends and I'll be happy to have more friends if interested please send me an email to
samersult@yahoo.com

Posts: 22 | From: cairo | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Attorney at Law
Member # 6396

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Attorney at Law     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Im Yaser,

yaser12345@hotmail.com

Posts: 94 | From: Nasr City, Cairo, Egypt | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com