EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » MODERN EGYPTIANS on average are mostly of FOREIGN ANCESTRY ??? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: MODERN EGYPTIANS on average are mostly of FOREIGN ANCESTRY ???
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MODERN EGYPTIANS on an average for the whole country
are mostly (51% +)
of FOREIGN ANCESTRY ???

prove it with genetics

Posts: 42939 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tropicals redacted
Member # 21621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tropicals redacted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not contact the authors of the study in question here?

You know, take it up with them,then let us know how you got on.

Posts: 805 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no particular study in mind but I hear the claim on Egyptsearch all the time that the majority of Modern Egyptians are not descendants of the ancient Egyptians or if not have very little ancestry descendant of the ancient Egyptians

Now it's time to prove that claim with genetics, that is the challenge

Posts: 42939 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R.Havoc
Banned
Member # 18722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for R.Havoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
are mostly (51% +)
of FOREIGN ANCESTRY ???

prove it with genetics

What the study showed is that, Non-Africans are closely related to Egyptians, because those were the likely first Africans to invade the rest of the world.

Therefore, Egyptians are Africans, but Specifically Divergent (Local) from other Africans. Their connection to Non-Africans is Genetic, but I would say it was more likely a bi-directional Genetic Flow between Egyptians leaving Africa and Mixed Egyptians coming back to Africa (Egypt).

Posts: 496 | From: Greenland | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
I'll say it again, you have to listen

I have no particular study in mind

but I hear the claim on Egyptsearch all the time that the majority of Modern Egyptians are primarily of foreign ancestry, that they are mainly the result of a history of invasions by non-Africans

And it's true Egypt was invaded several times

I'm asking people to prove by genetics that these invasions were to the extent changing the population of Egypt on average to be primarily (50% +) foreign non-Africans, prove that genetically

I'm talking about the majority of modern Egyptian today, is their ancestry more African or more foreign, prove it genetically with data on DNA

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh pshaw you provoker

That was done in the
Berbers are not primarily African thread
a little over a year ago.

Why bother w/u when its
in one ear and out the other
or
through the front door and out the back

• A good capsule of Ennafaa's (2011, Fregel co-author) data
    for our purposes are Tables S5 & S6 with the Figure 4 pie.

Here are TS5 & TS6 with Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, and
    Egypt population frequencies for select mtDNA & nrY Hgs.
     -
     -
     -

Out of Ennafaa's selected African samples
    * Egypt is not primarily African

•  -
     -

quote:
are mostly (51% +)
of FOREIGN ANCESTRY ???

prove it with genetics

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
  • Sanchez-Quinto's (2012 with Botigue, Comas & Lalueza-Fox
    co-authors) Table 1 clearly quantifies their Figure 1.

Here are those charts reordered from inner Africa to
    Atlantic and Mediterranean North Africa to Arabian
    Peninsula to European Union Mediterranean countries
    along with the Canaries.

-
     -

My Maghreb, Berber, and North African frequencies respect
    Sanchez-Quinto's assignment of geographic ancestries, which
    are in his own words, labeled according to the region where
    the component is the commonest

How does Sanchez-Quinto's genetic report show support or
    disconfirmation of the statement Berbers are not primarily African?

His pertinent national samples say

* Libya is not primarily African
    * Tunisia is primarily African
    * S Maroc is primarily African
    * W Sahara is primarily African
    * Algeria is primarily African
    * N Maroc is primarily African.

-

Above are the African vs non-African SNP
    frequencies of each selected African nation
    and grouped views of them as

* an Atlanto-Mediterranean Africa superset
    * a limited Tamazgha subset, and
    * a core Maghreb subset.

All three sets refute Berbers not primarliy African.
    All three sets support Berbers are primarily African.

Sanchez-Quinto's study is focused on
    North African populations. It attempts
    to discern Neanderthal genome influx.

Also from the Berbers are not primarily African thread qv.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
berbers is off topic

The majority population of modern Egypt is not berber

ausar please delete the berber stuff

Also it's improper referencing, where are the article titles ??

-unprofessional

tropicals redacted
Member # 21621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tropicals redacted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Lioness
quote:
I have no particular study in mind but I hear the claim on Egyptsearch all the time that the majority of Modern Egyptians are not descendants of the ancient Egyptians or if not have very little ancestry descendant of the ancient Egyptians

Please, your question quite clearly arose from yesterday's thread on the Humans Trekked Out of Africa Via Egypt study. You wrote:

quote:
Let's see somebody prove with genetics they [modern Egyptians] are 80% foreign

And:

quote:
Not including this article do you think modern Egyptians on average for the whole country are more than half non-African
or less than half non-African ?

Again, why not contact the authors? Rather than speculating as to whether you think they're wrong, e-mail them. Then let us know what they say. I would suggest that to anyone else who has questions with their findings.
Posts: 805 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Again,

I was inspired by the other thread to do this topic because it reminded me of something people bring up frequently on Egyyptsearch. Hence I have moved the topic to a different forum People say here that modern Egyptians are primarily foreigners to Africa in their ancestry and this is the result of a history of invasions. So I don't need to contact the authors of Tracing the Route of Modern Humans out of Africa by Using 225 Human Genome Sequences because I am interested in articles focused on people coming into Egypt and the makeup of modern Egyptians rather than OOA migrations paper. So you can ask me ten times to contact the authors of the OOA paper and I'm not going to do it. This is a new topic on Egyptian demographic ancestry not AMH OOA
I am interested in the raw haplotype data and Tukuler understood this but instead of being concise to the topic he merely copy and pasted a lot of other remarks about berbers and didn't link article titles.

