EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Hollywood Egyptian - The Struggle Continues... (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Hollywood Egyptian - The Struggle Continues...
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb:
[B]Its not running away my friend. Its a refusal to have a concersation of a particular level.

Evidently the level in question would be one in which you would actually answer questions and address issues. In short, a coherent level.

quote:
Ausar presents all of his views in an academic manner.

The tactic of praising Ausar is another form of deflection. He also asked you a question which you have not answered. Praising him, and thereby hoping to "throw the dogs off the hunt", is a fairly crude maneuver. But, this seems to be at the "level" which you prefer.

quote:
He gets a little frustrated at times as we all do

I've never known him to get frustrated.
No offense, but here is the truth. YOU ARE FRUSTRATED. The theme of this particular conversation which you started (with your comments on Thutmosis) is basically how frustrated you are with "Afrocentrism."
Perhaps someone else is fooled by your attempt to project that frustation on to Ausar. But I doubt it. Some pretty smart folks on this forum.

quote:
I may not agree with everything he says but his posts are thought provoking, they cause you to examine your position.

You should think about what Keita, and Herodutus are saying as well....they're also good for that.

quote:

The problem with having dialogue with Afrocentrists is that, like all extremists they want to deal in emotional terms. Emotion is very powerful but it destroys academic discourse.

So does denial, such as denying how frustrated you are by the facts...and refusing to discuss them, because "other folks", are too emotional.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lets keep in mind that there are only three races in the world today, Caucasian, negroid and mongoloid. That said, all Caucasians do not look like they grew up in Norway. Example, Anwar Sadat would be classified as caucasian even though he has very dark skin. Caucasians in India are obviously darker than germans but they sprang from the same population pool in central asia.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of what you said rasol is just nonsense. We have a terrible problem with Afrocentricism in the United States. It is so political that it closes the door to any serious discourse. We established many programs in the 70's and 80's aiming at diversity and we ended up with the silly black political views as a substitute for scholarship. Many of us are making efforts to get the programs curtailed at our schools. Many once supportive faculty members now see these programs as unhelpful in our efforts to broaden the intellectual base of our schools. In other words, if you want to play that game I will not be included. Anyone who says that there is some sort of European effort to distort the heritage of the black man is worse than a fool.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
lets keep in mind that there are only three races in the world today, Caucasian, negroid and mongoloid. That said, all Caucasians do not look like they grew up in Norway. Example, Anwar Sadat would be classified as caucasian even though he has very dark skin. Caucasians in India are obviously darker than germans but they sprang from the same population pool in central asia.

wrong.racist scholars would say that.
there are other races too.
sadat is a black man and i do not care what some folks think.most folks in india are of the brown race or mixed race and others are black.

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

wrong.racist scholars would say that.
there are other races too.
sadat is a black man and i do not care what some folks think.most folks in india are of the brown race or mixed race and others are black.

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[B]lets keep in mind that there are only three races in the world today, Caucasian, negroid and mongoloid.

That is the outdated Aryan race model yes.
Good luck finding modern scientists (geneticists, biologists, anthropologists) who still insist upon it. Many will say that race is a more of a social construct that a biological reality. SOY Keita and Kittles, as well as the reknowned Stephen Jay Gould are among those who appear to share this view.
Read: The Mismeasure of Man. (Gould)

quote:
That said, all Caucasians do not look like they grew up in Norway.

Yes...here is my view of Caucasoid.
It is a scam. There is no such thing. It is a European Ideological concept (like, say... Communism) invented specifically by Johann Friedrich Blumenbach in 1795.

I started a thread a while back, deconstructing this nonsense in depth so I won't rehash.

But the reason we are discussing the term now (like it or not), is because it has specific political use for Europe.

It allows European people to appropriate non European history, culture and identity.

As we speak, there is a theory for the caucasiod origins of:
Egypt, Nubia, Mesopotamia, India, China, Japan, Polynesia and MesoAmerica, and natch...Greece, Rome, etc.
The science...is non existent. The politics are the only thing real about it.

If you read the article on Keita and Brace (the book by Gould too) you would understand precisely how this absudity is promulgated.
If you "dismiss" them. Then you will never learn. The choice is yours.

quote:
Anwar Sadat would be classified as caucasian even though he has very dark skin.
http://www.cnn.com/US/9707/16/racial.suit/

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Most of what you said rasol is just nonsense. We have a terrible problem with Afrocentricism in the United States. It is so political that it closes the door to any serious discourse.

So tell me, which part was nonsense.

* The part where I said you were frustrated over Afrocentrism?

* The part where I suggested you were deluding yourself in thinking you could arrogantly "dismiss" their views?

Pehaps it's just me, but you seem to be working very hard to validate my "nonsense".

Makes my job easy, thanks.

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 20 August 2004).]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horemheb,most dark skinned Upper Egyptians have different cranimetric traits than people in India. Saying Anwar Sadat would be considered caucasoid is foolish considering his mother was a black Sudanese woman. He had kinky hair which is not a trait you will find on caucasoids.

Eurocentrics have bent and twisted the caucasoid label to include everything from Aboriginee,Papua new Guineans,Hottentots[Yes at one time they were called Mediterranean],Somalis,Eastern Africans, early Kenyans,Inuit[Yes I am not making this up].

What exactly defines a caucasian? We know Negriod people have certain features such as protagnism which is apparent in Egyptians[Yes,even the lighter Lower Egyptians sometimes have it],but it's non conclusive to prove ancesty.

See the following Forensic evidence on Upper Egyptians:

"While the Upper Nile Egyptians show phenotypic features that
occur in higher frequencies in the Sudan and southward into
East Africa (namely, facial prognathism, chamaerrhiny, and
paedomorphic cranial architecture with specific modifications
of the nasal aperature), these so-called Negroid features are
not universal in the region of Thebes, Karnak, and Luxor."

(Kennedy, Kenneth A.R., T. Plummer, J. Chinment, "Identification of
the Eminent Dead: Pepi, A Scribe of Egypt," In Katherine J. Reichs
(ed.), _Forensic Osteology_, 1986. )

[This message has been edited by ausar (edited 20 August 2004).]

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

"Anwar Sadat would be classified as caucasian even though he has very dark skin" is at the height of bad science. When has anybody with black ancestory, a black mother in this case, been considered Caucasian? It is funny how folks like you, strictly follow the "one drop" rule in America to mean only "pure blooded" white folks should be white, while you reverse the rule in other countries like Egypt to mean one drop of any foreign blood (yes even of non-white folks) to mean "Caucasian". BTW what is your definition of a black person, besides the dark skin color? Does this exclude folks with light skin tone, thin high-bridged nose, thin lips, curly hair, or long face? Now we will truly find out the level of your education, or perhaps the level of your ignorance!

Egyptians, regardless of modification of their outward appearances due to foreign influences throughout the ages, are for the most part still biologically, culturally and geographically African. As such, you can't separate them from other Africans. I dare you to challenge this fact!

To say that Egyptian society is non-black due to foreign migrations, is simply a weak distraction from the fact that this has no bearing on the Black African origins and development of the Egyptian civilization.

One more thing: Labeling opponents "Afrocentrics", as a way to avoid the issues at hand, won't fly in public and scholarly debates!

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 20 August 2004).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Lets then speak in generalities Ausar. Race is not neccessairly determined by complection, you know that. A person can be black as the ace of spades and still be caucasian. Caucasians have a wide range of complections from blonde nordic to so black they would be hard to distinguish from a negroid person. Of the three basic races caucasians may be more diverse than the other two in terms of complection.
The mainline perception of ancient egyptians is that the majority of complections were redish tan. sine you and I have started these conversations I have had informal conversations on the subject with one ancient and one medieval historian and one anthropologist on the subject and they all give me the same answer. Obviously the consultants of the educational TV production companies, who are Egyptologists think so as well. Dr Hawass thinks so....just too much fire power to ignore.
I do agree that it is a complicated subject but these decendants of west African blacks here in America have zero connection to AE.

