EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Secrets of Egypt's Lost Queen

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Secrets of Egypt's Lost Queen
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the Discover Channel documentary coming on tomarrow at 9pm I think about Hatshepsut. And yea, the actress is white...like European white.

http://www.discoverychannel.ca/shows/showdetails.aspx?sid=2115

I'm going to watch it just to see how it is...but hold my nose the whole way. Nefertit: Ressurected is coming on again though at 5pm.

Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by King_Scorpion:

This is the Discover Channel documentary coming on tomarrow at 9pm I think about Hatshepsut. And yea, the actress is white...like European white.

Yes, that's exactly what I said. I take it that this is some counter-balance(attack) to all the previous Discovery programs using black actors to depict Egyptian rulers. I don't think Borg is directing this one. If he is, he must have less control if you know what I mean. [Razz]

quote:
I'm going to watch it just to see how it is...but hold my nose the whole way. Nefertit: Ressurected is coming on again though at 5pm.
My thoughts exactly. I'm getting ready to watch it right now. [Smile]
Posts: 26500 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theborg
Member # 5196

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for theborg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't make Hapshepsut, sorry. I was busy on 'Sinking of the Lusitania' and the upcoming 'Super Storm' which airs Aug. 5. But, if I had, Hapshepsut would have been played by Queen Latifah. My other films 'Quest for the Lost Pharaoh', 'Sphinx Revealed', 'Nefertiti Resurrected', and 'Egypt's Lost Tomb' all aired again tonight. The (black) actors in 'Sphinx...' are all native born Egyptians we cast in Cairo. Watch 'The Great Wall' in October. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to post the Japanese poster for 'Rameses: Wrath of God or Man'. The poster portrays Rameses The Great as the average black N. African.
Posts: 35 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well of course anyone who believes that the American media institutions is anything other than a bastion of Eurocentric propaganda is definitely being nonsensical. It isn't a game of tidily winks we are talking about here. These media outlets and their money are doing nothing but promoting a Eurocentric agenda by pushing Eurocentric ideology as some kind of "science", when in reality it is nothing BUT science. It is ideology and a priori conclusions backed up by a tiny bit of science to make it seem legit. Therefore, for all the evidence that exists to the contrary, they will still present their activities of mummy reconstructions and reenactments as based on "real" science, when in all actuality it is nothing more than Hollywood fiction masquerading as scientific fact. The Eurocentric "discipline" of Egyptology is nothing more than a European fantasy that has been promulgated since Napoleon and had been joined at the hip to Arab/Muslim rulers who benefit from good financial and military ties with the west. Therefore, it is a marriage of convenience where one gets to fund studies and publications from a Eurocentric perspective while the other gets European and American money to finance the Egyptian Antiquities service along with European and American tourism money.

It is a joke and deserves to be treated as such.

Just consider this, if anyone was doing a history of Greece or Rome it would be UNQUESTIONABLE whether they would be played by European actors. Yet here it is in this day and age that people actually QUESTION whether Africans, black Africans, should play the roles of Egyptians. It is a totally, absolutely absurd point of view to suggest that they shouldn't, to say the least. This isn't something that should depend on what DIRECTOR is directing the piece, because that only CHEAPENS it even more, meaning that there is absolutely NO concern for historical accuracy over a concern for supporting a Eurocentric agenda by promoting Eurocentric dogma. Lets see a director arbitrarily cast Asian or African actors when doing a show or Rome or Greece if that is all that it takes....

Posts: 8910 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
quote:

Yes, that's exactly what I said. I take it that this is some counter-balance(attack) to all the previous Discovery programs using black actors to depict Egyptian rulers. I don't think Borg is directing this one. If he is, he must have less control if you know what I mean. [Razz]

quote:
My thoughts exactly. I'm getting ready to watch it right now. [Smile]

Counter-balance...that's EXACTLY what I was thinking!! Like someone behind the scenes got pissed at all the dark-skinned depictions and made this just to be an ass (I don't know the person...just speculating). I'm still going to see the whole thing though to see how they casted everyone else.

BORG: It's good to hear from you again.

Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlexandertheConqueror
Member # 13806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlexandertheConqueror     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone watch the Discovery Channel documentary on the Giza Necropolis? They focused on the construction of the Sphinx by Pharaoh Djedefre and featured French Egyptologist Vassil Dobrev. The cast was very realistic and actually looked "Egyptian".
Posts: 32 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you mean by realistically looked Egyptian?
Posts: 8910 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlexandertheConqueror
Member # 13806

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlexandertheConqueror     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
What do you mean by realistically looked Egyptian?

They looked Egyptian  -
Posts: 32 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
They look like modern Egyptians.

But this:
 -

does not match that:

-

The second is how the ancient Egyptians portrayed themselves during the times of the pyramids.

But yes they do look like Egyptians and probably are Egyptians, modern Egyptians. It is a big improvement over the European looking folks they used to put in some of these programs. Even though to be 100% accurate they would need to cast more Egyptians from the South of Egypt.

King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
I wonder how long before they make some BS facial reconstruction of Hatshepsut.
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
I am just wondering how long before someone just exposes their B.S. for what it is. B.S.

So I take it no one else watched the program?

Trust me, they are very clever in the way they produce these programs. They have all these Egyptologists, Zahi Hawass and others on the show, which gives it an air of "science". However, none of the reenactments are REALLY based on science as opposed to pure "hypothetical" movie making. In other words, if someone was to seriously challenge them on it, the ACTUAL Egyptologists would claim that they had nothing to do with it and the SOLE responsibility is that of the producers at the Discovery channel. Also, note WHO this program is designed for, it is designed for Americans, British and other English speaking WHITE European countries, most of which are THOUSANDS of miles away from Egypt. They have NO RELATIONSHIP with Egypt at all. Therefore, the "production values" that they use are all built around pleasing these WHITE European audiences as opposed to presenting accurate historical facts. Of course, this program was NOT designed for the Egyptians or any OTHER Africans to view or to make them feel CLOSER to their HISTORY as Africans and Egyptians. Which MAKES THIS a TOTAL and COMPLETE FARCE from beginning to end, by trying to make people THOUSANDS of miles FROM EGYPT feel CLOSER to Egyptian history and culture than THOSE THAT LIVE THERE OR IN THE VICINITY....... All this from people who didn't even KNOW anything about Egyptian history and culture until 300 years ago.

If that isn't an absolute joke, I don't know what is.

SEEKING
Member # 10105

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SEEKING     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The portrayal of Hapshepsut made me want to barf. I was truly disgusted.
Posts: 391 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I am just wondering how long before someone just exposes their B.S. for what it is. B.S.

....... All this from people who didn't even KNOW anything about Egyptian history and culture until 300 years ago.

word. .. Clearly stated. These people didn't know anything about AE up to 300yrs ago and now it'e theirs. True meaning to the words "Stolen Legacy"
[Frown]

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by theborg:
I didn't make Hapshepsut, sorry. I was busy on 'Sinking of the Lusitania' and the upcoming 'Super Storm' which airs Aug. 5. But, if I had, Hapshepsut would have been played by Queen Latifah. My other films 'Quest for the Lost Pharaoh', 'Sphinx Revealed', 'Nefertiti Resurrected', and 'Egypt's Lost Tomb' all aired again tonight. The (black) actors in 'Sphinx...' are all native born Egyptians we cast in Cairo. Watch 'The Great Wall' in October. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to post the Japanese poster for 'Rameses: Wrath of God or Man'. The poster portrays Rameses The Great as the average black N. African.

Queen Latifah looks too fat IMO. I would have chosen Beyonce or Brandy Norwood.
Posts: 7221 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
They look like modern Egyptians.

But this:
 -

does not match that:

-

The second is how the ancient Egyptians portrayed themselves during the times of the pyramids.

But yes they do look like Egyptians and probably are Egyptians, modern Egyptians. It is a big improvement over the European looking folks they used to put in some of these programs. Even though to be 100% accurate they would need to cast more Egyptians from the South of Egypt.

I dunno, the screencap from the documentary is too small, but they look black to me.
Posts: 7221 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
quote:

So I take it no one else watched the program?

