EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Correspondence with the Elisabeth Daynes studio (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Correspondence with the Elisabeth Daynes studio
tropicals redacted
Member # 21621

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for tropicals redacted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After seeing that the ‘When to use black and not to’ thread continues to attract comments, I thought I’d bring a dose of reality to the discussion. BlessedbyHorus starts the thread with:

quote:

No anthropologist will out right say the Ancient Egyptians were "black"! That is just a fact neither would they say the Ancient Egyptians were white or whatever.

Keita for example who is a well known anthropologist refrains from using racial terms. He never in any of his works outright said the Ancient Egyptians were "black" and yet by reading his work and using common sense we know what he is saying.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=009335;p=1

But, with respect BBHorus, it’s not just that anthropologists won’t use the term “black” (although forensic anthropologists do), it’s the fact that the scholarship accumulated by Keita et al, isn’t always adhered to within Egyptological pronouncements on population backgrounds, nor in representations of ancient Egyptians. That’s why the need remains.

Anyway, in the summer of last year, I tried to contact Elisabeth Daynes, who produces “hyper realistic” facial reconstructions in her Paris studio:

quote:

08/09/2015

Dear Elisabeth

I would [like] to ask, how does somebody become a practitioner in facial reconstruction?

What sort of qualifications do you need?

quote:

11/09/2015

Sorry not to have responded to you sooner.

We have seen your first email but we were closed for the whole month of August.

As far as Elisabeth is concerned she studied by herself. She studied special effects make-up and went into prehistory randomly after an order
of prehistoric men. She then studied by herself compared anatomy and went to many congresses of anthropology abroad.

Otherwise another solution, but that concern only sapiens, is to study forensic facial reconstruction at University.

We hope this is helpful to you.

Have a very pleasant weekend.

All the best

Peggy Martin

quote:

13/09/2015

Dear Peggy
Many thanks for the helpful response.
I was also hoping you might be able [to help with] another question.
You mentioned that she went to anthropological congresses abroad, so I wondered whether, when Elisabeth paints the flesh tones of reconstructions, she take[s] into consideration migration and population change.

For example, she paints her ancient Egyptians in light skin colours.
I wanted to ask if she knew about Egyptian population change and that the indigenous dynastic population was African.

Do you know how she determines skin colour for these particular reconstructions?

quote:

14/09/2015

She always works with a scientific team (for skin color with Nina Jablowski when possible) and they all decide of the skin color depending
on flora and fauna found on site or available scientific information.

About Egypt, we know what you mean and we totally agree with you, skins «should » be darker for most of them. However, we work on order and are
stuck into fierce debates. So we ask museums in their explanations to the public to write that color of eyes, hair (+ amount of hair) and skin are only hypothesis.
We hope the study of ancient DNA will solve definitively this issue in the
future and give us more influence for this choice.

All the best

Peggy

Ahhh, seems to me that hyperrealism falls by the wayside when it comes to Africa -- the “scientific information” is not being allowed to feed through.

Think why?

When the ancient Egyptians are fairly depicted as Africans, then the descriptor “black” can be dropped.

Posts: 805 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just proof of the point that the whole issue is one of skin color and that European racism is primarily based on skin color. The word "black" simply is rejected in Egypt because it refers to ranges of colors that European scientists have been spending the last 200 years trying to remove from the ancient Egyptian population. This is not an issue of words, it is an issue of skin color. People need to stop thinking this is an issue of words. That bullsh*t has nothing to do with it. No matter how you call it or describe it or what words you want to use, Europeans will argue and debate if you try and portray the ancient Egyptians as black Africans because of their racism based on skin color. Period. Some people just don't want to accept this fact. The whole when to use black thread just shows how some of us who should know better waste a lot of time and energy debating over nonsense rather than focusing on the fundamental facts of what this is all about.

quote:

About Egypt, we know what you mean and we totally agree with you, skins «should » be darker for most of them. However, we work on order and are
stuck into fierce debates. So we ask museums in their explanations to the public to write that color of eyes, hair (+ amount of hair) and skin are only hypothesis.

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug M:
This is not an issue of words, it is an issue of skin color. People need to stop thinking this is an issue of words.

