EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Egyptian Christianity?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Egyptian Christianity?
Rhi_Sarah
Member # 3510

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhi_Sarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it any-one elses opinion that Chrisianity is derived in some parts from Ancient Egypt? I, and many others I'm sure, have noticed startling similarities between;
*the birth of Jesus story and the birth of Horus.
*Mary and Jesus and Isis and Horus.
*The ankh and the cross.
*Akhenatens belief in the way the Aten worked and Christians belief in the way God works.

Posts: 117 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many proverbs in the Old Testament come from Egyptian widsom literature. Not to mention the concept of Judgement is similar to the concept in both the Torah and the Quran.

Ancient Egyptians believed your soul was judged by a tribunial of 12 deities of your earthly deeds. If you heart failed to measure up then you died the second death or even perished in an fiery eternity. The passing of Egyptians was a place called the Field of Reeds which was idenitical to your earthly existence except here you lived for enternity. Sounds similar,huh?

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhi_Sarah
Member # 3510

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhi_Sarah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definately. I'm sure that Christianity is just a branch of the Ancient Egyptian religion. If a distant branch!
Posts: 117 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lazar
Member # 10869

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lazar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptian Christianity is called "Coptic"
Posts: 80 | From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
multisphinx
Member # 3595

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for multisphinx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was ethipia and egypt the only two african civilizaions that were christian?
Posts: 671 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rameses the Grea
Member # 11412

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rameses the Grea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Christianity started in Alexandria, Egypt fairly quickly. The new religion was not fought like some may think. Anything that was 'blasphemy' was killed by the Christians. Places like Rome and Greece did not accept Christianity as easily. Maybe there is a reason, fascinating stuff.

I've heard the heart is weighed on a scale and if it is light enough like a feather then you can enter the ancient Egyptian heaven. Of course it is not judgement like many believe in Christianity but it does have something to do with behaviour.

Also, the Egyptian mythology was based on polytheistic beliefs and we all know Christianity is monotheistic. I have to admit though the ankh bears a striking resemblence to the cross.

Perhaps we can make a list of similarities and differences?

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mike rozier
Member # 10852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mike rozier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
about as much as I beleive in african vikings...

--------------------
The ground at Calvary's Cross is level

Posts: 1172 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by multisphinx:
Was ethipia and egypt the only two african civilizaions that were christian?

And the Nubian states of the 6th century - Makuria, Alodia, and Nobatia.
Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that Egyptians have syncretised their Christian beliefs upon their own indigenous beliefs similar to how West Africans and those of West African descent have adapted Christian belief to their own traditional beliefs to create Voodoo.

For example, many gods in West African religion became "saints" in Vodun with festivals to commemorate these saints. Rituals like magic and zar are still practiced.

From what I hear it is the same with some Egyptian Copts.

Posts: 26267 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com