EgyptSearch Forums   
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Doing Business in Egypt » Real estate question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Real estate question
Raya4peace
Member # 7521

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Raya4peace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can a foreign person invest in real estate or business in egypt?
What about exchanging property in California with one in Egypt?
Thanks for the help.
Raya

Posts: 16 | From: California, U.S | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mirox
Member # 4595

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mirox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a strictly legal point the answer is no.
Foreigners are allowed to own real estate property in Egypt for residential purposes only. However, there are other ways whereby a foreigner can get into that particular type of business.
As for the property swap, I don't think it can be done formally in the described manner (i.e., two people would execute a formal contract whereby properties in two different countries are exchanged). As a general principle, property issues are very local with respect to jurisdiction especially if a dispute arises with respect to the warranties of a party.
Hope this makes it easier for you.

Posts: 88 | From: Khonfesharia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Small
Member # 7071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Small     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The wife and I have just bought a property in sharm.The only thing we had to do was get a one year residents visa.I think that this was so we could sign over a power of attorney to the lawyer.I am not sure if we have to renew it every year because we own a property or if it was just a one off whilst buying it.Apart from that it was pretty straight forward.
Posts: 70 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
salama
Member # 5941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for salama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raya4peace:
[B]Can a foreign person invest in real estate or business in egypt?
Thanks for the help.
Raya

Raya, I know a lots of non Egyptians who own properties and businesses in Egypt.

I also believe that you may not pay tax to start with but do not know the conditions.

Try your luck there, Egypt needs such enterprises all over to combat unemployment .

Posts: 1873 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raya4peace
Member # 7521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raya4peace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for the info. I would be interested to purchases a residence to start with. I just don't know where to start and who to contact. I am still in U.S.

quote:
Originally posted by mirox:
Foreigners are allowed to own real estate property in Egypt for residential purposes only. However, there are other ways whereby a foreigner can get into that particular type of business.
As for the property swap, I don't think it can be done formally in the described manner (i.e., two people would execute a formal contract whereby properties in two different countries are exchanged). As a general principle, property issues are very local with respect to jurisdiction especially if a dispute arises with respect to the warranties of a party.

Posts: 16 | From: California, U.S | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raya4peace
Member # 7521

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raya4peace     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your great feedback. Can anyone give a rough idea about the const of a 2 or 3 bedroom flat near the American University?
Does anyone know of a simple rental to get started while looking after I get there?
Thanks again.
YOu can email me at raya4peace@yahoo.com

ifty
Member # 7939

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ifty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi mirox,

Really interested to know if properties purchased are Freehold or leasehold. I intend to purchase an apartment in alrehab (Cairo)and would really appreciate a quick response.

Thank you

Ifty

quote:

Posts: 13 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mirox
Member # 4595

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mirox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ifty, sorry for the late response. The property would be a freehold in Cairo.
Posts: 88 | From: Khonfesharia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ifty
Member # 7939

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ifty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks mirox,

I'm going to Egypt this Friday 24th June and will be buying the flat the following day.

Any Europeans willing to meet up in rehab for a real-estate chat ?

Posts: 13 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mirox
Member # 4595

Member Rated:
Ifty, have a safe trip to Cairo.
I have a property in El Rehab myself, neighbor . I hate to discourage you but i advocate caution. I think there's still a requirement on foreigners to receive some approval from the cabinet to acquire property in Egypt. I can check it again for you if you want.

Mr. Small, I'm sorry for not telling you any earlier; but has your lawyer ever advised you that foreigners may not buy property in Sharm el Sheikh, they can only lease it for up to 99 years?? I hope you haven't signed any contracts...

Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Mr. Small, I'm sorry for not telling you any earlier; but has your lawyer ever advised you that foreigners may not buy property in Sharm el Sheikh, they can only lease it for up to 99 years?? I hope you haven't signed any contracts...

This is simply not true and further you do not have to have any approval from the government. Many of the old laws relating to foreigners buying property have been changed as the country opens up to encourage new investment. People will also tell you that you can't own more than one property, that also is not true. Basically the rules for foriegners are the same as for Egyptians and I have that information direct from a government minister.

Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mirox
Member # 4595

Member Rated:
Penny,I'll answer in 4 simple words "law 9 of 1996" read it then we can talk
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am happy to read anything because if I am being given wrong information by a government minister then that is serious, so how do I find this clause and how do I know something from 1996 has not been updated as that is nearly 10years old?
Posts: 3809 | From: Paradise | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mirox
Member # 4595

Member Rated:
Hi Penny, I'm terribly sorry, but that minister has simply given you wrong information and believe me it's not the first time. One of my clients has once recieved wrong advice from the prime minister a few years ago. Another one (I was present at this one) has also given a wrong advice with respect to the government's position.