^yes

tropicals redacted you are mixing up two different things.

a) accurate depiction of skin tone in reconstructions

b) application of a word

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
However, we work on order and are

Interesting.
Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol her excuse seems curious - but could be that the museums in
question specified a certain skin color. To get paid, she has to
play ball. If she was TOO realistic, commissions might be
cut back by those who control the purse strings. The outcome
is inevitable. And lol, museums saying such and such is a
hypothesis won't make much difference, when they are paying for a
certain "look". If it is "hypothetical" why don't they have a variety
of models? Uh huh, I thought so.. Thankfully there are
other artists who are more willing to be accurate.
Richard Neave might be one on some works. Kudos to him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/romania/5273654/Scientists-reveal-face-of-the-first-European.html

It is to be expected that "the establishment" will pursue certain
things. They have a lot invested in Egypt- a whole edifice of
appropriation & hypocrisy centuries old. Change will not be rapid.
Our part is to keep building up a strong, credible, independent
base of information- that can be drawn on for analysis, synthesis,
battle or public presentation, etc in multiple venues. Too often some
rely on rhetoric or volume in this area rather than sober analysis.
Doesn't take a college degree but will take willingness to study.
Doesn't need one center but a broad, general "operational unity."
Different people can work different street corners- with
different angles, using the same common benchmark data and
understandings.

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zarahan- aka Enrique Cardova:
lol her excuse seems curious - but could be that the museums in
question specified a certain skin color. To get paid, she has to
play ball. If she was TOO realistic, commissions might be
cut back by those who control the purse strings. The outcome
is inevitable. And lol, museums saying such and such is a
hypothesis won't make much difference, when they are paying for a
certain "look". If it is "hypothetical" why don't they have a variety
of models? Uh huh, I thought so.. Thankfully there are
other artists who are more willing to be accurate.
Richard Neave might be one on some works. Kudos to him.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/romania/5273654/Scientists-reveal-face-of-the-first-European.html

It is to be expected that "the establishment" will pursue certain
things. They have a lot invested in Egypt- a whole edifice of
appropriation & hypocrisy centuries old. Change will not be rapid.
Our part is to keep building up a strong, credible, independent
base of information- that can be drawn on for analysis, synthesis,
battle or public presentation, etc in multiple venues. Too often some
rely on rhetoric or volume in this area rather than sober analysis.
Doesn't take a college degree but will take willingness to study.
Doesn't need one center but a broad, general "operational unity."
Different people can work different street corners- with
different angles, using the same common benchmark data and
understandings.

Basically all her work shows white folks. No matter the timing.

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=008928

Posts: 22234 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

http://www.natgeocreative.com/photography/963248

-
Daily Mail

^^^ It's funny how they switch up versions of this, some lighter than others

-

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep. That says it all "we work on order"??

quote:
Originally posted by Ish Gebor:
quote:
However, we work on order and are

Interesting.

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
 -

http://www.natgeocreative.com/photography/963248

-
Daily Mail

^^^ It's funny how they switch up versions of this, some lighter than others

-

LOL This is depiction of his throne, as is in the Musuem of Cairo. I have seen it myself. How about you?

See, you are such an pathetic and irrational person, you'll go on about this for years. lol

-

https://youtu.be/4Hyqwnmnbew

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

quote:

-

https://youtu.be/4Hyqwnmnbew [/QB]

I have seen the Tutankhamen artifacts in person.
If he was portrayed in a movie with the above skin tone I would support it 100%

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
 -

quote:

-

https://youtu.be/4Hyqwnmnbew

I have seen the Tutankhamen artifacts in person.
If he was portrayed in a movie with the above skin tone I would support it 100%

Glad you did.

I did not see this part in your post, so sorry I misunderstood. I am really annoyed by Elisabeth.

quote:
It's funny how they switch up versions of this, some lighter than others

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Here's another bait and switch:

-

-

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/pharaoh-chariot.html

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

quote:
I am really annoyed by Elisabeth.

quote:

[/QB]
Above is her basic presentation without the trick switch lighting.
Obviously the skin tone is too light.
If you are that annoyed with her prove it by send her an email requesting that they re-do the skin tone to match the art.

It doesn't matter if they re-do it or not the point will be delivered to the one that made it.

http://www.daynes.com/fr/contact-atelier-daynes.html

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

quote:
I am really annoyed by Elisabeth.

quote:

[/QB]
Above is her basic presentation without the trick switch lighting.
Obviously the skin tone is too light.
If you are that annoyed with her prove it by send her an email requesting that they re-do the skin tone to match the art.

It doesn't matter if they re-do it or not the point will be delivered to the one that made it.

http://www.daynes.com/fr/contact-atelier-daynes.html

OR

ail : info@daynes.com

This is the scam they play, the switch. Above the image that went to the media. Below on her website they try to hide the crime with lighting

http://www.daynes.com/fr/reconstitutions-hominides/homo-sapiens-toutankhamon-35.html

-

beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
 -

Understand people, this is a reconstruction. Its is not supposed to look exactly like the real person, its only an approximation. I actually view this image in a certain light now that I saw an Egyptian who looked like this reconstruction. Does this look like king tut? I would say somewhat......in the same vein as your dead relative who doesn't look like they did in life as they sit in their casket. NO they dont look "the same" but you recognize they are the same individual and the bodies have not been switched.