Trust me, they are very clever in the way they produce these programs. They have all these Egyptologists, Zahi Hawass and others on the show, which gives it an air of "science". However, none of the reenactments are REALLY based on science as opposed to pure "hypothetical" movie making. In other words, if someone was to seriously challenge them on it, the ACTUAL Egyptologists would claim that they had nothing to do with it and the SOLE responsibility is that of the producers at the Discovery channel. Also, note WHO this program is designed for, it is designed for Americans, British and other English speaking WHITE European countries, most of which are THOUSANDS of miles away from Egypt. They have NO RELATIONSHIP with Egypt at all. Therefore, the "production values" that they use are all built around pleasing these WHITE European audiences as opposed to presenting accurate historical facts. Of course, this program was NOT designed for the Egyptians or any OTHER Africans to view or to make them feel CLOSER to their HISTORY as Africans and Egyptians. Which MAKES THIS a TOTAL and COMPLETE FARCE from beginning to end, by trying to make people THOUSANDS of miles FROM EGYPT feel CLOSER to Egyptian history and culture than THOSE THAT LIVE THERE OR IN THE VICINITY....... All this from people who didn't even KNOW anything about Egyptian history and culture until 300 years ago.

Oh no doubt. Everyone in the ancient portrayals were white...I mean EVERYBODY!! At least they found Hatshepsut's mummy...but still. I'm waiting for more whitewashed BS (like a facial reconstruction).
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannosaurus:
I dunno, the screencap from the documentary is too small, but they look black to me. [/QB]

That’s the problem with this race obsess world we live in. Always trying to categorize peoples by race. What is black to one person is not to others. Maybe “indigenous African” is the right term. But how far back do we have to go to be call people indigenous. Maybe Rasol and others do have a point. There are no races.
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
quote:
I dunno, the screencap from the documentary is too small, but they look black to me.

That’s the problem with this race obsess world we live in. Always trying to categorize peoples by race. What is black to one person is not to others. Maybe “indigenous African” is the right term. But how far back do we have to go to be call people indigenous. Maybe Rasol and others do have a point. There are no races.
[Roll Eyes] [/QB]

Race is a global social construct...and there's nothing we can do about that. Yes, biologically...race doesn't exist, but that's beside the point now.
Mansa Musa
Member # 6800

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mansa Musa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched it. Engrossing documentary as expected from the Discovery Chanel.

But as expected the ethnic appearance of the Egyptians was bastardized.

You had White Egyptians in the re-enactment of Hatshepsut's life. They looked French to me, or the Whitest modern Egyptians I have ever seen.

This sad portrayl was made even more comical by the very Black Egyptians who accompanied Hawass on
this expedition in Luxor (likely locals doing contract work).

Hawass was billed as some sort of Archeological Superman, always coming up with the most dynamic advances in the project such as the most crucial one which was to scan the container of Hatshepsut's live for clues, which resulted in finding a tooth that perfectly matched one of two mummies (seleted themselves out of 4) that could have been the royal Queen, thus revealing without a doubt that they had found Queen Hatshepsut.

According to the documentary the motivation to wipe the Queen out of history was a propagnda tactic by Thumose III to ensure that his paternal family line would be viewed as continuing succession overlooking the deviation made during Hatshepsut's reign.

Overall the documentary was impressive. It was a credit to the signficance of Ancient Egyptian culture, but once again Eurocentrism prevails and we are left with a glorious presentation of Ancient Egypt, Blacked out by White Wash.

Posts: 1203 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
No, this world is not race obsessed it is skin color obsessed, which is a result of the world domination of LIGHT skinned populations over most of the world during the last few thousand years. Naturally, as a result of this domination, the adoration of white skin has become part of the propaganda machine designed to maintain and promote WHITE POWER. In this scheme, white is the epitome of beauty, is the epitome of intelligence is the always right and is the essence of what all humans should aspire to be. In other words and insult to God, the sun, nature, biology and everything else that gave birth to human beings and DARK SKIN. It is DARK SKIN that allowed humans to survive in the world of HIGH UV radiation and move on to POPULATE the earth and CREATE the populations that EVENTUALLY gave rise to WHITE populations. It was DARK SKINNED populations who inhabited the earth for MOST of the history of HUMAN BEINGS. In fact, the Egyptians TOOK NOTE of that fact and THIS is why they OPENLY PROMOTED AND ADORED BLACKNESS as a sign of strength, vitality and renewal in their cosmology, which ALSO reflected the FACT of human origins among the BLACK populations in the South of Egypt along the Nile. But that is REAL biology , anthropology and science as opposed to the NONSENSE FANTASIES of white supremacy.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by theborg:

Borg! Great to hear from you again. I have seen previews of the programs you mentioned. They look interesting, but the 'Super Storm' one looks more like science fiction than an actual documentary.

quote:

...Just consider this, if anyone was doing a history of Greece or Rome it would be UNQUESTIONABLE whether they would be played by European actors. Yet here it is in this day and age that people actually QUESTION whether Africans, black Africans, should play the roles of Egyptians. It is a totally, absolutely absurd point of view to suggest that they shouldn't, to say the least. This isn't something that should depend on what DIRECTOR is directing the piece, because that only CHEAPENS it even more, meaning that there is absolutely NO concern for historical accuracy over a concern for supporting a Eurocentric agenda by promoting Eurocentric dogma. Lets see a director arbitrarily cast Asian or African actors when doing a show or Rome or Greece if that is all that it takes....

That is exactly what went on through my mind-- the obviously grotesque bias. I actually was thinking, what would happen if Discovery made a program about ancient China and used white actors to portray the imperial dynasty? Or black actors to portray Roman Senators?? Very grotesque.
quote:
Originally posted by AlexandertheConqueror:

Did anyone watch the Discovery Channel documentary on the Giza Necropolis? They focused on the construction of the Sphinx by Pharaoh Djedefre and featured French Egyptologist Vassil Dobrev. The cast was very realistic and actually looked "Egyptian".

Yes I saw the program, but as Doug pointed out they did not look like ancient Egyptian so much as modern Arab Egyptians!
quote:

Queen Latifah looks too fat IMO. I would have chosen Beyonce or Brandy Norwood.

If you saw the program or read any of the info about the articles of Hatshepsut's mummy, you would know that according to the findings Hatshepsut died as an obese woman in 50s. She also had rotten teeth. [Embarrassed] EEHHK! It was gross how she died too. One of her rotten gums had an abssess that burst and spread to the rest of her body when the physicians pulled out the tooth. She lay in bed in severe agony in days dying of septic shock! Poor woman! [Frown]

quote:

I wonder how long before they make some BS facial reconstruction of Hatshepsut.

I thought about that too. Although the question is will it really be BS? If you remember from the program 'Nefertiti Resurrected', the forensic scientists who did the reconstruction for Fletcher's mummy was double-blinded (they didn't know where the skull came from), and in the end it came out with very African features. The soft tissue parts and skin color was done by a graphic artist whose basis was on what ancient Egyptians looked like. What's funny is that some white racists claimed that the graphic artist was a biased African American or something when it was actually a modern Egyptian!
Posts: 26500 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few other qualms about the show, besides the actors casted to portray Hatusu and her family.

For example, why did not only accept Hatusu's sculptures and portraiture but actually use them to determine her features, when they outright rejected such works for King Tut??

In one part of the show, they described her features such as small mouth and 'aquiline' nose. First of all, judging from all the depictions, her nose wasn't really aquiline but straight-- aquiline has a slight bent in the bridge. And second, by the description they give those who are unfamiliar with the diversity of native African looks will no doubt associate such features with "caucasoid" or non-blacks. They then mentioned that the tip of her nose was "wide" like many members of her family and again they brought up the "buckteeth" trait that was common amongst 18th dynasty royals, which those of us in this board know as alveolar prognathism!

