EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » The Actual Meaning of Nahasou (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Actual Meaning of Nahasou
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is one of those words in the Mtau Ntr which have been given its own "special" meaning, outside of any correspondence with the Egyptian language. It keeps company with the non-sensical interpretation of the word "Kemet=the Black Land" but with a wider latitude of chicanery possible:

- Budge transliterates 'Kemet' into 'Egypt' and 'Nahasu' into Negroes (Blacks if he were writing today)

- This has become a canon of Western Egyptology

- There are books in the Public Library on Egyptian poetry which even translates this word into "Niggers" - and embellishes it with hand-maiden, servant - which ironically is close to its original meaning but without the racial pejorative.(now come on, there's three or four at best, books of Ancient Egyptian poetry at the library - seek and ye shall find.)

- Then there is; Nahas in Arabic means "copper"; there is a copper region in Sudan, and since any non-African source trumps an African source; we then perform a European "Nisbe" -
Nubian means "Gold" and Nahas (in Arabic) means "Copper" and both of these groups reside in a Black region, ergo, both Nubian and Nahas mean "Negro" - a simple, racist, and inaccurate conclusion!

"Nahas", is in fact, the only instance in Egyptology were a racial group is specified (Kememou are just "Egyptians");

The Aamu, the most castigated group in the Mtau Ntr, who were rediculed from "an amazing grace to a floatin' opportunity" - are described simply as Asiatic.

The Namu-Sho are just "Desert Nomads"

The Tamhu - (the Red ones) are just, well "Tamhu"...

The following is my own interpretation of the precise meaning of the term Nahas(i, ou, w):

Wolof
Diop informs us that there is a term in Wolof "Nahas" which means useless, worthless...This gives us a helpful hint as we consult the original Mtau Ntr:

-

-

-

...and this was a name of a 13th Dynasty Pharaoh

-
Note that his Nsu Biti title contains the determinative for "Barbarian" - his SaRe title merely lists him as "Nahasi" - which I interpret as "The Barbarian" - a synonym in Mtau Ntr for "Peasant, supplicant, worthless ..."

The Greeks would later borrow this ideological terminolgy: Barbarian, for any people who were not Greeks...

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm aware of this insanity -- check out the "slave woman; negress" devoid of the glyph for slave or black.

Yet Km.t Rm.tyw = "egyptians" lol. I kind of wonder if it was because he realized how nonsensical "black land people" will sound.

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

-
Note that his Nsu Biti title contains the determinative for "Barbarian" - his SaRe title merely lists him as "Nahasi" - which I interpret as "The Barbarian" - a synonym in Mtau Ntr for "Peasant, supplicant, worthless ..."

The Greeks would later borrow this ideological terminolgy: Barbarian, for any people who were not Greeks...

This translation sounds fishy to me; for one, what king in his right mind will allow himself to be called anything that is synonymous with "worthless", unless this was a "commemorative" title bestowed upon him by a successor who despised him, LOL?

Anyway, as for "Nhsw", going retro, here is a "Nile Valley Forum" recap of an ES discussion: Nhsw

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Explorer:

...This translation sounds fishy to me; for one, what king in his right mind will allow himself to be called anything that is synonymous with "worthless", unless this was a "commemorative" title bestowed upon him by a successor who despised him, LOL?

Anyway, as for "Nhsw", going retro, here is a "Nile Valley Forum" recap of an ES discussion...

This guy, sitting at his computer, looking at the image before him, thinks that somethings fishy!?!
A guy who has certainly never heard of Ivan the Terrible (Russia), surely not of AEtheired the Unready (England), of William the Bastard (England)...or maybe he just wants to go fishing...

But I Thank him for reminding me of something I posted back in 2005:
(We didn't have the advantage back then of being able to show the actual hieroglyphs from Budge's dictionary...)

Nhsj (Nahasi)- a Sudanese man
Nhsj.t (Nahasit) - a Sudanese woman
Nhsjw (Nahasou)- Sudanese; southerners in general
Nhsjw (Nahasou)- The Sudanese tribes in the Tuat, the results of the masturbation of Ra.

The way it's written

Most words in the Mdw Ntr that began with the letter "n" were written with the hieroglyph of a water ripple; the word "Nhsjw" was written using the 'Guinea-fowl' glyph with the pronunciation being "Nh;Neh;Nah" - very few words began with this 'letter.'

verifying rasol's correct analysis

In Budge's dictionary, alongside the word "Nehsi" there are additional hieroglyphics showing the different ways of writing the "Nehsi" in the plural. What interests us here is the following example:
Hieroglyphic:
(throw stick)+ s + (sedge plant) + "ou"

--The "throw stick" can be either a determinative; an ideogram; or a phonogram "rs" or "Aa"; at the beginning of a sentence it's a phonogram (and probably also an ideogram which indicates "foreign".)

--The "sedge" hieroglyph ("(n)su; sut") indicates the south; ie;Upper Egypt, Sudan...
So we have "rs"+ "s" + "su" or "Resou" which means "southerners" with the use of the "throw stick" to indicate "foreign southerners"; the same as it is used in the word "Aamu" to indicate "(foreigners)Asiatics"...

:essentially all non-Egyptian peoples in the south; "strangers"
There's one Pharaoh that I came across while reading "Egyptian Language: Easy Lessons in Egyptian Hieroglyphics by EWB". If I recall correctly, the example text was from the "Stelae of Pa-Nahesi" (25th Dynasty?).
I personally think that the title "Pa Nahasi" was a self-deprecating play on words that would imply something like the Pharaoh calling himself "The Barbarian!" or "The Stranger!" - literally it means "The Sudani man". (not "The Nubian")
--Do you think that people will ever grasp the concept that there's a difference between Sudan/Sudanese and Nubia/Nubian. Will they ever come to realize that the Nubians are Egyptians?

Brainwashing is deep isn't it?

Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most words in the Mdw Ntr that began with the letter "n" were written with the hieroglyph of a water ripple; the word "Nhsjw" was written using the 'Guinea-fowl' glyph with the pronunciation being "Nh;Neh;Nah" - very few words began with this 'letter.' -- Wally

^The above is good to know for me, as i've made sure to note that word(s) with good connotations start with that beginning (not to say that this has any meaning as far as Nhhsw goes).

I'll post up when i can..

--------------------
http://iheartguts.com/shop/bmz_cache/7/72e040818e71f04c59d362025adcc5cc.image.300x261.jpg http://www.nastynets.net/www.mousesafari.com/lohan-facial.gif

Posts: 5555 | From: Tha 5th Dimension. | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wally:

quote:

...This translation sounds fishy to me; for one, what king in his right mind will allow himself to be called anything that is synonymous with "worthless", unless this was a "commemorative" title bestowed upon him by a successor who despised him, LOL?

Anyway, as for "Nhsw", going retro, here is a "Nile Valley Forum" recap of an ES discussion...

