EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Manilius Astronomica Book IV (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Manilius Astronomica Book IV
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
 -

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Faheemdunkers:
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
Lets see you post on metapedia doing that

Charlie

Click first link. [Wink]

your entry on Charlie bass is not an example.

you're supposed to have black = anybody with dark skin
inc. certain turks, eskimos etc.

and white = anyone with light skin, East Asians with such skin etc

also yellows = Khosians, certain North Africans, some Esat Asians etc.

and to keep that separate from your "Caucasoid" "Negroid"
and "Long hair Loseroid" designations

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lyinass,:

That is not projecting it's showing that the skin tone as indicated by Manilius can be found in many places from the Near East to Central Asia and the Americas.
What is project is assuming extra categories that are not in the translation and making self conceived charts that are not in the text.

I don't know what charts or categories you're talking about, but what YOU show are skin tones of people having NOTHING to do with the indigenous peoples of the places Manilius talks about which are located in the tropics and subtropics. You show strawman pictures of Central/East Asian Turks and Mongols who though dark are much lighter than nigri.

quote:
You attempt to limit 'black' as per Manilius and suggest he goes beyond skin color and limits to only specific ethnicities he mentions for reasons other than skin color, a person who had a similar skin tone to an Egyptian or Maure would not have a similar skin tone to an Egyptian or Maure because they they are not from a region that he specifically mentioned.
You are attempting to racialize what he said and assume that he limited 'black' to not only dark skinned persons but dark skinned persons only of a certain ethnicity, basically Africans only American definition but since he mentioned Indians we have to throw them in and the fact that they are supposedly darkeer than Egyptians compensates for there other unspoken deficits.
A Kurd region person for example could not have the skin tone of an Egyptian or Maure for the sole reason that Manilius mentioned Indians but he didn't mention the region in particular where the people we call Kurds today live. That is why you are so narrow and robotic, dishonest actually, trying to patronize black folk with a less than objective eye.
And ironic the idea we need Greeks and Romans for definitions, that that is some kind of yardstick or approval for Africanists. And if setting up these Greco Roman authors this way other parts of Africa would not be considered black because in the quote so and son Greek or Roman didn't specifically mention said peoples as qualifying in the ethnic black list.
And is notable these authors don't use this stand alone color identity 'blacks' as Americans do. They might say someone has black skin but they don't call them 'a black'

Incorrect. He simply lists blacks known to him and his fellow Romans at that time which again are located in the tropics and subtropics. Most of the peoples he lists are Africans. You then insert modern photos of Inuit, Turks, and Mongols which again are not as dark as the folks he talks about.

quote:
Anybody can read the Manilius and see how people like the below Kirgiz Turk and Inuit do indeed fit into the range of who Manilius if looking at them would say that their skin tone is black and within the range he outlined, a range where the Maure (BLACK) people are at lightest end of a graded spectrum of dark skinned people.

-

-

I'm sure Tukuler will take the fifth but if he had to give an honest answer I would bet money that he would not say the above persons do not fall within the range of dark skinned people that Manilius mentions begining with Ethiopians and ending with Maure (later: Moors).
And that is beyond obvious in considering these persons and other examples

Anybody who doesn't admit to it is a believer in racial concepts.
That is why you're afrocentrics, you are trying to correct by reversing and intentional omission

Again NO. You are lying either consciously or unconsciously which includes yourself as well! These people above are dark yes but you CANNOT say they represent the complexions he speaks of let alone the Egyptians, you dumbf*ck! LOL [Big Grin]

Really their complexions are no different from many tanned Mediterraneans yet these same Mediterraneans called the Maure and Egyptians who lived to the south as 'black'!

tanned Italians
 -

-

tanned Greeks
 -

As Takruri says, you are projecting your own anti-black insecurities onto Manilius when he like his fellow Greco-Romans had a world view based on the gentes (races) di natios (of nations) septentrionalis (northern) i.e. north of the Mediterranean vs. gentes (races) di natios (of nations) meridianus (southern). The Mediterranean divides them but they use the myth of Phaeton nearly crashing the sun in the south and permanently burning the skins of the peoples there as a reason for black skin!

Northern Asians with complexions darker than white or yellow don't count!

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:

beating a dead horse at this point...

"In Manilius' order complexions from the most
dark to the least dark are
- Aethiopes
- India
- Aegyptia
- Afrorum
- Mauretania"

So why should I believe there was some drastic change??

You are correct. But I disagree with a few things in your picture spam. Particularly, your last category where you include modern mixed-types as representative of Maure. Remember, the Maure at least as originally described by Manilius and his Roman peers were not of the 'tawny' or 'yellowish' kind described often in later times but the Maure were described as adusti (dusky) and nigri (black)

Here is my version which is likely more accurate.

1. Aethiope
 -

2. Indian (North Indian--Balochistan)
 -

3. Egyptian (indigenous non-Arab Giza, Lower Egyptian man) [medium hue]
 -

Afer (Libyans)
 -

Maure (Tunisians)
 -

^ Before lyinass or similar complain about the lighting, since they are in shade, take note of the areas of the skin where the sun light hits (the same is true with all the others). This should provide us with somewhat of an idea of the differences of complexions and how they grade from dark to light.

Lyinass 'produced' strawsh|t of dark north Asians like this Mongolian NOT included in Manilius list! LOL [Big Grin]

-

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

^ Before lioness or similar complain about the lighting, since they are in shade, take note of the areas of the skin where the sun light hits (the same is true with all the others). This should provide us with somewhat of an idea of the differences of complexions and how they grade from dark to light.

