EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » There was a Dynastic Race. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: There was a Dynastic Race.
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Explorer:

quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

This is one of the pieces I misread
 -

Okay, it's now starting to make sense how you drew the connection, granted that the source doesn't actually mention the White Crown itself.
Jane Roy
The politics of trade: Egypt and lower Nubia in the 4th millennium BC
Leiden; Boston: Brill, 2011

The author explicitly states Qustul Pharaonic
iconography is later than the same in Egypt
and listed the icons
- palace facades,
- sacred barque,
- Horus falcon,
- robed human,
- White Crown,
for which she references Dreyer 1998 Umm el~Qaab.

From that one would expect the given reference
to in fact cataloque each of those icons, White
Crown included. So far my researches only uncover
1 & 3 from U-j. Has anyone seen U-j represent the
other icons? And, keep in mind Qustul has at least
one more Pharaonic icon, the rosette. Is that in U-j?

Do I detect bias against Williams -- to whom they
daren't attach an Afrocentric label -- as a silly
negro who's interpretations are just tigger ****?
Why didn't the author simply give any supporting
particular examples? I apply this to all authors
presenting the same inconclusiveness as a fact.

I mean why don't they just show us the U-j White
Crown and guestimates of its date. That'd be the
most objective way to go about disputing Williams.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

quote:

quote:

This is one of the pieces I misread
 -

Okay, it's now starting to make sense how you drew the connection, granted that the source doesn't actually mention the White Crown itself.
Jane Roy
The politics of trade: Egypt and lower Nubia in the 4th millennium BC
Leiden; Boston: Brill, 2011

The author explicitly states Qustul Pharaonic
iconography is later than the same in Egypt
and listed the icons
- palace facades,
- sacred barque,
- Horus falcon,
- robed human,
- White Crown,
for which he references Dreyer 1998 Umm el~Qaab.

I see it now. I stand corrected.
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no, no. The post wasn't to correct you
but to supply my reasoning to all readers.

I think it a boon to newbies and random
surfers to give 'em a little background.

I also added the citation. By the title
it sounds like it may be a vital reference.
I have it on order. Will post more if it
turns out worthwhile.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

Diop points out that the standards born by Narmer's men on the Narmer Palette were all fetishes found in Qustul first.

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:

-
Narmer Palette
Immediately in front of the pharaoh is a long-haired man, accompanied by a pair of hieroglyphs that have been interpreted as his name: Tshet (this assumes that these symbols had the same phonetic value used in later hieroglyphic writing). Before this man are four standard bearers, holding aloft an animal skin, a dog, and two falcons.

Although Diop said nothing specifically about Qustul
the post of a section of Narmer's Palette allows us
see the insignia or totems Diop said were Nubian, in
particular "the Jackal and that of the Sparrow-hawk."

You're right. I did not mean to distort Diop's words if that's how it came across. I am well aware Diop never said Qustul but rather Nubia. I only inferred Qustul because that was the archaeological finding in regards to pre-Kerma Nubian civilization that was known during the time of Diop's research. The Qustul Culture a.k.a. 'A Group' was discovered in 1964 by Dr. Keith Steele. Bruce Williams findings on A Group pharaonic iconography and the Qustul Incence Burner only came to light several years after Diop's African Origin of Civilization was published.

Just a few corrections to Lioness's citation whose source she doesn't mention. [Roll Eyes]

First off, the person in front of Narmer (as Mena correctly pointed out) is a woman or in the very least a cross-dressed man since the hairstyle, dress, and posture is that of a woman! Even the name 'Tshet' is feminine. I see no reason why it shouldn't be a woman especially since there is a widespread tradition in many African cultures for a royal woman to walk in front of the king and behind the banner-men during a royal procession.

Second, the labeling of the standards are a little off. The first standard is NOT an animal skin but a placenta with umbilical cord which is a fetish or totem used by many Africans including some Egyptian nomes. The second is a jackal astride an object (some say a stomach), and the other two are birds perhaps hawks perched on flags.

quote:
quote:

-

The heqa sceptre (or shepherd's crook) was closely associated with the king and was even used to write the word "ruler" and "rule" in hieroglyphics. It was essentially a long stick with a hooked handle ...
Another early example (this time complete) made from ivory was found in the largest predynastic tomb in the Abydos cemetery (U-j).

Even were it properly credited this notice on the
heqa would still fall short of a Pharaonic emblem
as it's shared even with the chief (sheikh) of a
small group of itinerant traders who is denoted by
a heqa, i.e., Heqa.khast AbiSha and crew on a tomb
wall at Beni Hassan. So I wouldn't add the heqa to
the Dreyer U-j list I would like to see compiled for
comparison against a Williams L-24 list since Dreyer
is used by academia to refute Williams.

= = = = =

Indeed. In fact, the heqa is a symbol of livestock tending and thus pastoralism. The other pharaonic accessory often held with the heqa is the neqhaqha (flail) which is used by several agricultural gods. Both were adopted by Ausar (Osiris) as his symbols of power being both pastoralist and farmer. Though I don't see what either has to do with the earliest depiction of kings in either Ta-Shemau or Ta-Seti.

quote:
A sidebar about the Narmer Palette:

Considering the Red Crown's Upper Egyptian origin
is Narmer establishing the Red Crown onto Lower
Egypt, in effect transferring it to northern
symbolism and divorcing it from the south?

Are there artifacts showing the Red Crown as
Lower Egyptian before Narmer? I don't know.

Does terminal TaSeti continue to use the White
Crown during and after Egypt's 1st Dynasty?

These are excellent questions I too am looking answers for. Though I find it interesting that while the Delta's deshret (red crown) may have originated to its south in Upper Egypt, Upper Egypt's own hedjet (white crown) may also have originated to its south as well.
Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
 -

Another correction. The creature labeled as 'feline' is wrong. Felines don't have long snouts and long digits on both fore and hind paws. The animal is most likely a baboon as that is another sacred animal to Nubians as well as Egyptians.

Also the oldest representation of a Nile boat comes from the Khartoum Mesolithic in Sudan as discussed here.

Posts: 26286 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

What is the point you are trying to make by posting this? You cite stuff (generally without mention of author or source), but you rarely actually tell readers, in your own words, why you are posting them.
[Wink]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com