This guy, sitting at his computer, looking at the image before him
Certainly house-bringing and maturity are not one of your traits, but I hope you are at least capable enough to tell the difference between the act of "seeing clusters of hieroglyphs" in front of one and the act of "translating" these clusters. [Hint: The former doesn't automatically render the latter either "done", or "correct"]

quote:
thinks that somethings fishy!?!
I don't believe I stuttered when I said just that. Needlessly repeating after me like a parrot, suggests you are grappling with comprehension; so I ask: What part of it, did you not get?

quote:

A guy who has certainly never heard of Ivan the Terrible (Russia), surely not of AEtheired the Unready (England), of William the Bastard (England)...or maybe he just wants to go fishing...

Well kid, I'm not sure what relevance any of these characters have here, but if they can do what you are not doing right now, which is to answer this...

For one, what king in his right mind will allow himself to be called anything that is synonymous with "worthless", unless this was a "commemorative" title bestowed upon him by a successor who despised him, LOL?

...,then I say by all means, do cite their answers to this question.

quote:

But I Thank him for reminding me of something I posted back in 2005:
(We didn't have the advantage back then of being able to show the actual hieroglyphs from Budge's dictionary...)

Nhsj (Nahasi)- a Sudanese man
Nhsj.t (Nahasit) - a Sudanese woman
Nhsjw (Nahasou)- Sudanese; southerners in general
Nhsjw (Nahasou)- The Sudanese tribes in the Tuat, the results of the masturbation of Ra.

The way it's written

Most words in the Mdw Ntr that began with the letter "n" were written with the hieroglyph of a water ripple; the word "Nhsjw" was written using the 'Guinea-fowl' glyph with the pronunciation being "Nh;Neh;Nah" - very few words began with this 'letter.'

verifying rasol's correct analysis

In Budge's dictionary, alongside the word "Nehsi" there are additional hieroglyphics showing the different ways of writing the "Nehsi" in the plural. What interests us here is the following example:
Hieroglyphic:
(throw stick)+ s + (sedge plant) + "ou"

--The "throw stick" can be either a determinative; an ideogram; or a phonogram "rs" or "Aa"; at the beginning of a sentence it's a phonogram (and probably also an ideogram which indicates "foreign".)

--The "sedge" hieroglyph ("(n)su; sut") indicates the south; ie;Upper Egypt, Sudan...
So we have "rs"+ "s" + "su" or "Resou" which means "southerners" with the use of the "throw stick" to indicate "foreign southerners"; the same as it is used in the word "Aamu" to indicate "(foreigners)Asiatics"...

:essentially all non-Egyptian peoples in the south; "strangers"
There's one Pharaoh that I came across while reading "Egyptian Language: Easy Lessons in Egyptian Hieroglyphics by EWB". If I recall correctly, the example text was from the "Stelae of Pa-Nahesi" (25th Dynasty?).
I personally think that the title "Pa Nahasi" was a self-deprecating play on words that would imply something like the Pharaoh calling himself "The Barbarian!" or "The Stranger!" - literally it means "The Sudani man". (not "The Nubian")
--Do you think that people will ever grasp the concept that there's a difference between Sudan/Sudanese and Nubia/Nubian. Will they ever come to realize that the Nubians are Egyptians?

Brainwashing is deep isn't it?

While we are at your thanking me for jogging your memory, I think a thank you is also in order, for reinforcing the fact that "your" translation of the term is far from being proven or established to be correct; in fact, as this older post shows, as your topic-opener does as well, your translation "citations" are at odds with your "own" personal one, for which you don't seem to have an answer, when you are asked simple questions.

And oh, if you are going to reply like a kid again, without addressing the question, then my suggestion is: don't bother. [Wink]

Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

quote:

-

Furthermore, it is simplistic to take "Nehesw" as "stranger", for if that were the case, there would be no need for a determinative/ideogram suggestive of "foreigner" in say, the first cartouche. That determinative is there, precisely to modify the meaning of the noun in question.

And like I said some time ago, one of the reasons for posting a link to the older discussion, "Nehesw" seemed particularly reserved for groups from beyond Kemet's southern border; it wasn't applied to those in their east, north or west, as far as I recall. Thus Nehesw has got to be more than a synonym for "stranger", or its Greek equivalent of "barbarian" which is not reserved for any one group or territory, as the former appears to be.

As for the equation of the term with "worthlessness", well, a question had already been posed on that, awaiting a grown-up answer that is a 'sequitur'...

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Whatbox:

...^The above is good to know for me, as i've made sure to note that word(s) with good connotations start with that beginning (not to say that this has any meaning as far as Nhhsw goes)...

...it does...
Neh; and most of the few words in the Mtau Ntr which uses it at the beginning of a sentence

-

neh - to ask, petition, request, pray for, beseech, supplicate
nehi - peasant, suppliant
neheh - to beseech
neh.t - supplication, request, entreaty, prayer, invocation; nehti - petition
nahti - faith, belief
Neh - the Guinea fowl; Nehwer - the great Neh
neh - oil, unguent
Neh - the name of a god
Nehit - the mother of the gods in the boat of Re
eneh - eternity, forever
Eneh - god of eternity
nahbe - neck
nouheb - to yoke cattle or horses, to conquer or be entrusted with something
nouhebka - to yoke the ka
noheb; nahb - plough ox
nehb.t - name of a ceremonial sceptre
nehpi - potter, modeller
Nahasi - he of the Sudan, a Sudani
Nahasit - title of the Sudani Hathor
and a few (c3, 4) other words meaning to be restless, rouse onself, put on clothes...

Now let us look, again, at our principal word...

Nahasi - examining its meaning...

-

Now, note the presence of the ideograms "Su" and "foreign" within the name...

South, Sudan

-

Foreign

-

This establishes the "Nahasu" as a) Sudanese, the land from whence came the institution of kingship of the Pharaohs and b) they were distinguished as foreign, non-national peoples.

...and Foreign means...
quote:

Foreign: alien, alienated, antipodal, barbarian, barbaric, borrowed, different, distant, exotic, expatriate, external, extraneous, extrinsic, far, far-fetched, faraway, immigrant, imported, inaccessible, offshore, outlandish, outside, overseas, remote, strange, unaccustomed, unexplored, unfamiliar, unknown, adopted, derived, estranged, exiled, extralocal, far-off, from abroad, nonnative, nonresident, not domestic, not native, transoceanic ...

TheAmericanPatriot
Member # 15824

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheAmericanPatriot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope you are doing better with this than you did with Kemet. More Wallyisms.
Posts: 2069 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And we hope you're doing better with this than did you with Kemet. [Smile] More Wally schooling indeed.