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Originally posted by Horemheb: Of the three basic races caucasians may be more diverse than the other two in terms of complection.

Exactly the opposite is true.
Skin color is the consequence of the ability of the body to produce the protein "melanin" particularly in response to stimulation from the sun. Africans have maximal ability to do this. It's why they have more color than Europeans. It's also why they vary in color more than Europeans.

Only pale nordic blue eyed blondes (who cannot tan, who instead turn red as their skin is damaged by sunlight) are lacking in this capability. Their condition is by definition similar to that of Albinos, and for similar genetic reasons as well.

Therefore Africans have the greatest inherent potential for skin color variation.
Europeans have the least.
Now...you can lump European peoples together with native Australians, Indians, North Africans, and call it "caucasoid" so DISGUISING the facts.

Oh, wait, caucasian ideologists already do that. Nevermind.

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 20 August 2004).]

kifaru
Member # 4698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kifaru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horemheb, You didn't answer the questions I asked you. I'm certainly not trying to pile on but you seem to have problems with the questionas I have. I personally find many afrocentrics argumnets to be overly emotional so in this we are in agreement so I will restate my questions
quote:
[/B]
http://www.homestead.com/wysinger/tuthmosisIII.html

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 19 August 2004).][/B]

This is referring the above url
Assuming by the use of different colors on the Kings neckpiece, the AE's were not color blind and were able to distinguish different shades oof colors. That being said the King appears to be a very dark skinned man. My question would be to Horemheb: why is this? Is this not Thutmosis and does his depicted skin color give us any idea to his ethnic status?

quote:
Was AE a black African society...no.

Well how about an African one? If not that then what is your theory as to the origins of the dark coloured people depicted in much of the art as royalty. Are these foreiners or is this a stylized representation of the people?

Posts: 167 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supercar
unregistered

quote:
Obviously the consultants of the educational TV production companies, who are Egyptologists think so as well. Dr Hawass thinks so....just too much fire power to ignore.
I do agree that it is a complicated subject but these decendants of west African blacks here in America have zero connection to AE.

Mr. Hawass is no bio-anthropologist, and anyone who takes his "stories" of biology as pure fact, is deluding him/herself!
Keita, Kittles, Diop and many other bio-anthropologists, have proven that Africans are the most biologically diverse groups in the entire globe. Ancient Egyptians have more connections with West Africans than any White American. Indeed the first Egyptians came from the Proto-Saharan region; the same region where the ancestors of West Africans came from. Indeed, the only connection the Egyptians have ever had with Europeans (Southern Europeans) was through conquest and foreign influx after Egypto-Greek contact. Thus Egypt was a mature civilization by the time they came into contact with Europeans!

This subject isn't really complicated. It only becomes complicated when you tried to separate Egyptians from other Africans. To call Egyptians Caucasians, you would have to ignore the fact that they came from interior of Africa , and were tropically adapted (physically and genetically) like other Africans of the tropics. For instance, you would have to also ignore the presence of certain cells (sickle cells)unique to continent, which Europeans and so-called Caucasian groups don't exhibit! Study of Haplotypes also tie Egyptians, particularly Upper Egyptians, more to Sub-Saharan Africans than to Europeans; you would have to ignore this too. So you would have to ignore topography, genetic history, and culture to dissociate Egyptians from other Africans. Good luck in doing so, but I doubt you will prevail in any public debate, here or elsewhere!

[This message has been edited by supercar (edited 20 August 2004).]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Lets then speak in generalities Ausar. Race is not neccessairly determined by complection, you know that. A person can be black as the ace of spades and still be caucasian. Caucasians have a wide range of complections from blonde nordic to so black they would be hard to distinguish from a negroid person]

Caucasian is political jargon that not many people use in the scientific community. You totally ignored my forensic evidence I presented in the previous post that said modern day Upper Egyptians are Luxor had prognathism. I pointed out the so-called people you consider caucasoid have non-caucasoid cranialmetric traits. I am not using pigmentation as my criteria.

There are negriod people such as the Fulani in Nigeria and other regions who have skin tones that are light brown. Sub-Saharan Africans actually have the most color variation of all people when comparied.

[ . Of the three basic races caucasians may be more diverse than the other two in terms of complection]

This is non-sense that comes from the old methdology of dividing people into sub-races. Not even Western or Central Africans are jet black,but there are variations in color within mongolids and Negriod. Lots of Japanese people actually have whiter skin than the average white person.

See the following:

1: Hum Biol. 2000 Oct;72(5):773-80. Related Articles, Links

Human skin color diversity is highest in sub-Saharan African populations.

Relethford JH.

Department of Anthropology, State University of New York College at Oneonta, 13820, USA.

Previous studies of genetic and craniometric traits have found higher levels of within-population diversity in sub-Saharan Africa compared to other geographic regions. This study examines regional differences in within-population diversity of human skin color. Published data on skin reflectance were collected for 98 male samples from eight geographic regions: sub-Saharan Africa, North Africa, Europe, West Asia, Southwest Asia, South Asia, Australasia, and the New World. Regional differences in local within-population diversity were examined using two measures of variability: the sample variance and the sample coefficient of variation. For both measures, the average level of within-population diversity is higher in sub-Saharan Africa than in other geographic regions. This difference persists even after adjusting for a correlation between within-population diversity and distance from the equator. Though affected by natural selection, skin color variation shows the same pattern of higher African diversity as found with other traits.

PMID: 11126724 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt =Abstract&list_uids=11126724

What determines race to physical anthropologist is cranialmetric traits. Most of the cranialmetric traits amungst modern and ancient Egyptians vary but many in Upper Egypt have prognathism which is a negriod trait. m

See the following:

"While the Upper Nile Egyptians show phenotypic features that
occur in higher frequencies in the Sudan and southward into
East Africa (namely, facial prognathism, chamaerrhiny, and
paedomorphic cranial architecture with specific modifications
of the nasal aperature), these so-called Negroid features are
not universal in the region of Thebes, Karnak, and Luxor."

(Kennedy, Kenneth A.R., T. Plummer, J. Chinment, "Identification of
the Eminent Dead: Pepi, A Scribe of Egypt," In Katherine J. Reichs
(ed.), _Forensic Osteology_, 1986. )

[The mainline perception of ancient egyptians is that the majority of complections were redish tan. ]

The reddish tone on tombs are symbolic. The majority of the population in Dyanstic Egypt was around modern day Luxor-Aswan,which are even to this day dark brown to black. The Delta population was light brown to even Mediterranean in apperance.

see the following:

Old Kingdom to Amarna: The Changing Use of Color as Gender Indicator in Egyptian Art

Mary Ann Eaverly, PhD

Classics Department

P.O. Box 117435

University of Florida

Gainesville, FL 32611-7435

Eaverly@classics.ufl.edu

Even casual observers of Egyptian art have commented upon the radical departure from traditional figural style found in the sculpture of the New Kingdom 'heretic' pharaoh Akhenaten (1353-1335 BCE). For example, figures are shown with elongated crania, spindly calves and broad thighs. However, little or no attention has been paid to a shift in the depiction of flesh tones during this period. While standard Egyptian practice for millennia was to show women as light-skinned (yellow, cream or white) and men as dark-skinned (reddish brown or dark brown) Akhenaten's art (called Amarna after the major site) represents a change. Elite women including Nefertiti, the pharaoh's wife, and their daughters are often shown with reddish brown or dark brown skin. This paper will examine the significance of this change as an indicator of the status of royal women in Amarna Period Egypt and place this color convention reversal within the framework of previous Old and New Kingdom depictions of women

http://www2.nau.edu/gender2000/abstracts/eaverly.htm

[......The choice of the single red-brown color to represent The
Egyptian man,rather than a more realistic range of shades ,should
also considered within a wider symbolic scheme that included the
representations of foreginers. The foreigne men to the north and west
of Egypt were depicted by yellow skin[similar to that odf traditional
Egyptian women]; men to the south of Egypt were given black skin.
Although undoubtedly some Egyptians' skin pigmentation differed
little from that of Egypt's neighboors,in the Egyptian worldview
foreigners had to be distinguished . Thus Egyptian men had to be
marked by a common skin color that contrasted with the images of non-
Egyptian men. That the Egyptian women shared their skin color with
some foreign men scarcely mattered,since the Egyptian male is primary
and formed the reference point in these two color scemes---
contrasting in one with non-Egyptian males and in the other with
Egyptian females. Within the scheme of Egyptian/non-Egyptian skin
color,black was not desirable for ordinary humans ,because it marked
out figures as foreign ,as enemies of Egypt,and ultimatley as
represenatives of chaos;black thereby contrasted with its positive
meaning elsewhere. This example helps demostrate the importance of
context for reading color symbolism.........]