I have no doubt that with any of these reconstructions you could send them back through time and their family would recognize them as the individual.

Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kdolo
Member # 21830

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kdolo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop

--------------------
Keldal

Posts: 2818 | From: new york | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol!! The FB crew, man, what are they smoking in that room? Open the windows!!!! let the smoke out. Put down the bong! lol!

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
lol!! The FB crew, man,
I wasn't going to post here, but since Xyyman insists on lumping us together...

This is happens when you get a room full of ideologues together. They start gassing each other up to the point where they start believing their own fantasies. The same thing happened with the looney tune who made the OP. He gets exposed to people like you and within no time he tries to bite the hand that feeds him and lecture me on how ancient Egyptian reconstructions are suspect unless they look racially 'black'. You people don't even progress. You're going backwards compared to early ES days.

What's mainly wrong about that reconstruction is his skin color and maybe aspects of his nose. Not the general look of the reconstruction. Look at his reconstructed aunt (KV35YL) and reconstructed father (KV55) and tell me how Tut's reconstructed face differs substantially in terms of facial structure. Also look at the other Tut reconstructions. Do you mean to tell me that the facial structure of this reconstruction is a complete outlier?

Don't implicate me in dumb sh!t Xyyman. I have no time for your "FB group vs Egyptsearch" bs. If you want to think that Tut looked like something else, you're free to delude yourself. But don't make me out to be the fringe guy.
 -  -

^Tut and his father—two completely different reconstructions but there is an obvious overlap. Same with his aunt:

-

EDIT:
Correction. KV35YL is his mother, not his aunt.

EDIT:
Actually, she's both his aunt and his mother.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took pictures...give me a minute.
Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kdolo
Member # 21830

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for kdolo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What's mainly wrong about that reconstruction is ".....

That it is completely unnecessary.

We have the bust.

So why do a reconstruction that looks nothing like the actual image ??

--------------------
Keldal

Posts: 2818 | From: new york | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by beyoku:
I took pictures...give me a minute.

The images are **** as it is under low light and not with the persons knowledge.

-

-

You can still get the overall impression of the face. Upon seeing the individual I immediately knew he was Egyptian and I thought he looked like king Tuts reconstruction.

kdolo
Member # 21830

Rate Member
Yes. Like the 'reconstruction'.

But the reconstruction is a fraud.

Check the bust.

--------------------
Keldal

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
lol! Mexican dope? :D
Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
quote:
lol!! The FB crew, man,
I wasn't going to post here, but since Xyyman insists on lumping us together...

This is happens when you get a room full of ideologues together. They start gassing each other up to the point where they start believing their own fantasies. The same thing happened with the looney tune who made the OP. He gets exposed to people like you and within no time he tries to bite the hand that feeds him and lecture me on how ancient Egyptian reconstructions are suspect unless they look racially 'black'. You people don't even progress. You're going backwards compared to early ES days.

What's mainly wrong about that reconstruction is his skin color and maybe aspects of his nose. Not the general look of the reconstruction. Look at his reconstructed aunt (KV35YL) and reconstructed father (KV55) and tell me how Tut's reconstructed face differs substantially in terms of facial structure. Also look at the other Tut reconstructions. Do you mean to tell me that the facial structure of this reconstruction is a complete outlier?

Don't implicate me in dumb sh!t Xyyman. I have no time for your "FB group vs Egyptsearch" bs. If you want to think that Tut looked like something else, you're free to delude yourself. But don't make me out to be the fringe guy.
 -  -

^Tut and his father—two completely different reconstructions but there is an obvious overlap. Same with his aunt:

-

EDIT:
Correction. KV35YL is his mother, not his aunt.

EDIT:
Actually, she's both his aunt and his mother.

No, the point of the OP was to show that there is an agenda in European institutions based around skin color when it comes to representing ancient Egyptians. This isn't about the reconstruction having a similarity to any generic Egyptian ancient or modern. It is about the accuracy of the reconstruction relative to the remains and ancient depictions of the boy King Tutankhamun. And in all aspects the reconstruction is totally unlike that person, in skin color and features. Not to mention the funny looking lips which are totally unrealistic. This shows that not only were they not interested in realistic skin colors but also making sure that the lips don't match the reality of the African features of the deceased.

-

-

That is a perfectly valid and logical observation.