Wally wrote

quote:
Well, while from Budge's A. E. Hieroglyphic Dictionary Vol. II in my notes i jotted down the glyphs for 3 words with a similar beginning. Naqi and Nasht have at least the 'n' and 'a' bird for the "glottal" Arabic like 'a' stop (the '3'), and correspond to 'exalted/great' and 'strength', respectively, while Nahsha is complete with the strong sounding 'h' uniliteral and means "seed or grain used in medicine".

And .. I didn't notice this when i jotted this down years ago, being ignorant about the basics of heiroglyphs, but in Budges two examples of "Nahsu", "the Blacks of the Sudan", the second is written entirely in uniliterals with a single biliteral while the first is written both the determinative for foreigner and for enemy -- which implies that my past use of N3hsu was incorrect.

From these writings it would appear to me that Nahsu were Southerners not seen as part of Km.t nwt. Then again maybe Nahsw were.

From at least one tomb we do know that Southerners as well as Western desert groups were part of Km.t nwt at at least one point in time.

Also, i've read that at times even some rm.tyw were enemies of km.t - so maybe i'm answering my own questions (looking back on these old notes i almost couldn't find has my mind flowing).

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll never really know what nHs means because it's
a solo root. It goes back to the Old Kingdom where
it was spelled  - as well as with the guinea fowl
multi-literal phonogram accompanied by the twisted
cord as a silent phonetic complement. So the guinea
fowl glyph isn't a single alphabetic character phonogram
only to replace the wavy line glyph for 'n.'

One other AEL word hash the root nHs. It bears the
meaning of 'sting' as in an insect bite. But this word
appears in the New Kingdom vocabulary.

[The Hebrews wrote of Kesh as "the land buzzing with
wings" in reference to the prominence of flying insects
there. This is no proof that the folk south of Elephantine
were associated with bug bites. [Wink] ]

In the past I took 'southerner' as the meaning for nHs
because practically all the people known to be nHsw
resided south of taShemaw (Upper Egypt). Though this
is the actual sense of the word it's not its meaning. It's
just a good interpretation but no AEL word for south has
nHs in it.

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adira and Marra
Member # 15917

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Adira and Marra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ of course of course! [Big Grin]
Posts: 525 | From: Terra | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to claify

quote:
the 'n' and 'a' bird
Didn't mean to imply Budge had any "'n' and 'a' bird" -glyph, err, at least from my notes he had the n moniliteral (the wavy line glyph) followed by the a moniliteral "guinea bird" as Wally calls it.

[Big Grin] Me and my wordings..

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guinea fowl isn't a monoliteral.
It's the biliteral nH.
The guinea fowl replaces
wavy line (n) + twisted cord (H)
as one complete biliteral syllable.

When 'wavy line' (n) precedes 'guinea fowl' (nH)
it's only there as a silent complement
of the initial (n) letter sound of 'guinea fowl' (nH).

When 'twisted cord' (H) follows 'guinea fowl' (nH)
it's there only as a silent complement
of the terminal (H) letter sound of 'guinea fowl' (nH).

In writing, silent complements are a cue so
the accompanying pictogram isn't mistaken
as the depicted object itself, just its sound.

quote:
Just to claify

quote:
the 'n' and 'a' bird
Didn't mean to imply Budge had any "'n' and 'a' bird" -glyph, err, at least from my notes he had the n moniliteral (the wavy line glyph) followed by the a moniliteral "guinea bird" as Wally calls it.

[Big Grin] Me and my wordings..

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, i should have caught that especially having just followed Wally's posted illustratrions

-

quote:
check out the "slave woman; negress" word devoid of glyphs for slave or black.

On second thought I wonder what could give the connotation of slave or servant there.

The 'Y' glyph - the double knives centered in each of the particular words - according to a reference of mine are a monoliteral, but this is the same reference that says the guinea fowl glyph is an 'a' monoliteral.

That said they are familiar to me in the form of "complete works" and "kemetian books" but are also found in "great, exalted (ones?)" (naqi) and are absent from "property of".

quote:
- Wally

Interestingly enough Budge has down this word beginning with the glyphs for Kem followed by another 'm' (another owl), followed by the knife and spiral glyphs, capped off with the 'nwt' pictogram determinative for village/city. When paired with thw nH term - 'n' wavy line and 'nH' fowl glyphs - it means "Egyptians".

Also, perhaps this is the wrong thread but i chuckle wondering what Budge may have pondered considering that the word "Km" = "to behave correctly" when written with only the glyphs for "black" plus the determinative of a man sitting upright. It's written as follows: "Km" + the glyph of a man kneeling with his hand up near his face as if he could be thinking, speaking or eating.

Wow:

quote:
Originally posted by Whatbox: From these writings it would appear to me that Nahsu were Southerners not seen as part of Km.t nwt. Then again maybe Nahsw were.

Correction [Big Grin]

From these writings it would appear to me that Nahsu [might have stood for only the Southerners that] were not seen as part of Km.t-nw. Then again maybe [some] "Nhsw" were [part of Kmt nwt at the same time].

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Gentlemen, please, let us not complicate something which is plain, simple, and right before our very eyes. But you know what, I don't think the problem here is wrestling with the Mtau Nter (note my constant refinement of 'Mdu Ntr'... [Smile] ) so much as wrestling with the English language!

Take the word that is shown in our examples:
Nahasu Thaiu

-

-Thaiu (with the male penis determinative) means 'men & women, virile men...' and survives in Coptic as "Djo" - the "Th", is actually a 't', and is a (Budge) way to distinguish one form of 't' from another...

Thus, the literal translation of "Nahasu Taiu" is, in English, "Sudanese men and women"
- (literal: limited to the explicit meaning of a word)

Budge's translation of the word as "Negro slaves" is obviously incorrect, of course...
- (Translation: the interpretation of the meaning of a word)

Budge's translation of "Nahasu", however, as "Suteni" is precise. I personally cannot recall seeing a word in the Mtau Nter which contained the "su.t" ideogram which did not mean something that was associated with the south or with the Sudan...

The word 'slave' in the Mtau Nter
woui.t - group of serfs, slaves, soldiers ...
ebata - slave, servant
eirou - working men, slaves, servants, doers, those who make
aobt - slave, worker
bak - manservant, slave, workman, laborer...
merou - servants, serfs, vassals, peasants, hereditary servants...
ndjit - female slave
hem - slave

Wrestling with English

The literal meaning of the word "Nahas" in English is "Sudan" and is a synonym of "Suten", but it is also a synonym for other words as well...

Here's what I'm talking about:

a) take the English word "vandalism" - a word that derives from the Vandals, the ancient east Germanic tribe that sacked Rome; they also overran Gaul, Spain, and North Africa (principally northern Tunisia and northeastern Algeria.) Many speculate that the literal translation of Vandal is "Wander", slightly different than its derived meaning, ie "to trash"...

b) now take the word "vulgar" which means "common" and when one is accused of being vulgar, it is a class label, which contrasts with the upper or elite class:
The Anglo-Saxons, and their language, were regarded as vulgar, and thus such Anglo-Saxon terms as f**k, sh*t, f*rt are words of the lower class. Whereas, the Upper Class/elites spoke more "elegantly", using more Latinized words such as copulate, defecate, or "pass gas"...
(This Anglo-Saxon monosyllabic simplification of words is still with us today; people you know who are named "Barbara" are invariably called "Barb", "William" becomes "Bill" and so on...)