Anyway the info he posted might be applicable to the inquiry

quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

-
 -
 -

^^^ O.k. somebody new comes in and there's no article title and link to see what they say about samples for the data etc, that is basic respect to the reader

Anyway the info can be used to answer the question because this is not only authors as in the second post giving percentages African/Non African this has HG frequencies. That is what I'm looking for.

Tukular says this show Modern Egyptians are less than 50% African and the HGs are listed in the left column
However for this new thread and any new readers what is required is a break down of what HGs are African and which are not and to go over that again for old readers

Then is needed is the sum total African vs non-African of Egyptians

And if the ancestry of modern Egyptians is even say on average 30% related to specific alleles of ancient Egyptians that could be more than any other group.

-But at the same time they could be a primarily Non-African population but in order to prove that you need to indicate what the foreign haplogroups are if you want to say they are primarily foreign, that is basic and that is not in the thread yet

tropicals redacted
Member # 21621

Rate Member
^
Seems to me that, rather than getting anything approaching an expert opinion, you'd prefer to muddy the waters. Your raising this topic at this moment in time is everything to do with undermining the results of the paper released yesterday.

If you contacted the authors of the study, they could clarify their methodologies and findings for you, and give you insight into how they arrived at their 80% average. But you know there's a risk that you wouldn't be able to run your sh1t with them. That's why you prefer internet speculation, rather than anything too conclusive. You know how damaging that would be for you, so you're being evasive. It's pretty obvious really.

quote:
So you can ask me ten times to contact the authors of the OOA paper and I'm not going to do it. This is a new topic on Egyptian demographic ancestry not AMH OOA

zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent roundup Tukler! And the DNA is backed by cranial
data as well showing that late period samples are
not typically Egyptian (Zakrewski)

quote:

-
     -
     -

•  -
     -

-

-

-----------------------------------------------------

OLDER DNA TRIBES DATA + cranial data

new
 -

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
are mostly (51% +)
of FOREIGN ANCESTRY ???

prove it with genetics

What makes it partially difficult is that Northeast Africa obviously had outgoing populations. So SNP's found in the region can be due to outgoing as it expanded outside of Africa.

Therefore are being claimed as "so called" Eurasian.

Posts: 22243 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asar Imhotep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings Tukler

Is this study saying that the Egyptian admixture of EurAsians is 67%? This coming from the chart you posted below:

-

Posts: 853 | From: Houston | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ledama Kenya
Member # 21677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ledama Kenya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asar Imhotep.did you get my email.I have tried to email you with no success.I always get the msg,'u must log in first'but after I have logged in and rewrite my post again,I hit send,but it tells me the same thing.
Posts: 306 | From: Kenya | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ledama Kenya
Member # 21677

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ledama Kenya     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will just repost it here but remove my email.
just saw your interview with Dr Sambu today on YouTube,WHAT A HUMBLE MAN..I was really impressed.I have personally never met him in person but I want to.please hook me up..I am working on ancient Egyptian transliteration system based on proto-kalenjin instead of Coptic as the ones used by modern egyptologists.proto-kalenjin is closer to ancient Egyptian than both boharic and sahidic Coptic.Take away Phoenician,Hebrew and classical Greek from Coptic,you are left with with demotic Egyptian which is mostly proto-kalenjin.To get proto-kalenjin I will have to sample all the kalenjin dialects I.e kipsigis,nandi,tugen,pokot,marakwet,sebei.Asar whenever u wanna come to Africa to do a linguistic research,I will be ur host.Kenya is a good place to start,3 language groups of Africa out of 4 are found in Kenya alone ;1) afro-asiatic cushitic(somalis,borana/oromo), also many semitic speaking Ethiopians are found in Nairobi and Mombasa.2)Nilo-Saharan maasai,luo,redo,turkana and samburu.3)Bantu,over 30 tribes,largest being Kikuyu and Luhya.Kenya is a linguistic paradise a most unique African country.In case you decide to come know that my house is your house,I will be your host.thanks

Posts: 306 | From: Kenya | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Asar Imhotep
Member # 14487

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Asar Imhotep   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LEDAMA:
Asar Imhotep.did you get my email.I have tried to email you with no success.I always get the msg,'u must log in first'but after I have logged in and rewrite my post again,I hit send,but it tells me the same thing.

Greetings Ledama. Where were you trying to email me at? My website (www.asarimhotep.com)?
Posts: 853 | From: Houston | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Asar Imhotep:
Greetings Tukler

Is this study saying that the Egyptian admixture of EurAsians is 67%? This coming from the chart you posted below:

-

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Tukuler critcized xyyman for altering charts
Now the above chart was made from scratch by Tukuler and he has devised his own terminology and consolidations

-and he has not referenced the article title or the Table he interpreted

- Although his compiled figures and terms are fair to the intent of the article

And now Asar Imhotep is asking about it when if the link was there he wouldn't have had to

Here is the full reference, this should have stated in on the Tukular charts as >>

" data compiled from Table 1 of

North African Populations Carry the Signature of Admixture with Neandertals 2012

Federico Sánchez-Quinto

PLoS One. 2012; 7(10): e47765.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3474783/

^^^ Now we have the full citation that makes for easy access to the Egyptsearch readership

And here is the pertinent quote from the article:
quote:

We ran ADMIXTURE for k equal 2 to 7 and obtained CV errors, and determined that the best k (the one with lowest cross-validation error) is k = 4. Results (Figure 1) are coincident with those previously published [17] and show that North Morocco, Libya and Egypt carry high proportions of European and Near Eastern ancestral components, whereas Tunisian Berbers and Saharawi are those populations with highest autochthonous North African component....