To sit here and claim that this is 'scientifically objective' is simply to deny the reality of the facts of racism within Egyptology and to give them some sort of 'objective cover' when most folks should know better, as evidenced in the claimed correspondence from the OP. But we didn't need that to know this. The point being that one aspect of white supremacist propaganda is to promote the idea that the white phenotype has always been dominant throughout the history of mankind no matter how far you go back, which is an absolute lie.

Posts: 8889 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Doug M

You don't have the slightest clue what I was talking about, do you? In the post you're addressing right now it says the level of skin pigmentation is wrong. So why are you trolling me by trying to 'convince' me that there is an agenda to give the wrong levels of skin pigmentation as if I didn't just acknowledge that? I only referred to the OP once in my post and that was in relation to the following 2014 statement the OP keeps trying to defend, to this day:

quote:
I don't think I'm being radical, or diverging from the evidence here, but I'm pretty confident that if you took every indigenous ancient Egyptian skull ever found, and where possible, subjected them to 'blind' reconstruction under the supervision of someone with Keita-like knowledge...then most of the reconstructions would evoke someone of black African descent.
What do you think about this use of 'black' that centers around reconstructible facial features as opposed to skin pigmentation? And do you agree that that 'most' observation is necessarily true? Straight answers, please. And post evidence if you agree.

quote:
The point being that one aspect of white supremacist propaganda is to promote the idea that the white phenotype has always been dominant throughout the history of mankind no matter how far you go back, which is an absolute lie.

I thought you were of the mindset that 'white' strictly referred to a level of skin pigmentation and not a set of reconstructible facial features? That's what you tried to defend over dozens of thread pages in the other thread. Now what am I supposed to think right now? See how you leave me no other choice than to conclude that you're flip flopping?
Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by beyoku:
quote:
 -

Understand people, this is a reconstruction. Its is not supposed to look exactly like the real person, its only an approximation. I actually view this image in a certain light now that I saw an Egyptian who looked like this reconstruction. Does this look like king tut? I would say somewhat......in the same vein as your dead relative who doesn't look like they did in life as they sit in their casket. NO they dont look "the same" but you recognize they are the same individual and the bodies have not been switched.

I have no doubt that with any of these reconstructions you could send them back through time and their family would recognize them as the individual.

Geographically Tut's burial was found in the South. How come and why not demographically represent him as the average boy from the South.

King Tut died from sickle-cell disease, not malaria

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/history/king-tut-died-from-sickle-cell-disease-not-malaria-2010531.html

Map of the distribution of the βS gene in Africa

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/221717766_fig1_Map-of-the-distribution-of-the-bS-gene-in-Africa

-

-

-

-

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The profile sketch does not resemble
the profile reconstruction as any
portrait artist can attest.

-  -

The recon
* nose isn't flat at all, the bridge sticks out at the eyes
* nose tip is angular
* cheek is rather flat and high at eye not the jaw
* mouth has overbite
* top lip is thin
* bottom lip is tiny
* chin recedes

Also the nasion to chin angle is lesser.

https://www.slideshare.net/mobile/Abomustafa/anatomy-of-the-skull

-

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S2176-94512011000300009

-

-

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
The profile sketch does not resemble

-  -

The recon
* nose tip is angular
* mouth has overbite
* top lip is thin
* bottom lip is tiny
* chin recedes

Radiologists Attempt to Solve Mystery of Tut's Demise

-

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=009356

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] The profile sketch does not resemble

-  -
(reconstruction (drawing of Akhenaten)

The recon
* nose tip is angular
* mouth has overbite
* top lip is thin
* bottom lip is tiny
* chin recedes

Akhenaten drawing compared to Elisabeth Daynes reconstruction outlined

In my opinion they are pretty similar, the red line is derived mechanically from the Elisabeth Daynes

-

the differences with the Elizabeth Daynes is mainly, has a smaller lower lip, receding lower jaw, nose slightly longer.
The fleshy and cartilage areas like the lip and nose are least predicted by the skull
Otherwise they are quite similar
Of course he would also have to compared to his mother

-
Here is the Akhenaten skull. A large portion is missing so the nose portion is guessed by the artist

-
Same Akhenaten skull full profile angle

Tutankhmun left profile
 -
Tutankhmun left flipped right
 -
the chin looks quite receding

-

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
nose collapse on Tutankhamen mummy

-
BBC One documentary Tutankhamun: The Truth Uncovered reveals the first ‘virtual autopsy’ scans of the boy king
(BBC = Better to Be Caucasian)

-
Elisabeth Daynes Tutankhamun 2005 in normal lighting, National Whitographic

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I showed by standard. anthropological
survey how the two differ so thanks
for proving it via the overlap. The
nose alone is enough to show
no resemblance ('flat' vs 'Grecian').

I recommend

Manual of Physical Anthropology.

Juan Comas.