[......Thus,the gender distinctionencoded for human figures was
transferred at times to the divie world. The symbolisminherant in the
skin colors used for some deities and royal figures sugest that the
colors given to human skin---although initiallyseeming to be
naturalistic -----might also be symbolic. Male and female skin colors
were probabaly not uniform among the entire population of Egypt,with
pigmentation being darker in the south[closer to sub-sahara Africans]
and lighter in the north[closer to Mediterranean Near Easteners] A
woman from the south would probabaly have had darker skin than a man
from the North. Thus,the colorations used for skin tones in the art
must have been schematic [or symbolic] rather than realistic;the
clear gender distinction encoded in that scheme may have been based
on elite ideals relating to male and female roles,in which women's
responsibilities kept them indoors,so that they spent less time in
the sun than men.Nevertheless, the signifcance of the two colors may
be even deeper,making some as yet unknown but fundamental difference
between men and women in Egyptian worldview............]

The Ancient God Speak by Donald Redford

A Guide to Egyptian Religion

Page 57-61 Color Symbolism

Gay Robins

[sine you and I have started these conversations I have had informal conversations on the subject with one ancient and one medieval historian and one anthropologist on the subject and they all give me the same answer]

non-sequitir. Show me where I can read their work in peer reviwed journals. Last time we discussed this you said that the anthropologist expert said that Upper Egyptian remains were negriod.

[. Obviously the consultants of the educational TV production companies, who are Egyptologists think so as well. Dr Hawass thinks so....just too much fire power to ignore.]

Dr. Hawass believes Dark skinned Upper Egyptians are direct desendants of the ancient Egyptians. He said it himself in a PBS interview. Hawass overeacted out of fear that people were stealing the culture of the ancient Egyptians from modern Egyptians.

See the following:

NOVA: Do most Egyptians today feel an ancestral link to the ancient Egyptians?

Hawass: Of course, because we are the descendants of the pharaohs. If you look at the faces of the people of Upper Egypt, the relationship between modern and ancient Egypt is very clear. Habits in the villages, our celebrations when we finish a project, are similar to what they had in ancient Egypt. After someone dies, we make a celebration after 40 days, just like the ancient Egyptians did during the mummification process. Everything in our lives is like ancient Egypt.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/pyramid/excavation/hawass.html

[I do agree that it is a complicated subject but these decendants of west African blacks here in America have zero connection to AE.]

But....neither do you,or white supremist who claim the ancient Egyptians were Nordics. I am an Upper Egyptian from Aswan living in America. It's my heritage and ancestry.

[This message has been edited by ausar (edited 21 August 2004).]

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ge Ge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mmm I thought I was coming into a debate about Hollywood...The ten Commandments...The Passion of Christ...Omar Sherife.....Shrek 2......How did you come from that to the different tones of black and white.I thought the ten Commandments was a great film in its time and remember it was made for Americans who only have one point of view, their own.As for the Passion I though it was more about Mel Gibson shocking the audience than a story of the crucifixtion.I agree that Arabs should play the part of Arabs the stories would be far more believable.But then we only believe what we want to anyway dont we.The cinema is entertainment and just like newspaper reporting the truth is usually twisted to make it more interesting and readable/watchable.After all people do not like happy ever after stories do they?
Posts: 343 | From: Wiltshire, England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
But....neither do you,or white supremist who claim the ancient Egyptians were Nordics. I am an Upper Egyptian from Aswan living in America. It's my heritage and ancestry

One of the most amusing examples of the root audacity of Pan European Egyptology is their indignance at West Africans (like Diop) and the ever hated "diasporans" for meddling in "their" turf. Further, the hatred of African Americans is self interested, as they, relative to most African peoples have the time/money/interest/education, in short... the WEAPONS, to challenge the incestuous/warped/inbred European monopoly of African history.

They are a direct threat. Hence the plaintiff plea: Go away, you negroes!

But such arrogance is weakness. It causes you to base your thesis on provably false arguments which are "assumed" to be self evident truths. A fallacy you maintain by "dismissing" information to the contrary. That was Horemheb's mistake in this thread.

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 21 August 2004).]

supercar
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Ge Ge:
Mmm I thought I was coming into a debate about Hollywood...The ten Commandments...The Passion of Christ...Omar Sherife.....Shrek 2......How did you come from that to the different tones of black and white.I thought the ten Commandments was a great film in its time and remember it was made for Americans who only have one point of view, their own.As for the Passion I though it was more about Mel Gibson shocking the audience than a story of the crucifixtion.I agree that Arabs should play the part of Arabs the stories would be far more believable.But then we only believe what we want to anyway dont we.The cinema is entertainment and just like newspaper reporting the truth is usually twisted to make it more interesting and readable/watchable.After all people do not like happy ever after stories do they?

I don't know what you meant by Arabs playing the part of Arabs, but I hope you are fully aware that Ancient Egyptians were not "Arabs"! Once again, Egyptian civilization had already reached its peak by the time the language now known as "Arabic" came into being.

Keino
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by rasol:
One of the most amusing examples of the root audacity of Pan European Egyptology is their indignance at West Africans (like Diop) and the ever hated "diasporans" for meddling in "their" turf. Further, the hatred of African Americans is self interested, as they, relative to most African peoples have the time/money/interest/education, in short... the WEAPONS, to challenge the incestuous/warped/inbred European monopoly of African history.

They are a direct threat. Hence the plaintiff plea: Go away, you negroes!

But such arrogance is weakness. It causes you to base your thesis on provably false arguments which are "assumed" to be self evident truths. A fallacy you maintain by "dismissing" information to the contrary. That was Horemheb's mistake in this thread.

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 21 August 2004).]

Well said! The Black american is the greatest threat to many lies about african peoples! Keep fighting the lies!

Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ge Ge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptians are not Arabs?Oh that explains why my egyptian friend calls anyone from Saudi Arab.I thought that countries as far west as Libia and as far east as Iran were Arab countries.So are Tunisians arab are Iranians arab.I am british,I am also english,I am also european and I am white.So what am I.Does an egyptian man not like to be termed and Arab?
Posts: 343 | From: Wiltshire, England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Originally posted by Ge Ge:
Egyptians are not Arabs?Oh that explains why my egyptian friend calls anyone from Saudi Arab.I thought that countries as far west as Libia and as far east as Iran were Arab countries.So are Tunisians arab are Iranians arab.I am british,I am also english,I am also european and I am white.So what am I.Does an egyptian man not like to be termed and Arab?

So as not to rehash,here is a thread discussing this issue: http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/000781.html

ps - few things make Iranians Angrier than calling them Arabs. Even linguistically the offical language is Farsi. All the countries you mentioned have many people who
are not Arab. It is a common, though understandable mistake to call them all Arabs.