The results of the f4 ancestry ratio test (Table 2 and Table S1) show that North African populations vary in the percentage of Neandertal inferred admixture, primarily depending on the amount of European or Near Eastern ancestry they present (Table 1). Populations like North Morocco and Egypt, with the highest European and Near Eastern component (∼40%), have also the highest amount of Neandertal ancestry (∼60–70%) (Figure 3). On the contrary, South Morocco that exhibits the highest Sub-Saharan component (∼60%), shows the lowest Neandertal signal (20%). Interestingly, the analysis of the Tunisian and N-TUN populations shows a higher Neandertal ancestry component than any other North African population and at least the same (or even higher) as other Eurasian populations (100–138%) (Figure 3).....

With the current data, however, it is not possible to discard the ancient African substructure hypothesis [8]. Although ours and some previous results [9] tend to favor the admixture hypothesis as the most plausible one, we think that a complete clarification of this issue can only be achieved with a Neandertal high coverage genome, such as this recently achieved for Denisova [32]. This, and sequencing data of North African populations, especially those with a high autochthonous component, may help elucidate more precisely the interbreeding process with Neandertals. In any case, our results show that Neandertal genomic traces do not mark a division between African and non-Africans but rather a division between Sub-Saharan Africans and the rest of modern human groups, including those from North Africa.

-

Ok go to Tukular's version of this chart, top of post

he has

EGYPTIAN (modern) =

33% African
19% Berber
67% Eurasian

and as corresponding to the

Sánchez-Quinto Table (bolded) >>

EGYPTIAN (modern) =

33% African
[ 19% N. Mahgreb + 14% Sub Saharan]

67% Eurasian
[37% Europe + 30% Near East]

That's a fair interpretation. However it's not the raw haplotype data and these terms have their ambiguities

ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Greetings Tukler

-

HTP Asar Imhotep

Unfortunately there is no understanding
my synopsis on its own without taking
the thread into consideration so please
avail yourself a printout of the Berbers
are primarly not African
thread to
peruse at your leisure.

Meanwhile here is the corrected post
featuring what I used from Sanchez-
Quinto (2012)

• Originally posted 14 March, 2014 4:45 PM

Sanchez-Quinto's (2012 with Botigue, Comas & Lalueza-Fox

along with the Canaries.

-
     -

-

* a core Maghreb subset.

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:

Greetings Tukler

-

HTP Asar Imhotep

Unfortunately there is no understanding
my synopsis on its own without taking
the thread into consideration so please
avail yourself a printout of the Berbers
are primarly not African
thread to
peruse at your leisure. You should start @ p15

Meanwhile here is the corrected post
featuring what I used from Sanchez-
Quinto (2012)

• Originally posted 14 March, 2014 4:45 PM

Sanchez-Quinto's (2012 with Botigue, Comas & Lalueza-Fox

along with the Canaries.

-
     -

-

* a core Maghreb subset.

Also be sure to download print and read
the Sanchez-Quinto (2012) report itself.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

More on the above for Asar Imhotep:

• quote:

Clyde and Swenet even felt compelled to write their own threads for alternative points of view

. . .

Although Tukualr might have some issues with how certain haplogroups are categorized bewteen African and Eurasian,

for the purposes of argument he accepted the authors of these articles indications.
    He has not spent this thread questioning those indications
    . That was not the theme of this thread.

I made it plain I want this thread as robust as possible.

Nobody had to start alternative threads to express
    their view. I invited Clyde to park all his stuff here.
    I didn't personally invite Swenet but he too is for
    sure welcome to post his viewpoint here (sans
    annoying distractive gifs that make the thread
    clownish).

And yes I explicitly wrote when I posted my first
    analysis that I'm ignoring assignment controversies
    so as to let the reports as published speak through
    their raw data.

I chose the latest uniparental reports that examined
    both the maternal and paternal DNA and covered a
    berth of North African nationalities. One can simply
    look at the tables and figures I included from those
    studies to see what geography was assigned to what
    haplogroup.
    In some cases perusal of the text was
    necessary.

I noted where authors recognized that a given haplogroup
    assignment can and does differ from its parent or umbrella
    macrohaplogroup geography.

A child is not the parent and the reductio ad absurdum
    argument about lumping all children by their parent's
    geography ultimately resolves to making them all African.

Strongly opinionated objectors don't care. They
    only care for their own point of view regardless
    of attempted objectivity. If they want to broach
    grandstanding emotionally appealing threads let 'em.

The problem I'm having with autosomals is that of the
    recent studies I found with pertinent STRUCTURE or
    ADMIXTURE skylines (Henn, Botigue, Sanchez-Quinto)
    only the one I posted yesterday clearly delineates geographies.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

quote:

I am interested in the raw haplotype data and Tukuler understood this but instead of being concise to the topic he merely copy and pasted a lot of other remarks about berbers and didn't link article titles.