Thomas, Springfield, Ill., 1960.
xxi + 775 pp. Illus

and will not further discuss this
without reference to forensic
anthropology measure vs
unguageable opinion.

/close subtopic

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Quote:

''and will not further discuss this
without reference to forensic
anthropology measure vs
unguageable opinion.''

I like it. :) That is way to improve the quality of posting.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
http://www.heptune.com/

Heptune's purpose is humor and information, preferably both at the same time!

-
In this drawing by Megaera Lorenz, we see (from left to right) Anguirus, Data, Dr. Smith, Akhenaten and Cab Calloway playing poker for rotifers. Betty Boop is the rotifer girl, providing rotifers (in the little jars) as needed. Click on the various parts of the image to explore Heptune's pages!

Megaera Lorenz
Educational Programming Specialist at Oriental Institute Public Education Office, Chicago

http://www.heptune.com/artgal.html

Megaera Lorenz's Amarna Art Gallery page, Heptune

-
This is my attempt at a portrait in colored pencil. I am still learning the medium, but hopefully I will have it under control soon.

-
This is one of my few portraits of Nefertiti. I often get frustrated trying to draw her, and still have not really managed to produce a really satisfying portrait of her. The medium is pencil.

-
This was an early reconstruction of the KV55 mummy, which I did when I was about 12 or 13. I did not actually trace the skull, so the result is pretty different from what I got later

-
I made this drawing by tracing the skull of the mummy from tomb KV55 and then adding flesh to the outline of the skull, so hopefully this is a fairly accurate rendering of what the person would have looked like in life. The identity of this mummy is still disputed. Some believe it to be Akhenaten himself, and others believe it to be his youger co-regent, Smenkhkare. In any case, this young man has a classic Amarna family profile. The medium is pencil on tracing paper.

So we have an employee of Oriental Institute Public Education Office
making some amateur pictures of Egyptians on a private website described as " Heptune's purpose is humor and information"

-- this is a forensic specialist ???

are you kidding me ???

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
http://www.egyptian-museum-berlin.com/c52.php

-
Head of a Statue of Akhenaton, flipped horizontally

-

Head of a Statue of Akhenaton
New Kingdom, Dynasty 18, ca. 1340 BC
Stucco/gypsum
Amarna
Height 26 cm
Inv.-No. ÄM 21351

-
Tutankhamun

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Don't be such a dumbassed liar.

The anthropology is comparing
the sketch to the recon bitch.

Not that one is more forensic
than the other, what ever that
whack idea of yours is sposed
to mean, lol.

But then intelligent readers
aren't swayed by your over
obvious ridiculing distortion
in lack of comparing measures
or non metrics, something you
don't know how to do and refuse
to learn as easy as it is.

Any serious readers wanna
talk about it fine I'll entertain
them but you can keep up the
clowning for the set who are
swayed by ridicule and reverse
cheerleading. And, on top of it
all, I'm not the one who posted
the sketch or proposed it for
serious consideration.

1  - <- this img cannot be restored
2  -
3  -

1 and 2 have much more in common than do
2 and 3
or
1 and 3.

3 would belong to s different anthro
set or grouping were one to consider craniology
in the least.

That's all Not iinterested in the type
of readership who goes by who had
the last word.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -
Akhenaten KV55

I challenge anybody to produce metrics describing the sinus cavity on this skull

Also don't address me with low class language

quote:

The recon
* nose tip is angular
* mouth has overbite
* top lip is thin
* bottom lip is tiny
* chin recedes

^ as if this is forensic terminology what a joke

Look at the skull

Now read this

"* nose isn't flat at all, the bridge sticks out at the eyes
* nose tip is angular"

how ridiculous

*note: craniology is not sculpture, and stop using my pics

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
@Doug M

You don't have the slightest clue what I was talking about, do you? In the post you're addressing right now it says the level of skin pigmentation is wrong. So why are you trolling me by trying to 'convince' me that there is an agenda to give the wrong levels of skin pigmentation as if I didn't just acknowledge that? I only referred to the OP once in my post and that was in relation to the following 2014 statement the OP keeps trying to defend, to this day:

quote:
I don't think I'm being radical, or diverging from the evidence here, but I'm pretty confident that if you took every indigenous ancient Egyptian skull ever found, and where possible, subjected them to 'blind' reconstruction under the supervision of someone with Keita-like knowledge...then most of the reconstructions would evoke someone of black African descent.
What do you think about this use of 'black' that centers around reconstructible facial features as opposed to skin pigmentation? And do you agree that that 'most' observation is necessarily true? Straight answers, please. And post evidence if you agree.

quote:
The point being that one aspect of white supremacist propaganda is to promote the idea that the white phenotype has always been dominant throughout the history of mankind no matter how far you go back, which is an absolute lie.