Ge Ge
Member # 3868

Rate Member
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Ge Ge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So as not to rehash,here is a thread discussing this issue: http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/000781.html

ps - few things make Iranians Angrier than calling them Arabs. Even linguistically the offical language is Farsi. All the countries you mentioned have many people who
are not Arab. It is a common, though understandable mistake to call them all Arabs.

sorry.I will try to do better next time.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Kifaru..sorry I did anot resopond to your questions last week. I left town for rhe weekend and just got back. In terms of the picture of Thutmisis III...as you know that is not by any means the only picture out there. The most common bust and picture shows him looking quite different...thpical 18th dyansty acquline nose, almost semetic/jewish looking. If you have seen his mummy in the Cairo museum you know that he almost looks semetic, though I don't think he is.
AE's were reddish tan, except for Nubians . As you know they often protrayed men as darker and women as lighter...eg..Norfret and Rahotep. That would all be unneccessary if they were black. Further, The Norfret & Rahotep figures give you a great idea of what AE's looked like.

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
In terms of the picture of Thutmisis III...as you know that is not by any means the only picture out there.

Of course, but that STILL does not answer the question.

quote:
The most common bust and picture shows him looking quite different...thpical 18th dyansty acquline nose, almost semetic/jewish looking.

Most common displayed does not equate to most accurate. And, acquline nose is not the same as semetic nose, so you are just throwing out terms at near-random in order to deny the obvious.

Anway, here are some pictures of Kemetic royalty that might be less "common", at least to your eyes. http://www.geocities.com/vandeelen/Afrocentric/people.htm

quote:
If you have seen his mummy in the Cairo museum you know that he almost looks semetic, though I don't think he is.

You can't tell ethnicity by looking at a mummy.
Reconstruction of the appearance of a rather famous 18th Dynasty King based on his mummy: http://dsc.discovery.com/anthology/unsolvedhistory/kingtut/face/face.html

quote:
As you know they often protrayed men as darker and women as lighter...eg..Norfret and Rahotep. That would all be unneccessary if they were black.

There are many traditions of art that often portray men as darker and women as lighter. Including African, Asian and European. So that proves nothing.

Artemi
Member # 3176

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anway, here are some pictures of Kemetic royalty that might be less "common", at least to your eyes. http://www.geocities.com/vandeelen/Afrocentric/people.htm

BTW, there is a glaring mistake on this site.

This is described as "Head of the god Amon, 18th dynasty, around 1355, made out of quartzite."
It is actually a depiction of one of the Amarna princesses.

[This message has been edited by Artemi (edited 23 August 2004).]

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Originally posted by Artemi:
[B]
BTW, there is a glaring mistake on this site.

Thanks. (not my website btw, so I can't change it)

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Rasol...for every picture you post like these there are five that are different. One of the frauds used by Afrocentricism is that they show the pictures that help their anti white andi western political cause and do not show the rest. They also assert something is a fact because it might be remotely possible...faulty logic. There are some very fradulant people pushing these myths, people like Jochannan and others who are, in the end, not helpinh black people, not helping Africa and not adding to the body of historical knowledge. This is not about Egypt, its about a black inferiority complex that we need to put behind us.
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Rasol...for every picture you post like these there are five that are different.

You are stating the obvious here.

quote:
One of the frauds used by Afrocentricism is that they show the pictures that help their anti white andi western political cause and do not show the rest.

Even if that accusation were true, it does not define fraud.

An example of fraud would be altering/creating or defacing pictures to change their appearance, and ironically the very Nofret statue that you mentioned is sometimes sited as such a possible fraud: http://www.raceandhistory.com/manu/book.htm

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 23 August 2004).]

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Rasol...The Afrocentrics have no chance of pulling this off. The backlash has already begun in our universities. I think there is a much deeper meaning to all this and it is inherent in modern black culture. It is not the fault of Euro-Americans that from Greece to now (with one period of stagnation)that they were the driving force in creating modern civilization. Nor is it the fault of the third world nations and what we call minority groups that they were not.
When you get right down to it, nobody likes the big guy, be it Greece, Rome, the British or Americans in turn. All of this phoney academics is feuled by the desire of some groups to take their place in the spotlight. What they don't see is that this new world created by the west gives them the opportunity to join and become leaders, if they wish. They fail to see that they don't have to create an alternative history to be legit. The system that is emerging has an important and vital place for them if they choose to take it, if not they will have to sink further into bitterness and resentment and be left behind.

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
They also assert something is a fact because it might be remotely possible...faulty logic.

That's exactly what you did here:

quote:
The king was protrayed as 'non negroid'....because those were the facts.

And actually that is the false statement which began our conversation.

You will be more effective in these discussions when (if ever) you learn to recognize your own faulty logic.

Forgive us if we don't hold our breath waiting for that day.

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Rasol...The Afrocentrics have no chance of pulling this off. The backlash has already begun in our universities.

I hope the backlash involves more than the brand of empty rhetoric, and ad hominem generalisations which have characterised your debate here from the start. After several days and many posts...You have yet to even answer the first questions asked of you. Not good.

quote:
I think there is a much deeper meaning to all this and it is inherent in modern black culture.

And what might that be? Do tell, and I'm sure you will since you are obviously less interested in illuminating truth than you are in venting your frustations.

quote:
It is not the fault of Euro-Americans that from Greece to now (with one period of stagnation)that they were the driving force in creating modern civilization.

Now you are reciting silly white race myths again. Let us together read from Martin Bernal (Black Athena). Don't be afraid.

I will hold your hand and walk you out of self imposed darkness of your Eurocentric closet and into the bright light of day:

This shift of emphasis away from the Ancient Model - of Greece - which stated that since at least the 5th century BC, Greeks and others believed that people from Egypt, Phoenicians and other Asiatics came to Greece, built cities, established royal dynasties and introduced religion and the mysteries. Later, Greeks studied in Egypt and, to a lesser extent, the Orient importing philosophy, mathematics and science....
a drastic departure followed after 1820, in which the modern discipline of Classics was formed. In this period, young scholars dismissed the "Ancient Model" and denied the ancient traditions of massive Greek cultural borrowings from Egypt. Their dismissal was not the result of the decipherment of hieroglyphics, nor did it come from archaeological excavations of Bronze Age Greece, which were not carried out until the 1870s. The Ancient Model was dismissed for ideological reasons. It was not seemly for Greece, now seen as the cradle of Europe, to have been civilized by Africans and Asians, who were known according to the new "racial science" to be categorically inferior. In the 1840s, a new "Aryan Model" arose...

Horemheb, you were asked earlier to dispute Keita, Kittles and Herodutus and could not.

Now, we ask...can you dispute Martin Bernal?

According you him...it is you who practise a revisionist history based on a racialist pseudo-science, in which empty grandstanding (ie - Greek Miracle), is meant to bolster your racial self esteem.

It's obvious that your anger and venting about "afrocentrics" stems from the fact that the lie of Greek, and by implication "white" historical supremacy, has been exposed as just that. A lie.

Homremheb: If you ever convince, anyone, anyone at all, of the validity of the Aryan model of history, please let me know. I think you actually make Bernal's (anti-Eurocentric) argument....simply by virtue of your inability to make your own.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
there is a lot of good historical fiction out there Rasol, Martin Bernal falls into that catagory. I'll defer to Mary Lefkowiz on that, we have both seen her research on the subject. The subject is not really debatable because the Africanists don't have a side. You have to have two sides to have a debate. Bernal is a political scientist...doesn't that tell you all you need to know. He doesn't care about history, he cares abount dealing with the black inferiority complex. The sad part is that these guys are wasting your time with this nonsense. You could use all that energy to make even more money for yourself or your family or gain some legitimate knowledge.
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
[B]there is a lot of good historical fiction out there Rasol, Martin Bernal falls into that catagory. I'll defer to Mary Lefkowiz on that.

Lol. I wonder if you are familiar with the work of either. As wrong as she is about many things.....here is a quote from the person you say you defer to on the origins of the Kemetians:
Recent work on skeletons and DNA suggests that the people who settled in the Nile valley, , came from somewhere south of the Sahara; they were not (as some nineteenth-century scholars had supposed) invaders from the North

Even the person you defer to contradicts your views. Now what?