Guy is a fvcking idiot of all the thousands of pictures available he deliberately picks people in shade

then he even says " Before lioness or similar complain about the lighting"

^^^^ in other words>" I'm hustling you with lighting and because I say I'm hustling you with lighting, therefore I'm not hustling you with lighting"

Djeshootme's special instructions necessary:>" take note of the areas of the skin where the sun light hits "......

idiotic

special instructions to Djeshootie:

find pics of people not in shade, there are thousands on the internet, FAIL

no need, Jari had it right:

quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
beating a dead horse at this point...

"In Manilius' order complexions from the most
dark to the least dark are
- Aethiopes
- India
- Aegyptia
- Afrorum
- Mauretania"

So why should I believe there was some drastic change??

east dark are
(a)- Aethiopes
(b)- India
(c)- Aegyptia
(d)- Afrorum
(d)- Mauretania"

A
 -

B
 -

C
 -  -

D(Saharan Type)

-
 -

D(Coastal Type)/(mixture with European Migrants)
 -

- [/QB][/QUOTE]

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lyinass b|tch:

Guy is a fvcking idiot of all the thousands of pictures available he deliberately picks people in shade.

then he even says " Before lioness or similar complain about the lighting"

^^^^ in other words>" I'm hustling you with lighting and because I say I'm hustling you with lighting, therefore I'm not hustling you with lighting"

NO, lying Euro-whore. I did NOT "deliberately" pick people in shade. I simply chose photos from my file of the INDIGENOUS people of the regions Manilius spoke of! As I correctly predicted, you would b|tch about them having poor lighting and being in "shade" but anyone with eyes cans see they are all BLACK.

quote:
Djeshootme's special instructions necessary:>" take note of the areas of the skin where the sun light hits "......

idiotic

special instructions to Djeshootie:

find pics of people not in shade, there are thousands on the internet, FAIL

Again your complaints about the shade are irrelevant. They are all pristine natives of the regions in question.

quote:
no need, Jari had it right:

Yea, Jari had it right except for his Maure example which do NOT match the Roman descriptions. High-yellow 'mulatto' types do not match the adusti or nigri descriptions by Manilius and other Romans.

LOL @ "deliberately choosing" pictures of them in poor lighting. As if the "shade" gives them black appearance! [Big Grin]

You are so pathetic it is both hilarious at it sad. [Embarrassed]

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got your lyinass, trick. And don't think I'm ever letting go!

Your dumbass complains about "lighting", well wait until I find photos with better lighting. What will you say then, you whining sore whore loser! [Big Grin]

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
I got your lyinass, trick. And don't think I'm ever letting go!

Your dumbass complains about "lighting", well wait until I find photos with better lighting. What will you say then, you whining sore whore loser! [Big Grin]

-
and of course Ethiopians are all pitch Dinka black
and the darkest Indians you an find
-also make sure all the dark skinned people have afro type hair to keep everyone happy (excspt Indian, can't change that)

let me know when you get your shade-y issues together
also keep in mind the Mauretanians are Africans ( in latin "Afrorum" )
There are 4 Manilius categories of dark, not 5
get rid of the interpreter

LITERAL TRANSLATION

Phoebus harenosis Afrorum pulvere terris
Sun-God sandy African dust lands
exsiccat populos, et Mauretania nomen
dries up the people, and the name of Mauritania
oris habet titulumque suo fert ipsa colore.
expressed has title brought itself color

Similar to the Goold it says the Sun God of the sandy African lands dries up the people and the name Mauritania expresses it's color

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
 -
 -

^^^ in a thread he actually called this guy mixed

Dejhutie our resident expert on black says the above Nigerian men are mixed. They don't fit into his True Blackest theory.
He thinks the yellowish skin tone is not entirely indigenous.
Don't take my word for it just observe what he says.

This is the problem with antiquated skin color oriented identities, "black' "white" as opposed to genetics and to some extent biomorphics.

If you go by skin color you find people all over the world, some Central Asians and Native Americans can have the same level of darkness as some pure Africans and Africans even darker than the above.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lyinass dummy:

and of course Ethiopians are all pitch Dinka black
and the darkest Indians you can find
-also make sure all the dark skinned people have afro type hair to keep everyone happy (excspt Indian, can't change that)

The 'Ethiopians' referred to by Manilius as the darkest people in the world ARE Sudanese people like the Dinka you idiot!! Again you are betrayed by your ignorance as usual!! Also, I didn't look for the "darkest" Indians just those that fit Manilius description as lighter than Aethiopians (Sudanese) but darker than Egyptians! I actually chose an indigenous person of northern India as opposed to lighter-skinned tribes of more recent northern extraction which is something your lyinass does!

quote:
let me know when you get your shade-y issues together

LOL Unlike you have no issues at all! Your complaints about "shade" are idiotic! Anybody with eyes can see these people are still BLACK even with better lighting. Your excuses are the dumbest I've ever heard in the internet! hahahaha LOL [Big Grin] As for the Aforum, again your ignorant ass still doesn't know (despite Takruri and I telling you) that they are a particular ethnic group of Africans and NOT Africans in general! The Aforum were a people who lived in the Maghreb specifically western Libya up to Tunisia. And Manilius did NOT say there were any categories of 'dark'. He just lists dark [black] peoples from darkest to lightest. Even the lightest-- the Maure were called nigri by the Romans and we all know what nigri means!

quote:

LITERAL TRANSLATION

Similar to the Gold it says the Sun God of the sandy African lands dries up the people and the name Mauritania expresses it's color

LOL No where does is say the people are the same color as the sand! And the accurate translation is the title of the people reflects their color. What is the title? Maure We already went over what maure means-- BLACK. GTFOH [Big Grin]
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lyinass sh*t:

-
 -

Dejhutie our resident expert on black says the above Nigerian men are mixed. They don't fit into his True Blackest theory.
He thinks the yellowish skin tone is not entirely indigenous.
Don't take my word for it just observe what he says.