I thought you were of the mindset that 'white' strictly referred to a level of skin pigmentation and not a set of reconstructible facial features? That's what you tried to defend over dozens of thread pages in the other thread. Now what am I supposed to think right now? See how you leave me no other choice than to conclude that you're flip flopping?

My point is your post contradicts itself. On one hand you admit the skin color is off but on the other say this matches with other similar depictions (as if to say it is somewhat accurate. Overall my opinion it is off on all aspects period, color only being one aspect.
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
F u c k you.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by the lioness,:

Also don't address me with low class language

and stop using my pics.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
My point is your post contradicts itself. On one hand you admit the skin color is off but on the other say this matches with other similar depictions (as if to say it is somewhat accurate. Overall my opinion it is off on all aspects period, color only being one aspect.

When I compared the pale Tut reconstruction with his aunt/mother and his father I was strictly referring to the general appearance of the facial structure of that Tut reconstruction and how people are trying to disown it by implying it's a complete outlier.

quote:
Overall my opinion it is off on all aspects period, color only being one aspect.

This is exactly what I mean when I say that most people on this forum have no idea what the population affinities of Nile Valley populations are. You're stuck in the same forum, high-fiving each other's fantasies and doling out co-signs. But at the end of the day you're clueless. Go read what Susan Anton said happened when she plugged measurements from Tut's Xray into Fordisc. How is that Fordisc assignment even remotely possible if, as you say, the reconstruction is "off on all aspects, period". Susan agreed the cranium was African and she said it looked North African to her (which she said doesn't mean coastal North African). You people supposedly read papers on ancient Egyptian population affinity for decades, but in the things you say it tells me that you don't have a grasp on the subject. It's just embarrassing at this point.

Anyway, can you respond to the below, please. Then I can be on my way again.

quote:
^What do you think about this racial use of 'black'? Is it acceptable? And what about this opinionated drivel that it's necessarily the case that someone with tropically adapted skin would have to have facial features that look a certain way? What do you make of this brainless racial essentialism?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

-
lips and chin altered only (Adobe blackalizer filter)

Now without touching the nose, the nose looks different for some reason
-but it's not, it's the brain hardwiring

Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Punos_Rey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]
 -

QUOTE]

Swenet, is this supposed to be Akhenaten? Do you have a link where I can see more views of this reconstruction?

Posts: 574 | From: Guinee | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

FORDISC is a known flawed application.

Please update if down level I remember
the below from a while back

-----------------------

NCBI
Skip to main content
Skip to navigation
Resources
How To
About NCBI Accesskeys
Sign in to NCBI
PubMed
US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health
Search databaseSearch termSearch
AdvancedHelp
Result Filters
AbstractSend to:
Biol Lett. 2009 Dec 23;5(6):849-52. doi: 10.1098/rsbl.2009.0462. Epub 2009 Jul 8.

FORDISC and the determination of ancestry from cranial measurements.

Elliott M1, Collard M.

Author information

Abstract

Determining the ancestry of unidentified human remains is a major task for bioarchaeologists and forensic anthropologists. Here, we report an assessment of the computer program that has become the main tool for accomplishing this task.

Called Fordisc, the program determines ancestry through discriminant function analysis of cranial measurements. We evaluated the utility of Fordisc with 200 specimens of known ancestry. We ran the analyses with and without the test specimen's source population included in the program's reference sample, and with and without specifying the sex of the test specimen. We also controlled for the possibility that the number of variables employed affects the program's ability to attribute ancestry.

The results of the analyses suggest that Fordisc's utility in research and medico-legal contexts is limited.

Fordisc will only return a correct ancestry attribution when an unidentified specimen is
more or less complete, and
belongs to one of the populations represented in the program's reference samples.

Even then Fordisc can be expected to classify
no more than 1 per cent of specimens with confidence.

PMID: 19586965 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] PMCID: PMC2827999 Free PMC Article
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
Publication Types, MeSH Terms

LinkOut - more resources

PubMed Commons home
PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons
Supplemental Content
Full text links

