EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Ivan Van Sertima's books out of print and expensive

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ivan Van Sertima's books out of print and expensive
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of Ivan Van Sertima's books are know out of print and mint pressings can fetch upwards of $100-400 on amazon and ebay. I wonder if these books will ever go back in print and who owns the rights to them. This information will no longer be accessible due to the price and scarcity.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I asked about that at a few cultural shops
they said his widow doesn't appear interested
although there are still a few popularly priced
journal editions available direct online here
http://www.journalofafricancivilizations.com/Books
scroll to bottom to see and order them.

-
    Dr. and Mrs. Jacqueline Van Sertima
    © J.L.P. Van Sertima

Our urgent concern is to ensure the use of these books as texts in high schools and universities. The work of a whole generation of scholars will go to waste unless these works can enter “the curriculum of inclusion” or, as it is known in some circles, “the multicultural curriculum.”

This is the beginning of a major revolution in thinking, which goes beyond mere protest rhetoric which attempts, with the utmost seriousness, to change the perception, everywhere, of the role of people of African descent in the history of the world. This cannot be accomplished without the help of many people. We, therefore, urge you to join in this crusade. You can do this simply by completing your own library of books and by alerting family and friends, local bookstores and libraries, and your school systems at all levels, so that we may continue this critical revision of history.

Dr. Ivan and Mrs. Jacqueline Van Sertima

The thing about donating these kinds
of independent minded African Studies,
by Afrikan people and our allies, is
most local town librariesy eventually
chock them to discard. Ask me how I know.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the links.
Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Tukuler, have you ever been to Nicholas books in Brooklyn or Black and Noble in Philly?

I wish I could find some Van Sertima discards. You are right though I found alot of obscure books about Africa through discard. Most of the time some ebay seller will auction them off as little as .99. This is how I got many out-of-print and know expensive African history books.

Camwe R
Member # 14601

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camwe R   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a couple of the journals plus a few cassette tapes from interviews when he would appear on certain radio stations in New York, (WLIB & WBAI).

Someday I'll have to convert the tapes to mp3s. No time soon as there are at least a coupla hundred tapes going back to the late 70's.

--------------------
thank you for showing me what you are.

Posts: 3 | From: . | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
There are lots of his lectures already posted on youtube. The books are much harder to find and pricey.
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ausar:
Tukuler, have you ever been to Nicholas books in Brooklyn or Black and Noble in Philly?

I wish I could find some Van Sertima discards. You are right though I found alot of obscure books about Africa through discard. Most of the time some ebay seller will auction them off as little as .99. This is how I got many out-of-print and know expensive African history books.

I think Nicholas is more a culture shop
whereas Official Connection is books etc

In Philly, Hakim's was my old standby
but found excellent material from
the now gone Wm H Allen Booksellers
and more black oriented stuff from
Robin's (a white bookstore) downtown.
* Oshogbo House of Goods
* Merchants of Alkebulan
* 3rd Eye
were my mainstays for books clothes
and culture. Ask the Bass about the
Merchants.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com