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
In the first place I never said there was no black influence in Egypt. Recall that early on I stated that I agreed wit Ausar on many important points and that I felt that many of you were going too far with this africanists propaganda. Geopolitiaclly, AE is a West Asian civilization, there is no question about that. Even her trace and foreign policy back that up. Further, studying the migrations of people is always complicated. Let me repeat what I said earlier...was AE influence by Africa, naturally. The US is influenced by Mexico. Was it a black African society...no, Mary did not say that.
As for Rahotep and his wife, if they were black every Africanists around would be thouting how genuine they were. You have to attack them, you have no choice because it blows the whole theory out the window....where it should be.

kifaru
Member # 4698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kifaru     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Recent work on skeletons and DNA suggests that the people who settled in the Nile valley, , came from somewhere south of the Sahara; they were not (as some nineteenth-century scholars had supposed) invaders from the North

Rasol, is this a quote from Lefkowitz? Where did you find it? I'd like to read the article in it's entirety.

Horemheb, back to my question. What is your view of where the AE civilization originated? Is it a civilization of indigineous african origin or not (I'm not talking race just from whence did the AE's come). Secondly what do think is the of the darkskinned man in the picture Rasol cited.
Is this a picture of Thutmosis and if so is this a stylized or accurate depiction?

I'm somewhat curious as to what in fact is the reason for the varying interpretations of the ethnicities of iconography. It appears to me many of the pictures Afrocentrists and Eurocentrists use tend to be from different periods of time. For instance do you believe that it is possible that we may have a replacement scenario going on in AE at some point where one ethnicity adopts the regalia of another after the primary cluture is destroyed. In the U.S. where native americans are effectively extinct as viable "pure" group many Americans adopt their customs.

Assuming that AE is neither African or Negroid do you think that the the AE's in their interaction with their neighbors may have hybridized at any point? It appears that Queen Tiye had very pronounced negroid features up to and including what appears to be an "afro" hairstyle. So do you believe this is uncommon or just an extreme point the continuum of European features present in AE and if so how do we distinguish the AE's from European looking Africans?

Posts: 167 | From: usa | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Well, Queen Tiye was not negroid, that is sure. her father was asian so at best she is half, possibly not even that. That most dominant Egyptians were of the Rahotep model is clear to most, reddish tan in complection. You pose some interesting questions and I think in 15 or 20 years we will have the answers. I teach a class on the American civil war. It happened only 135 years ago and we don't yet have all the answers on something that recent. Trying to understand what went on 5000 years ago is ten fold more difficult. i think we should be more patient and we may come up with answers that are totally different from where we are now.
All that said, if I were an Africanist I would concentrate more on Nubia. For one thing there are opportunities in that study, its African blackness cannot be questioned and its a very interesting place.

blackman
Member # 1807

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kifaru:

Horemheb, back to my question. What is your view of where the AE civilization originated? Is it a civilization of indigineous african origin or not (I'm not talking race just from whence did the AE's come). Secondly what do think is the of the darkskinned man in the picture Rasol cited.
Is this a picture of Thutmosis and if so is this a stylized or accurate depiction?

kifaru,
Horemheb answered you by not answering. Horemheb won't answer as he has always done in the past with no data. Horemheb has stated the AE were a west asian people with no data.
Just enjoy Horemheb. Don't take him serious and you will have fun.

Posts: 342 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
In the first place I never said there was no black influence in Egypt.
Nor were you accused of saying so. As always, you are not answering any question or addressing any relevant issue. And, as always...because, you can't.

quote:
Recall that early on I stated that I agreed wit Ausar on many important points and that I felt that many of you were going too far with this africanists propaganda.
Ausar was specific. You weren't, and still aren't. The only propaganda in this conversation is the statements you made and have not been able to support. Because you can't.

quote:
Geopolitiaclly, AE is a West Asian civilization, there is no question about that.
There is no question but that- that is the most LAUGHABLE thing you've said so far.

quote:
Even her trace and foreign policy back that up.
??More chuckles for us. Your incoherent thoughts result in incoherent sentences.

quote:
Was it a black African society...no, Mary did not say that.
Now we cut to some substance, at last. She admitted that Kemet's population was from
"south of the Sahara", contradicting your statement thea AE are descendant of "Europeans." She made the contradiction of your fantasy clear with the statement: that AE were NOT Eurasian immigrants.

That you pretend not to see the fundamental contradiction is evidence that you are aware that your position is intellectually bankrupt. Which is unfortunate, since it is the 1st "evidence" you have provided in this conversation.

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Rasol, is this a quote from Lefkowitz? Where did you find it? I'd like to read the article in it's entirety.

Yes, it's in the book Not Out of Africa, which is itself just an overblown version of articles written for the New Republic.
The relevant passage is here: http://www.wellesley.edu/CS/Mary/contents.html

She is a Greek "Classisist" primarily interested in denial of African influence on Greece. If you understand her "angle", she is actually "required" to admit that AE was African. Hence her semantics play out like:

Cleopatra was not Black. The PROOF OF WHICH is that Cleopatra was not Egyptian. (but rather a Macedonian Greek.)

Think about that. No matter how she may evade it, the statement implicitly associates AE with Black, even as it does AG with white. It follows from this, that each time she argues for minimizing the influence of Blacks in AG, she sEts up a natural counter argument regarding the limited relevance of whites in AE. This is one of but many, tactical errors in her argument.

And the difference being of course, that AE is over a 1000 years older than AG, the first European civilization. Nothing she can say, can change that fact.

Lefkowitz is wrong for the most part, but no fool. She recognizes that anyone arguing STILL that AE is a European/West Asian society as Horembeb is....is deluding themselves. Her anti-African diatribe is 'slightly' more subtle than that.

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
In the U.S. where native americans are effectively extinct as viable "pure" group many Americans adopt their customs.

As an aside, a supposed academic once tried to explain away the fact of the name of the nation being Kemet, meaning the Black Nation.

He argued that names don't always mean what they seem to.

His/her example was: INDIANA. (the US mid western state). He argued that although the name translates to Land of the Indian, that there are few if any indians in Indiana.

Of course this lead right to the sarcastic reply: That there are relatively few Indians "LEFT" in Indiana for the exact same reason as there are relatively few Black People (Kememu) left in the Black Nation (Kemet)! Which led to an apparently embarrassed non reply.

ps- it isn't an exact analogy of course because Indian is a term that reflects Columbus confusion and has nothing to do with the natives. But there was an indiginous population in the state of Indiana, and that the name does refer to that fact, and their ethnicity...is the point.

kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
hey guys tell me what you think of this racist website,it was sent to me,but i read it before.rasol,ausar,supercar,tear it up and break it down for us to make it more clear.let's us hear what you have to say.

Brazzil - Brazil 24/7
Since 1989 trying to understand Brazil.

www brazzil.com

Brazzil - Brazil 24/7 Forum Index

To: X4D
Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:19 pm
Subject: Re: correct info
X4D wrote:
Dr. Coon was not wrong.

Many Afrocentrics chose to ignore the fact that the Caspian people (probably the ancestors of the Lybian Egpytians) were not black, they were Meditarraneans.

At about the time of about 3000 BC the Sahara desert of Egypt dissicated completely. The arid lands of central Egypt seperated North Egypt from south Egypt. There was an isolation between the blacks in the south and the whites in he north

However, scienticists assume that there was a migration from the north to the south so some of the black population became mixed with the white population in the north

The fact is that Egypt was domiantly white in the north and darker in the Central and southern areas

Archeology

"At the end of the 4th millennium BC, kings of Egypt's 1st dynasty conquered upper Nubia south of Aswan, introducing Egyptian cultural influence to the African peoples who were scattered along the riverbank. In subsequent centuries, Nubia was subjected to successive military expeditions from Egypt in search of slaves or building materials for royal tombs, which destroyed much of the Egyptian-Nubian culture that had sprung from the initial conquests of the 1st dynasty. Throughout these few centuries (c. 2925–c. 2575 BC), the descendants of the Nubians continued to eke out an existence along the Nile River, an easy prey to Egyptian military expeditions. Although the Nubians were no match for the armies of Egypt's Old Kingdom, the interactions arising from their enslavement and colonization led to ever-increasing African influence upon the art, culture, and religion of dynastic Egypt.