Some words, therefore, are given an ideological meaning, especially when they are interpreted by other languages. Thus, you have:

1) Ekush = "border, frontier" in Mtau Nter becomes "kush" = "Negro" in Hebrew
2) Su = "sedge plant" in Mtau Nter becomes "sud" = "Black" in Arabic (sud, s-sud, aswad...)
3) Nahasu = "sutenu" in Mtau Nter becomes "Nahasu" = "Negro" in White Western Egyptology
4) Noubi = "gold worker" in Mtau Nter becomes "Nubian" = "Black" in African-American usage

The way that you literally say "Black" or "Negro" in Mtau Nter is Kememou; Kemou.t; Keme.t (nu.t)...
The literal translation of the Mtau Nter word "Nahasu", in English, is "Sudanese" - who formed part of the Keme.t Niut, but who were also non-Egyptian nationals -foreigners...

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
According to the Book of Gates, the Gate of Teka Hra
vignette 30, KM.t:nwt is composed of rt.RMT and NHHS.w.

This is why t3wy (the Two Lands) is a controversial
term. Which two lands? t3.shmaw (UE) & t3.mehh (LE)
or t3.mri (the Beloved Land) & ksh.x3st (Kush)? And then,
according to who, the RT.RMT or the NHHS.W? And when?

NOTE: would've used t3.nhhsy above except no reliable
translation for nhhsy as I'm wary of using southerner
now as the literal translation.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Whatbox: From these writings it would appear to me that Nahsu were Southerners not seen as part of Km.t nwt. Then again maybe Nahsw were.

Correction [Big Grin]

From these writings it would appear to me that Nahsu [might have stood for only the Southerners that] were not seen as part of Km.t-nw. Then again maybe [some] "Nhsw" were [part of Kmt nwt at the same time].

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:

alTakruri wrote:
... would've used t3.nhhsy above except no reliable
translation for nhhsy as I'm wary of using southerner
now as the literal translation...

Whaaaat????

The literal translation of Nahasu is Sudanese, and the way in which at some occasions it is written to include the ideogram "Su" indicates that the Sudanese were peoples who lived in the south. Nahasu literally does not mean south or southerner!

south, southerner

These are relative terms; if you lived in Chicago, then even someone living in Gary, Indiana a few miles away is south of you and therefore a southerner to you

- the same would be true of someone living in Tupelo, Mississippi

- or in Mexico City, Mexico

and you understand that Mexico is not politically a part of the USA.

By the same token; if you lived in the Egyptian marshlands of the north, those who lived in middle or Upper Egypt were to the south of you, and therefore southerners (resu).

- the same would be true of the Wawat or the Yam folks

and you understand that the Wawat or the Yam were not a part of Kême, sometimes vassal states perhaps, but that was all...

and you also understand that the determinative "Nu.t" was one that also contained a 'progression' of meaning:

Nu/Niu - village, town, community/metropolis, nation, nations

--that the Wawat were members of the Black nations, but NOT members of the Black nation...

The literal translation of "Nahasu", in English, is "Sudanese" - a conglomeration of peoples who were non-Egyptian nationals; foreign Blacks who lived to the south of Kême's borders.

...Understand???

Whatbox
Member # 10819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Whatbox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
By the same token; if you lived in the Egyptian marshlands of the north, those who lived in middle or Upper Egypt were to the south of you, and therefore southerners (resu).
This is how i'd use the English translation of Southerners.

quote:
According to the Book of Gates, the Gate of Teka Hra
vignette 30, KM.t:nwt is composed of rt.RMT and NHHS.w.

Oh yeah, i forgot about that.

The fact that it bluntly read "Nehesu".

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Please provide an example that justifies taking
the last letter of nHs -- 's' -- along with what is
only a suffix denoting plurality -- 'w' -- to arrive
abruptly at a word -- 'su' -- that isn't a plural.

We don't know the precise literal translation for
nHs because it's an unused root in Egyptic with no
other word in the vocabulary associated with it other
than the NK usage -- sting.

rsu is not nHs.w

Medjay lived southeast of AE's southern border.
Tjemehu lived southeast of AE's southern border.
Yet, Medjay were classed nHs.w but Tjemehu weren't.
pWN.t was south of Egypt and was part of t3.NH(+H)s.y{X3ST}
and Punt most certainly isn't Sudan.

As for the delta marshland, Upper Egypt was south
of it but I nowhere find residents of t3.shm`w ever
labeled nHs.w Perhaps you can show us an
instance that fits your Tupelo and Mexico analogies?

The AEs knew of no entity Sudan. So what is your
position now? Sudan or worthless or negro or???

We all very well understand the nHs.w were south
of Egypt. That's why in the past I translated it
southerner basing myself on BG 4:5 vg30 where the
order of non-Egyptians follows the sun's path. It
was a useful translation for meaning but it's not
literally what nHs means.

I'm beginning to think nHs is a root from a non-AEL.

quote:

The literal translation of Nahasu is Sudanese, and the way in which at some occasions it is written to include the ideogram "Su" indicates that the Sudanese were peoples who lived in the south. Nahasu literally does not mean south or southerner!

south, southerner

These are relative terms; if you lived in Chicago, then even someone living in Gary, Indiana a few miles away is south of you and therefore a southerner to you

- the same would be true of someone living in Tupelo, Mississippi

- or in Mexico City, Mexico

and you understand that Mexico is not politically a part of the USA.

. . . .

The literal translation of "Nahasu", in English, is "Sudanese" - a conglomeration of peoples who were non-Egyptian nationals; foreign Blacks who lived to the south of Kême's borders.

...Understand???

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
alTakruri,

My God, I'm over here discussing apples and you're out somewhere discussing grapes! I am almost certain that most people reading my post understood exactly what I was saying, but it is clear that you most certainly didn't!

quote:

Please provide an example that justifies taking
the last letter of nHs -- 's' -- along with what is
only a suffix denoting plurality -- 'w' -- to arrive
abruptly at a word -- 'su' -- that isn't a plural.

--what acrobatics got you to this misunderstanding? The word, I imagine, that is in question is the one that is written N.s.s.j.w - the second "s" is an "s" but it is written using the "s" from the sedge plant; this is the scribe telling us that we're talking about a southern people; he could have used the other forms of "s" but... - the "w", the ubiquitous quail chick is the plural "ou" or "u" - the word is "Nahas.ou"

quote:

We don't know the precise literal translation for
nHs because it's an unused root in Egyptic with no
other word in the vocabulary associated with it other
than the NK usage -- sting.