But the main qualm that I have was how just 2 hours before the premier of the program they re-aired Nefertiti Ressurrected. After watching that, as I watched Egypt's Lost Queen, I realized even more so how unfair Hawass was to poor Joanne Fletcher! In fact, it got me pissed!! [Mad]

I ask, why was it when Joanne Fletcher had a theory about the famous identity of an unknown mummy and seemed to have alot of evidence in support of it, was she then attacked by Hawass and then "punished" by being banished from working in Egypt... And then when Hawass makes a similar theory, he makes himself the hero of history all of a sudden?!! After watching the program, it's official-- [Embarrassed] Hawass is an A$$-H*LE!!

Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Doug M:
...Just consider this, if anyone was doing a history of Greece or Rome it would be UNQUESTIONABLE whether they would be played by European actors. Yet here it is in this day and age that people actually QUESTION whether Africans, black Africans, should play the roles of Egyptians. It is a totally, absolutely absurd point of view to suggest that they shouldn't, to say the least. This isn't something that should depend on what DIRECTOR is directing the piece, because that only CHEAPENS it even more, meaning that there is absolutely NO concern for historical accuracy over a concern for supporting a Eurocentric agenda by promoting Eurocentric dogma. Lets see a director arbitrarily cast Asian or African actors when doing a show or Rome or Greece if that is all that it takes....

Instead of sitting here and complaining why don't you do something about it?
You said that for twenty years you had a interest for Egypt, you used to go to the library and study the depictions in old books, and now twenty years later you have only amounted to complaining at ES.
Wouldn't it have been better and more productive if you instead applied to work as filmmaker for discovery channel 10 or 15 years ago, who knows you might have directed this little movie that you now instead complain about here at ES.
Whining will for sure not get you anywhere.

Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
I do agree that Hawass is a major media whore...but to be fair to him after watching Nefertiti: Ressurected again...he DID say it was pure speculation to say that the mummy was Nefertiti (during the program).
Yonis
Member # 7684

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yonis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Djehuti:
I ask, why was it when Joanne Fletcher had a theory about the famous identity of an unknown mummy and seemed to have alot of evidence in support of it, was she then attacked by Hawass and then "punished" by being banished from working in Egypt... And then when Hawass makes a similar theory, he makes himself the hero of history all of a sudden?!! After watching the program, it's official-- Hawass is an A$$-H*LE!!

Hawass doesn't look black, so it's natural that he doesn't want The ancients in his country to look black either, he's not an asshole he's an ethnocentrist like everyone else in this world, quite natural human behaviour.
Posts: 1420 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Yonis:
quote:
Doug M:

You said that for twenty years you had a interest for Egypt, you used to go to the library and study the depictions in old books, and now twenty years later you have only amounted to complaining at ES.
Wouldn't it have been better and more productive if you instead applied to work as filmmaker for discovery channel 10 or 15 years ago, who knows you might have directed this little movie that you now instead complain about here at ES.

Nobody is whining. The REAL solution is for Africans to create THEIR OWN institutions, including media, education and financial institutions that would allow them to CONTROL THEIR OWN IMAGE AND HISTORY. What we are talking about here is a LACK of control of one's own INSTITUTIONS. White supremacy is all about CONTROL and therefore being able to DEFINE ones image and the image of others in the minds of the people. Just working for the discovery channel is not the solution, as the discovery channel is DESIGNED and BUILT to support the interests of white supremacy. In all reality, if I was a director for them, they WOULD NOT support the kinds of programs on Egypt and Africa that I would want to direct. The point is SCREW the history channel, because it is doing nothing but turning minds into mush. Don't depend on OTHERS to do the thinking for you, ESPECIALLY those who you know aren't INTERESTED IN THE TRUTH. The whole purpose of the Discovery channel and other such outlets is to have you TRUST them and DEPEND on them to get YOUR FACTS about history.