Save items
Add to Favorites
View more options
Similar articles
Accuracy of metric sex analysis of skeletal remains using Fordisc based on a recent skull collection.
[Int J Legal Med. 2007]
Accuracy and reliability in sex determination from skulls: a comparison of Fordisc® 3.0 and the discriminant function analysis.
[Forensic Sci Int. 2011]
Application of FORDISC 3.0 to explore differences among crania of North American and South African blacks and whites.
[J Forensic Sci. 2013]
Review Determination of Race from the Skeleton through Forensic Anthropological Methods.
[Forensic Sci Rev. 1995]
Review [Cranial morphology of modern kyongsangnam-do Koreans].
[Kaibogaku Zasshi. 1995]
See reviews...
See all...
Cited by 1 PubMed Central article
Using CRANID to test the population affinity of known crania.
[J Anat. 2012]
Related information
References for this PMC Article
Free in PMC
Cited in PMC
Recent Activity
ClearTurn Off
PubMed
Punctuated bursts in human male demography inferred from 1,244 worldwide Y-chrom...
PubMed
Tracing the paths of modern humans from Africa
Testing modern human out-of-Africa dispersal models and implications for modern ...
PubMed
Concordance of cranial and dental morphological traits and evidence for endogamy...
PubMed
See more...
You are here: NCBI > Literature > PubMedWrite to the Help Desk
Simple NCBI Directory
GETTING STARTED
NCBI Education
NCBI Help Manual
NCBI Handbook
Training & Tutorials
Submit Data
RESOURCES
Chemicals & Bioassays
Data & Software
DNA & RNA
Domains & Structures
Genes & Expression
Genetics & Medicine
Genomes & Maps
Homology
Literature
Proteins
Sequence Analysis
Taxonomy
Variation
POPULAR
PubMed
Bookshelf
PubMed Central
PubMed Health
BLAST
Nucleotide
Genome
SNP
Gene
Protein
PubChem
FEATURED
Genetic Testing Registry
PubMed Health
GenBank
Reference Sequences
Gene Expression Omnibus
Map Viewer
Human Genome
Mouse Genome
Influenza Virus
Primer-BLAST
Sequence Read Archive
NCBI INFORMATION
About NCBI
Research at NCBI
NCBI News
NCBI FTP Site
NCBI on Facebook
NCBI on Twitter
NCBI on YouTube
NLM NIH DHHS USA.gov
National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine
8600 Rockville Pike, Bethesda MD, 20894 USA
Policies and Guidelines | Contact

Tukuler
Member # 19944

A more favorable report

_---------------;

NCBI
Skip to main content
Skip to navigation
Resources
How To
About NCBI Accesskeys
Sign in to NCBI
PubMed
US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health
Search databaseSearch termSearch
AdvancedHelp
Result Filters
AbstractSend to:

J Forensic Sci. 2013 Nov;58(6):1579-83. doi: 10.1111/1556-4029.12198. Epub 2013 Jul 18.

Application of FORDISC 3.0 to explore differences among crania of North American and South African blacks and whites.

L'Abbé EN1, Kenyhercz M, Stull KE, Keough N, Nawrocki S.

Author information

Abstract
Using discriminant function analysis, classification accuracies for ancestry and sex in white and black South Africans were compared using
North American (FDB),
African groups in Howells (HDB), and
South African (SADB) databases
in FORDISC 3.0. (FD3).

Twenty-four standard linear measures were collected from a total of 86 black and 101 white crania obtained from the Pretoria Bone Collection.

White and black South Africans classified
73% correctly in FDB,
55% correctly in HDB, and
71% correctly in SADB.

The percentage of atypical cases was higher with FDB than SADB.

In all three databases, misclassification occurred more with sex than ancestry revealing differences in sexual dimorphism between population groups.

Broad ancestral differences may explain low misclassification rates for ancestry.

FD3, with a modern South African reference sample, can assist South African anthropologists to standardize methodology and to justify procedures for estimating ancestry.

© 2013 American Academy of Forensic Sciences.
KEYWORDS:
South Africa; ancestry; discriminant analysis; forensic anthropology; forensic science; population specific

PMID: 23865813 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
Publication Types, MeSH Terms