Anyway the info he posted might be applicable to the inquiry

Besides being a talented boy
I am a busy man, preoccupied
of late with offline real life
matters.

Anyone of medium intelligence
can extract the Egypt material.
I have no interest in trimming
my old postings down to Egypt
only. Do you think I produced
that stuff in mere minutes back
then?

Your best bet is to follow
Trops advice and correspond
with report authors. Until
you learn to do that you will
never earn your bachelor's
degree from EgyptSearch U. [Wink]

Meanwhile bright post grads
Cardova
and
Gebor
will soon attain to their PhD's.

Ledama Kenya
Member # 21677

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by LEDAMA:

Greetings Ledama. Where were you trying to email me at? My website (www.asarimhotep.com)?
I tried to send you a private message using my Egypt search account but it was frustrating,now I got ur email account I will contact you soon.Thanks..htp
Amun-Ra The Ultimate
Member # 20039

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amun-Ra The Ultimate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
MODERN EGYPTIANS on average are mostly of FOREIGN ANCESTRY ???
So what?

We know modern egyptians are not the same as the ancient due mostly to post dynastic greek, roman, persian, arab, etc migrations. They are a nice mix of all those people including indigenous Ancient Egyptians (aka black Africans).

Since modern Egypt have a high proportion of African ancestry in their populations, it shows us that the original population was African. Especially considering Ramses III was E1b1a and the DNA analysis of the Ancient Egyptian mummies (JAMA, BMJ, DNA Tribes, etc).

Posts: 2981 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Amun-Ra The Ultimate:
quote:
So what?

We know modern egyptians are not the same as the ancient due mostly to post dynastic greek, roman, persian, arab, etc migrations. They are a nice mix of all those people including indigenous Ancient Egyptians (aka black Africans).

Since modern Egypt have a high proportion of African ancestry in their populations, it shows us that the original population was African. Especially considering Ramses III was E1b1a and the DNA analysis of the Ancient Egyptian mummies (JAMA, BMJ, DNA Tribes, etc).

The thread title is a question hence the ?? marks
Just becuase you can point to invasion that does not mean the people are not primarily native because of it

However they might not be

and that can be examined by DNA

sub title of the thread:

What is the genetic ancestry on average of modern Egypt?
I'm waiting to see if anybody has more articles on modern Egyptian DNA

tropicals redacted
Member # 21621

Rate Member
^ Why not contact Pagani?
Maybe he'd have information for you that helps with the answers you're looking for.

Or are you intentionally trying to obfuscate, intentionally swimming in denial?

quote:
Just becuase you can point to invasion that does not mean the people are not primarily native because of it

sub title of the thread:

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rosenberger et al. Dog chasing his tail

That is why the frequency in "Eurasain" increases AWAY from Africa in some studies.

But in the Trekk paper(Pagani) they masked/removed the "Eurasian" components and indentified true "back-migration" as foriegn. The debate is "when", Turk or Saudi? .

The author referenced TS2 for an explanation of the "mid-point ". The table does not explain how they came up with the Islamic Expansion. It shows the "event" took place 750ya +-25y. midpoint 750ya

quote:
Originally posted by Troll Patrol # Ish Gebor:
quote:
are mostly (51% +)
of FOREIGN ANCESTRY ???

prove it with genetics

What makes it partially difficult is that Northeast Africa obviously had outgoing populations. So SNP's found in the region can be due to outgoing as it expanded outside of Africa.

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
So what?

sub title of the thread:

It's the same hogwas with you over and over again.

Ancient Egyptians were examend to be tropical adapted while Eurasians weren't. It ends right there!

Posts: 22243 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:

"Ancient Egypt belongs to a language
group known as 'Afroasiatic' (formerly
called Hamito-Semitic) and its closest
relatives are other north-east African
languages from Somalia to Chad. Egypt's
cultural features, both material and
ideological and particularly in the earliest
phases, show clear connections with that
same broad area. In sum, ancient Egypt
was an African culture, developed by
African peoples, who had wide ranging
contacts in north Africa and western
Asia."

--Robert Morkot (2005) The Egyptians: An Introduction. p. 10)

quote:
"The ancient Egyptians were not 'white' in any European sense, nor were they 'Caucasian'... we can say that the earliest population of ancient Egypt included African people from the upper Nile, African people from the regions of the Sahara and modern Libya, and smaller numbers of people who had come from south-western Asia and perhaps the Arabian penisula."
--Robert Morkot (2005). The Egyptians: An Introduction. pp. 12-13

quote:
"Over the last two decades, numerous contemporary (Khartoum Neolithic) sites and cemeteries have been excavated in the Central Sudan.. The most striking point to emerge is the overall similarity of early neolithic developments inhabitation, exchange, material culture and mortuary customs in the Khartoum region to those underway at the same time in the Egyptian Nile Valley, far to the north." (Wengrow, David (2003) "Landscapes of Knowledge, Idioms of Power: The African Foundations of Ancient Egyptian Civilization Reconsidered," in Ancient Egypt in Africa, David O'Connor and Andrew Reid, eds. Ancient Egypt in Africa. London: University College London Press, 2003, pp. 119-137)
--O'Connor, David B., Reid, Andrew

Ancient Egypt in Africa

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:
quote:
So what?

sub title of the thread:

You have been answered a few times all ready, but your intelligence and comprehension is lacking, thus you iterate. Then when the same is being posted you'll say it has been posted 166 times already.
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
Rosenberger et al. Dog chasing his tail

That is why the frequency in "Eurasain" increases AWAY from Africa in some studies.

