EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Book of the Dead scene: woman wearing leopard skin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Book of the Dead scene: woman wearing leopard skin
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://faculty.maxwell.syr.edu/gaddis/hst210/sept9/default.htm

_____________________________  -

-

Posts: 42922 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you always make these dumbass 1 picture OPs and posts, without saying where you're going with them? Its sh!t like this that makes me think twice and wonder if there is merit to some peoples' suspicions that you're hired to keep the forum going. If there is one thing everyone can agree on from your history of posts, its that you're not interested in the non-racial, non-controversial aspects of Egyptology either, so you can stop the fronting that you're interested in a random figure who is draped in leopard skin.

It wouldn't surprise me if you made this thread to troll the forum in a roundabout way, with that --what seems to be--pale skinned professional weeper/mourner being the real reason for making this thread.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Calabooz1996
Member # 20793

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Calabooz1996     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol, lioness.
Posts: 21 | From: Mars | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alTakruri
Member # 10195

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for alTakruri   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could it have something to do with the concept of the Leopard-Skin Chief?

-

Posts: 8014 | From: the Tekrur in the Western Sahel | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
[QB] Why do you always make these dumbass 1 picture OPs and posts, without saying where you're going with them?

http://www.ancient-egypt-priests.com/AE-Life-english.htm

The post is self expalantory. You don't usually see a woman in Egyptian art wearing a leopard skin
 -

" The high ranking priests wore sashes, probably with gold ornaments similar to the ones the Pharaoh used, and a leopard skin. The leopard was considered a sacred animal, personification of the ancient sky-Goddess Mafdet. Perhaps the spots on the skin reminded the Ancient Egyptians of stars. Artificial leopard cloths had star-shaped items on it for the spots. A leopard skin was also seen connected to the beliefs of regeneration and rebirth in the afterlife, and with sun-God Ra. This can be traced back to the pyramid texts of the 5th dynasty. So in particular the Sem-priests, who had to perform the rituals of inspiriting the mummy before the funeral, wore this special garment, but also the deceased person! It can be seen as some sort of christening robe. Apart of the sash, they do not wear any jewellry."

-
Sem-Priest, Tomb of Maja (today: Turin, Egyptian Museum)

It might have been an imitation in some cases, a respective item has been found in the tomb of Tutanchamun. But it could have been just grave furniture like other imitations given the deceased, the Ushebti, for instance. In any case, already the expition of Harkhuf (around 2225 B.C.) to the kingdom of Jam - probably situated in Upper Nubia or even further south - aquired leopard skins amongst other things. And leopard skins were part of tribute payings from Nubia and also brought back in high quantity from Hatshepsut's expedition to Punt.

-
A leopard-skin imitate from the tomb of Tutanchamun. The head is gilded plaster, the 'body' woven with star applications (Source: Griffith Institute

-
The priest Anen (serving during the reign of Amenhotep III.) with a leopard skin imitation (Turin, Egyptian Museum)

Interesting website dedicated to the life, work and rituals of Ancient Egyptian priests. (click Americna flag, lower right for English)

http://www.ancient-egypt-priests.com/

Posts: 42922 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that even a woman?
Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -  -
____________________________________priest Anen

I change my opinion now, it's man, both figures are of male priests

-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cosign with Swenet. Lioness is just being a passive troll, she brought this thread up because of the light skinned figure. I mean really she had no idea it was a man until now.. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

It wouldn't surprise me if you made this thread to troll the forum in a roundabout way, with that --what seems to be--pale skinned professional weeper/mourner being the real reason for making this thread.

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mena7
Member # 20555

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mena7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Sem leopard priest is a woman, that is the first time I see a woman priest wearing the leopard skin.

In the Pharaoh Narmer procession stela his Djati or prime minister is a woman priest.

How come that Sudanese Dinka Sem priest look so primitive naked with his expose penis when in Ancient Egypt and Kush they the Mande look sophisticated wearing beautiful robes.

Posts: 5374 | From: sepedat/sirius | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
[QB] I cosign with Swenet. Lioness is just being a passive troll, she brought this thread up because of the light skinned figure. I mean really she had no idea it was a man until now.. [Roll Eyes]

the light skinned female figure is unremarkable we've seen that a million times
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
as I said you're just being a passive troll. You knew damn well it was a man. Stop playing stupid. no one is buying your act.
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How come that Sudanese Dinka Sem priest look so primitive naked with his expose penis when in Ancient Egypt and Kush they the Mande look sophisticated wearing beautiful robes.
Meena,

You never know with these white amateur anthropologists armed with cameras. They could have told that Dinka to "take it all off" and "pose" for the camera. Payment: a few British pounds.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
My first impression on this painting was that all the figures were female except the group of four on the right tending the animals with a different hairstyle.

this painting is not on the Egyptian priest site which i discovered later.

-

I was unfamilar with this folded over blousy dress-like garb the priests wear, I haven't noticed it before especially when it also goes down to ankle length as in the initial picure

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
I cosign with Swenet. Lioness is just being a passive troll, she brought this thread up because of the light skinned figure. I mean really she had no idea it was a man until now.. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Right, Princess with leopard skin garment:

-

Nothing particularly new or noteworthy about the figure in the OP, unless I'm missing something.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
^^^ stop bullshyting that dress is highly unusual.
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
chair of intercultural philosophy, Rotterdam/ senior researcher, African Studies Centre, Leiden.

By: Wim van Binsbergen

-

-

http://www.shikanda.net/ancient_models/leopard_harvard_return.pdf

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com