EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » To Wally, on Thutmose III

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: To Wally, on Thutmose III
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wally, on his website (http://www.geocities.com/wally_mo/thutmoses3.html) identifies this statue as one of Thutmose III:

-

In fact, that bust portrays Amenhotep III.

This is Thutmose III:

-

Posts: 7080 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^There are other depictions of Thutmose III also, but you have a point.

I see these errors every now and then also like in Myra's site where a painting of Thutmose III is labeled as "Rameses II" (no offense, Myra). [Razz]

Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the more reason we need to tighten up our
scholarship. Correcting errata is appreciated
by all who desire their works to be factual.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^There are other depictions of Thutmose III also, but you have a point.

I see these errors every now and then also like in Myra's site where a painting of Thutmose III is labeled as "Rameses II" (no offense, Myra). [Razz]

Djehuti, could you give me the link to that page so I can correct it. I'm not sure which page it is on. Thanks

These are my Rameses II pages:

http://www.homestead.com/wysinger/ramessesII.html

http://www.homestead.com/wysinger/ancientafrica4.html

http://www.homestead.com/wysinger/ancientafrica7.html

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Israel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chiekh Anta Diop and J.A. Rogers have depicted the first picture as Tutmosis III. What proof do you have that it ain't Tutmosis III?
Posts: 826 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What, indeed, is the point of this nitpicking? If you saw an image of Benjamin Franklin and the caption on the picture read "Thomas Jefferson", what in the h... would be the problem???
The image that I present on my website as that of Thutmoses III is valid, anyone with any knowledge would know that there are other images of this conquering king, but essentially, what the h... is the point of being absolutely accurate; there are remarkable similarites between all of the rulers of the glorious 18th dynasty!
Point of fact is, they're all, like all of dynastic Egypt, 'Negroes'! (Or Blacks, if that is a more suitable term - to paraphrase Budge...) [Smile]

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:

Djehuti, could you give me the link to that page so I can correct it. I'm not sure which page it is on. Thanks

No problem.

http://www.homestead.com/wysinger/ramessesII.html

^It is the picture of Thutmose being annointed by Anupu (Anubis) with an ankh.

It's always good to have everything accurate. By the way, your ancient African kingdoms website is awesome! [Big Grin]

Posts: 26252 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Please call me MIDOGBE
Member # 9216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Please call me MIDOGBE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^
I think Myra's pic is from this tomb (Tuthmose IV's):
http://www.osirisnet.net/tombes/pharaons/thoutmosis4/e_thoutmosis4.htm

Posts: 307 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the diff? They're all "negroes?"
Well let's paste your pic up in the
post office on the most wanted lists
in place of every "negro"

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

By the way, your ancient African kingdoms website is awesome! [Big Grin] [/QB]

^Spoken truth.. That site is legendary.. I've been visiting that site for a long time and it's actually the source (along with this site of course, now) of most of the information I get on Africa.. I concur, awesome site Myra!
Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Speaking of which, and I think this also applies to the Egyptian art thread, but for all those Eurocentrics, white supremacists, and others who deny the Africanity of Egypt; how can they retain such a denial with all of the artwork and portraiture we have???

It's amazing to me how people could say Egyptians were anything other than black Africans considering all of the depictions they left behind! Even the old Hamitic (black-skinned caucasoids) would make somewhat more sense then to say they were not black at all, or that they were 'white' or lightskinned.

Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Israel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannosaurus:
Wally, on his website (http://www.geocities.com/wally_mo/thutmoses3.html) identifies this statue as one of Thutmose III:

-

In fact, that bust portrays Amenhotep III.

This is Thutmose III:

-

Still waiting for proof.............Again, Chiekh Anta Diop and J.A. Rogers both have mentioned that the first pharoah depicted above was Tutmosis III. Do you have proof concerning your assertion?
Posts: 826 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 cents:

The two statues are not the same person.

So it would be good to know who is who.

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti and Please call me MIDOGBE.
Thank you both.

I'll move the picture to my Thutmosis IV page.

http://www.homestead.com/wysinger/TuthmosisIV.html

Thank you everyone for your kind words about my website.

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Your welcome, Myra. Might I add you replace the picture with an actual close up of Rameses from his tomb paintings. I'm sure there are such pics you can use.
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Is it Amenhotep III?

-

2nd photo source: Hidden Treasures of Ancient Egypt, by Zahi Hawass (2004)

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked this link from your site:

http://digdiary.blogspot.com/

Plenty of good modern and ancient egyptians on display.

Also, part of the reason for the lack of Thutmosid era sculptures and paintings, at least on the web, is baffling. There are plenty at dier el ahbari. Also there were plenty in temples to the south of Egypt, which are now under lake nasser.

Some examples:

http://oi.uchicago.edu/gallery/pa_egypt_bees_buhen/index.php/?page=3

Most of these images are of thutmosis III, as can be evidenced from here:
http://oi.uchicago.edu/gallery/pa_egypt_bees_buhen/index.php/I4D5_72dpi.png?action=big&size=resize&fromthumbnail=true

Posts: 8895 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Myra Wysinger:
Is it Amenhotep III?

-

2nd photo source: Hidden Treasures of Ancient Egypt, by Zahi Hawass (2004)

Excellent question. The only time I have ever seen the pharoah on the left is in conjuction with the name Tutmosis III. I am not denying that the 2nd pharoah depicted at the top of the page isn't Tutmosis III, but I also know that I have seen the first pharoah at the top of the page(and the one on the left shown by Myra-same pic) as representative of Tutmosis III. So until Tyrannsarus can prove that the first pharoah isn't Tutmosis III, I will role with Cheikh Anta Diop. In his book, "African Origin of Civilivation", he has the pharoah at the top of this thread as Tutmosis III.
Please call me MIDOGBE
Member # 9216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Please call me MIDOGBE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading some old francophone book (forgot the name) presenting this pic as being that of an unindentified XVIIIth king being possibly Tuthmose III.

Perhaps it was the source of DIOP's label of it. But as Wally says, DIOP's point remains valid, since the purpose of publishing it was to show the Black African type of AE royalty.

Posts: 307 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Israel
Member # 11221

Member Rated:
Excellent point PCMM.
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
if you wanna win at eight ball
you gotta call the shots
when ya playin for money
slop is as good as a scratch

Why retain an inaccurate identification
when it's easy enough to correct and thus
bolster the strength of the whole presentation?

Accepting little glitches leads to going offline.
Isn't it best to be unshakeable down to the most
finite detail if at all possible?

No hero worship. If Rogers and Diop and whoever
else was wrong about who the bust was supposed
to be (presumably based on the best sources of their time) then let's not glorify and repeat
the mistake.

Just update your webpage, it's that simple.

--------------------
Intellectual property of YYT al~Takruri © 2004 - 2017. All rights reserved.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Now unless we have primary text or something from the Kememu that the statue above is Thutmose III, then I agree that it is likely a depiction of Amenhotep III. We have discussed before that while Egyptian portraits follow certain conventions, each personage had a portrait that was more or less consistent.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com