EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptians Living Abroad » This is Serious!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This is Serious!
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is Serious! This incident happened recently in North Texas .
A woman went boating one Sunday taking with her some cans of coke which she put into the refrigerator of the boat. On Monday she was taken to the hospital and placed in the Intensive Care Unit. She died on Wednesday.

The autopsy concluded she died of Leptospirosis. This was traced to the can of coke she drank from, not using a glass Tests showed that the can was infected by dried rat urine and hence the disease Leptospirosis.

Rat urine contains toxic and deathly substances. It is highly recommended to thoroughly wash the upper part of all soda cans before drinking out of them. The cans are typically stocked in warehouses and transported straight to the shops without being cleaned.

A study at NYCU showed that the tops of all soda cans are more contaminated than public toilets (i.e.).. full of germs and bacteria. So wash them with water before putting them to the mouth to avoid any kind of fatal accident.
[Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ughhh poor woman
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valid point, Micky. Thanks for the warning.
Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theotherside
Member # 16468

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for theotherside     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FALSE! Micky please check the validity of your rumour-mongering stories BEFORE you post them and unnecessarily alarm people.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_leptospirosis_coke_can.htm

Comments: If you compare the two different variants above, one of which began circulating in 2002 and the other three years later in 2005 (with variants in between), you will find them identical except for the following features:

The first claims the woman became sick in Belgium, the second in North Texas.

The first refers to the disease as "Leptospirosis," the second calls it "Leptospirose."

The first claims a study in Spain showed that the tops of soda cans are "more contaminated than public toilets," the second says the study was done at "NYCU" (perhaps meaning NYU, or New York University).

Not to worry — neither version is true. Though rat urine certainly can transmit diseases that affect humans (if the rat itself is a carrier of said diseases), the urine itself is not inherently toxic or rife with "deathly substances."

There is no record in standard medical research databases of a study conducted at NYU, NYCU, or anywhere else comparing the cleanliness of soda cans with that of public toilets.

Soda cans are typically stored and shipped in shrink wrap or cardboard cases, so they're not necessarily the first place one should expect to encounter dried rat urine contamination.
Though relatively rare, leptospirosis is a real and potentially life-threatening disease which can be transmitted via rat urine and feces (or that of other animals). However, all of the cases reported in Texas over the past several years affected the canine population only.

This rumor is very similar to, and may have been inspired by, another text warning of deadly diseases transmitted via rat urine or droppings on soda cans which has circulated since 1999.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FALSE! Micky please check the validity of your rumour-mongering stories BEFORE you post them and unnecessarily alarm people.

hey dont get your panties all in a wod, it was friend who sent it to me in a email. with the warning , i just thought it was good enough to post, dont have time like you obviously to investagate, sorryyyyyyyyyyyy [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_
Member # 3567

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for _     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It does make sense not to drink from a can. I mean you wouldn't eat an apple either you haven't washed before, would you??

You can't be careful enough about cleaness and safety if you worship good health.

Posts: 30135 | From: The owner of this website killed ES....... | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tigerlily:
It does make sense not to drink from a can. I mean you wouldn't eat an apple either you haven't washed before, would you??

You can't be careful enough about cleaness and safety if you worship good health.

so true tigerlily [Wink]
theotherside
Member # 16468

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for theotherside     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dolphin redsea:
[QBhey dont get your panties all in a wod, it was friend who sent it to me in a email. with the warning , i just thought it was good enough to post, dont have time like you obviously to investagate, sorryyyyyyyyyyyy [Roll Eyes] [/QB]

It took only 20 seconds in a Google search. It is best to take a minute to confirm details instead of posting false rumours.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kalila : )
Member # 14517

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kalila : )         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmmmm ?
Posts: 3945 | From: ' Res Contr ' Amor non es guirens, lai on sos poders s'atura | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by theotherside:
quote:
Originally posted by dolphin redsea:
[QBhey dont get your panties all in a wod, it was friend who sent it to me in a email. with the warning , i just thought it was good enough to post, dont have time like you obviously to investagate, sorryyyyyyyyyyyy [Roll Eyes]

It took only 20 seconds in a Google search. It is best to take a minute to confirm details instead of posting false rumours. [/QB]
and takes 1 min to go to another thread, and mind ones own business [Big Grin] i got your point , just give it a rest [Mad]
theotherside
Member # 16468

Rate Member
No need to be rude. My request was posted with a PLEASE fact-check.
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
who was rude here first your quote:your rumour-mongering stories BEFORE you post them and unnecessarily alarm people.
rumour-mongering??????????????? [Roll Eyes]

bob the dog
Member # 4691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bob the dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe not true but a very valid point!!
Have you seen some of the stock rooms of shops (especially here in Egypt) where they keep soda cans? UGH!!!!!
Micky doesn't need to be flamed for this.... it's still a valid point!
BTW, who knows if the glasses are clean? the safest way to drink soda is through a straw out of a can.... it's what I always do here in Egypt!

Posts: 4238 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SherryBlueBerry
Member # 13867

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SherryBlueBerry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I never would accuse Micky as being a rumor monger...or anything of the sort.

I got the same email as she did and passed it to all my family and friends...because even it were not true..it was still a good enough example to make people think before they drink from an unwashed can!

I sit and wonder why it is that even a simple helpful post can cause someone to start on a tirade...sheesh.

Read it...if you don't like it...move on to something else.

Ok I've had my say for the month [Smile] )

Posts: 263 | From: Georgia USA | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tina m
Member # 13845

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tina m     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i buy my cans in 12 packs and even so i still wash them before i drink out of them.cas ya never know whos hands have touched them...or i drink it from a cup with ice.

--------------------
your ass is so tight when you fart only a dog can hear it.when you queef only a cat can hear that one.

Posts: 9776 | From: You like If only mosquitoes sucked fat instead of blood. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wash ALL cans (not just soda, but veggies, tuna and stuff too), before opening and pouring the contents into a glass/bowl/pan. [Big Grin]

You never know where the outside of those cans have been. Heck they could have been stacked in an open crate where a lazy dock worker decided to relieve his bladder.

Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
thankyou all .good valid points.or are you all rumor mongers too [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all wash your apples and even cans before you drink from them??? [Confused]
Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
of_gold
Member # 13418

Icon 1 posted      Profile for of_gold     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always wash the lids to my cans too FP. [Smile]

My Nanny did it and, taught me to do it. I don't remember my mother ever cooking from a can. [Wink] American grandmother, Italian mom.

--------------------
"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." (Sign hanging in Einstein's office at Princeton)
Leap and the Net will Appear.

Posts: 3891 | From: No good deed goes unpunished. | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I test it on a friend, if they survive I drink the rest.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ford Prefect (not perfect)
Member # 9338

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ford Prefect (not perfect)   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vader-:
I test it on a friend, if they survive I drink the rest.

LOL is your real name General Maximus Decimus Meridius? [Razz]
Posts: 409 | From: Betelgeuse | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vader-
Member # 14189

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vader-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish, that's one badass mofo.
Posts: 6335 | From: Straight to my heart. | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caterpilla
Member # 16147

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caterpilla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by desertgirl:
You all wash your apples and even cans before you drink from them??? [Confused]

No, I dont and I am still alive.
Posts: 431 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desertgirl
Member # 12450

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Desertgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*DG totally relaxed now * [Wink]
Posts: 2932 | From: Just now and then | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com