But in the Trekk paper(Pagani) they masked/removed the "Eurasian" components and indentified true "back-migration" as foriegn. The debate is "when", Turk or Saudi? .

The author referenced TS2 for an explanation of the "mid-point ". The table does not explain how they came up with the Islamic Expansion. It shows the "event" took place 750ya +-25y. midpoint 750ya

quote:
quote:
are mostly (51% +)
of FOREIGN ANCESTRY ???

prove it with genetics

The masked likely can be found in older papers by the leading author Luca Pagani.

quote:
The presence of three diverse Afro-Asiatic branches (Omotic, Semitic, and Cushitic) makes the Horn of Africa one potential source of this family, although the Ethio- Semitic branch is likely to have originated at a later stage in the Middle East. 23 The Nilotic languages, represented in Ethiopia by the East Sudanic, Kunama, and Koman branches, are more widespread in Sudan, and their presence in Ethiopia is probably the result of recent demo- graphic processes.24 Similarly, genetic studies indicate that a major component of recent Ethiopian ancestry originates outside Africa: for example, half of the mtDNA haplo- types16 and more than one-fifth of Y haplotypes17 found in Ethiopia belong to lineages that, on the basis of phylo- geographic criteria, have been attributed to a non-African rather than a sub-Saharan African origin. These historical admixture events are themselves of interest to historians, anthropologists, and linguists, as well as to geneticists.

Our current study is motivated by four questions. First, where do the Ethiopians stand in the African genetic landscape? Second, what is the extent of recent gene flow from outside Africa into Ethiopia, when did it occur, and is there evidence of selection effects? Third, do genomic data support a route for out-of-Africa migration of modern humans across the mouth of the Red Sea? Fourth, assuming temporal stability of current popula- tions, what are the estimated ages of Ethiopian popula- tions relative to other African groups? In order to address these questions, we generated genome-wide SNP geno- types from Ethiopian individuals.

Given that little genetic information on Ethiopian pop- ulations was available in advance, we sought to analyze a broad sample of 188 Ethiopians from ten diverse popula- tions, chosen from a collection of > 5,000 samples assem- bled by N.B.25,26 The samples genotyped included repre- sentatives of a range of geographical regions and all four linguistic groups (Semitic, Cushitic, Omotic, and Nilotic). For comparative studies, we combined our Ethiopian data with published data from the HGDP27 and HapMap39 projects, as well as more focused studies.28,29 Furthermore, to compensate for the lack of published data of popula- tions immediately surrounding Ethiopia, we additionally genotyped 24 South Sudanese and 23 Somali samples.

--Luca Pagani et al.

Ethiopian Genetic Diversity Reveals
Linguistic Stratification and Complex Influences on the Ethiopian Gene Pool

http://ac.els-cdn.com/S0002929712002716/1-s2.0-S0002929712002716-main.pdf?_tid=e88f9ce0-0861-11e5-86fe-00000aab0f6b&acdnat=1433165411_29304448c50c840101aafd47eadcec81

Yet, we have Jibril Hirbo, Sara Tishkoff saying this:

quote:
Human genetic variation particularly in Africa is still poorly understood. This is despite a consensus on the large African effective population size compared to populations from other continents. Based on sequencing of the mitochondrial Cytochrome C Oxidase subunit II (MT-CO2), and genome wide microsatellite data we observe evidence suggesting the effective size (Ne) of humans to be larger than the current estimates, with a foci of increased genetic diversity in east Africa, and a population size of east Africans being at least 2-6 fold larger than other populations. Both phylogenetic and network analysis indicate that east Africans possess more ancestral lineages in comparison to various continental populations placing them at the root of the human evolutionary tree. Our results also affirm east Africa as the likely spot from which migration towards Asia has taken place. The study reflects the spectacular level of sequence variation within east Africans in comparison to the global sample, and appeals for further studies that may contribute towards filling the existing gaps in the database. The implication of these data to current genomic research, as well as the need to carry out defined studies of human genetic variation that includes more African populations; particularly east Africans is paramount.

[...]

Table 1 shows the population parameters and selective neutrality test (Tajima’s D) based on MT-CO2 variation of all continental groups, mean values and test of significance for the obtained values. Tajima’s D (Table 1) scored negative values consistent with human expansion within and outside of Africa (or exchange of alleles between neighboring demes, see discussion below) with satisfactory statistical scores. The transition to transversion ratio of 2:1 in our reported Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs) is consistent with being at the root of the gene tree and with neutral evolution distance based analysis using FST for mtDNA sequences and RST for microsatellite data were carried out for subsequent MDS plotting and a population by population correlation comparison using Mantel Test. The result showed no correlation with a P value of 0.66 similar to comparison between mitochondria and Y chromosome variations reported earlier [16].

[...]

The third cluster (C), includes members of almost all world populations particularly non-Africans who share a major haplo- type that seems to have originated within an east African gene pool (Table S1 and Figure 3).

[...]