This is the problem with antiquated skin color oriented identities, "black' "white" as opposed to genetics and to some extent biomorphics.

If you go by skin color you find people all over the world, some Central Asians and Native Americans can have the same level of darkness as some pure Africans and Africans even darker than the above.

More strawsh|t. I never said the above Nigerian men were mixed, you lying dummy! LOL I said the Nigerian actress with fair-skin likely was. The men in the above photos by the way are NOT even 'yellow' in complexion. The first man in the picture is actually darker but his photo flooded with light! -- And yes lighting works both ways--

Nigerian actor Chidi Mokeme

-

-

-

-

http://www.nigeriamovienetwork.com/uploads/articles/9cb4df9a.jpg

Will the 'real' Chidi Mokeme be revealed?! LMAOH [Big Grin]

I got this lyinass b|tch!

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
duplicate
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^^ I answered your strawsh|t nonsense already.

Note you are going off tangent about some random cherry-picked light-skinned Nigerian men, because I already busted your lyinass.

Your obviously losing it.

Cracking from the pressure.

-

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

Nigerian actor Chidi Mokeme

-

-

-

-

http://www.nigeriamovienetwork.com/uploads/articles/9cb4df9a.jpg

Will the 'real' Chidi Mokeme be revealed?! LMAOH [Big Grin]

I got this lyinass b|tch! [/QB]

'

what this fool doesn't understand is that they all are real Chidi Mokeme Medium light toned Africans vary significantly as per how much outdoor exposure they get at a given time.

-

(^^WARNING skin tone not black according to Djeshootme)

-

^^^hence both are honest real photos of Wole Solinka taken at different times when his skin looked different in actuality
It's called tanning and African people are also cappable of it

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Nah, lying b|tch. What I proved is that lighting works both ways. A person can look much lighter than he/she really is when flooded with light the same way a person can look darker if in the shade.

You're just cracking from desperation. [Embarrassed]

-

^^
 -

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

this is what the Tut bust looks like when it's not in a dark museum gallery

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
LITERAL TRANSLATION

Similar to the Goold translation it says the Sun God of the sandy African lands dries up the people and the name Mauritania expresses it's color
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:LOL No where does is say the people are the same color as the sand! And the accurate translation is the title of the people reflects their color. What is the title? Maure We already went over what maure means-- BLACK. GTFOH [Big Grin]

the quote and two pages surrounding it doesn't have the word black or white in it. Waht does that tell you? Could it be your are trying to insert modern concepts?
Deal with what Manilus said not additional interpretation. much context has been provided in the intital post page 1
latin word for black "niger"
So why isin't it called Nigertania?
the definition of maure is "inhabitant of Noth Africa"
Mauretanina.
Mauretanina is land of the blacks? Then Numidia and Egypt are not Maure blacks?

Supposing the word means black as opposed to dark
thus this definition of black by your Roman race expert would be a discernable shade lighter than this Tut bust photgraphed with dramatic lighting in a dark gallery

-

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lyinass:

-

this is what the Tut bust looks like when it's not in a dark museum gallery

Yeah, still with chocolate brown complexion which Manilius said was 'medium' in tone to other dark/black peoples.

This photo of the bust was taken in adequate lighting and NOT in some dim museum lighting.

-

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

the quote and two pages surrounding it doesn't have the word black or white in it. What does that tell you? Could it be your are trying to insert modern concepts?
Deal with what Manilus said not additional interpretation. much context has been provided in the intital post page 1
latin word for black "niger"
So why isin't it called Nigertania?
the definition of maure is "inhabitant of Noth Africa"
Mauretanina.
Mauretanina is land of the blacks? Then Numidia and Egypt are not Maure blacks?

Supposing the word means black as opposed to dark
thus this definition of black by your Roman race expert would be a discernible shade lighter than this Tut bust photographed with dramatic lighting in a dark gallery

-

Maure means black in GREEK, dummy! How many times more must we tell you that?! Also, the Romans did label a people in Libya "Nigritai" who were the Garamantes or related to them! And 'dark' and 'black' were used interchangeably, stupid twit!!

Another image of Tut.

-

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:
From Tukuler:

However, Goold deliberately hid the meaning of Mauros
in his footnote. Even today the word means black in Greek.

μαύρος

noun
μαύρος => black, raven, Negro, nigger
αράπης => nigger, black, Arab, Negro
Νέγρος => Negro, nigger, black

adjective
μαύρος => black, colored, sable, pitchy, coloured
σκοτεινός => dark, obscure, dingy, murky, shady, black
μαυρισμένος => black
άσχημος => ugly, nasty, unsightly, seamy, homely, black
άγριος => wild, feral, fierce, savage, ferocious, black
δυσοίωνος => sinister, ominous, inauspicious, portentous, pessimistic, black

verb
μουτζουρώνω => black, smudge, smut
αμαυρώνω => darken, tarnish, stain, black
δυσφημώ =>disparage, discredit, vilify, defame, denigrate, black

From Snowden:
The Mauri, another northwest African people whose color received frequent notice, were at times described as 'nigri' (black) and 'adusti' (scorched).

