EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » babylon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: babylon
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that Cairo was once called Babylon.

Was that the real Babylon talked about in the bible?

Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The name Babylon came from a fortress located just outside Cairo. According to Greco-Roman historians Didorus Siculus and Strabo an Egyptian pharoah named Sesostris settled some captives from Babylon here thus the name Babylon.

The fortress was not the city of Babylon of the Bible which is located in modern day Iraq.

Here is some more information:

http://touregypt.net/featurestories/babylon.htm

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doodlebug
Member # 11649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doodlebug     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks!
Posts: 1808 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know much about babylon, but i know that the priest or philosopher from Persia of Babylon named Mani declared Áxum as one of the four powerfull kingdoms of the world next to China, Rome and Persia.
http://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&q=mani+and+axum&meta=

Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tk101
Member # 12361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tk101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
interesting i never considered that Babylon could be in africa
Posts: 40 | From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babylon isnt in Africa, it is in Iraq.
Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tk101
Member # 12361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tk101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know i was refering to the Fort not the city...
Posts: 40 | From: Chicago | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
The name Babylon came from a fortress located just outside Cairo. According to Greco-Roman historians Didorus Siculus and Strabo an Egyptian pharoah named Sesostris settled some captives from Babylon here thus the name Babylon.

The fortress was not the city of Babylon of the Bible which is located in modern day Iraq.

Here is some more information:

http://touregypt.net/featurestories/babylon.htm

Thanks for the info I never knew Ausar.
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you are speaking of, Babylonia.
You might consult, Babylonian Life And History, E.A.Wallis Budge.

Can someone post a more updated study of Budge's claim regarding the number of Sumerian Kings who ruled before the flood. Budge concluded his chronology with, 10 kings before the flood, for a period of 456,000 years, or a second estimate of, 8 kings reigning for a period of 241,200 years.
Anybody have information of more recent evidence ?

Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^The Sumerian 'Kings list' is different from the Egyptian one in that Egypt was a unified nation-state in which kings for the most part followed a chronological order from dynasty to dynasty. Sumer on the other hand, was not a unified state and had different kings ruling different city-states at the same time. Usually, the dynasty of the list is determined by which king and his city-state was dominant at a certain time period.
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meninarmer
Member # 12654

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for meninarmer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see now that Budge was unaware of the Ubaid's, and his pre-flood list is for the Sumerian flood.
Still, the list seems to be not as contiguous as Egypt's, but tracable.

Posts: 3595 | From: Moved To Mars. Waiting with shotgun | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com