Mutations and Haplotypes Frequencies in the MT-CO2

The sheer number of haplotypes, a basic measurement of genetic diversity, is also taken as an indication of Ne. As mitochondria are non-recombining the number of mutations and haplotypes is quite correlated. In the MT-CO2 sequence 68 haplotypes were estimated using Arlequin ver3.11 and assigned numbers from 1 to 68. Haplotype relative and absolute frequencies in the studied populations were also calculated. Strikingly, of the total 68 haplotypes, 43 occurred solely in east Africa (Table S1) of which 25 were in Sudanese, 9 in Eritreans and 5 in Ugandans and one Kenyan. The rest of the haplotypes were derived from or included east Africans with exception of 13 haplotypes, 4 in Africa 2 in Australia, 3 in Europe 1 in Arabia 1 America/Africa and 1 Europe/Africa. Of the 42 haplotype defining mutations (Table S2) in Sudanese and Eritreans 11 (26.2%) were non-synonymous (replacements) occurring in trans-membrane domain of COII protein while 31 (73.8%) were synonymous with transitions representing the majority of the mutations. Out of the 42 mutations (Table S2), 31 were previously reported in the literature and 11 were novel. All mutations in Ugandan MT-CO2 samples are synonymous and reported at http://dspace.nwu.ac.za/handle/10394/422​1). All published haplogroups associated with the mutations are indicated in Table S2.

--Jibril Hirbo, Sara Tishkoff et al.

The Episode of Genetic Drift Defining the Migration of Humans out of Africa Is Derived from a Large East African Population Size

PLoS One. 2014; 9(5): e97674.
Published online 2014 May 20. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0097674

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4028218/pdf/pone.0097674.pdf

And surprisingly the following was stated by Brenna Henn, in this interview on population genetics and population structure, considering African populations. "AND WITHIN EACH OF THESE GROUPS THERE IS AN AMAZING AMOUNT OF DIVERSITY, [...] THE DIVERSITY IS INDIGNIOUS TO AFRICAN POPULATIONS":

Tracing Family Trees, And Human History, With Genetics

http://youtu.be/Pjf0qKdzmrc

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Well at least we know that R1b1a2 is only 1 per cent among modern-day Egyptians.

Which means which more than 50 per cent of all men in Western Europe, indicating that they share a common ancestor. And up to 70% of British men, who do not cluster.

Hats off to iGENEA for bolstering their claims. [Big Grin]

The above appears to be a downstream of R1b1a or R-V88. [Big Grin]

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

You have been answered a few times all ready, but your intelligence and comprehension is lacking, thus you iterate. Then when the same is being posted you'll say it has been posted 166 times already.

One poster is one opinon, one set of sources for modern Egyptian DNA

Tukular posted data indicating the populaltion of modern Egypt is average is more foreign in ancestry than African based on the below Hg percenatges.
Do you agree or should I assume everything he say you automatically agree with?

And with all your quoting you still haven't produced additional article sources breaking down modern Egyptian DNA, try to focus

quote:

-
     -
     -

Therefore to claim that Egypt is not primarily African one has to assume that there are non African haplogroups in this chart (which ones? ) and that their percentages total more than 50% of the average modern Egyptian DNA
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always speculated that YDNA J2 IS Levant/Turkey (not J1). At 12% looks like my hunch is right😊

Where is the origin of J2? IIRC J2 has a city/coastal dispersion . 12% matches 18% SNP?

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
so xxyman, modern Egyptians are 88% African and only 12% i Ottoman Turk ?
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
so xxyman, modern Egyptians are 88% African and only 12% i Ottoman Turk ?

I leave the additional article sources up to you.

I have explained my part, and so did others.

I am sure it was painful to read with I have posted, and it will come at handy when you post the additional article sources. I can assure you. Since ancient Egyptians arose form the South, those citations were particularly important. Since it manifested those regions. [Big Grin]

"only 12% i Ottoman Turk", While you're at it , you may want to look up Ottoman Turk gene pool. [Big Grin]

WE ARE NOW IN SEARCH OF UP AND DOWN STREAMS. [Big Grin]

quote:
The geographic location of Egypt, at the interface between North Africa, the Middle East, and southern Europe, prompted us to investigate the genetic diversity of this population and its relationship with neighboring populations. To assess the extent to which the modern Egyptian population reflects this intermediate geographic position, ten Unique Event Polymorphisms (UEPs), mapping to the nonrecombining portion of the Y chromosome, have been typed in 164 Y chromosomes from three North African populations. The analysis of these binary markers, which define 11 Y-chromosome lineages, were used to determine the haplogroup frequencies in Egyptians, Moroccan Arabs, and Moroccan Berbers and thereby define the Y-chromosome background in these regions. Pairwise comparisons with a set of 15 different populations from neighboring European, North African, and Middle Eastern populations and geographic analysis showed the absence of any significant genetic barrier in the eastern part of the Mediterranean area, suggesting that genetic variation and gene flow in this area follow the "isolation-by-distance" model. These results are in sharp contrast with the observation of a strong north-south genetic barrier in the western Mediterranean basin, defined by the Gibraltar Strait. Thus, the Y-chromosome gene pool in the modern Egyptian population reflects a mixture of European, Middle Eastern, and African characteristics, highlighting the importance of ancient and recent migration waves, followed by gene flow, in the region.