Mikemikev
Member # 20844

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mikemikev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Djehuti will you explain what your definition of "Black" is.

If it is someone with dark skin, then:

(a) Why not call them dark?
(b) Are the following by the same criteria "white"? -

-

Answer yes or no.

Posts: 873 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ YES. Labels such as 'black' and 'white' are descriptive of COLOR and are no more 'racial' than say other features like narrow noses vs. wide noses. This is why very dark South Asians (Indians) are still called 'black' not only by Westerners but by fellow Indians hence the label 'kalu'. Even in the Philippines we call fair-skinned people especially northeast Asians 'puti' which means white even though they are not 'caucasian'. Skin color is independent of other features and definitely independent of ancestry. A pale person whether European or northeast Asian could still be labeled 'white' the same way a dark person could still be called 'black' regardless if the person is African or aboriginal Southeast Asian.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] ^ YES. Labels such as 'black' and 'white' are descriptive of COLOR and are no more 'racial' than say other features like narrow noses vs. wide noses. This is why very dark South Asians (Indians) are still called 'black'

and you can detect the bullshyt
Asians are only black if they are very dark.

In other words this guy is black
 -

but this guy is not black
 -

because if you're Asian
 -

you are required to be very dark to be black

-Dejootie's world

There's a difference between what people claim to believe and how they actually act

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

and you can detect the bullshyt
Asians are only black if they are very dark.

In other words this guy is black
 -

but this guy is not black
 -

Well yeah. Because 'black' usually describes very dark. Just because someone's complexion is darker than pale or fair does not automatically make them 'black'. By the way, your first example is not even Asian but African.

quote:
because if you're Asian
 -

you are required to be very dark to be black

-Dejootie's world

There's a difference between what people claim to believe and how they actually act

^ There sure IS a difference and in your case it's called hypocrisy!

You have southern Euros like Romans such as Manilius who themselves can be very dark from exposure to the sun.

-  -

Yet they don't call themselves 'black'. They reserve that label for people who live to the south of them in Africa, including the North African coasts.

This north Indian man is quite dark also...

-

..though to many Indians including himself he is not dark enough to be called 'black'..

like these north Indians.

-

But again, it is all relative. Even among blacks there are variations in shade and complexion where color or shade terms are used to discern such differences. But then again the same is true for Europeans. Have you heard of the 'Black Irish'?? Interestingly the phrase is a figure of speech for Irish who have dark features. Funny how you have no problem with that term. [Embarrassed]

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^^^ (lyinass)
 -

Son of Ra
Member # 20401

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Son of Ra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^Lol...
Posts: 1135 | From: Top secret | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

We can see a prime example of the hypocritical double standard moving of the goal posts for those Djehootie deems black.
Above a perfectly legit picture of great Nigerian writer Wole Soyinka.
Djehootie can't deal with that picture.
To him Wole Soyinka is not black in the above picture.
Djehootie actually has to resort to using a different picture of Wole Soyinka in which he appears more tanned:

pathetic

quote:

-

- [

enough games, enough switcheroo tricks

Below a picture of Nigerian writer Wole Soyinka, you just have to deal with it

-
Wole Soyinka

-
Kirgiz Turk
 -
Nigerian

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Faheem's Donkey:

'white people':

-

-

-

Remember all the people above are 'white' according to Afrocentric logic.

What does this inane dissembly have
even a whit to do with Manilius and
Greco-Latin black-white dichotomy?

None of them are white according to Euro arrogance.

Europeans have claimed exclusive
rights to white and enforce it in
their academic institutions and all
attending imbibe and regurgitate that
Eurocentrism (or receive failing grades
in anthropology/sociology) but before
Euro dominance such was not the case.

East Asian girls of white complexion
like to hear it. I personally know
Chinese in Indonesian go by "white
Chinese." I've never heard any East
Asian describe themself as yellow.
That's why yellow has no parlance
today considered a tad pejorative.

The Chinese classic Chin P'ing Mei
by Wang Shih-cheng is profuse in
adulation of white legged, white
buttocked, ivory white legged,
dazzling-white legged, and dazzling
white necked Chinese women and girls.

Leaving Euro predicated skin colour
wording to Euros of course these
females are white. Xyyman posted
a scientific colour chart supporting
northeast Asians as whiter than Euros.

White ≠ only European unless one bows down
to Simon and acquiesces to play Simon Says.
Colour may or may not reveal close genetic
or biological relation. White skinned peoples
of Asia and Europe are almost as distinctly
non-related as the blacks of Africa and Asia.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
[quote]You are correct there is no escaping it.
Below examples of 'darks' as you call them or 'blacks'
people of 'medium tone' as Manilius described the Egyptians
[quote]

Manilius was Roman and lived in the Roman era. Did he ever travel to Egypt?

When the senate called a meeting to consider the matter, Scipio Nasica advised receiving the Carthaginian embassy and making a truce with them, but Marcus Cato declared that no truce ought to be made nor the declaration of war rescinded. Nevertheless, the senators listened to the entreaties of the envoys, promised to grant them a truce, and demanded hostages for the fulfilment of the conditions. These hostages were sent to Sicily, and Lucius Marcius and Marcus Manilius went there, took charge of them, and sent them on to Rome, while they themselves made haste to reach Africa. After encamping they summoned the magistrates of Carthage to appear before them.

