EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Zahi Hawass

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zahi Hawass
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've already been perturbed with Hawass for his over charging Americans to see the touring King Tut show this summer but his need to have a reconstruction of King Tut's face is even more annoying. What are people's opinion's of Hawass? Do you think he helps or hurts Egyptology?
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought Writes:

More than anything I get a good laugh out of him. He is clearly a bafoon. Have you seen this clown on t.v.? Most of the serious Egyptologists probably tolerate him because he is in charge of the AE Antiquites.

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kembu
Member # 5212

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kembu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's a 'Westerner' wannabe. Notice his cowboy-styled hat on the Nefertiti Ressurected program. He was almost genuflecting in adulation to Joan Fletcher until the reconstructed face showed up. And then he referred to her as an amateur with no experience. Makes you wonder why he allowed her to re-open that tomb (something that had been sealed for years) if he really thought she was an amateur. The guy has no class and no equal in that respect.

Posts: 145 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Zahi Hawass is even know making all Egyptologist publish their results in Arabic language journals.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HERU
Member # 6085

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HERU     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely hurting
Posts: 318 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

Zahi Hawass is even know making all Egyptologist publish their results in Arabic language journals.

Making them? As in issuing a threat in case of non compliance?

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's lost all credibility with me.
Posts: 887 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Yes, Zahi Hawass says that all Egyptologist have to publish their work in Arabic.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Horemheb
Member # 3361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horemheb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think the egyptologists give a hoot about what you guys think?
Posts: 5822 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for neo*geo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never realized how bad Hawass is until reading this article
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2099-1610673_1,00.html

Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thought2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by neo*geo:

I never realized how bad Hawass is until reading this article

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2099-1610673_1,00.html

Thought Writes:

Good Post!

Thought Quotes Hawas:

"My relationship with National Geographic is like my relationship with Discovery Channel, Nova, etc. Anyone who does something good for Egypt, I will work with them. We give them equality. National Geographic gave us the CT scanner and are making visitors'-centre films for us for free. *****I give access***** to these organisations based on what they can and will do for Egypt."

[This message has been edited by Thought2 (edited 09 June 2005).]

Posts: 2720 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atheist
Member # 7741

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Atheist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
neo*geo

hehe when I saw this thread I was about to post that exact link

We need to spread that link around and educate these brainwashed people.

Posts: 270 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
neo*geo
Member # 3466

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Atheist:
neo*geo

hehe when I saw this thread I was about to post that exact link

We need to spread that link around and educate these brainwashed people.

The part about him hacking away at a tomb for a TV show was very disturbing but not as disturbing as him lying and contradicting himself in order to discredit Joann Fletecher. The guy's on drugs.

rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good link neo geo.
Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anacalypsis
Member # 5928

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for anacalypsis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:

Yes, Zahi Hawass says that all Egyptologist have to publish their work in Arabic.

There is nothing wrong with this..provided that the information is objective and truthful don't you think??

But don't get me wrong I think he is a boob!

Posts: 142 | From: University Height, NJ, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my honest opinion, Hawass has his good-side but he has his bad-side as well.

His good-side is that he wants to preserve Egypt's ancient legacy and educate others...

Unfortunately his bad-side is that he lets his position and the power that goes with it go straight to his head, and of course is unwilling to admit the true African origin and nature of Ancient Egypt. He claims that Ancient Egypt is not Near-Eastern but also says it's not African just unique of the two. Of course we know better.

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thought2
Member # 4256

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

Unfortunately his bad-side is that he lets his position and the power that goes with it go straight to his head

Thought Writes:

It is very problamatic that a person with his power and influence is so biased and non-scientific.

rasol
Member # 4592

quote:
Originally posted by Thought2:
Thought Writes:

It is very problamatic that a person with his power and influence is so biased and non-scientific.

Hawass is either two steps forward and one step back, or one step forward and two steps back.

Egyptians must be in charge of their own history, and Hawass IS Egyptian.

But his sensibilities combine:

* groveling to the west.
* pandering to Arab nationalism.
* fear and resentment of Africa. [Blacks]

....well, all that baggage may come with the package, called "modern day egypt", no?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com