I mean after all, here we are talking about a DYNASTY that was FOUNDED on the principles of BLACKS and their SOUTHERN connections to OTHER BLACKS fighting AGAINST white invaders. Yet the way THEY tell it, NONE of that matters, so this SOUTHERN dynasty becomes AS WHITE as the invaders. It is a total complete bunch of B.S. The reason for this is because the MODERN state of Egypt is ruled by people who base their legitimacy to ties WITH NORTHERNERS from OUTSIDE of Egypt WHO ARE WHITE. Therefore, as a way of REINFORCING their legitimacy, they HAVE to portray the ancient Egyptians as being WHITE as they are. It is EXACTLY the opposite from the times of the 18th dynasty, which based THEIR legitimacy on TIES TO THE SOUTH and the ancestral connections to BLACK FOLKS. Don't forget it was the SAME Hatshepsut who sent the famous expedition to PUNT and celebrated these BLACK AFRICANS as Egypt's ANCESTORS. Yet they would have you believe that this Queen celebrating her BLACK ROOTS was lily white. That doesn't even match the phenotype of MODERN upper Egyptians, let alone ANCIENT Egyptians. So the people being ROBBED are the people of UPPER EGYPT who ARE NOT WHITE and who ARE the living descendants of these people. Of course, it is NOT in the interest of modern Egypt to portray itself as a bunch of WHITE NORTHERN elites who are dominating and oppressing the CULTURE and HISTORY of a bunch of SOUTHERN BLACKS. But that is the truth.

And it is NEVER whining when you call someone out for being a LIAR. I will do that ANY DAY of the week, especially those perennial LIARS who parade themselves around as unbiased experts, which is the BIGGEST lie of all.

Nice Vidadavida *sigh*
Member # 13372

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nice Vidadavida *sigh*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Doug M:

^^^LOL!!!!!!!!! Good point actually, but this should be directed towards the others like Rasol rather than Doug M. I don't understand the point of sitting on a forum "praying" for a director to make "realitistic" images of Egyptians in movies [Confused] Do something why don't you!!!!!
Posts: 336 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nice Vidadavida *sigh*
Member # 13372

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nice Vidadavida *sigh*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
delete
Posts: 336 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
That is exactly what went on through my mind-- the obviously grotesque bias. I actually was thinking, what would happen if Discovery made a program about ancient China and used white actors to portray the imperial dynasty? Or black actors to portray Roman Senators?? Very grotesque.

Actually, the Romans are often misrepresented in popular culture as well. Why is it that they often have British accents? They were Italians.

quote:
If you saw the program or read any of the info about the articles of Hatshepsut's mummy, you would know that according to the findings Hatshepsut died as an obese woman in 50s. She also had rotten teeth. [Embarrassed] EEHHK! It was gross how she died too. One of her rotten gums had an abssess that burst and spread to the rest of her body when the physicians pulled out the tooth. She lay in bed in severe agony in days dying of septic shock! Poor woman! [Frown]
You mean, no hot pharaoh babe? [Frown] [Frown]

I WANT MY HOT PHARAOH BABE!

quote:
I thought about that too. Although the question is will it really be BS? If you remember from the program 'Nefertiti Resurrected', the forensic scientists who did the reconstruction for Fletcher's mummy was double-blinded (they didn't know where the skull came from), and in the end it came out with very African features. The soft tissue parts and skin color was done by a graphic artist whose basis was on what ancient Egyptians looked like. What's funny is that some white racists claimed that the graphic artist was a biased African American or something when it was actually a modern Egyptian!
Maybe he was Saeeidi. They seem to have less issues with black ancestry than Lower Egyptians.
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Of course all that is easier said than done, but you do have a point. Someone should step up to the plate and create more accurate film depictions. Borg is just one of the few already.

quote:

I do agree that Hawass is a major media whore...but to be fair to him after watching Nefertiti: Ressurected again...he DID say it was pure speculation to say that the mummy was Nefertiti (during the program).

And Fletcher herself said it wasn't certain (until there's conclusive proof like DNA) her mummy was actually Nefertiti but that evidence suggests it. That still does not warrant Hawass throwing a tantrum and banning Fletcher indefinitely from working in Egypt, though! Such an action is definitely not fair!
quote:

Hawass doesn't look black, so it's natural that he doesn't want The ancients in his country to look black either, he's not an asshole he's an ethnocentrist like everyone else in this world, quite natural human behaviour.

First of all, the feelings you suppose Hawass to have (which is true) aren't just ethnocentric it's racist plain and simple. Second, racism and ethnocentrism are natural but social and cultural-- it is something one learns. Third, being an ethnocentrist or even racist is different from being an asshole. One can be a racist but not overtly act like a jerk.