--Manni F1, Leonardi P, Barakat A, Rouba H, Heyer E, Klintschar M, McElreavey K, Quintana-Murci L.

Hum Biol. 2002 Oct;74(5):645-58.

Y-chromosome analysis in Egypt suggests a genetic regional continuity in Northeastern Africa.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Table S5: Populations considered for the mutations defining major clades A1b, A1a and A2-T. (Egypt)

quote:

9 Northern Egyptians
10 Egyptian Berbers from Siwa
11 Egyptians from Baharia
12 Egyptians from Gurna Oasis
13 Southern Egyptians

http://www.cell.com/cms/attachment/1088206/8032906/mmc1.pdf
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@lioness. To be honest. No. I don't believe Pagani's 80% numbers. Why? For two reasons.

1. 80% implies almost total population replacement. Very unlikely.
2. We have to look at things holistically ie all inclusive. The SNP must corroborate the HG. Most modem Egyptians carry African lineage with an African origin. Male J2 is the only one with Turk/Levantine origin.

So. DNATRIBE numbers for SNP Is more in line with HG and not Pagani's. irregardless, modern Egytptians is the most admixed of modern North African populations!!!

Also, the sample size was unusually small. As one poster asked earlier. Who were the Egyptians sampled? If it were city dwellers vs tribesmen, then that would explain the 80% foreign material.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
@lioness. To be honest. No. I don't believe Pagani's 80% numbers. Why? For two reasons.

2. We have to look at things holistically ie all inclusive. The SNP must corroborate the HG. Most modem Egyptians carry African lineage with an African origin. Male J2 is the only one with Turk/Levantine origin.

So. DNATRIBE numbers for SNP Is more in line with HG and not Pagani's. irregardless, modern Egytptians is the most admixed of modern North African populations!!!

It doesn't have to be a population replacement. It can be an increase of the segment (population of region wise). Most Egyptians life in urban areas like Cairo. These places also had most foreign people migrating there. Which is an historical fact.

-

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/egypt-population/

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Agreed. The Turks simply had more babies is another possibility. But isn't that also a form of population replacement? But you get my point.

quote:
quote:

I dopen t have to be a population replacement. It can be an increase go the segment.

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Agreed. The Turks simply had more babies is another possibility. But isn't that also a form of population replacement? But you get my point.

quote:
quote:

I dopen t have to be a population replacement. It can be an increase go the segment.

Yes, you can consider that population replacement as well.

It's also the most logical explanation. Considering the statistics on population density.

44% of the population is urban (36,713,659 people in 2014).

The population more than tripled since the 1950. Going from 25,000,000 to 84,627,891. Centuries ago it was way smaller, only a few million.

This source also shows the Sinai.

-

-

Migrants

-

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

quote:
quote:

Yes, you can consider that population replacement as well.

It's also the most logical explanation. Considering the statistics on population density.

The population more than tripled since the 1950. Going from 25,000,000 to 84,627,891. Centuries ago it was way smaller, only a few million.

This source also shows the Sinai.

-

-

Migrants

-

Of course you are absolutely correct. But these scientists play games with the facts and will sample a few people in Cairo and claim that those samples represent "all Egypt". Never will you see samples of people from different parts of Egypt just to compare the dna results between populations WITHIN the country. Obviously the DNA of folks closer to Aswan will be different to those closer to Israel. And the DNA of he bedouins in the Sinai different from the Siwa folks in the West of the country. So there would be different clusters of DNA reflecting different population histories in different parts of the country. Not to mention the DNA for folks like the Bedja nomads in Upper Egypt. And this is not acceptable for so-called scientists in the year 2015 to be playing these games where even a lowly non scientific layman can call them on their BS.

But of course this is the whole point. To promote such BS as 'scientific' when it is only really just irrelevant data used to reinforce the nonsense arguments put forward by idiots online who want to pretend to know what they are talking about.

Just think about this and you will see how OBVIOUSLY intentional it is that they DON'T do a comprehensive DNA study across Egypt or ANY North African country. Egypt has been long the site of much European research since Napoleon. It has been debated over in terms of the origins of the ancient Egyptians for hundreds of years. Not to mention it has been identified as one of the routes for humans out of Africa. Yet to this day you don't have a comprehensive study of the DNA across the various population across the entire country. Yet you will keep seeing studies comparing Egyptian DNA, other North African DNA, European and Arab DNA all over the net. So how does that make sense if it isn't intentional. If all populations in Egypt don't have the same DNA cluster then which population are you using as the basis for comparison? And given the population changes over the last 50 years, what does that say about the DNA clusters of folks in Cairo vs isolated population still in and around Aswan or Siwa or in various desert communities? Obviously they don't care about that because they just want to claim that Europeans are close to the ancient Egyptians which is nonsense. The population density maps of ancient Egypt would have been exactly the opposite of what you have today which means the DNA clusters would have been totally different.

Posts: 8897 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R.Havoc
Banned
Member # 18722

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for R.Havoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This sounds like a response from someone who has never studied anything about the internal migration patterns within Egypt.
The great majority of the people in Cairo and Alexandria migrated from the villages to those bigger cities. So, basically, a big city like Cairo has people from all over Egypt, North (Delta Farmers), Upper Egypt, Aswan, Nubians, Gypsies, Bedouins, Copts, and many others. Almost every Egyptian ethnic group has some relatives that live and work in Cairo.

