EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Insluting the gods

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Insluting the gods
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Egyptians (some of them) insulted Horus claiming he has "broken eye", and Isis claiming she has no "vagina".

What is the explanation?

Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wally
Member # 2936

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wally   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mazigh:
The Egyptians (some of them) insulted Horus claiming he has "broken eye", and Isis claiming she has no "vagina".

What is the explanation?

More importantly, what is/are your source(s)?
Posts: 3344 | From: Berkeley | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mazigh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no real source. I just heart of it. Maybe, you're more able to search it.
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mazigh, the benchmark of good scholarship is knowing your sources. You make yourself look bad when you donot carefully analyze material you reserch. Where did you come across such claims? Are you simply making things up based on ancedotal evidence?
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
I heart in interview with an egyptologist (or archeologist).

The egyptologist/archeologist said that it mirrors the différences of cultures. But, since i couldn't find something on google,
I'll re-hear it [Smile]

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have the sam of the Egyptologist/archaeologist?
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
I will give you his name, and speciality after reviewing it. Now, i don't know it anymore, sorry.
alDahomeyi
Member # 17554

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alDahomeyi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^
Although likely not safe for work, you may be interested in the following thread (especially in Sam P's post):
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005482;p=1#000023

Posts: 5 | From: Sultanate of Savalou | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sam p
Member # 11774

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sam p     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alDahomeyi:
^^
Although likely not safe for work, you may be interested in the following thread (especially in Sam P's post):
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=005482;p=1#000023

Thanks for remembering it.

My thinking has changed a little since that time but it is basically the same.

There's really a few other utterances in the Pyramid Texts that might be taken as insulting to the Gods. Perhaps though one of the most relevent passages is this;

1322a. Each god who constructs not a stairway for N.,
1322b. when he ascends and lifts himself to the sky,
1322c. he shall have no pḳ-cake, he shall have no shade,

1323a. he shall not wash himself in the ḫȝw-bowl,
1323b. he shall not smell (taste) a leg (of meat); he shall not pass a cutlet (over the mouth) (i.e., he shall not taste a cutlet),
1323c. the earth shall not be hoed for him; the wdn.t-offerings shall not be made for him,
1323d. when this N. ascends and lifts himself to the sky.

1324a. It is certainly not N. who says that against you, O gods;
1324b. it is magic which says that against you, O gods.
1324c. N. belongs to a region under magic.

I believe this says that Gods who don't build a pyramid for the dead king in a "region of magic" will suffer the consequences. Neither the author nor the dead king cause these consequences but the magic itself.

Of course after "swallowing the eye of Horus" Set is condemned to swimming under Osiris forever. I believe this refers to infrastructure damage which results in Set's water being diverted to Osiris.

This one is rather enigmatic but a variation on a theme;

1328c. His mother Nut has punished him who shines on her forehead.

51a. Osiris N., take to thyself the eye of Horus, on account of which he was punished. Śft-oil.

1701c. N. is freed from the evil gods;
1701d. N. is not given to the evil gods.

This might be the one mentioned in the original post;

1927C + 3 (Nt. 753). Behold, their evil (?) goes forth like Set.
1927c + 4 (Nt. 753-754). He did thee damage, in thine eyes.

I believe it's another reference to swallowing the Eye of Horus. I believe the eyes of Horus were the water collection devices which they used to build. If the pressure was too great it caused it (the "upper eye of Horus" in the "M[].t-wr.t-cow") to collapse and it fell into the lower eye of Horus.

1450b. N. has not swallowed the eye of Horus,
1450c. so that men might say, "he will die for that."

It certainly appears the Gods were not always on the side of man and they often worked at cross purposes. There are really quite a few more references that might be included but these are some of the more direct ones.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/pyt/

Posts: 393 | From: NW Indiana, US of A | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Do you have the sam of the Egyptologist/archaeologist?

It is this: Nabil Swelim (egyptologist and Pyramids researcher):
http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/pyramids_of_egypt/nabil_swelim.php

Mazigh
Member # 8621

Rate Member
Can it be that those deities Horus and Isis were not National deities?

Read also my topic:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=002866

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com