Lastly, exactly what do racial or ethnic feelings have to do with it?! Fletcher's claim was not that the Egyptians were black, but that she thinks she found Nefertiti!! How was Hawass's ethnic sensibilities hurt?! Because of the reconstruction?! If that is the reason, he should come out and say it! Instead his stated reason was that she made sensational but unverified claim about a finding in Egypt to the media before him! That sounds more like an injury to his ego, if you ask me! And if I didn't know any better, I'd say the man had his little theory about the identity of Hatusu's mummy a long time ago but decided not to release it until the sensation Fletcher's finding made died down!

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Actually, the Romans are often misrepresented in popular culture as well. Why is it that they often have British accents? They were Italians.

LOL Well I wouldn't call it a misrepresentation so much a budget save. British is considered the 'high class' accent among the English speaking world, so if there are movies about a powerful traditional European group and it's in English, they speak in that accent. However, there were a few movies I've seen where the Romans at least spoke in Italian accents (like King Arthur). You could go an extra step further and have it even more authentic by having them all speak Classical Latin, but of course that's extra budget money.

quote:
To the condition of Hatusu's mummy:

You mean, no hot pharaoh babe? [Frown] [Frown]

I WANT MY HOT PHARAOH BABE!

LMFO [Big Grin] Just because she died that way in her 50's does not at all mean she was always like that-- a fat woman with rotten teeth!

In fact most Egyptologists agree, most portraits of Egyptian royals are made depicting them in the most ideal conditions-- young and beautiful. All of Hatshepsut's portaits showed her that way.

By the way, LOL at the thought of Queen Latifah playing Hatusu in her later years. Not that I think she doesn't look the part, but making her have rotten out teeth and suffereing from a hip tumor and diabetes would not make her look like the 'Cover Girl' she's so used to being, even with the extra weight!

As for who can play young Hatusu... I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Ashanti looks so much like her portraits, in my opinion, it's not even funny:

-  -

[Wink]

quote:
Maybe he was Saeeidi. They seem to have less issues with black ancestry than Lower Egyptians.
Actually they showed the graphic artist on the program, and the irony was that he looked pretty much like an Arab Egyptian!
Mystery Solver
Member # 9033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Solver         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

If this includes the idea that Romans fitted more into the southern European phenotypic continuum, naturally which is discernable from northern west Europe, then you may have a point there. That said, playing Romans makes more remote sense for northern Europeans to do than say, playing Egyptians or ancient Chinese. Romans were at least Europeans.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Of course!
BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
quote:

LOL Well I wouldn't call it a misrepresentation so much a budget save. British is considered the 'high class' accent among the English speaking world, so if there are movies about a powerful traditional European group and it's in English, they speak in that accent. However, there were a few movies I've seen where the Romans at least spoke in Italian accents (like King Arthur). You could go an extra step further and have it even more authentic by having them all speak Classical Latin, but of course that's extra budget money.
It probably isn't that costly for a movie or TV studio to simply get a few books on classical Latin (or hire a Latin professor) for the scriptwriters to refer to.

Here's an idea for a Roman movie, particularly a less serious one: why not have the plot focus on the competition for power between the major families of Rome (Julius, Scipio, and Brutus) and cast guys like Robert DeNiro and whoever played Tony Soprano as the Romans? After all, the sort of corruption going on between the families does resemble the Mafia (must be an old Italian tradition).

AlexandertheConqueror
Member # 13806

Rate Member
quote:
Here's an idea for a Roman movie, particularly a less serious one: why not have the plot focus on the competition for power between the major families of Rome (Julius, Scipio, and Brutus) and cast guys like Robert DeNiro and whoever played Tony Soprano as the Romans? After all, the sort of corruption going on between the families does resemble the Mafia (must be an old Italian tradition). [/QB]

Haha...I would watch that. They wage war trying to figure out who finished all the gabagoul [Big Grin]
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ ROTFLMAO [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Oh that was a great one, Alexander! [Big Grin]

By the way, I think they should make movies based on Classical Greek plays and use real Greeks. I think Nia Vardalos woud do great in the movie version of Lysistrata!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com