EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Ancient Kush: the missing link? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ancient Kush: the missing link?
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may not like it
You may disagree with it
Doesn't make it BS

Could it be you don't
enough experience and
haven't bothered to
read Hansberry or his
source Griffith?

Everything is not online
Ever use a university
library to conduct
research?

Try it.

BTW that 1854 source remains the university standard for Latin language or didn't you
notice Tufts.edu?

Univ Chicago too http://perseus.uchicago.edu/Reference/geography.html

I enjoy the good company of Tufts and the
University of Chicago and innumerous students
accessing it thru either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dictionary_of_Greek_and_Roman_Geography

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Son of Ra:

@Djehuti

What I noticed is that his poor reading comprehensions is what always gets him in trouble. Always. He picks arguments with many people for no reason due to not even understanding the context of what they post. I've realized that from him ever since I joined this site. Either that or he's trolling.

Indeed. It's not even that he reads what is explicitly stated but rather conjures or imagines what he THINKS is implied in the writing even though such is not the case! In other words, reading between the lines things that aren't really there!

A perfect example of this is when he misconstrues Swenet's factual statements about certain unique genetic traits of Nile Valley Africans as somehow meaning they have no genetic relation to other Africans or that they are a 'Hamitic-Caucasoid' race and so therefore Swenet is "racist". And because I agree and reaffirm the same facts then I am an "undercover racist" too.

I recall how when I pointed out how Middle Eastern people display African genetic traits showing that they have northeast African ancestry that post-dates OOA, he then accuses me of doing the exact opposite--- white-washing northeast Africans! [Eek!]

I'm telling you the guy is suffering from paranoid schizo delusions!

quote:
Originally posted by Amanutjob The Ultimate:
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

In fact I clearly stated that the Noba i.e. ancestors of modern Nubians originated west, so what are you arguing about?!!

Ok, my mistake, I misread you on that one.
Actually your mistake is that you misread me and others ALL THE TIME! I suggest you get off this forum and seek professional help, you mental case.
Posts: 26285 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

Everything is not online
Ever use a university
library to conduct
research?

Try it.

That's stupid and you know it, you know perfectly well I often read and buy books which I even post exclusive extracts here.

My point still stand that your sources were dated and bad and the book excerpt posted by lioness by László Török (The Kingdom of Kush: Handbook of the Napatan-Meriotic Civilization ) is a much better source of information and practically a seminal work. It also support what was said before in this thread from various others sources like Rilly, another respected expert on Meroitic and Nilo-Saharan languages.

http://books.google.com/books?id=i54rPFeGKewC&pg=PA1&dq=%22L%E1szl%F3+T%F6r%F6k+%22%22++term+Nubia%22&hl=en&

This book is often cited by many other books.

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
[QUOTE]

Djehuti this is another empty post by you. You're even a bigger cry baby than Swenet. If I kicked your ass with argumentation in some other threads and you want to take me up on it. Just bump it up and reply to those thread instead of coming crying about it in this thread.
Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who said Torok isn't a good source?
Are we limited to only one source?
Nothing in Torok contradicts what I wrote.

I don't know anything about you (except
you will be contrary forever after the
first time someone disagrees with you)
nor do I want to know anything about you

I am here to know about
* Egyptology
* African Studies
* supportive disciplines

and really? You have no point.
You present nothing to disconfirms
only your opinion and it's not
about your opinion.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
^^ I told you your source of information were bad and I told you why. They are dated and not supported by other source. Then you went on to ignore my argumentation on why I think your source of information were bad to talk about some other stuff. For example I told you google search have no results related to QEVS and Keneset and you went on to talk about my suppose lack of book reading which is totally stupid as I often post exclusive book extracts here (and do read a lot). Then I told you about this work:

http://books.google.com/books?id=i54rPFeGKewC&pg=PA1&dq=%22L%E1szl%F3+T%F6r%F6k+%22%22++term+Nubia%22&hl=en&

Which is practically a seminal work on Kush and is referenced and cited by many books. You went on to ignore all my argumentation and posting stupid stuff about reading books.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

You don't have an argument just an opinion.

You fail to show

* Nubia does not derive from the Noba (sp)
* Qevs is not the root of Kush

To prove these negatives you need only
but produce other standard academic
etymological derivations for the terms.

You cannot do that. Just saying you have
is not the same as one by one
* presenting the word
* your presumed counter etymology for it
* complete citation of your references

I do know you like to argue for argument's
sake but I don't time to ring around the
mulberry bush with you. Put up or shut up
or go on nattering.

quote:

'Nubia' comes from the 4th century Noba
founders of Nobatae successor to Meroe.

NUBAE (link to the university standard)
Dictionary of Greek and Roman Geography (1854)
William Smith, LLD, Ed.

quote:

Originally posted 27 January 2005

• The Hebrew word Kush derives from the AEL word Kesh which
    which in turn comes from the word QEVS.

Hansberry (1977) say, after Sayce and Griffith of Oxford based on an
    inscription, the people under question themselves used Qevs as the
    original indigenous designation of their own country.

Unfortunately William Leo Hansberry died before he could publish that
    information in Africa & Africans himself and the published book's editor,
    Joseph Harris, occluded footnotes. However I did find this in the biblio:

Griffith, F. L.
    Meroitic Studies III and IV
    Journal of Egyptian Archeaology v4

London, 1917
    pp. 21-24, 159-173

The precise info can be retrieved via interlibrary loan at a university.

