EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » OT ERITREANS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: OT ERITREANS
vidadavida
Member # 12945

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vidadavida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any genetic data on Eritreans I keep getting that they are mixed arabs.
Posts: 271 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there are any. They generally don't differ a lot from Semitic-speaking Ethiopians. Studies on people from N. Ethiopia (Tigray) are almost exactly the same genetically (ethnically they're the same as the Tigrinya, who dominate Eritrea demographically and politically).

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that I read somewhere else that Cushitic speaking populations in Ethiopia weren't all that genetically distinct from Semitic speakers? Is that true?

And since Eritreans aren't genetically distinct from Ethiopians, this should be useful..

Abstract:
Approximately 10 miles separate the Horn of Africa from the Arabian Peninsula at Bab-el-Mandeb (the Gate of Tears). Both historic and archaeological evidence indicate tight cultural connections, over millennia, between these two regions. High-resolution phylogenetic analysis of 270 Ethiopian and 115 Yemeni mitochondrial DNAs was performed in a worldwide context, to explore gene flow across the Red and Arabian Seas. Nine distinct subclades, including three newly defined ones, were found to characterize entirely the variation of Ethiopian and Yemeni L3 lineages. Both Ethiopians and Yemenis contain an almost-equal proportion of Eurasian-specific M and N and African-specific lineages and therefore cluster together in a multidimensional scaling plot between Near Eastern and sub-Saharan African populations. Phylogeographic identification of potential founder haplotypes revealed that approximately one-half of haplogroup L0-L5 lineages in Yemenis have close or matching counterparts in southeastern Africans, compared with a minor share in Ethiopians. Newly defined clade L6, the most frequent haplogroup in Yemenis, showed no close matches among 3,000 African samples. These results highlight the complexity of Ethiopian and Yemeni genetic heritage and are consistent with the introduction of maternal lineages into the South Arabian gene pool from different source populations of East Africa. A high proportion of Ethiopian lineages, significantly more abundant in the northeast of that country, trace their western Eurasian origin in haplogroup N through assorted gene flow at different times and involving different source populations. PDF http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/AJHG/journal/issues/v75n5/41578/41578.web.pdf

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sundiata:
I thought that I read somewhere else that Cushitic speaking populations in Ethiopia weren't all that genetically distinct from Semitic speakers? Is that true?

People!! Let's not forget that the majority of semetic languages are african, leave, like arabic and hebrew, more european languages
Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^I know that, this is apparent since proto-semitic has its roots in NorthEast Africa, I only inquired this because of Yom's quote that Eritreans were ethnically the same as the Tigre and Tigray in Ethiopia. This would seem to rule out Cushitic speakers (not that he/she implied it at all) as being the same ethnically though I read somewhere that they were actually indistinct from Ethiopic Semitic speakers (which supports the fact that they're all indigenous Africans).. Believe me, I know that Semitic is only a language sub-phylum, I don't make any correlation between Semitic and Arab/Jewish..
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Cushitic speakers in Eritrea are the Bilen, the Beja (Hedarab), Saho, and Afar. The Bilen are Agews and so wouldn't be distinct, while the Saho inhabit the same space as the Tigrinya, and the Afar are almost no different from the Saho. Also, the Beja (Hedarab) are thoroughly mixed with the Tigre (which explains why Tigre are the Horner group that looks the most like Bejas), which actually means "servant" or "lower-class" in Beja.

--------------------
"Oh the sons of Ethiopia; observe with care; the country called Ethiopia is, first, your mother; second, your throne; third, your wife; fourth, your child; fifth, your grave." - Ras Alula Aba Nega.

Posts: 1024 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What means "lower class" in Beja? "Tigre" or "Hedarab"?
Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

quote:
Originally posted by Yom:
Well, the Cushitic speakers in Eritrea are the Bilen, the Beja (Hedarab), Saho, and Afar. The Bilen are Agews and so wouldn't be distinct, while the Saho inhabit the same space as the Tigrinya, and the Afar are almost no different from the Saho. Also, the Beja (Hedarab) are thoroughly mixed with the Tigre (which explains why Tigre are the Horner group that looks the most like Bejas), which actually means "servant" or "lower-class" in Beja.

^True.. I found what I was looking for in this particular study also, it seems that the Oromo and Afar plot directly next to the Amhara and Gurage. Besides language they seem to be the same with no noticeable distinctions. The Tigray also, who cluster towards these groups before they do with Yemen and there seems to be some relationship with Egypt (If I'm reading and interpreting Fig. 3 correctly)..
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
@Yonis: "Tigre" does.

@Sundiata: Well, maternally, they're supposedly the closest group to Modern Egyptians (my own maternal line is Tigraweyti, actually).

Maternally, the differences between Ethiopian populations are supposed to be statistically insignificant (don't remember what study. I'll get that to you, though), although paternally there is a difference, mainly regarding J (Semitic vs. Cushitic) and A (Highlander vs. lowlander).

vidadavida
Member # 12945

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for vidadavida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok so the answer is?!?! Eritreans are generally not mixed? Or what?

The L lineages found in Yemen and Ethiopia(L0-L6) are denoting they are not black/African?

Are the L6 lineages in Yemen due to slavery displacment?

Is this J haplotype "arab/western asian"?

I really didn't get a clear answer to the thread question; then more things were said and I have more questions lol.

Posts: 271 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eritreans are not more mixed than Yemenis are, both areas have had trade and migrations for thousands of years, no one is pure.
Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yom
Member # 11256

Member Rated:
L lineages are purely sub-Saharan African, Vidavida, as is M1.

--------------------

vidadavida
Member # 12945

Rate Member
So you are saying Yemen has African blood?

Is this due to slave trade?

Is J an "arab/west Asian" admixture in Ethiopians?

How mixed are the Ethiopians anyway?

Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by vidadavida:
So you are saying Yemen has African blood?

Is this due to slave trade?

Is J an "arab/west Asian" admixture in Ethiopians?

Are you stupid or something, didn't you read my previous post? Again Yemen and horn of africa have had migration both ways for thousands of years, so you will find both yemenite and east(horn) african lineage on both sides of the read sea, has nothing to do with slave trade.
AFRICA I
Member # 13222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AFRICA I         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I heard here and there that European had narrow noses because of the fact the fact that they lived in cold and dry areas, but from an African perspective they look mixed, I mean the shape of their noise is more similar to Western Asian:it look like a mix of Broad faced African and narrow faced African. Why the likes of Thought fail to notice that...as an African it's too obvious for me...bottom line, from an African perspective, there is no indigenous development of "narrow" nose (actually big nose from an African perspective)...I strongly believe it's a result of various admixture...It's just impossible to believe it if you are an African...
Posts: 919 | From: AFRICA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny wording, as usual africa. Can you clarify what it is you mean?

Also, the first Europeans had wide noses/faces, correct?

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AFRICA I
Member # 13222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AFRICA I         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically European and Western Asian nose shape shows some form of admixture from an African perspective...It's too big and large with respect to narrow faced Africans, it's as if European and Western Asians are a mix of broad faced African and narrow faced Africans...
Posts: 919 | From: AFRICA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well you'd be right , as they have african and asian genes.

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com