No, you don't know the literal translation of the word, but Budge does, Erman does, I does...

quote:

rsu is not nHs.w

How did you get here??? Your confusion is confusing the hell out of me, for sure. [Confused]

Now,
res = south
resu = southerners
Nahasu = Suteni (you know, Sudanese)
The Nahasu therefore, are also resu...

quote:

Medjay lived southeast of AE's southern border.
Tjemehu lived southeast of AE's southern border.
Yet, Medjay were classed nHs.w but Tjemehu weren't.
pWN.t was south of Egypt and was part of t3.NH(+H)s.y{X3ST}
and Punt most certainly isn't Sudan.

...meeting you as you arrive from circling the barn; Pwoni.t was most certainly a part of the Sudan; I don't recall whether it was Budge or Breasted who informed us that Punt and Nubia were always associated, connected & also Sudanese in the exact same manner that ancient Mali, Songhai, Ghana, etc., were Sudanese civilizations...

quote:

As for the delta marshland, Upper Egypt was south
of it but I nowhere find residents of t3.shm`w ever
labeled nHs.w Perhaps you can show us an
instance that fits your Tupelo and Mexico analogies?

If you didn't get it the first time, I doubt that any re-explaining would do any good, especially since you insist on distorting things...but, what the hey!...

Ta Shemou = land.south.peoples and referred to Egyptian nationals residing in the Nile Valley proper.

Nahasu = Suten.peoples and referred to non-nationals living on the nation's southern borders...

An American knows that someone who lives in Tupelo, Mississippi is living in America, probably an American, and that someone living in Mexico City, Mexico is probably Mexican...
...and I'm not going to try anymore to simplify something that is already simple to understand...

quote:

The AEs knew of no entity Sudan. So what is your
position now? Sudan or worthless or negro or???

Whether you choose to accept it or not, the very name Sudan derives from "Suten" It was part of their language and of course, a part of their geographical knowledge - and your insistence of reducing a word to an absolute is both astounding as well as frustrating in a conversation:

Sudan/Suten - 'those who are of the Sedge plant - country' , "those who are of the King's country", foreigners; thus barbarians and worthless, King, King of the South,...

quote:

We all very well understand the nHs.w were south
of Egypt. That's why in the past I translated it
southerner basing myself on BG 4:5 vg30 where the
order of non-Egyptians follows the sun's path. It
was a useful translation for meaning but it's not
literally what nHs means.
I'm beginning to think nHs is a root from a non-AEL.

The root of the word is "Neh" or "Nah" which is the name of an Egyptian bird, which I call "Guinea fowl", which I recall I got from Gardiner in his book on "Middle Egyptian"

The strongest use of this word is:
"eNeh" for eternity, forever and ever...

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
You can skip the cutsie colloquialisms. They
only make you less credible than already.
I understood you very well, well enough to
disagree with you, and I stand firm in that.

We're not talking fruits here so wise up.
What you clearly don't understand is that
this discussion is a about a word nHs. We
know the people that word applied to lived
south of Egypt. That fact is not enough to
make the word mean south.

To embroider your analogy, people from
Mississippi are southerners and people
in Mexico reside south of the USA but
neither the word Mississippi nor Mexico
mean south.

Your argument hangs on some other word. This word
 - is a word which in no way contains nHs.w
or sounds like nHs.w. You may be able to fool those
who can't read hieroglyphics that this word is nHs.w
but you can't fool yourself and I can't guess why you'd
want to deceive others.

The throwstick glyph is neither the sound nH which is the
first syllable of the root nHs. Nor does the throwstick
stand for the letter 'n' as you intentionally misrepresent.

This word indeed means southerners and Budge included
it in his Nehhsi list trusting readers to see his P.S.B.A.
19, 262 reference for further understanding.

We also clearly understand this word is not N.s.s.j.w
 - examined glyph by glyph:
throwstick - (beligerent?) foreigner logogram; unpronounced determinative
folded cloth - uniliteral 's;' unpronounced phonetic complement
bullrush - biliteral 'sw,' south (king)
feather - uniliteral 'y,' possessive
chick - uniliteral 'w,' plural
seated man - people logogram; unpronounced determinative
strokes - plural logogram; unpronounced determinative

- is simply SU.y.w in pronunciation.
In Budge's context it means 'ones of the south'

NOTE: nH [guinea fowl glyph] is not the root of nHS.
nHs is a root. nH is its first syllable. s its second
syllable.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
You know full well you wrote Sudan, meaning the area
of what's now the nation state Sudan. You didn't mean
the Sudan, i.e., the entire swath of the African continent
known as the greater Sahel.

Punt was not in Sudan. Apparently it was Eritrea.
Now, go ahead and make Sudanis out of Eritreans.

rasol
Member # 4592

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rasol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Actually I agree with Wally that what was known as Punt could have been in part, in what is now Sudan, as is suggested in Oxford History of Egypt, amongst other places.

Furthermore, modern attempts to classify flora and fauna suggests that Punt may have been located in the southern Sudan or the Eritrean region of Ethiopia.

http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/punt.htm

Posts: 15202 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
You must mean NNE Sudan. Everywhere else in Sudan is landlocked.
Do you have a page number from the Oxford History to back up your
bolded sentence?

Anyway, Wally on Punt's location:
quote:

The Land of Punt (Cradle of the Egyptian race)

The "country" of Punt was actually a region, the same region that the Ancient Egyptians referred to as "Ta Nter" or "God's Land," or quite simply the "country" of Eastern Africa, reaching as far south as Mozambique. There are Ancient Egyptian reports of their obtaining antimony in Punt, which was not produced in the Horn of Africa, but in Mozambique. (It may be noted also that "Pwani" is a Swahili word meaning "the seaside").

The Somali coast was merely a "stepping-off" point for any journey into the African interior. The products of Punt were the products of this entire East African region which, in part, explains their diversity. There exists today, however, the region of Puntland, in modern Somalia.

Pwonit;P_ounit
This word in the Mdu Ntr means "the country of the first existence" and is merely a complimentary expression for "God's Land", or the original home of the gods (ie, the ancestors).

This region was also associated with the "Nubia" of the contemporary usage:
quote:

-after inspecting the results of her (Hatshepsut) expedition, the queen
immediately presented a portion of them to Amon, together with the impost of Nubia, with which Punt was always classed.
J.H. Breasted, A History Of Egypt, Part 1, pp274-277

To the Ancient Egyptians this region;"country of the first existence"; "country of our ancestors", etc) was East Africa, or quite simply, Africa. "Ta Nter," "Punt," "Iau" are all synonyms for the same neighborhood. It wasn't a nation...
from the threadnorthern Eritrea/Ethiopia and east-north-east Sudan location of Punt
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:

................  - examined glyph by glyph:
throwstick - (beligerent?) foreigner logogram; unpronounced determinative..............