The scientists are actually very smart people and know what they're doing and most of the facts point to a differentiated North African Population that had close affinities to Eurasian before Ancient Egypt, During Ancient Egypt's Dynastic Era, and the same pattern seems to hold true in Modern Egypt as well.

You're upset, because they're Not Related to West Africans. But reasonable People should be able to connect the dots and stop believing in Santa Claus.

quote:

Of course you are absolutely correct. But these scientists play games with the facts and will sample a few people in Cairo and claim that those samples represent "all Egypt". Never will you see samples of people from different parts of Egypt just to compare the dna results between populations WITHIN the country. Obviously the DNA of folks closer to Aswan will be different to those closer to Israel. And the DNA of he bedouins in the Sinai different from the Siwa folks in the West of the country. So there would be different clusters of DNA reflecting different population histories in different parts of the country. Not to mention the DNA for folks like the Bedja nomads in Upper Egypt. And this is not acceptable for so-called scientists in the year 2015 to be playing these games where even a lowly non scientific layman can call them on their BS.

But of course this is the whole point. To promote such BS as 'scientific' when it is only really just irrelevant data used to reinforce the nonsense arguments put forward by idiots online who want to pretend to know what they are talking about.

Just think about this and you will see how OBVIOUSLY intentional it is that they DON'T do a comprehensive DNA study across Egypt or ANY North African country. Egypt has been long the site of much European research since Napoleon. It has been debated over in terms of the origins of the ancient Egyptians for hundreds of years. Not to mention it has been identified as one of the routes for humans out of Africa. Yet to this day you don't have a comprehensive study of the DNA across the various population across the entire country. Yet you will keep seeing studies comparing Egyptian DNA, other North African DNA, European and Arab DNA all over the net. So how does that make sense if it isn't intentional. If all populations in Egypt don't have the same DNA cluster then which population are you using as the basis for comparison? And given the population changes over the last 50 years, what does that say about the DNA clusters of folks in Cairo vs isolated population still in and around Aswan or Siwa or in various desert communities? Obviously they don't care about that because they just want to claim that Europeans are close to the ancient Egyptians which is nonsense. The population density maps of ancient Egypt would have been exactly the opposite of what you have today which means the DNA clusters would have been totally different.

Posts: 496 | From: Greenland | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tropicals redacted
Member # 21621

Rate Member
@Caveman

So you're saying that regardless of whether the randomly selected sample of 100 in the Pagani study was chosen in Lower Egypt, they would still be representative of the country's population?

You do remember that the average non-African ancestry of the 100 was 80%, don't you?

quote:
The great majority of the people in Cairo and Alexandria migrated from the villages to those bigger cities. So, basically, a big city like Cairo has people from all over Egypt, North (Delta Farmers), Upper Egypt, Aswan, Nubians, Gypsies, Bedouins, Copts, and many others. Almost every Egyptian ethnic group has some relatives that live and work in Cairo.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
@Swenet.
??? DNAconclutant and their games...hit me up.

I will walk you through it. Only TWO STR is gives you a preliminary indication of geographic origin. Want me to explain it to you. I did it before but you probably forgot....

-

===
The genetic characteristics of these loci, such as chromosomal locations, repeat motifs, range of repeat sizes commonly found in different populations, are available in the product brochures of the commercial kits currently validated for such purposes [6, 7]. Several features are clear from the summary characteristics of these STR loci. First, all but two of the 13 STR loci are located on different chromosomes. The two (CSF1PO and D5S818) that are located on the same chromosome are also far apart (CSF1PO is localized to 5q33.3-34 and D5S818 to 5q23.3-32).

Read more: http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/thread/1364/introduction-str-population-codis#ixzz3bwUoqz00

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Oh! and BOTH STR and SNP agree. indigenous North Africans are just as African as West Africans(Aframs). Notice..Egyptians were NOT included. So, eyeballing does NOT work.

-

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Caveman:
This sounds like a response from someone who has never studied anything about the internal migration patterns within Egypt.

The scientists are actually very smart people and know what they're doing and most of the facts point to a differentiated North African Population that had close affinities to Eurasian before Ancient Egypt, During Ancient Egypt's Dynastic Era, and the same pattern seems to hold true in Modern Egypt as well.

You're upset, because they're Not Related to West Africans. But reasonable People should be able to connect the dots and stop believing in Santa Claus.

quote:

Statistics and historical accounts tell otherwise. LOL

So does anthropology. The Northern populations is mainly intermediate, while more to the /south they get tropical adapted in limb ratio and body portions as did ancient Egyptians. This is why we know what you post it a hoax. LOL

-

Migrants

-

This is probably the source you used:
Most Egyptians are descendants of the ancient Egyptians, a people who originated in northeastern Africa

http://referaty.aktuality.sk/egypt/referat-12431

LOL pure semantics.

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egypt is far from homogenous but at the current rate of growth and the way populations are being moved out of their ancient ancestral homelands, it will soon be homogenous and the original indigenous element wiped out. Of course Europeans would be none the happier.

https://books.google.com/books?id=MRJgAwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Posts: 8897 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

The population more than tripled since the 1950. Going from 25,000,000 to 84,627,891.

So what, they had a high fertility rate that is not relevant to ancestry unless it's primarily due to immigration which it's not
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com