LinkOut - more resources

PubMed Commons home
PubMed Commons

0 comments
How to join PubMed Commons
Supplemental Content
Full text links

Save items
Add to Favorites
View more options
Similar articles
Sexual dimorphism in cranial morphology among modern South Africans.
[Int J Legal Med. 2015]
Craniometric determination of population affinity in South Africans.
[Int J Legal Med. 1999]
An evaluation of non-metric cranial traits used to estimate ancestry in a South African sample.
[Forensic Sci Int. 2011]
Review Bone quality: a determinant for certain risk factors for bone fragility.
[Calcif Tissue Int. 1993]
Review Determination of Race from the Skeleton through Forensic Anthropological Methods.
[Forensic Sci Rev. 1995]
See reviews...
See all...
Recent Activity
ClearTurn Off
Application of FORDISC 3.0 to explore differences among crania of North American...
PubMed
PubMed
Punctuated bursts in human male demography inferred from 1,244 worldwide Y-chrom...
PubMed
Tracing the paths of modern humans from Africa
Testing modern human out-of-Africa dispersal models and implications for modern ...
PubMed
See more...
You are here: NCBI > Literature > PubMedWrite to the Help Desk
Simple NCBI Directory
GETTING STARTED
NCBI Education
NCBI Help Manual
NCBI Handbook
Training & Tutorials
Submit Data
RESOURCES
Chemicals & Bioassays
Data & Software
DNA & RNA
Domains & Structures
Genes & Expression
Genetics & Medicine
Genomes & Maps
Homology
Literature
Proteins
Sequence Analysis
Taxonomy
Variation
POPULAR
PubMed
Bookshelf
PubMed Central
PubMed Health
BLAST
Nucleotide
Genome
SNP
Gene
Protein
PubChem
FEATURED
Genetic Testing Registry
PubMed Health
GenBank
Reference Sequences
Gene Expression Omnibus
Map Viewer
Human Genome
Mouse Genome
Influenza Virus
Primer-BLAST
Sequence Read Archive
NCBI INFORMATION
About NCBI
Research at NCBI
NCBI News
NCBI FTP Site
NCBI on Facebook
NCBI on Twitter
NCBI on YouTube
NLM NIH DHHS USA.gov
National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine
8600 Rockville Pike, Bethesda MD, 20894 USA
Policies and Guidelines | Contact

Doug M
Member # 7650

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

When I compared the pale Tut reconstruction with his aunt/mother and his father I was strictly referring to the general appearance of the facial structure of that Tut reconstruction and how people are trying to disown it by implying it's a complete outlier.

quote:
Overall my opinion it is off on all aspects period, color only being one aspect.

This is exactly what I mean when I say that most people on this forum have no idea what the population affinities of Nile Valley populations are. You're stuck in the same forum, high-fiving each other's fantasies and doling out co-signs. But at the end of the day you're clueless. Go read what Susan Anton said happened when she plugged measurements from Tut's Xray into Fordisc. How is that Fordisc assignment even remotely possible if, as you say, the reconstruction is "off on all aspects, period". Susan agreed the cranium was African and she said it looked North African to her (which she said doesn't mean coastal North African). You people supposedly read papers on ancient Egyptian population affinity for decades, but in the things you say it tells me that you don't have a grasp on the subject. It's just embarrassing at this point.

Anyway, can you respond to the below, please. Then I can be on my way again.

quote:
^What do you think about this racial use of 'black'? Is it acceptable? And what about this opinionated drivel that it's necessarily the case that someone with tropically adapted skin would have to have facial features that look a certain way? What do you make of this brainless racial essentialism?

You are spouting contradictory nonsense.

It can't be accurate and inaccurate at the same time. In all respects it is inaccurate. Period.

Of course the skull is accurate, but that fleshy reconstruction is totally off.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

-

quote:
You are spouting contradictory nonsense.

It can't be accurate and inaccurate at the same time. In all respects it is inaccurate. Period.

Of course the skull is accurate, but that fleshy reconstruction is totally off. [/QB]

Typical Doug, no methodology. He says the "fleshy reconstruction is totally off."
why? "take my word for it" would be the best that he's got. There is no way for anybody to be sure about the fleshier parts of the reconstruction whether they are accurate or not.
Yet we are supposed to agree they are "totally off" with no supporting references.

That's it
Doug is banned.

Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Of course the skull is accurate, but that fleshy reconstruction is totally off.

Even before Tut's fleshy parts were reconstructed, Fordisc didn't assign his cranio-facial measurements to the Teita, Dogon or Zulu samples. Instead, he had a weak assignment to a male European sample. If you want to think that adding flesh on top of that will yield a radically different facial appearance than that reconstruction, you're free to latch onto that belief all you want if that's what you need to cope.

You've been reduced to nagging and pouting. You're basically saying "it's either my way or the highway". I have no intentions of staying longer in this thread than I have to. I made my point. The level of skin pigmentation on that pale reconstruction is completely wrong. But the craniofacial features of that reconstruction is not radically far off from what he would have looked like. Whether you want to accept it or not.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

-

Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
^ what's up with his bottom lip?

-

-

-

https://img.rt.com/files/2015.08/original/55cbb59cc4618843158b459c.jpg

^Family reunion.

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After reading this thread, I decided to take my own stab at the whole King Tut reconstruction thing:

-

I wonder how people here would judge it? Would they say its facial features were too "European-looking" too?

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
 -

quote:
Originally posted by Nodnarb:
After reading this thread, I decided to take my own stab at the whole King Tut reconstruction thing:

-

I wonder how people here would judge it? Would they say its facial features were too "European-looking" too?

yours is better
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com