Man, you write long and you also write wrong!

the first letter of the sign you referrence absolutely does have a phonetic value and that value is "k" . thus "k.s.s.j. w" or in English, Kassou - which Budge clearly indicates by his inclusion under the main word "Nahasu" as being a synonym - by the way "Kas" is the same as "Kash"; "Kush", "Ekush"....and in the dictionary; p 790;

kash a product of Punt, the pearl oyster (?)

Kashi - Nubian, a Sudani man; Coptic: ekoosh, ethoshi

Kashit - Nubian woman; Coptic: ekooshe, ethoshi

You can ride them horses around in a circle for as long as you like but the reality remains - reality: Kassou, Kashou, Kushou, Ekushou, Ethoshou, Nahasou are all synonyms...

[Cool]

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
And you write wishy washy. Which is it Wally?
Is it n.s.s.j.w as you originally stated or is it
k.s.s.j.w as you now pedal? If the latter then
why did you post the former? And do you really
expect anyone even slightly familiar with mdw ntr
to believe the throwstick at the beginning of a
geo-ethnic descriptor is the pronounceable letter
k? Tell that to all the scribes who prefixed the
ancient Libyans name with it.

You have no idea of the actual word  -
meaning. That's why you shift goalposts bringing
up synonyms instead of detailing the one word
which is the subject of your thread, Nahasou.

But I can understand your incoherency since you've
been dragged on the ground by horses or is it the
merry-go-round that's got you dizzy.

Oh, do you think you can write a little more academically?
I find these ad homonem sophmoric and tire of returning
in kind. If you persist in using them I'll take it as a sign
you have no sober discussion and will ignore the entire
post containing them (of course you'd like that as it'd
eliminate opposition to your ideaology).

Now if you can't behave as you would discussing things
in class on campus then what you have to say is quite
trite, simple, and below notice.

Discuss the topic, I don't need your opinion of me.

The word remains exactly as I broke it down.

In Budge's context it means 'ones of the south.'

quote:
The word, I imagine, that is in question is the one that is written N.s.s.j.w -

quote:
the first letter of the sign you referrence absolutely does have a phonetic value and that value is "k" . thus "k.s.s.j. w" or in English, Kassou

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Let's see what Budge actually says about the throwstick:
 -
 -

E.A.W. Budge

Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary

A List of Hieroglyphic Characters
London: 1920, p. cxxxvii

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
I guess that I don't take myself so seriously as you take yourself. Unraveling these long buried facts are just plain fun to me and I only take what I find that is serious....You need to lighten up a bit - one can be professorial and still possess a sense of humour and actually exhibit it. I really got a kick out of the humerous 'smiley' posts by Djehuti in his rebuttles to the looneys on board...

But...here's Budge's take on the phonetic use of the 'boomerang, what he really had to say:

-

-

-

-

Now, Allen in his Middle Egyptian dictionary, while listing all determinatives and ideograms of this glyph, points out that also it has a phonetic value in such words as Owt/Awt for 'Flocks'

-

These phonetic differences, if that's really what they are, are similar in nature to the use of the 'mouth' glyph - "r" in Sahidic and "l" in Boharic for the same word...

--flock in Amharic is ajäb
--to find in Amharic is agänyä

but in Egyptian;

kau; kau.ta = bulls (gods)
ka = cow
kau.t = cattle
kaui.t = cows

Perhaps the Owt was placed in that listing because perhaps the scribe was describing a flock/herd of cattle and this word would be
"kau.t"...

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with Explorer in that this is more than just 'fishy'. It's funny how all of the examples Wally gives of rulers having demeaning names or titles come from Medieval Europe. medieval Europe and ancient Africa are two entirely different regions, times, and cultures.

We know that in African culture even today, but certainly in the past, names are considered sacred and spiritual aspects of a person. Even a commoner would not have name that is negative or demeaning to oneself let a lone a god-king!!

Posts: 26237 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti wrote:
------------------------------
------------------------------

Why don't you take your lonely uneducated ass back to the other forum and not ruin this one like you have the other one.

This thread has people on both sides trying to be scholarly and intellectual and here you are trying to ruin it. What are you going to do, bring your racist buddies on this forum so you can childishly go back and forth over nothing.

You've reduced the other forum to a nuthouse that no one pays attention to anything that is written there because of you and your missionary "save the negroes" friends, the bottom feeder moron black wannabe scholars, and the loser dead end white racists.

Go away Puppy Chow and get a job or sign up for school somewhere so you don't have to continue to obsess a continent of people you have nothing to do with.

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
I'm not to fool around Africana is a sober matter
that's been made silly by the world for too long.
So get serious, clowning has dulled your wit a bit.

K ≠ Q. The sounds are produced from two different
places. When a Q is written as K, that K needs a
diacritic dot underneath it.

You're spinning madly on this. First you make the
throwstick into an N. Then you make it into a K.
Now it's a Q and some kind of A. What a useless
alphabetic if all this were true. Here's what's true

-
 -

And why all this run around? To escape this fact

In Budge's context it means 'ones of the south.'

You tried dodging explaining your previous n.s.s.j.w
to k.s.s.j.w spin and you wisely this time refused to
spell  - (:GA(+s)SW.y.w:sa:|||) with your
new found "phonetic" substitutes, but I'm not letting
you off the hook. Wally, you got some splainin to do!

Stand up and account for this. Which is it Wally?
Is it n.s.s.j.w as you originally stated or is it
k.s.s.j.w as you also pedal? If the latter then
why did you post the former? And do you really
expect anyone even slightly familiar with mdw ntr
to believe the throwstick at the beginning of a
geo-ethnic descriptor is the pronounceable letter
n or k or q or a or ??? You may as well toss in a
T too since the earliest use of the throwstick was
to denote eastern Libyans in the delta.

Don't forget to cite your kassou under its own entry.

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
I doubt nHs bears any meaning related to barbarian
or worthless. Here's why. Look at Weny's list of nHs.w
nationalities.

-

Note his inscribing of nHs  - Do those three
guys forming the plural determinative look like worthless
barbarians to you? To me they have the appearance of
divine royalty.

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
I have to agree with Explorer in that this is more than just 'fishy'. It's funny how all of the examples Wally gives of rulers having demeaning names or titles come from Medieval Europe. medieval Europe and ancient Africa are two entirely different regions, times, and cultures.

We know that in African culture even today, but certainly in the past, names are considered sacred and spiritual aspects of a person. Even a commoner would not have name that is negative or demeaning to oneself let a lone a god-king!!