Casssius Dio Book XXI

Oh my gosh, who tossed the timeline
out the window? Internal evidence
noted by Goold places our Manilius
in an Augustan/Tiberian time cusp.

This other Manilius guy is some two
centuries earlier when Carthage still
existed and was a challenge to Rome.

Ya see what GOOGLE scholarship does?
It causes (ouch) LyinAssFuckuptions.
You just can't scissors and paste
your way to valid knowledge. You
have to (l)earn it toiling in study.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:

LITERAL TRANSLATION

Similar to the Goold it says the Sun God of the sandy African lands dries up the people and the name Mauritania expresses it's color

quote:
As for the Af[r]orum, again your ignorant ass still doesn't know (despite Takruri and I telling you) that they are a particular ethnic group of Africans and NOT Africans in general! The Af[r]orum were a people who lived in the Maghreb specifically western Libya up to Tunisia. And Manilius did NOT say there were any categories of 'dark'. He just lists dark [black] peoples from darkest to lightest. Even the lightest-- the Maure were called nigri by the Romans and we all know what nigri means!

quote:

LITERAL TRANSLATION

Similar to the Gold it says the Sun God of the sandy African lands dries up the people and the name Mauritania expresses it's color

LOL No where does is say the people are the same color as the sand! And the accurate translation is the title of the people reflects their color. What is the title? Maure We already went over what maure means-- BLACK. GTFOH [Big Grin]
INTERLINEAR TRANSLATION

-

Those really wanting to know will ask
to clarify or expand on what they're
unsure. Lyin'Ass snakes will hiss
venom as they intentionally distort
with their cockmaimee projections.

As stated in the old thread Manilius
doesn't always use a peculiar colour
description when delineating nations
despite its feature primacy in listed
human race characteristics or variety.

Such is the case with Hispania, Romanis,
Syrium, and Afrorum, and so reflected
inverse equator nearness order in this
Manilius 4.715-30 keyword skeletal layout:
quote:

(proprioque colore formantur gentes)

- Germania ____ flava
- Gallia _______ rubore
- Hispania
- Romanis
- Graecia _____ coloratas subtilis

- Syriam

- Mauretania
- Afrorum
- Aegyptia ____ infuscat
- India _______ tostos
- Aethiopes ___ tenebrisque

Colore is in the Mauretania description
but no one particular colour. The direct
explication is mauros i.e., black person
as in "nigger."

Here is a family portrait of a
woman of the Syrium (torti per tempora crines)
and a man of the Afrorum
and their offspring who according to Claudian
is so hideous as to frighten its own cradle.
 -

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
[quote]You are correct there is no escaping it.
Below examples of 'darks' as you call them or 'blacks'
people of 'medium tone' as Manilius described the Egyptians
[quote]

Manilius was Roman and lived in the Roman era. Did he ever travel to Egypt?

When the senate called a meeting to consider the matter, Scipio Nasica advised receiving the Carthaginian embassy and making a truce with them, but Marcus Cato declared that no truce ought to be made nor the declaration of war rescinded. Nevertheless, the senators listened to the entreaties of the envoys, promised to grant them a truce, and demanded hostages for the fulfilment of the conditions. These hostages were sent to Sicily, and Lucius Marcius and Marcus Manilius went there, took charge of them, and sent them on to Rome, while they themselves made haste to reach Africa. After encamping they summoned the magistrates of Carthage to appear before them.

Casssius Dio Book XXI

Oh my gosh, who tossed the timeline
out the window? Internal evidence
noted by Goold places our Manilius
in an Augustan/Tiberian time cusp.

This other Manilius guy is some two
centuries earlier when Carthage still
existed and was a challenge to Rome.

Ya see what GOOGLE scholarship does?
It causes (ouch) LyinAssFuckuptions.
You just can't scissors and paste
your way to valid knowledge. You
have to (l)earn it toiling in study.

one point for alTurki here
Tukuler
Member # 19944

For some reason couldn't edit my last post so here

Here is a family portrait of a woman of the
Syrium (torti per tempora crines)and a man of the Afrorum with their offspring who according
to Claudian is so hideous as to frighten its own cradle.
 -

Claudian from his The War Against Gildo vv175

When tired of each noblest matron Gildo hands her over to the Moors.
Married in Carthage city these Sidonian mothers needs must mate with
barbarians. He thrusts upon me an Ethiopian as a son-in‑law, a Berber
as a husband. The hideous half-breed child affrights its cradle.

Mauris clarissima quaeque
fastidita datur. media Carthagine ductae
barbara Sidoniae subeunt conubia matres;
Aethiopem nobis generum, Nasamona maritum
ingerit; exterret cunabula discolor infans.

alTakruri's note:
Per Claudian when matched with a "white Syrian" both
Aethiops and Nasamonians plant mulato bearing seed.

See http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=006432#000049

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

-

- Mauretania
- Afrorum
- Aegyptia
- India
- Aethiopes

Goold lists 4 peoples in this section,
Ethiopians, Egyptians, Indians, and Moors
and in 2005 you had the same 4 in bolded type on NVF

- Mauretania
- Aegyptia
- India
- Aethiopes

But now have your own alternate translation adding "Afrorum"
here where you have inserted the word "while" and you have re-squenced your own "interlinear translation". Also your line breaks don't correspond to my source. I'm not sure they are correct.