The northern part of QEVS they called Keneset while the
    southern area to clear past the 6th cataract they called Alu.

One of the northern divisions was known as Athiye whence
    Aethiopia, and one of the southern divisions was Yesbe.

Hansberry knew more than 100 native QEVS words for their
    towns and cities and neighboring inhabitations including
    designations that covered wide stretches of land and diverse
    groups of people but he didn't get to publish them. He does
    tell us that Meroe is from the QEVS word for the city Merheu.

Get off the internet. Go to a university
library. At least consult a professor.

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
quote:

* Nubia does not derive from the Noba (sp)
* Qevs is not the root of Kush

I don't have to disprove something you haven't proven yourself. The only thing or proof you posted about it are dated sources of information. The roots of Nubia has no importance as this is not a word Ancient Egyptians or Kushite ever used themselves in any of their literature to designate any people or territory. As for QEVS and Keneset, you also provide no proof beside your dated source and when you do a google search it doesn't gives you any results. So it can't be something supported by many sources.
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Anything you say bub.
Pop goes the weasel.
Knew you couldn't do
the academic exercise
of confirm/disconfirm
backed by standard
academic mainstream
references such as
provided by the
Tufts University or the
University of Chicago.

Do you really suppose Torok's
ultimate inscription source
references are not theose of
of Griffith? Do you imagine
for example that Akinaz' Stela
somehow changed from Griffith
day to Torok's. And isn't the
stela itself old and outdated?

Keneset? I know you can't read
hieroglyphic but try this search
kenset nubia egypt

ROTFLMAO. You're a riot, somebody
pick me up off the floor, please.

And now it's time I took my own advice
 -

Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amun-Ra The Ultimate:
^^Tukuler what you posted above is bullshit. One source is 1854 the other 1917 and when you do a google search on QEVS and Keneset it doesn't provide any results.

The google book excerpt thelioness posted by László Török (The Kingdom of Kush: Handbook of the Napatan-Meriotic Civilization ) is a much better source of information and practically a seminal work (often cited in many books).

It is sad that you call the citations of Tukuler bs, because if you read the post from Torok you would note that he also cites Giffith.

Torok notes that the Meroites called their country Kush. He notes that the term was used in the incriptions of Tanyidamani. I deciphered the entire inscriptions years ago and published it in Nubica.

-

Check out this decipherment of the Tanyidamani Stela the longest Meroitic inscription discovered so far.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/91808168/The-Inscriptions-of-Tanyidamani

-

___________ (1998c). The inscriptions of Tanyidamani. Nubica et Ethiopica IV \ V, 355-388.

'
 -

This is the longest Meroitic inscription.

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:

It is sad that you call the citations of Tukuler bs, because if you read the post from Torok you would note that he also cites Giffith.

Yes, it is a symptom of the current
ES malady: going against anything
and everything a poster says, due
to personality issues, instead of
being guided by the materials a
poster cites.

At some point a fool must be left to his
folly and readers can chose to side with
personalities or learn from cited source
material references.

Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Yes, I said Tukuler's post was bullshit but I also challenged him to produce other sources, maybe from this era, mentioning "QEVS they called Keneset". When I do a google search on "QEVS" and "Keneset" together I don't see any source (in fact ZERO). Yes, I call that bullshit and I stand by my opinion.

https://www.google.com/?q=QEVS+Keneset

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also see this 2014 item

The Double Kingdom Under Taharqo: Studies in the History of Kush and Egypt
By Jeremy W. Pope

http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=1m_AAgAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR

Posts: 42937 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Anything you say bub.
Pop goes the weasel.
Knew you couldn't do
the academic exercise
of confirm/disconfirm
backed by standard
academic mainstream
references such as
provided by the
Tufts University or the
University of Chicago.

Do you really suppose Torok's
ultimate inscription source
references are not theose of
of Griffith? Do you imagine
for example that Akinaz' Stela
somehow changed from Griffith
day to Torok's. And isn't the
stela itself old and outdated?

Keneset? I know you can't read
hieroglyphic but try this search
kenset nubia egypt

ROTFLMAO. You're a riot, somebody
pick me up off the floor, please.

And now it's time I took my own advice
 -

Exactly the reason why I no longer respond to Ahmanutcase the Ultimate. There is no arguing with fools.
Posts: 26285 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nebsen
Member # 13728

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebsen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://video.pbs.org/video/2365324865/

"Rise Of The Black Pharaohs" on most local PBS stations. They are at it again, with more lies & distortions. This is the very first time I've seen such programming on PBS !! I believe they are preparing for the up roar for the film" Gods & Kings" by Ridely Scott, a remake of the Exodus story I.E." The Ten Commandments" called" Gods & Kings" with an all white cast ! The only Black people are slaves . PLEASE PROTEST IF APPEARS ON YOUR LOCAL PBS STATION ! email PBS your disapprove letting them know they can't pull the wool over your (our) collective eyes !

Posts: 135 | From: Bay Area | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barachit
Member # 21812

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barachit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for the contributions, there are a lot of valuables materials in this thread. I also saw that some other topics related to Kush were created or re-actualise, that's great!
Posts: 26 | From: Memphis | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com