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ LOL It's just as I thought, then! Obviously Nhsw has no negative connotation in it all if it were to have those regal looking hieroglyphs. In all honesty I did not have much faith in substituting the meaning of Nhsw from "negro" to "worthless" speaking of or worthless...
quote:
gayguy699<==8 scribbled:

(some stupid sh*t as usual)

I can't help but get the feeling part of the reason for your disparaging and dumb response is my comment on your homeland of Europe, ey chap! [Wink]
Posts: 26237 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fellati achawi
Member # 12885

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fellati achawi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nahas in Arabic means "copper"
in arabic nu-haas means copper not nahas
when pronounced nahas it means struggle and hardship. it has thses similiar meanings :
misfortune
bad luck
illness
bumper
It can be used "nahas or nahees min ayaam" meaning the heavy days.
ayaam nahsaat- days of hardship
the arabs would call a cold wind that comes from behind you nhsaa
nahas is also dust or sand
some say nahas is wind with the dust or sand
some say it means extreme coldness
n-haas or n-haasy is also a generous person n-haasat- generous woman
one with good character and spends on the people
ni-haas also means smoke while nu-haas means copper.

nahas is also the word used to describe mars and saturn while s'ad(fortune) is used to describe other than them.

the arabic is very close to the wolof meaning of nehes

--------------------
لا اله الا الله و محمد الرسول الله

Posts: 495 | From: anchorage, alaska | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fellati achawi
Member # 12885

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fellati achawi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yaum nehes also means
very hot day with wind and sandstorms look
 -
nehes also means an overwhelming matter

--------------------

Posts: 495 | From: anchorage, alaska | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fellati achawi
Member # 12885

Rate Member
mehi or mhw in arabic means north and can means things orientated towards the north.

aamu or an-aami means camels,goats,sheep just like the mdu ntr

--------------------

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:

[Roll Eyes] just had to port this one over to here...

--How about Ancient China?

哀 ai "the Lamentable": ZHOU (Lu, Hann), HAN, JIN, TANG, JINN
衝 chong "the Offender": HAN
代 dai "the Dynastical": TANG, MING
度 du "the Careful": SONG
廢 fei "the Deposed", 廢帝 feidi: JIN, LIU-SONG, XIWEI, BEIQI; always translated
共 gong "the Common": ZHOU, error for 恭 gong
簡 jian "the Simple": ZHOU (Qin, Yan), combination 簡文 jianwen: JIN, LIANG
考 kao "the Deceased": ZHOU, combination 考烈 kaolie: (Chu)
匡 kuang "the Corrector": ZHOU
厲 li "the Severe": ZHOU
靈 ling "the Clever": ZHOU, HAN, combination 武靈 wuling: (Zhao)
湣 min "the Confused": (Qi), combination 景湣 jingmin: (Wei)
赧 nan "the Embarrassed": ZHOU.
平 ping "the Appeaser": ZHOU, HAN
仁 ren "the Human": SONG, XIA, YUAN, MING, QING
孺子 ruzi, "the Kid", a person that has no title for ancestor veneration, like 孺子嬰 Ying the Kid, last emperor of the Han. Ying actually also means "baby" or "kid", but it was also a common name during Zhou and Han dynasties.
殤 shang "Young Deceased": HAN
少 shao "the Minor", 少帝 shaodi: HAN, LIU-SONG, TANG; always translated
順 shun "the Obedient": HAN, LIU-SONG, TANG, YUAN, combination 天順 tianshun: YUAN
孝 xiao "the Filal": ZHOU (Qin, Yan), SONG, MING; during Han added to the dynastic title, making combinations like 孝武 xiaowu: JIN, LIU-SONG, BEIWEI, 孝文 xiaowen: BEIWEI, 孝明 xiaoming: BEIWEI, 孝莊 xiaozhuang: BEIWEI, 孝昭 xiaozhao: BEIQI, 孝成 xiaocheng: (Zhao)
玄 xuan "the Mysterious": TANG
幽 you "the Darkened": ZHOU (Chu)
躁 zao "the Hot-tempered" (Qin)
-----

...and, oh yes, the Oromo are not particularly happy with their being called "Galla" by the Amhara - the "Rome na n Rome za Ityopia." They see this appelation as being neither sacred nor spiritual...

AswaniAswad
Member # 16742

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AswaniAswad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nahasi is not of arabic origin and the word for Copper is not of Arabic Origin but Bilen it came to the Arabic threw Abyssinian and they got it from the kushitic natives that were already there. Even in Nara Nahasi means cultivators.

I have used the throw sticks of the Tigre,Beja(hedareb)

Here is a video that shows u the throwsticks of the Tigre, and Beja who are the same people of
eritrea

http://www.eastafro.com/Movie/BetMienarish.html

Posts: 410 | From: Al-Ard | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Interesting. So you suggest that the word Nhsi means 'cultivators' then and doesn't have to do with 'copper' or metallurgy??

By the way, the Egyptians also used throwing sticks:

-

-

-

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

孺子 ruzi, "the Kid", a person that has no title for ancestor veneration, like 孺子嬰 Ying the Kid, last emperor of the Han. Ying actually also means "baby" or "kid", but it was also a common name during Zhou and Han dynasties.
孝 xiao "the Filal": ZHOU (Qin, Yan), SONG, MING; during Han added to the dynastic title, making combinations like 孝武 xiaowu: JIN, LIU-SONG, BEIWEI, 孝文 xiaowen: BEIWEI, 孝明 xiaoming: BEIWEI, 孝莊 xiaozhuang: BEIWEI, 孝昭 xiaozhao: BEIQI, 孝成 xiaocheng: (Zhao)
-----

And yet I see NO Chinese having a disparaging name like "barbarian" or even "worthless".

quote:
...and, oh yes, the Oromo are not particularly happy with their being called "Galla" by the Amhara - the "Rome na n Rome za Ityopia." They see this appelation as being neither sacred nor spiritual...
Yes and I can't imagine why any Egypian ruler would have an appelation for "worthless" either. [Embarrassed]
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

-----

And yet I see NO Chinese having a disparaging name like "barbarian" or even "worthless".

quote:
Yes and I can't imagine why any Egypian ruler would have an appelation for "worthless" either. [Embarrassed]

Alas, here we go again...in the long drawn-out and now pointless discussion on the "Egypitan origin of the Fulani," I attempted, in vain to explain the various usages in English of the term "origin" , but as understanding this would make further discussion either moot or pointing in a different direction of discourse-- and here, again, we encounter an uncanny lack of knowledge of the use of the English language - in this case the usage of Imperial titles in Chinese which, along with the examples of European titles illustrates the fact that many of these Royal titles were not pompous at all, to the contrary...

Elementary English Grammar 101

Synonym: –noun
1. a word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another in the language, as joyful, elated, glad.
2. a word or expression accepted as another name for something, as Arcadia for pastoral simplicity; metonym.
Yet, Djehuti says that Chinese names such as "the lamentable" or "the confused" or "the common" are not disparaging names like "barbarian" or even "worthless". sure...
[Roll Eyes]

lamentable: ...awful, bad, deplorable, dirty, pitiful, poor ...

worthless: ... abject, barren, base, bogus, good-for-nothing, poor...

confused: ...addled, befuddled, fouled up, glassy-eyed, unscrewed...

barbarian: ... boorish, brutal, coarse, cruel, lowbrow, merciless, uncivilized...

common : ... colloquial, conventional, hackneyed, homely, mediocre, stale, worn-out...