"while" latin : dum, dulcitudo dulcitudinis, cum, donec

_________________^^^ not in text

"et"

^^^ is in text meaning "and" or "both"

-

let's look at again using the literal order and as we know you have words can have multiple meanings. So your traslations of particular words are your personal selections of options available.
I will use some of your word meaning selections for a literla translation basically very close to the one I had shown earlier

Apollo sandy African dusts lands

dries nations Mauretania name

mouth he wears label there they bear color (hue, tint)

The professonal world reknowned Yale scholar G.P Goold says the above represents one people, Mauretanians and "Afrorum" is referring to them. Your alternative theory is that Manilius is speaking of two peoples. You say Afrorum is strictly Tunisians and they, as per the order, are darker than the Mauretanians (later "Moors" )

The passage may seem a little ambiguous. I would like to hear a classics professor in latin comment on your alternative to Goold added category theory.

The text can be left in actual sequence using your word meanaings

Sol sandy African dust lands

^^^^ folks look at this. This is alturk's basically. From this he assumes two separate nations

1) "Africans" (Tunisians =Roman 'Africa")
2) Mauretanians

I had already demonstrated that the actual terrritory of these Roman Province names changes in different periods. Also this is a poem and not clinical historical prose

we can take this

Sol sandy African dust lands

^^^ and and arrive at this:

(note: "Sol" = Son God, ancient Rome)

Sol dusts the African sands
and dries nations, Mauretania, a name,
mouths it's label by color

NOTE where the word African appears in the text (Afrorum) it is not followed by people (or nations) as alTurki has it in his Turkized version

harenosis Afrorum pulvere
sandy Africans dusts

the word populos (people or nations) is not next to Afrorum it's not even on the same line, but the next:

exsiccat populos, et Mauretania

^^^^^ the nations (people) are dried by the Sun God
alTurki has cut and pasted Afrorum and pasted it to "populos" and translated it as African people
therfore giving the illusion of 'Afican nation' as a thing unto itself as meaning Tunisia.
But that is not how it appears in the text. Afrorum is separated by three whole words from "populos".

lioness productions
everyday like a vitamin

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^^^
 -
quote:
Originally posted by the lyinass lunatic:

-

We can see a prime example of the hypocritical double standard moving of the goal posts for those Djehootie deems black.
Above a perfectly legit picture of great Nigerian writer Wole Soyinka.
Djehootie can't deal with that picture.
To him Wole Soyinka is not black in the above picture.
Djehootie actually has to resort to using a different picture of Wole Soyinka in which he appears more tanned.

pathetic

Yeah, you're right. I'm lying. Wole Soyinka and his Nigerian brethren all have chocolate dark complexions due to tans. Their real complexions are really not that dark. I promise!

-

ROTFLMAOH
 -

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
duplicate
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^^^
 -

Anyway, I believe there is no point in arguing with something so stupid as what is and what is not 'black'. Nigerians like Wole Soynika are obviously black. Manilius like his fellow Romans and Greeks held the world view that the native 'gentes' (races) of people to the south i.e the Mediterranean were black peoples. The mythological basis being Phaeton who nearly crashed the sun in the southern lands scorching the lands into deserts i.e. the Saharan, Arabian, and Thar deserts of Africa, Arabia, and India respectively. This same mythology says the natives of these lands were burnt black.

Manilius lists the people from darkest to lightest starting with the Aethiopes (Sudanese) as the blackest to the Maure of Tunisia as the least black but STILL black. As I cited from Snowden, even the least dark Maure were called 'adusti' and 'nigri' which means scorched and black respectively.

My only qualm now is with the word 'Afrorum'. What lyinass does not realize is that this is another gente or ethnicity and NOT the word for Africa which is actually derived from the ethnicity. Where is Dana when you need her? I believe Dana has made references to the Afrorum or Afer tribes that inhabited the Maghreb and were also described as 'nigri' just as other Africans.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
wiki:

Afri (singular Afer) was a Latin name for the Carthaginians It was received by the Romans from the Carthaginians, as a native term for their country Afer was at first used as an adjective, meaning "of Carthage", "of Africa". As a substantive, it denoted a native of Africa, i. e., a Carthaginian.

The ultimate etymology of the Punic term for the country is uncertain. It is possible that it is derived from a Punic term for an indigenous population of the area surrounding Carthage.[citation needed] See Terence#Biography for discussion. The name may be connected with Phoenician `afar, dust[1] (also found in other Semitic languages), or with Berber ifri, cave (see Tataouine). The classical historian Flavius Josephus asserted that the region had been invaded by descendants of Abraham's grandson Epher, who gave it their name.

During the Roman Empire period, Afer came to be a cognomen for people from the Africa Province.

This ethnonym is the source of the term Africa. The Romans referred to the region as Africa terra (land of the Afri), based on the stem Afr- with the adjective suffix -ic- (giving Africus, Africa, Africum in the nominative singular of the three Latin genders). Following the defeat of Carthage in the Third Punic War, Rome set up the province of Africa.