Sometime after about 2181, in the period known to Egyptologists as the First Intermediate Period (c. 2130–1938), a new wave of immigrants entered Nubia from Libya, in the west, where the increasing desiccation of the Sahara drove them to settle along the Nile as cattle farmers. Other branches of these people seem to have gone beyond the Nile to the Red Sea Hills, while still others pushed south and west to Wadai and Darfur. These newcomers were able to settle on the Nile and assimilate the existing Nubians without opposition from Egypt. After the fall of the 6th dynasty (c. 2150), Egypt experienced more than a century of weakness and internal strife, giving the immigrants in Nubia time to develop their own distinct civilization with unique crafts, architecture, and social structure, virtually unhindered by the potentially more dynamic civilization to the north. With the advent of the 11th dynasty (2081), however, Egypt recovered its strength and pressed southward into Nubia, at first sending only sporadic expeditions to exact tribute, but by the 12th dynasty (1938–1756) effectively occupying Nubia as far south as Semna. The Nubians resisted the Egyptian occupation, which was maintained only by a chain of forts erected along the Nile. Egyptian military and trading expeditions, of course, penetrated beyond Semna, and Egyptian fortified trading posts were actually established to the south at Karmah in order to protect against frequent attacks upon Egyptian trading vessels by Nubian tribesmen beyond the southern frontier."

Anthropology

EGYPTIANS

One such concentration of [Paleolithic] food-gatherers is seen in the Sebilian culture of Upper Egypt. The skeletal remains from this culture, which have not yet been published, are said to anticipate in physical type the predynastic, placing a fine Mediterranean type in pre-Neolithic times.

The importance of these [early Neolithic] people is that they probably represent the prototype of the Neolithic agriculturalists who moved westward along the shore of North Africa to Morocco, and over into Spain, whence they spread the Neolithic economy, with emmer flax, and swine, to the Swiss lakes and to the Rhine. ... The skulls of these people, which consist mostly of females and infants, are all dolichocephalic and Mediterranean. There is no trace of negroid influence and the skulls are said to be larger than those of predynastic Egyptians....

The [pre-Dynastic] Badarian type represents a small branch of the Mediterranean racial group. ... The Badarian skulls are more prognathous than those of their successors, and have higher nasal indices. ... In fact, while the prognathism and nose form would suggest a negroid tendency, this cannot be established, since the hair form is definitely not negroid. ... Morant shows that the Badarian cranial type is closely similar to that of some of the modern Christians of northern Ethiopia—who incidentally do not show negroid characteristics in the skull—and also to the crania of Dravidian-speaking peoples of southern India. ... On the basis of these racial comparisons, it seems reasonable to suggest that this Badarian physical type may have come from the south, near the headwaters of the Blue Nile. It may represent an early Hamitic racial strain, which persists despite some negroid admixture in Ethiopia and Somaliland to the present day.

In Lower Egypt lived another group of Mediterranean predynastic people who differed from the Upper Egyptians in certain noticeable ways. The heads were broader, the cranial indices higher, reaching a mean of 75, whereas the Upper Egyptian mean is nearly 72. The vault height is less, the face is no broader, but somewhat longer, and the nasal index is lower.

The two types from Upper and Lower Egypt represent the extremes of a purely native Egyptian population, but from the beginning of dynastic times, around 3000 B.C. until Ptolemaic times, the numerous series which give an excellent picture of the progress of racial continuity and change in Egypt show the interactions of these two types. The racial history of Egypt in the course of three thousand years was simply the gradual replacement of the Upper Egyptian type by that of Lower Egypt. ... Ancient Egypt must remain the most outstanding example yet known in the world of an important, naturally isolated region in which native racial types were permitted to develop their own way for several thousand years completely uninfluenced by foreign contacts.

The wealth of contemporary illustrative material from Egyptian art sources may be divided into two classes, conventional representations and portraits. The former show a definite and well-recognized type; slender-bodied and wiry, with narrow hips and small hands and feet. The head and face are those of a smoothly contoured fine Mediterranean form.

The pigmentation of the Egyptians was usually a brunet white; in the conventional figures the men are represented as red, the women often as lighter, and even white. ... the hair is almost inevitably black or dark brown, and the eyes brown.... The Egyptian representation of foreigners is quite accurate; besides the Libyans, who have Nordic features as well as coloring, Asiatics, with prominent noses and curly hair, sea peoples from the Mediterranean, with lighter skins and a more pronounced facial relief than the Egyptians, are also shown, as well as negroes. ... The Mediterranean pigmentation of the Egyptians has probably not greatly changed during the last five thousand years.

(Carleton S. Coon, The Races of Europe)

NUBIANS

Starting from the Late Neolithic...similarities between the Nubians and the populations of Northeast Africa...and Asia...became even more distinct, which may prove the existence of strong ties derived probably from influx of the Caucasoids from the regions of Levant, Mesopotamia, and India. They were coming to Nubia through the Sinai Peninsula, but probably also through the south Saudi Arabia. The Kerma series from Upper Nubia shows particular similarities to the present-day Indian series.
From the Neolithic on, or possibly even earlier, the strategic location of Nubia, promoting contacts between various populations, started to bring about effects in the form of the civilizational development of this region. Finally, these two factors led to the Hamitisation process, whereby superimposition of the Caucasoids on the Negroids took place.

(Aleksandra Pudlo, Anthropological Review, 1999)

Genetics

"To assess the extent to which the Nile River Valley has been a corridor for human migrations between Egypt and sub-Saharan Africa, we analyzed mtDNA variation in 224 individuals from various locations along the river. Sequences of the first hypervariable segment (HV1) of the mtDNA control region and a polymorphic HpaI site at position 3592 allowed us to designate each mtDNA as being of "northern" or "southern" affiliation. Proportions of northern and southern mtDNA differed significantly between Egypt, Nubia, and the southern Sudan.

...we can infer that the migration of northern mtDNA types to the south is older than the migration of southern mtDNA types to the north (or that there has been less gene flow from north to south than from south to north along the Nile River Valley) and that Egypt and Nubia have had more genetic contact than either has had with the southern Sudan. Moreover, we can tentatively infer that these migrations occurred recently enough to fall within the period of the documented historical record of human populations in the Nile River Valley."

Krings et al., Am J Hum Genet, 1999)

"...the present study on the Y-chromosome haplotype shows that there are northern and southern Y-haplotypes in Egypt. The main Y-haplotype V is a northern haplotype, with a significantly different frequency in the north compared to the south of the country: frequencies of haplotype V are 51.9% in the Delta (location A), 24.2% in Upper Egypt (location B), and 17.4% in Lower Nubia (location C). On the other hand, haplotype IV is a typical southern haplotype, being almost absent in A (1.2%), and preponderant in B (27.3%) and C (39.1%). Haplotype XI also shows a preponderance in the south (in C, 30.4%; B, 28.8%) compared to the north (11.7% in A) of the country.

"It is interesting to relate this peculiar north/south differentiation, a pattern of genetic variation deriving from the two uniparentally inherited genetic systems (mtDNA and Y chromosome), to specific historic events. Since the beginning of Egyptian history (3200-3100 B.C.), the legendary king Menes united Upper and Lower Egypt. Migration from north to south may coincide with the Pharaonic colonization of Nubia, which occurred initially during the Middle Kingdom (12th Dynasty, 1991-1785 B.C.), and more permanently during the New Kingdom, from the reign of Thotmosis III (1490-1437 B.C.). The main migration from south to north may coincide with the 25th Dynasty (730-655 B.C.), when kings from Napata (in Nubia) conquered Egypt.