...And...

Nahasi; PaNahasi does NOT mean 'worthless; the worthless' ; it means "Sudani;The Sudani"...

A Sudani in Kame is a foreigner:

Foreign:... alien, barbarian, expatriate, immigrant, nonnative, strange...

Foreigner:...alien, fresh off the boat, greenhorn, immigrant, stranger...

[Cool]

Please call me MIDOGBE
Member # 9216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Please call me MIDOGBE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we got a possible answer here:
http://thenile.phpbb-host.com/ftopic39.php

Posts: 307 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Please call me MIDOGBE:

With all due respect, are you simply giving advertisement to an excellent forum "the nile valley" because it (Nhsw topic) is but a variation on what is being discussed here. Again, with all due respect - I have already given the answer to the meaning of the term "Nahasou" which, I think, is easily grasped by the functionally literate in the English language; [Smile] but for those who are not:
The following are terms (ie, synonyms) used to designate Southerners/Sudani in Ancient Egyptian:

Nahasou

Kenus

Kashi

Kashit

Ekosh

Ethosh

Ekooshe

Ethoshi

Stiu (Bowmen: Asiatics and Sudani)

Khentiu (Leaders, Founders, ...)

Khentiu Hon Nefer (ie, "Founders of the Perfect Order").

Resiu (Southerners )

TaSti (Land of the Bow(men)); TaStiu

===
Still don't get it?
Compare the two terms used by an Ethiopian ethnic group to self-describe themselves:

Oromo - the Powerful
Galla - the Strangers; ie, *Kafirs, polluted..."

Still don't get it? Sorry... [Confused]

*NOTE: Kafir = One who does not follow the Prophet Muhammad or the Qur'an

Please call me MIDOGBE
Member # 9216

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Please call me MIDOGBE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wally,

I am indeed encouraging serious posters interested in African studies to leave Egyptsearch and start posting on the thenilevalleyforums or elsewhere, not for mercantile purposes, since I am not the owner of the page, nor that I get anything in return from this page, but because Egyptsearch has not been made for us nor by us, is hardly ever moderated, leading to random thread deletion (including posts I put a lot of my own time for, gathering information and posting it on here), random insults, 40+ pages nonsense debates as well as homosexual and coprophile material instigated by posters just coming on here to start trouble
leading me not to post anything significant on here.

Coming back to the topic, perhaps you could go back to the last post of my cited thread, which contains material that have not been discussed in this very thread nor elsewhere and discuss my argumentation. I believe I very well understand your argumentation, which I however do not consider as a "demonstration", since I do not see any internal Kemetic grammatical evidence demonstrating your connection between nḥj and nḥsj, not any phonological set of examples illustrating your connection with Wolof nahas.
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Please call me MIDOGBE:

With all due respect, are you simply giving advertisement to an excellent forum "the nile valley" because it (Nhsw topic) is but a variation on what is being discussed here. Again, with all due respect - I have already given the answer to the meaning of the term "Nahasou" which, I think, is easily grasped by the functionally literate in the English language; [Smile] but for those who are not:
The following are terms (ie, synonyms) used to designate Southerners/Sudani in Ancient Egyptian:

Nahasou

Kenus

Kashi

Kashit

Ekosh

Ethosh

Ekooshe

Ethoshi

Resiu (Southerners )

===
Still don't get it?
Compare the two terms used by an Ethiopian ethnic group to self-describe themselves:

Oromo - the Powerful
Galla - the Strangers; ie, *Kafirs, polluted..."

Still don't get it? Sorry... [Confused]

*NOTE: Kafir = One who does not follow the Prophet Muhammad or the Qur'an

Posts: 307 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
...Don't really know how much has one got to see in order for one to see...

Euphemisms for Suteni/Sudeni :

nhsj = "Nubian" - according to "Middle Egyptian" by James P. Allen

nHsj - Nehesi ("The Black One"). This name may perhaps refer to the ethnical origin of this king. ( this laugher from "The Ancient Egypt Site" - but we get the idea for the inaccurate translation...)

quote:
Diop gives the word Nahas (barbarian) and Nahasiou (barbarians) as 'the term by which the Egyptians designated the Nubians and other Blacks of Africa'
-- from Re-inventing Africa: matriarchy, religion, and culture By Ifi Amadiume

page 282 - Notes: The African Origin of Civilization
quote:

18: Nahas: "good-for-nothing" in Wolof

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
...and from Erman's Egyptian Grammar:

"The boundary is erected in order that no negro at all would overstep it"
"r tm rdi sn sw nhsi nb"

but we here, know better don't we; to say "The boundary is erected in order that no negro at all would overstep it" in Ancient Egyptian properly we would say: "r tm rdi sn sw kemi nb"

We can immediately see the distortion of Egyptian ideology; but the reality is:

a} Rome.tn na Rome - "We Men above Men" -the Egyptians - who stood above;

b) Nahasou - "other Blacks; Sudanese" who were 'barbarians' vis-a-vis the Rome.tn na Rome...

c) ...the rest of humanity

You know, just like later on in Ancient Greece, to which of course, no one even raises an eyebrow...

alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
The word classifying non-Egyptians is hh3s.t.yw.

Unlike nhhsw, which is applicable only to those living
upriver, hh3styw is the rough equivalent of barbarian,
i.e., outlander.

quote:
quote:

-

Furthermore, it is simplistic to take "Nehesw" as "stranger", for if that were the case, there would be no need for a determinative/ideogram suggestive of "foreigner" in say, the first cartouche. That determinative is there, precisely to modify the meaning of the noun in question.

And like I said some time ago, one of the reasons for posting a link to the older discussion, "Nehesw" seemed particularly reserved for groups from beyond Kemet's southern border; it wasn't applied to those in their east, north or west, as far as I recall. Thus Nehesw has got to be more than a synonym for "stranger", or its Greek equivalent of "barbarian" which is not reserved for any one group or territory, as the former appears to be.

As for the equation of the term with "worthlessness", well, a question had already been posed on that, awaiting a grown-up answer that is a 'sequitur'...

Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
...Budge, Page 344

-

...like I said...
quote:

Nahasou

Kenus

Kashi

Kashit

Ekosh

Ethosh

Ekooshe

Ethoshi

Resiu (Southerners )

[Cool]
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
quote:

alTakruri wrote:
The word classifying non-Egyptians is hh3s.t.yw.
Unlike nhhsw, which is applicable only to those living
upriver, hh3styw is the rough equivalent of barbarian,
i.e., outlander.

...Not quite right...

-

...also...
Aku = foreigner, non-Egyptian in Egyptian and in Wolof

also you have 'Foinekhu' and....

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com