The Roman Diocese of Africa was conquered by the Vandals in the 5th century, and re-conquered by the empire as the Praetorian prefecture of Africa in AD 534. The Latin name Africa was received in Arabic after the Islamic conquest, as Ifriqiya.[2]

The name is still extant today as Ifira and Ifri-n-Dellal in Greater Kabylie (Algeria). A Berber tribe was called Banu Ifran in the Middle Ages, and Ifurace was the name of a Tripolitan people in the 6th century. Troglodytism was frequent in northern Africa and still occurs today in southern Tunisia. Herodotus wrote that the Garamantes, a North African people, used to live in caves. The Greeks also called an African people who lived in caves Troglodytae.
The Roman province of Africa (named for a people who lived there) was established after the Romans defeated Carthage in the Third Punic War. It roughly comprised the territory of present-day northern Tunisia, and the small Mediterranean Sea coast of modern-day western Libya along the Syrtis Minor. The Arabs later named roughly the same region as the original province Ifriqiya, a rendering of Africa.

The African provinces were amongst the wealthiest regions in the Empire (rivaled only by Egypt, Syria and Italy itself) and as a consequence people from all over the Empire migrated into the Roman Africa Province, most importantly veterans in early retirement who settled in Africa on farming plots promised for their military service. Historian Theodore Mommsen estimated that under Hadrian nearly 1/3 of the eastern Numidia population (roughly modern Tunisia) was descended from Roman veterans. Even so, the Roman military presence of North Africa was relatively small, consisting of about 28,000 troops and auxiliaries in Numidia and the two Mauretanian provinces. Starting in the 2nd century AD, these garrisons were manned mostly by local inhabitants. A sizable Latin speaking population developed that was multinational in background, sharing the north African region with those speaking Punic and Berber languages.Imperial security forces began to be drawn from the local population, including the Berbers.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Yawn

The latest Lyin'Ass Fuckuption behind Afrorum is
not worth a reply (singular vs plural and semi-
colon separating Afrorum-Africans and Mauretania-
a non-desert nation in Goold's translation which
leaves et untranslated not to mention poetry often
neglects strict rules of grammar and so on).

Anybody need clarification of what I last posted
or would like me to expand on what I've written?

By the way I use the Perseus Digital Library tools,
the university standard in dictionaries and gazeteers
for classical Greek and Latin like

Charlton T. Lewis.
An Elementary Latin Dictionary.

Charlton T. Lewis, Charles Short.
A Latin Dictionary.

Henry George Liddell, Robert Scott
1) A Greek-English Lexicon.
2) An Intermediate Greek-English Lexicon.

This is my latest take of Manilius on the blacks/
darks/southerners/euator-tropics-subtropics peoples.

Line1 = original Latin.
Line2 = My interlinear word for word of the Latin.

Line3 = My translation in non-poetical grammar.

As most know this is the standard transposition
in books supplying interlinear translation like
Budge's Egyptian language books for instance.

-

I invite any and all who seriously want to collaberate on a translation.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:
one point for alTurki here

Points eh? Admitting to just playing a game
distracting others after authentic knowledge.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^^ I'd rather take YOUR translation via the Perseus Digital Library used by scholars any day than some wiki-translated gobbledy-gook and then distorted further by lyinass agenda. [Embarrassed]
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
^^ I'd rather take YOUR translation via the Perseus Digital Library used by scholars any day than some wiki-translated gobbledy-gook and then distorted further by lyinass agenda. [Embarrassed]

Djehutie,you thick dimwit I put up the Goold which is the world standard for English translation of the text. Look at post 1
please enough with the idiotic cheerleading.
Alturki is not using the standard English translation by Goold. Try to think for yourself instead of dick riding big Al.
He is simply using dictionary tools and then choosing one word from several options given for a word's meaning and then rearranging as to what he thinks it mean grammatcially.

In typical fashion AlTurki complicates things by using three different words for the Sun God, Phoebus, Apollo and Sol.
He often looks for the most obscure version of what is being talked about. He is hoping you won't recognize it give up your own look at what is being talked about and just accept his pompous ivory-toweresque word for it

Let me simplify matters.

This is AlTack's translation exactly as he stated:

"Sol dries the African people's dusty desert lands
while Mauretania's own mouth has labeled it's appellation by the color they bear"

^^^^ He is proposing an alternative meaning to the standard English translation and suggesting this means two peoples are being talked about rather than just Mauretanians.
Notice how he uses the word "appellation" instead of "name" for the latin word "nomen" which is cleary more similar to "name"
No big deal it means the same thing yet he will always try to enhance the pretentiousness.

The trick he has pulled is to take the latin word "et" meaning "and" and replace it the "while"

So here is a correct version:

and Mauretania's own mouth has labeled it's name by color "

this is the alTurkerized version

while Mauretania's own mouth has labeled it's appellation by the color they bear"

While pretentious-izing "name" into one of his favortios "appellation" is no problem he has inserted this word "while" to imply that at the beginning of the thought Manilius was talking about "Africans" while on the other hand there are Mauretanians.

Look at the latin "et" = and or both

and that is one of the most elementary words

I propose that the standard English translation is correct that only Mauretanians are being discussed here.
And what he is proposing as two categories are at the same latitude anyway, Roman provinces

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Aw, don't be a jealous hater you can learn from me too.

For the love of heaven consult contemporaneous geographers will ya.

-
Dionysius c120BCE above and Ptolemy c150CE below are the most detailed.
Each has Æthiopes/Æthiopia and Ægyptus/Ægyptum in the east and at far
northwest Maurusii/Mauretania. At Carthago, the original home of the
Aourigha/Afri/Afer and in the desert to its south Gætuli/Melanogætuli
Nigretes/Nigritæ Pharusii/Pharausi. They are the major Afrorum/Africans
of the dry dusty sandy lands of Africa. Mauretania is not desert.
 -
Please zoom maps as necessary. Ptolemy explicitly writes at Book4 chapter3
"The west side of Africa is terminated by Mauretania Caesariensis ..."