(Lucotte et al., Am J Phys Anthro, 2003)"

The Hpal (np3,592) mitochondrial DNA marker is a selectively neutral mutation that is very common in sub-Saharan Africa.... From 29 [Merotic Nubian] individuals analysed, only 15 yield positive amplifications, four of them (26.7%) displaying the sub-Saharan African marker. Hpa 1 (np3,592) marker is present in the sub-Saharan populations at a frequency of 68.7 on average. Thus, the frequency of genes from this area in the Merotic Nubian population can be estimated at around 39% (with a confidence interval from 22% to 55%). The frequency obtained fits in a south-north decreasing gradient of Hpa I (np3,592) along the African continent. Results suggest that morphological changes observed historically in the Nubian populations are more likely to be due to the existence of south-north gene flow through the Nile Valley than to in-situ evolution.

(C.L. Fox, Ann Hum Biol, 1997)

read my response to the racist,i was debating below.

this is a rasict website,you did get it from a website,because i read thisnon-sense before.if you look at the map of egypt the nile runs south to north,so folks could easy get to the north.if they were block how could folk get to the south.it seems you are saying white could get to the south in early times but blacks could not.
early libyans were african.
and the nubian population in ancient times still remain full blooded blacks.this site above is trash and wrongand i did not read the whole thing.
dr coon was a racist,and was wrong,and you have an agenda for a half black man.

do not write back because i would not repond or read.read my correct info,and should have write it for yourself,and stop sendin me websites.you do not want to learn anything because no matter the proof your made is made up and you just want to resist for the sake of of it.please do not give any more incorrect info.

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Dr. Coon was not wrong.

He was discredited decades ago. People who dredge him up from the cesspool of white racism never actually defend his views, because they have been completely disproven in fields ranging from genetics to anthropology. Carleton Coon's core belief was that Homo Sapiens had evolved five different times in different continents with whites evolving 1st and "most".

Ask them what proof (support) there is in current anthropology for this idea. Coon's ideas are not even "attacked" anymore because they are not "argued" anymore by serious people.

quote:
Carelton Coon: "The Races of Europe"- One such concentration of [Paleolithic] food-gatherers is seen in the Sebilian culture of Upper Egypt. The skeletal remains from this culture, which have not yet been published,.....
But he leaves out the publish date: 1939.

Let whomever is quoting this know that Hitler lost the war as well, since it will apparently come as news to him.

quote:
Many Afrocentrics chose to ignore the fact that the Caspian people (probably the ancestors of the Lybian Egpytians), were medit.

The fact that there were Libyan, Greek, Roman and Assyrian pharoahs is well known.
They are by definition foreign ethnic groups.

quote:
At about the time of about 3000 BC the Sahara desert of Egypt dissicated completely. The arid lands of central Egypt seperated North Egypt from south Egypt.

This guy is a clown. There's this little thing called the Nile river that runs through the country, South to North.

quote:
However, scienticists assume that there was a migration from the north to the south so some of the black population became mixed with the white population in the north

This is 3000 BC the guy is talking about, Narmer has already united the country from Ta Seti (the South), and not from the North.

In essence he is practising revisionist chronology, revisionist history, and mixing it to Carleton Coon's 3rd Reich era "anthropology." What a stinky mess.

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 24 August 2004).]

kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
you are correct rasol,and for the bottom of that article,is seems in it trying to say that in the kerma period of nubia,and earlier whites were replacing the blacks in upper nubia and civilized them,and that is non-sense,and it seems they are trying to say that the nubians were black,white and of the brown race.

Another thing it is saying is that the nubians of the meriotic or meriotic late period were 22% to 55% negriod.that study is a fraud,because it seems to say all of meriotic nubia was like that,and it would be a bit correct if they said lower nubia at that time was like that in late meriotic times,and even the nubians in late meriotic lower nubia who were not negriod in their looks are still black,and not of the brown race.

There is no such thing by the way of a brown race or white nubian,nubians are black period,even if some do not look like it today and many areas in late ancient lower nubia and some areas in the late middle ages in upper nubia.

that study does not make it clear like i said it should,and anyway it is like going to southern france and you dig up some bodies that lived in late ancient times and it is black FOLKS ,and then you write studies saying that most folks in france were non-white and southern france is the real france and not making it clear that it is a few bodies found and do not represent the whole population,but racist scholars and their followers love doing that to black folks and there lands and history.

The same study on two other websites try to make it more clear that meriotic nubians at certain time periods were,22% to 55% negriod and the rest of the nubian population was of the brown and white race,but not making it clear like i just mention above.There is no brown race and white race nubians.

Was that study done FOR late lower nubia?,because if so it would be a bit correct TO say that there were some brown raced looking black nubians,but the non negriod nubians in lower nubia would still be black,even if some in that time period in lower nubia did not look it,but they dig a few bodies and they say it represents meriotic nubia as awhole without saying it is a few places,and really it is in the northern parts.

so if they do not make it clear,it is a fraud,incorrect study,and i should not have to guess where and when,they are talking about, so it makes it clear to me it is more of a fraud, incorrect study.

[This message has been edited by kenndo (edited 24 August 2004).]

rasol
Member # 4592

Well Kenndo, you know my view on that. I don't play the negroid/caucasoid game. The terms are arbitrary, biased from their point of origin among 17th century European racists...and not based on biology or anthropology, in spite of the neverending attempt to reify (transform something artificial into something real).

Hearing thru the noise: When the Eurocentrists are reduced to arguing that Nubians are not Black, it reads as a tacit admission/awareness that Kemetic civilization comes down the Nile from Nubia. It is their intellectual equivalent of hacking noses off of statues, when nothing else can stop the facts staring them right in the face.

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 24 August 2004).]

kifaru
Member # 4698

Rate Member
Horemheb, your response is much appreciated however you did not respond to my questions. As a instructor of history you obviously have a perspective that is somewhat more critical than some of the other egyptophiles on this board. Assuming Tiye as not negroid as you state why is her coloring the way it is and do you have any idea as to why her hair appears the way it does or if this is in fact some sort of headress? I am just looking for a broader understanding of the people of AE. I know the other Afrocentrist s here would say she's got an afro and say that if Occams razor is applied and if the bust is viewed through honest eyes you would see a negro. How do you explain her appearance and to my previous question how do you explain the "negroid" appearance of some of the AE nobility that have had thier vissages posted on this website? The iconography appears to depict many of these people as typical african types.
For instance why are the statues in the tomb of tutankhamen that guard him depicted as black? Is this a nubian honor guard or did the west asians think thaat the color of the statues had some sort of special signifiance? Where do you see the parralells of west asian culture (iconography, physiognomy and religous practice) and AE?

kifaru
Member # 4698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by blackman:
kifaru,
Horemheb answered you by not answering. Horemheb won't answer as he has always done in the past with no data. Horemheb has stated the AE were a west asian people with no data.
Just enjoy Horemheb. Don't take him serious and you will have fun.

Well, blackman I can't really dismiss Horemheb due to the fact that I feel the need to understand his thinking. On some points of contention many afrocentrists have been wrong wrong wrong in their assertions about AE's.
The cleopatra ptolemy that some afrocentrists are trying to claim was a greco egyptian(read white person). That takes nothing away from african history. Two wrongs don't make a right and if we are to advance the academic debate and get to the truth we need to make sure that we don't buy into the same dismissive attiude of Eurocentrist egytophiles. For example have you noticed that Western Europeans(celts,and germanics) historical concept of western civilization almost always portrays celtic and germanic peoples as being civilized by the romans who they believe were civilized by the greeks. Now it is clear to anyone who has reseached the artwork, and technology of the celts upto aand including their writing system (ogham) that tbey did not need civilizing by romans. This is due to the roman idea of everybody being a barbarian but us and imposing this idea on their subject peoples. This causes an inferiority complex and causes them to want to connect to or coopt other cultures. This is also due to the fact that the the research into pre roman history in western European countries is not promoted as important. I'll give horemheb a chance to answer my questions so that he can give resonable arguments for his assertions. This helps him by advancing a logical and fact based information that is not colored by any racial agenda advancing tint if he can do so. Anybody who is objective will be able to examine his answers to my questions if he is willing to answer them.

