EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » “my color” (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: “my color”
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
I hope people don't take this the wrong way but I often notice that since many Americans don't really have a fundamental culture they wallow in the whole idea of race and racial classification. Most Egyptians in Egypt don't care about these issues because no matter their color they are part of a cultural base...

Ausar,
I think the distinction is not cultural but ideological and that is determined by the material conditions of a particular group:

For example, African-Americans and Black South Africans, both groups the product of a modern industrialized society, would likely have more in common materially and therefore ideologically, as opposed to , let's say a Somali national - the product of a rural, non-industrial society. (The Somali, for example, did not consider that they were at war with Ethiopia but rather at war with the Amhara.)

There is no right or wrong to this disparity, nor is any better or worse than. It simply is, by reason of different material conditions, inevitably that way.

Race and racism is a very real and significant component of modern White, Western Industrialized Society, a material consequence of its global hegemony over diverse peoples and nations...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
{ Most African Americans probably come some where from the Sahelian region from Mali to Guinea-Bissau.}

Sight Writes:

And of course the Mandingo from Mali and Baladi share in the common E3b1 Y-Chromosome gene pool. Likewise the Baladi and the people of Guinea-Bissau share in common the M1 mtDNA lineage.

{Some of these Saharan people went into the Nile Valley and were absorbed by the settled agritculturalists.}

Sight Writes:

Actually no. The earliest inhabitants of the Nile Valley were sedentary foragers. Later these sedentary foragers adopted Near Eastern domestic crops with the shift in the winter rain fall pattern as recognized at the Faiyum Oasis. Still later in Upper Egypt cattle herders and sedentary foragers slowly adopted Near Eastern domestic crops as well, but this shift did not fully take hold until the Naqada II phase. There were no settled agriculturalists initially in Lower or Upper Egypt. The base economic structure is sedentary foraging also known as advanced foraging or delayed-return foraging.

{You don't know how many archaeological sites in Western Africa are sometimes neglected because of the main emphasis on Egypt.}

Sight Writes:

I think we can chew bubble gum and walk at the same time.

{I hope people don't take this the wrong way but I often notice that since many Americans don't really have a fundamental culture they wallow in the whole idea of race and racial classification.}

Sight Writes:

What is a fundamental culture?

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought, from what I read from Michael Hoffman in Egypt Before the Pharaohs and others was that there was an impetus from the Sahara area. Most early cultures in Upper Egypt like the Badarian appear to be somewhat of a mixed agritcultual/pastorial economy. Badarian shows close connections to links within the Sahara region. Nabta Playa also shows close links to the Sahara.

I am aware that Fayoum Neolithic predates Badarian and shows close connections with Khartoum Mesolithic/Neolithic cultures. From what I understand Fayoum also had a imput from the Eastern Sahara area.

The barley used in early Egypt was already indigenous. See Fekri Hassan's article on Pre-dyanstic Egypt for more details.

You also had Merimede-Ben-Salama around the Delta that was contemporary with Fayoum I believe.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ausar, Americans obviously have a fundamental culture, I have no idea where you came up with that one. You are usually pretty focused but that one came out of left field somewhere.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Your comments on the Taureg's relationship to the Beja is helpfull because the closest ethnic relative to the Ancient Egyptians, in terms of phenotype, culture, and language are the Beja people.

quote:
rasol wrote:The DNAPrint test results from an African American from: 2004 Entries into Kerchner's DNAPrint Test Results Blog -

As for my mitochondria DNA, one lab has determined that it is Haplotype L3e1 which is most prevalent in East Africa and the Middle East but also found among the Ewondo tribe of Camaroon in West Africa.

Another lab has tested my y-chromosome and says it is found to be prevalent among the Taureg people. As an American of primarily African ancestry, the ancestral paper trail for me usually ends at the 1870 census.

This is all very exciting. Thanks to DNA testing, I can now extend my range of research and pinpoint with more accuracy precisely where I come from.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obenga
Member # 1790

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Obenga     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think what Ausar meant is that America is a young nation and a mix of many cultures without representing one main culture.

Latino, European, African and Native American etc......elements from many different base cultures make up american culture

Posts: 404 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obenga....American has a very strong base culture that assimilates most groups over time.
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
windstorm2005
Member # 6629

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for windstorm2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kem-au writes:
quote:
And pay no attention to the trollers. The people will treat you like royalty.

This is what I hear from everyone, though Egyptians are likely as diverse in their attitudes as everyone else.

However -- it's interesting to see abaza go so far as *disparaging egyptians* with his cut-and-paste madness -- posting articles that portray them as bigots -- to make a noxious point.

This shows where his loyalties *really* lie -- with ARYANISM, not with Egypt.

Kem-au writes:

quote:
the porter walked up to me, bypassing more than a few others in my group, looked up to the sun and said “the sun is wonderful, yes” while rubbing his skin.

I like that! Son of the sun. Means more than skin color, too!

Posts: 56 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
his is what I hear from everyone, though Egyptians are likely as diverse in their attitudes as everyone else.

However -- it's interesting to see abaza go so far as *disparaging egyptians* with his cut-and-paste madness -- posting articles that portray them as bigots -- to make a noxious point.

This shows where his loyalties *really* lie -- with ARYANISM, not with Egypt.

This is correct. He quotes blindly and wildly from white supremacist websites and is quite willing to trash Ancient Egypt in the process, while identifying with the Abaza family Eurasian settler-colonists.

Which is why we laugh at him when he tries the "defending his Egyptian heritage" ruse.

He is a white American who is lost and has found a 'home' spirtually among the Ku Klux Klan. Lol.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com