Here, have a peek at another ancient geographer based map.
 -

Unlike Mauretania Afrorum, Phoebus Apollo is one and the same two part name.
 -
BTW he's Phaeton's daddy and that's his chariot and team of horses.

Sol is the obvious contemporary choice for English speakers. It's
the choice of scientists as the nickname for the sun, Ol' Sol
as most were taught and learned in elementary school.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ Affirmative. 'Afrorum' and 'Mauretania' are two different regions and thus inhabited by two different ethnikoi/gentes/races. If 'Afrorum' was the general term for all of Africa then why are Egyptians and Aethiopians excluded as well even though they share the same continent?

By the way, Phoebus (Greek: Phoibos) means 'bright one' and was used as an epithet for several deities having such a quality especially the sun. Apollo was originally not a sun god-- the actual sun deity being called 'Helios' in Greek and 'Sol' in Latin/Roman. Apollo was a god of prophecy, divine judgement and retribution, and art and inspiration. It was only later that his epithet of 'phoibos' took on solar qualities which is why after the death of Phaeton, his father the sun (Helio/Sol) forbade anyone else to drive his chariot except Apollo who could control his celestial steeds as well as he could.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

These maps all vary greatly.

here we see Africa Vitale under the M and E of "Mediterranevm" around what is now Tunisia.
But low and behold the continent is labeled "Africa" at the same time.

These highly inaccurate and varying maps are not going to prove the case for Afrorum as a distinct people.

All of these Roman Provinces are on the same latitude. Tunisia is even slightly higher. This was the site of Carthage. It is there in fact where the most foreigners had settled, Phoenicians and then thousands of Roman soldiers all mixing in with indigenous peoples and these city building foreigners probably greatly outnumbering indigenous people by then. This after Carthage of the Phoenicians was already razed to the ground.
And the proposed Afrorum in the Manilius order are supposedly darker than the Maure.
OK if that's they want you want it.
If you want to prove such a case these maps aren't going to do it you will have to begin (not the cherleader the other guy) by first producing examples of "Afrorum" being used in Roman texts spelled in that exact way and shown in context to be used to describe a particular ethnic group.
I can save you the effort with this very long multi-chapter Astronomica poem the word is only used once

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xlation of the above

"When I posted maps it was OK but when you post 'em no good."

"Oh boo hoo neither my maps or these ones support
Mauretania = Afrorum and Ptolemy even wrote down
Africa ends where Mauretania begins, oh boo hoo."

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Interesting thing is this Greco-Latin idea of
black-white south north dichotomy is pervasive.

I think the janiform ceramics introduces the
concept and in a sense is seen in Manilius:

-
_____________________________ Aethiopes Germania
_________________________________ India Gallia
______________________________ Aegyptia Hispania
_______________________________ Afrorum Romanis
_____________________________ Mauretani Graecia

_____________________________________ Syriam

View the parabola of the Mediterranean lands with Syriam
at the vertex, southerns facing left, northerns facing right.

Manilius lists Syriam among whites/lights/northerners and
comments on the character of Syriam's hair so unlike the others.

Black-white dichotomy also appears more directly in other literary sources.
It's usually done with any one people from each of the two major colours.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
^^^ the modern desire for a "Black-white dichotomy"

sought to be approved of in ancient Greco-Roman thought

Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:
^ Affirmative. 'Afrorum' and 'Mauretania' are two different regions and thus inhabited by two different ethnikoi/gentes/races. If 'Afrorum' was the general term for all of Africa then why are Egyptians and Aethiopians excluded as well even though they share the same continent?

Afer evolved from a distinct (Afri) to a generalized (Libya/Africa) meaning.

Context tells where between the two is meant.

In Manilius it is nether just the original Afri nor
all of Libya/Africa but a set consisting of peoples
between Egypt and Mauretania on towards the Sahara.

As with
- janiform karanthos
- textual examples of black-white dichotomy
Afer is another theme I intend to expand on.

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Yes, yes, very enlightening.
quote:

Xlation of the above

"When I posted maps it was OK but when you post 'em no good."

"Oh boo hoo neither my maps or these ones support
Mauretania = Afrorum and Ptolemy even wrote down
Africa ends where Mauretania begins, oh boo hoo."

LOL Lyinass is just a sore child tired of being spanked and scolded, yet she never learns her lesson.

Whininass
 -

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

the modern desire for a "Black-white dichotomy"

sought to be approved of in ancient Greco-Roman thought

Dumb twit things black-white dichotomy is a "modern" concept that Greco-Romans never had.

It was Manilius who divided the gentes (races) into light/white and dark/black. His view is actually typical of Greco-Romans as per their own mythology of Phaeton burning the races of the southern lands below the Mediterranean black! Again the dumb trick has no idea about what Greco-Romans thought because she is an ignoramus who knows nothing about 'Classics'. Even the Anglo-farthead acknowledges the Phaeton myth as a Greco-Roman explanation for black peoples. This in it of itself is proof for this view of whites vs. blacks in the Greco-Roman world! The lyinass hates to admit it though because it goes against her blackphobic notions! LOL

This b|tch is so crazy she tries to 'lighten' up Nigerians and say they are the same color as Mongolians! LMAO [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com