EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Actually named "The Egyptian Museum"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Actually named "The Egyptian Museum"?
kaytie
Member # 4440

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kaytie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the museum at this link really named the "Egyptian Museum"? I have also seen it referred to as the "Cairo Museum." Which is correct? Does it have a different name in Arabic?

It's just that the name seems too easy for a museum of such grandeur.
http://www.touregypt.net/egyptmuseum/egyptian_museum.htm

Thanks for the help...

Posts: 18 | From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris II
Member # 3079

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Osiris II     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I've always heard it called the Egyptian Museum in Cairo.
It is a wonderful place, full of excellent objects. But the museum is old and understaffed, and a lot of the cases are poorly illuminated, and many of the items shown could use a bit of restoration-work.
I understand plans are underway to build a new musuem--I wish them success, and hope to see it on my next trip!

Posts: 174 | From: Long Beach, CA U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 13 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunatley,you can't take pictures in the Cairo Museum anymore. The officals have banned this because I guess the flash in the camera wears away the paint on the artifacts. The same rule applies for temples.

BTW, some people might not know but you have to pay for pictures taken of ancient monuments. One of the way Egypt generates income is from this pratice.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artemi
Member # 3176

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is this a recent developement?
This is how it was when I was in Egypt last year:
All sites had an additional fee for photography.
You could not take FLASH pictures in the museum, but you could take non-flash photos.
In the temples you were allowed to photograph in the sunlight.
In the enclosed temples (that are not exposed to direct sunlight)you could not use flash, but could take photos without.
Inside the tombs no photography was officially permitted anymore - with or without flash.

Posts: 103 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The current no pictures at the Egyptian museum is recent. However,I think some sites in Egypt are allowed to take free but others they charge tourist for. Then again I might be confusing video tapes with cameras.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcus
Member # 3035

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Artemi:
You could not take FLASH pictures in the museum, but you could take non-flash photos.

Nothing has changed since, but it's still possible to get away with using Flash. (You pretty much have to, as the museum is poorly lit in many areas.) I took some photos on my last visit to Egypt, but I use film so I cannot post the photos here.

These were posted on another board though:

[This message has been edited by Marcus (edited 05 August 2004).]

Posts: 87 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcus
Member # 3035

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Posts: 87 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcus
Member # 3035

Rate Member

Marcus
Member # 3035

Rate Member

[This message has been edited by Marcus (edited 05 August 2004).]

kaytie
Member # 4440

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kaytie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll assume that the name is:

The Egyptian Museum in Cairo

I was there in late winter of 1997 and remember being fascinated by the artifacts. I like old buildings, so that didn't bother me much--but then, I was there for the experience, rather than an academic interest in the displays, so the fact that some items weren't labeled and others were poorly lit didn't bother me.

I remember enjoying the grounds, too.

As to the photography...I recall there being rules about when and where, and fees for some inside shots, but mostly that we had to take care not to include Egyptians unless we didn't mind tipping them.

Posts: 18 | From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good photos Marcus.
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com