EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » I've written a short story about predynastic Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I've written a short story about predynastic Egypt
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's 6,875 words long and takes place around 4000 BC. It's a coming-of-age story about a 12-year-old boy who has been newly initiated into manhood. I've already sent it to Charles R. Saunders, author of the Imaro books, for review (yes, he agreed to review it for me). Hopefully I'll make it good enough to be published.

And yes, the Egyptians in the story are described as black (dark mahogany brown-skinned to be specific).

Posts: 7096 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Good luck with it. I hope it gives a more intimate look at life at that time without the Romanticism that plagues Western portrayals of ancient Egypt. I hope you mix what is known from the archaeology with lifestyles of modern Nilotic African people.
Posts: 26316 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good job.

Just to update, I finised my story involving ancient Egypt some time ago. I'm in the process of translating it to English, after I had two writers have a peek at it, and getting positive reactions. I'm planning to have it evaluated professionally by film producers the coming summer vacation when I will be in the US.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ Good luck with it. I hope it gives a more intimate look at life at that time without the Romanticism that plagues Western portrayals of ancient Egypt. I hope you mix what is known from the archaeology with lifestyles of modern Nilotic African people.

I did draw inspiration from Nilotic peoples (the story opens with an initiation rite loosely based on a Dinka one) and Toby Wilkinson's Genesis of the Pharaohs. The story is meant to be more or less realistic so there's nothing supernatural like mummies coming to life, curses, magical ankhs or any similar Hollywood bullshit. Nor do I romanticize the culture or lifestyle; major themes of the story are intertribal warfare and survival in the harsh savanna wilderness.

Hey, could you please PM your e-mail address so I can send my story to you in .doc format?

Posts: 7096 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King_Scorpion
Member # 4818

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for King_Scorpion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truthcentric:
It's 6,875 words long and takes place around 4000 BC. It's a coming-of-age story about a 12-year-old boy who has been newly initiated into manhood. I've already sent it to Charles R. Saunders, author of the Imaro books, for review (yes, he agreed to review it for me). Hopefully I'll make it good enough to be published.

And yes, the Egyptians in the story are described
as black (dark mahogany brown-skinned to be specific).

Good luck! I'm a playwright myself currently writing a play about the Mali Empire. It's coming along good...on Act 2 of 3 right now.
Posts: 1219 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Unfortunately Mr. Saunders hasn't given me feedback on my story yet. I presume he's a bit busy with his own stuff.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Saunders has finally responded! He said the story was pretty good and had only one minor suggestion for how it could be improved (which I will take into account once I get home). Now I just have to find a good magazine for publication...

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Calabooz '
Member # 18238

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calabooz '   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^Nice^

--------------------
L Writes:

Posts: 1502 | From: Dies Irae | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com