If you want to check on the status of a law you should rather consult an electronic database there's one at www.tashreaat.com but it requires a special subscription. I'm not going to tell you to take my word for it but please check with any (decent) lawyer you know whether or not there have been any new laws regulating foreigners' ownership of real estate property. If you want the law itself, please tell me and I can procure to get you a copy of it

ifty
Member # 7939

Rate Member
Hi Everyone,

Just got back form Cairo tis morning and have purchased two apartments in rehab. I bought directly form rehab management and there are no laws which stipulate foreigners cannot buy or have more than one property, english contracts have been signed and confirmed. Although there is a disagreement in this thread i'm happy to put any questions on anyone's behalf to rehab management.

Ifty

nevermind
Member # 6674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nevermind     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In questions of property I believe there can be difference between owning the apartment and owning also the land under it. Like in case of these 99 year's trule it sounds very likely that you have full rights to your villa or apartment but after 99 years maybe (but hey who knows what all may happen in 99 years) you still have these rights to your villa but simply the government regains its right to the land under it so in case it has got new ideas... don't even know? do they simply demolish the house or do they offer compensation for the walls or something? I think none of these 99 year rules in the world have not yet arrived or then they have been changed in the meantime :)

(Am just speculating about possibilities here until absolute truth in this matter arrives :)

But read your purchasing documents folks, do they mention "land"???

Posts: 1051 | From: Menoufeya | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mirox
Member # 4595

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted      Profile for mirox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ifty, congratulations, you've just bought yourself some property. You see, i've wasted too much time on this, so to make a long story short my advice to you is to do the following:

1- vist www.martindale.com that's a global lawfirms directory.
2- look for law firms in Egypt
3- pick one (or many for all I care) and ask them whether or not foreigners are allowed to own real estate property in Egypt and under what conditions.
4- recieve the answers and feel so good about yourself.

smarah
Member # 8191

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am an Egyptian woman marrid to forign man who have been doing business in egypt for 3 years before we got marry and have never rigester any of them pay tax or any thing only later after we got marred then we start to rigester the business becouse you are a forign so you must have big capital to dopisat in the bank account before own a business but if you go around it you can have an egyptian partner and her you go you can open the business and even get a loan from the bank and get from 5-10 free of tax if u open it in one of thos new cities. Egypt they have very felxable law and every thing can be done if you know how and when and how!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Raya4peace:
Can a foreign person invest in real estate or business in egypt?
Thanks for the help.
Raya

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penny
Member # 1925

Rate Member
quote:
Ifty, congratulations, you've just bought yourself some property. You see, i've wasted too much time on this, so to make a long story short my advice to you is to do the following:

3- pick one (or many for all I care) and ask them whether or not foreigners are allowed to own real estate property in Egypt and under what conditions.

Mirox you seem to be getting frustrated with people here because they are being told one thing by their lawyers and you are telling them what they have been told is wrong. If there is anyway you can direct us to an English version of the real Estate laws for forigners then people would have a starting point to challenge their lawyers quoting actual law and asking for an explanation as to why the lawyers are saying something different.

Help is really neede here if you are correct because a lot of people who belive they are acting in good faith are being lead astray. I am sure that is not what you want

ifty
Member # 7939

Rate Member
Hi Everyone ,

Justa quick one for all.

contacted Shahid Law in cairo via mirox web address www.martindale.com they have ok'd purchases by foreigners.

Ma Salaama

Tony
Member # 8400

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 21 | From: Nottingham,England | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Small
Member # 7071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr Small     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As we where buying our apartment the law changed and every one involved was very confused.As I now see it,all property can now only be bought on a lease hold basis,the lease running for 99 years.If at any time the property gets sold the lease is automatically extended back up to 99 years.We own the property,someone else(the government probably) owns the rights to the land it it built on.Lease hold is common in the UK and from thinking we where buying free hold to actually buying lease hold whilst being a bit of a shock is actually not much different.And as our estate agent said,it may well change back again for no reason.If anyone knows any different I would be pleased to hear.
Posts: 70 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Persik
Member # 8917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Persik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ifty:
Hi Everyone,

Just got back form Cairo tis morning and have purchased two apartments in rehab. I bought directly form rehab management and there are no laws which stipulate foreigners cannot buy or have more than one property, english contracts have been signed and confirmed. Although there is a disagreement in this thread i'm happy to put any questions on anyone's behalf to rehab management.
Ifty

Hi Ifty,

I would like to know what are the prices on property in Rehab now? By the way did you check again if it is 99 yrs lease or free hold?

Posts: 9 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lacalif
Member # 8463

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for lacalif     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a good website which lists Rehab property?

"I would like to know what are the prices on property in Rehab now? By the way did you check again if it is 99 yrs lease or free hold?"

Posts: 21 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Small
Member # 7071

Member Rated:
www.pioneerproperty.org is a big estate agents in Sharm.I should think that they know what they are on about.Have a look at the "buying process" section.And as for foreigners not allowed to buy,Rubbish.
Corvinous
Member # 6578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corvinous   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Nothing comes out of this link.

Posts: 3903 | From: The Moon | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com