BTW horemheb, how much negro admixture would you say is necessary for
an idividual to be negroid or display negroid traits? For example would you say that Mariah Cary , Vin Diesel, or Dwayne Johnson were negroes or dispaly negraoid traits?

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
[B]The cleopatra ptolemy that some afrocentrists are trying to claim was a greco egyptian(read white person).

Actually it is wrong to state that this is a point of contention. It certainly isn't being contended in this discussion, which makes it a red herring, largely created by romantic illusions of William Shakespeare and Hollywood. She has nothing to do with African history and discussing her is little more than a distraction.

quote:
For example have you noticed that Western Europeans(celts,and germanics) historical concept of western civilization almost always portrays celtic and germanic peoples as being civilized by the romans who they believe were civilized by the greeks. Now it is clear to anyone who has reseached the artwork, and technology of the celts upto aand including their writing system (ogham) that tbey did not need civilizing by romans.

That's because Ogham writing (with documents dating from 200 AD or so) is derived from far older Latin/Greek writing.

quote:
This is due to the roman idea of everybody being a barbarian but us and imposing this idea on their subject peoples.

Actually it was the Greeks who invented the term barbarian, but you are right on one point. One of the driving factors in Northern European peoples development of "racial ideologies" is to compensate for their own perception of their embarrassingly primative past. So, they invent the notion that they are 'racially-linked' to African and Asian civilization. There is also a vast educational and "intellectual" establishment predicated on this delusion.

They have much to lose (in their own minds) if African/Asian civilization is thought of as essentially indiginous and non European.
"Horembeb" certainly appears to be threatened. And angry.

supercar
unregistered

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Applying pseudo-labels to people in discussion boards seems to be the norm for avoiding debate. Some so-called "Afrocentrics" have gotten things wrong in the past, but what has that to do with what is being discussed here? Like Rasol mentioned earlier, nobody here has made any comment about Cleopatra being "Black"; I have yet to hear from anyone on this board who thinks so! Instead of focusing on the questions being asked, which are relevant to the discussion, some of us seem to be concerned about the description of the workings of Afrocentric ideas.

Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Supercar...they try to use a very subtle but faulty logic. first they say that if it were 'possible' it must be true.
Secondly, they say that during the last 200 years Euro racist scholars have stolen and denied their heritage. Of course, that is pure baloney but it allows they to wipe out all of the legitimate scholarship they do not like.
They want to have a discussion using a faulty side as a place to start. Its like having a debte about UFO's when one side has invented all the information they want to use.
Thirdly,the academic world is on to them...you hear it more and more all the time. This 'alternative' history that they have 'created' is totally isolated.
Fourthly, its a disaster for blacks everywhere and continues to foster that old 'its the white guys fault' attitude that permeates much of the black and third world community.
During the 60's and 70's we started creating these African Studies programs at major Universities all ove rhte western world. When they were created it was to promote diversity and the understanding of these interesting non western cultures. These programs were hijacked by radicals who could give a hoot about history or black heritage. They are really into victimization and radical black politics. If you did deep enough you hit it everytime.

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
[B]Supercar...they try to use a very subtle but faulty logic. first they say that if it were 'possible' it must be true.
1st) You are repeating yourself.
2nd) You are not addressing any argument made by others in this thread, and...
3rd) You are describing your own arguments which begin this present 'discussion' with sweepingly daft statements about something you saw on TV and how it must therefore be "true".

quote:
Secondly, they say that during the last 200 years Euro racist scholars have stolen and denied their heritage.

As documented not only by African scholars, but Asians, Native Americans and Polynisians as well. Imperialism and colonialism by defintion are a form of theft. To deny that they were accompanied with a theft of the heritage of colonialized people is simply to LIE blatantly. No honest and intelligent person would deny the obvious.

quote:
Of course, that is pure baloney but it allows they to wipe out all of the legitimate scholarship they do not like.
Again be specific. In fact, legitimate scholarship stands up to all criticism, and would not be....."wiped out". An example of which would be Herodutus, who stated that the Kemetians were Black, and that they informed him that their ancestors were from the African interior. His observation is consistent with Kemetic historical record and modern bioanthropology. Can you refute it? Yet you prefer to believe they are European/Western Asians? Why, does that make you as a white person feel closer to them? How pathetic that you need so badly to lie.
Herodutus would be ashamed of you!

quote:
They want to have a discussion using a faulty side as a place to start.
Does this mean you are incapable of discussion with those you perceive to be on the other "side"? Whether we are discussing history, or the price of tea in Japan....that seems like and admission of the weakness of your position, and not anyone else's. Whether the source is SOY Keita or Herodutus, don't blame us, because you can't discuss.

quote:
Its like having a debte about UFO's when one side has invented all the information they want to use.

It should certainly be possible to debate UFO's. For example, I would liken UFO's to whacky theories of European/West Asians who supposidly founded Egypt. Wishful thinking in blatant contradiction of all logic, reason and even common sense.

In the favor of an indiginous African origin I can then point to massive material evidence: archeological findings, fossil data, cultural traits, linguistic origins, genetic data, historical record(!), 1st Hand (Kemetic) testimony, and more.

quote:
Thirdly,the academic world is on to them...you hear it more and more all the time.

Well, we certainly hear you repeating the same bad rhetoric, but honestly...the Eurocentrists have been "steady backtracking". Even Mary Lefcowitz anti-African work was noted for how much she was forced to admit: that Kemet was founded by Sub Saharan Africans; that is WAS NOT FOUNDED BY EUROASIANS; that those who say otherwise such as yourself are stuck playing the dead hand of descredited 19TH CENTURY Egyptology...all in order to deny influence of Kemet on Greece. And even here, she failed miserably.

quote:
Fourthly, its a disaster for blacks everywhere and continues to foster that old 'its the white guys fault' attitudethat permeates much of the black and third world community.

Your response is permeated with guilt and resentment and no substance whatsoever. Consider the 'windy' post you just wrote. What facts of Egyptology were related? What facts were disputed? The answer is none, and nothing. You have been so reduced to essentially, a self indulgent, whiney, ranting bore.

[This message has been edited by rasol (edited 25 August 2004).]

kifaru
Member # 4698

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by supercar:
Applying pseudo-labels to people in discussion boards seems to be the norm for avoiding debate. Some so-called "Afrocentrics" have gotten things wrong in the past, but what has that to do with what is being discussed here? Like Rasol mentioned earlier, nobody here has made any comment about Cleopatra being "Black"; I have yet to hear from anyone on this board who thinks so! Instead of focusing on the questions being asked, which are relevant to the discussion, some of us seem to be concerned about the description of the workings of Afrocentric ideas.

I made reference to Cleopatra to describe some of the missteps overzealous afrocentrists have made and not as a rebuttal to anything stated in this thread.

Afrocentric scholarship should not be built on the subjective but the objective. Facts and good scholarship will place african history especially egyptian history in its proper context. Afrocentrists need to also start focusing on other african civillizations to be able to show the parallels to AE. Remember everybody else wasn't sitting around for the AE's to come around before they started building. Who were these people around lake chad whose civilizations rose and fell concurrent with AE? Let's go find out.

Rasol any references as to ogham being derived from latin. I haven't seen any. If you could pleas direct me I would appreciate it.

Horemheb, please answer my questions. Your nonresponse to these questions is beginning to look like avoidance or at least a lack of data to back up your responses. Even anectdottal evidence would be appreciated to put some meat on the bones of your arguments. If you have a problem with afrocentrics hijacking scholarship show us the data that proves them wrong. Many academically bankrupt ideas have been dispelled through data but you got to present it before anyone will be able to judge what you assert as fair or foul. Emotion should have little to do with scholarship. The ball is your court. I am sincerely interested in the evidence you have to present.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com