EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Ancient Kushite/Meroite Wardrobe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ancient Kushite/Meroite Wardrobe
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody know where I can find some pictures on ancient Ethiopian, Egyptian, and Persian wardrobe? I'm currently reading The Aethiopica written by Heliodorus.

[ 01. December 2007, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Henu ]

Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike111
Banned
Member # 9361

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike111   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This site has sections for each civilization, with pictures on all of the pages. There is also an additional material section with pictures of them in their normal attire.

For the Egyptians, there is also pictures of their jewelry and furniture. In the Persian section, there are pictures from Apadana of almost all of the ancient people.

You might also want to look at the Roman mummy portrait section, some of the pictures are beautiful, and very informative as to what the people looked like, and what clothing they wore.

Real History

Posts: 22721 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ By ancient Ethiopia, do you mean the modern country of Ethiopia in ancient times or Sudan??

If you mean the former, you can probably ask Yom.

Posts: 26267 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ By ancient Ethiopia, do you mean the modern country of Ethiopia in ancient times or Sudan??

If you mean the former, you can probably ask Yom.

The wardrobe of the people that lived in Meroe.
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henu
Member # 13490

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thread renamed accordingly.
Posts: 113 | From: Dayr al-Barsha | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sportbilly
Member # 14122

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sportbilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link Mike but I've bene only able to find three or so depictions of Kushite/Nubians on the site you linked to.

Anybody got anything more?

Posts: 248 | From: Way Down South | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a good site: http://www.ancientsudan.org/06_dailylife_02_clothing.htm

There are the famous depictions of Meroite kings and especially Kentake-queens from the temples.

-

-

-

Posts: 26267 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those pictures look similar to the way the ancient Egyptians drew themselves.
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Yes, the similarities are no doubt due to influence from the Egyptians, but can you spot out the differences or rather what features are native to the Kushites?
Ebony Allen
Member # 12771

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ebony Allen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In that picture Myra posted, the hairstyles are definitely Ethiopian.
Posts: 603 | From: Mobile, Alabama | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ I don't know about the hairstyle being Ethiopian, but I do know that it is Egyptian where Egyptologists have dubbed it "Nubian" style.
Beja-Tiffa
Member # 14440

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beja-Tiffa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The clothing of Ancient Nubia and Egypt are exactly the same u should check out the clothing of Kunama men looks just like ancient Egyptian men clothing. The Hairstyle in Ancient Egypt is basically Beja style im trying to find this picture i think Yom can help me its a Poster of Ethiopia 13months of Sunshine were they have this Beja Boy with White Teeth and his Hair is Typical Ancient Egyptian style i know because i use to have the same hairstyle back home
Posts: 68 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenndo
Member # 4846

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenndo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ALOT of the clothing look exactly the same to a certain point in the napatan period but there are some difference if you look at more of the art.
later there were more difference in the meroe period and more so later.in other words there were clothing that were more closer to each other and there were other clothing that egyptians did not have.

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com