EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Mentuhotep II & Wives

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mentuhotep II & Wives
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 - Queen Kawit according to Dietrich Wildung

I found a copy of this old research paper. You can download the .pdf for your files.

The excavation of the 11th Dynasty temple at Deir el-Bahari. Eighty-five workmen was set out to dig in the Great Temple.

The XI Dynasty Temples at Deir el-Bahri, Part 1, Eduardo Neville, (London: Egypt Exploration Fund, 1913)

Page 56 - Neville: "I often occurs in the tombs of the Old Empire that the women are painted light yellow, like these men. It has been explained by the fact that the women, being supposed to keep indoors more than the men, were less sunburnt, and lighter in color; but this explanation could hardly be accepted in the present case. I believe we must see here two different races, the red ones are the Egyptian conquerors, the yellow ones the old African (Libyan) stock... It seems to me that in this picture on the sarcophagus of Kemsit we have a reminiscence of the fact that the Egyptian nation was formed of an African native element mingled with foreign invaders."

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting document but I couldn't get the PDf to download so that it could be searched easily. Either my reader is not updated enough or there is a better format for the document than a normal PDF,
Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Mentuhotep and wife (unidentified) , source Carolyn Graves-brown

^^ the only picture I've seen with Mentuhotep II and wife together.
His main wife was believed to be Tem

-
He seemed to like very long Hedjets

Posts: 42919 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Myra Wysinger   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The majority of the scenes in the chapel take their inspiration from the Book of The Dead, but the artist has nevertheless managed to express a certain degree of originality in their details. The sequence of scenes unfolds according to a logical order: the funeral and the scenes on earth which follow the death, lead to the door of the burial chamber. From then, unfold the scenes showing the life of the deceased in the Amenti, at the border of which Amenemonet is greeted by king Mentuhotep and queen Neferys. Scenes of worship to Amun, Horus, Maat and other deities, conclude this decorative programme. The mural paintings, with their bright and fresh colours, are painted on a pale bluish-white wash throughout the chapel.

-

Posts: 1549 | From: California, USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Painted sandstone statue of Nebhepetre Mentuhotep II, 11th Dynasty - Metropolitan Museum

-

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Pharaoh Mentuhotep II daughter Princess Aushead. The drawing of Aushead was taken from her fathers tomb.

-

Myra Wysinger
Member # 10126

Member Rated:
Temple at Deir el-Bahri

-

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
Queen Kawit

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Myra.

Missed ya.

Hope you'll become a regular contributor again.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com