EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Eva Fernández Domínguez: Sub Saharans in Iberia/Middle East?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eva Fernández Domínguez: Sub Saharans in Iberia/Middle East?
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Polimorfismos de DNA mitocondrial en poblaciones antiguas de la cuenca mediterránea

biblioteca.universia.net/html_bura/ficha/params/title/polimorfismos-dna-mitocondrial-poblaciones-antiguas-cuenca-mediterranea/id/3136593.html

I'd been trying to translate this to English, but every time I tried the translators severely chopped and screwed the charts up so I never could find what the data was trying to say. My question is what were the specific ages of the specimens and what was the corresponding genetic data? I ask in part because I'm interested in knowing how recent/early Sub Saharan DNA was around (and to what quantity it was) in the ancient Middle East and Iberia to get a picture on when genetic shifts happened. ESR said Sub Saharans were in Iberia at 1000BC based on the study but what is in the data that indicates it's 1000BC?

Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try to help yourself with the below, first. Google is your best friend. If you have additional questions after this, below, ask away:

Click on PDF 5 (titled resultados) in the link below.

http://www.tesisenxarxa.net/handle/10803/795;jsessionid=F3D8FEBA1B5D604CEC5EFAA0204F5275.tdx1

Then skip to table R81 (Tabla R81). You don't need to translate anything if you don't want to do the legwork. The various assignments that start with L (e.g. L2) are the ones that are thought to belong to African hgs. You can then google the names of the specimens and learn about their archaeological context and other specifics, such as their age.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fully analysis with translation is on ESR. Search!!

Her early work covers Iberia since she graduated from Univ Barcelona.

Her recent works is more broad based. She is based in England now. The most notable recent owrk covers the early Neolithics in the Levant which also has SSA haplogroups.

All is on ESR..."your one stop shop".

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at Fig 74. BTW I haven’t looked at the paper in several years but I just realize that mtDNA C is found in West Africa. Dr Winters there is your smoking gun.

Figura FR74. Mapa de frecuencias de los diferentes haplogrupos en poblaciones antiguas de la Península Ibérica y Próximo Oriente.

Figure fr74. Map frequency of different haplogroups in ancient populations of the Iberian Peninsula and the Middle East

In the old shows representatives of the haplogroups also appear
characteristic of Africa today: L1b, L2 and L3a. The percentage of these "lines
African "in the four ancient populations is the 28.57% if we only consider
complete and 32.43% sequences if we also consider the partial sequences
of AB14 and 2H31 individuals. This "African contribution" is much higher than that
They have on average European populations and current Middle East (1.65%
and 3.64% respectively). Among European populations with representatives of some
of these haplogroups are Germany (L3a), Canary Islands (L1b, L2 and L3a), Sardinia
(L2 and M1), France (L3a), Galicia (L3a and L3b), Tuscany (L2), Albania (L1a), Andalusia
(M1), Georgia (L2), Britain (L3a), Greece (L3a), Sicily (L3a), South Italy (L1b,
L2, L3a), Norway (L3b), Portugal (L3a), Russia North Caucasus (L2, L3a) and Switzerland
(L3a). In the Middle East the populations of Israel (Druze) (M1), Turkey (L1a, L3a)
and Jordan (L1a, L2, L3a) also include African lineages.
The L1b haplogroup appears in only two sequences of the population
"Neolithic of the Iberian Peninsula", representing a percentage of 20%, value
higher than the current five African populations represented in the database.
Haplogroup L2 is contained in two of the four ancient populations. In the
population "Neolithic of the Iberian Peninsula" is the majority haplogroup, with
a frequency of 30% if we consider the complete sequences and 36.36% if
We include partial sequence of AB14. In the population "Neolithic Next
East "this haplogroup represents 7.14% of the lines, 13.3% if we consider
also partial sequence of 2H31. The frequency of this haplogroup in the sample
old is far superior to that of European populations and the Middle East and is very
similar to the current African populations.
Representatives of haplogroup L3a are included within populations
old "Paleolithic", "Neolithic Near East" and "Mari". The frequency of this

Eva Fernández Domínguez

haplogroup in European and Near Eastern populations is higher than in other
African clusters, but never exceeds that of ancient populations. In Africa
It highlights its high frequency in East Africa (44.05%), followed by Nile Valley
(14.17%) and West Africa (13.35%).

Finally, a sequence of "Neolithic Near East" population was
assigned to the Asian haplogroup C. This haplogroup characteristic of Asia and America,

It is very rare in our database of current populations, and is
represented only in the people of Georgia, Russia North Caucasus, Canarias,
France, Turkey and West Africa.

--------------------

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much for your help so far. Following your instructions I was able to figure out the specimens, their associated haplogroup and the locations they would've been in the ancient world. I gathered that the oldest specimens date 8-10k years old too. The only thing I'm still having trouble figuring out how old specific specimens were however. I'm typing and mashing next with anos in my search hoping to find years the specimens date to, but it's not proving to be very successful. I don't know if I missed it but I didn't see the ages on the charts either. Oh I also looked on ESR with some translations but didn't find any direct quotes or graphs that translated data describing the specific ages of the specimens. It translated the abstract, but didn't provide the specific ages I'm still looking for.

http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/thread/872#ixzz1ZQFAHhJ3[/B]

I also was wondering, how come so many of them don't have a haplogroup listed but 50% of the samples are Sub Saharan? Or was that just for Iberia? Or do they mean 50% of those they could get data from?

Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Oshun

Props for trying to get as far as you can on your own with the data that was posted.

http://www.ancestraljourneys.org/copperbronzeagedna.shtml

^Go to that site and use the following command in your webbrowser:

CTRL+F

A tiny search box will pop up somewhere in a corner typically. Type the name of each specimen you want to learn more about. The site has the date of each specimen listed.

If you search based on African haplogroups (as opposed to the code for each individual) you might also get hits from results from other studies. For instance, if you use the keyword E1b1b you'll find three prehistoric European and Caucasus males with African haplogroups (two E-M78 and one E-M34) and one male with a non-African haplogroup that today tracks African population movements (R-V88). They all date to ~5000BC except for E-M34, which dates to the Late Bronze Age (~1000BC). If you search with L3 as your keyword, you'll stumble on additional L3 assignments from Fernandez 2006 and Gamba 2008.

If you can't find some of the individuals, you're probably on the wrong page. For instance:

African markers found in Neolithic Eurasian individuals will be listed here:
http://www.ancestraljourneys.org/europeanneolithicdna.shtml

African markers found in Bronze Age Eurasian individuals will be listed here:

Lastly, you'll note that the webmaster of that site has rejected some of the African haplogroup assignments and offered his own. There are also suspicious omissions. For instance, TM-11 conveniently doesn't have its L2 assignment listed and its haplogroup assigment box is empty. The other Tres Montes individual with the same hg isn't even listed. Just be mindful of that.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zarahan aka Enrique Cardova
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by xyyman:
Fully analysis with translation is on ESR. Search!!

Her early work covers Iberia since she graduated from Univ Barcelona.

Her recent works is more broad based. She is based in England now. The most notable recent owrk covers the early Neolithics in the Levant which also has SSA haplogroups.

All is on ESR..."your one stop shop".

Looks to be deleted. What is the link again?
Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Thanks everyone for the help! it took me a lot of reading to get a better understanding. Seeing how the guy omitted information, I put the assigned dates he placed and ran a search through all the PDFs and found them. But since he didn't add a lot of the data I included the other haplogrouped samples he omitted and used the haplogroups in the original that he(?) changed:

http://www.tesisenxarxa.net/handle/10803/795;jsessionid=F3D8FEBA1B5D604CEC5EFAA0204F5275.tdx1

*To find the ages of each specimen: PDF 3 (Material): page 46 Table/Tabla MA6. Maps of the sites can also be found in these PDFs. There's lots of good technical info here if you know how to decipher it.

*To find find Haplogroups: PDF 5 (Results/Resultados): Page 223-224 Table/Tabla R81

*If you need to translate the individual name to find sample (Muestra) name (since some tables refer to samples interchangeably) use Tabla/Table R11 in PDF 5 (Results/Resultados) at page 29.

El Pirulejo, Córdoba (Spain)

2PI (Sample name: 2PI): Haplogroup H: 12500-13500 A.P.

Tell Ramad, Syria

R65-31 (Sample name: TR8): Haplogroup H: 8000-7750 A.P.

R65-14 (Sample name: TR12) Haplogroup K: 8000-7750 A.P.

R65-C8-SEB (Sample name: TR16): Haplogroup K: 8000-7750 A.P.

R65-1S (Sample name: TR18): Haplogroup K: 8000-7750 A.P.

R66-4-400 (Sample name: TR19): Haplogroup C: 8000-7750 A.P.

Nerja, Málaga (Spain)

NE-NM82.2 (Sample Name: 2NE): Haplogroup J*: 17000-20000

NE-NAP (Sample Name: 4NE): Haplogroup L1b: 2,260 BC

NE-1829 (Sample Name: 5NE): Haplogroup L1b: 5.875±80 A.P.

Tres Montes, Navarra (Spain)

TM-3 (sample name: 1TM2): Haplogroup L2: 4130 A.P

TM-6 (Sample name: 1TM4): Haplogroup L2: 4130 A.P

TM-6 (Sample name: 2TM4): Haplogroup H/K: 4130 A.P

TM-8 (Sample name: 1TM5) Haplogroup J* : 4130 A.P

TM-11 (Sample name: 1TM6) Haplogroup L2: 4130 A.P

TM-18 (Sample name: 1TM11) Haplogroup L2: 4130 A.P

Tell Halula, Syria

H-3 (Sample Name: TH2): Haplogroup H/K: 8800-8000 A.P.

H7 (Sample Name: TH5-TH6): Haplogroup H/HV/HV1/R/U: 8800-8000 A.P.

H-24 (Sample Name:1H24): Haplogroup H/T: 8800-8000 A.P.

H-37 (Sample Name: 2H20): Haplogroup L2: 8800-8000 A.P.

H-43 (Sample Name: 2H31): Haplogroup L2: 8800-8000 A.P.

H-45 (Sample Name: 1H17): Haplogroup H/K:7100-6500 A.P.

H-49 (Sample Name:1H15): Haplogroup L3a: 8800-8000 A.P.

H-68 (Sample Name: H12): Haplogroup H/T: 8800-8000 A.P.

Toledo, Portugal

K-13 (Sample Name: TO1): Haplogroup L3a: 9200-7800 A.P.

Dja’de, Syria

SK-A2 (Sample Name: DJ1): Haplogroup H/T: 9400-8700 A.P.

Mari, Syria

Mari [1] (Sample Name: 1MA1): Haplogroup H 2900-2700 A.P

Mari [2] (Sample Name: 2MA2): Haplogroup U4: 2900-2700 A.P

Mari [5] (Sample Name: 1MA5): Haplogroup U4: 2900-2700 A.P

Mari [10] (Sample Name: 2MA10): Haplogroup L3a: 2550 A.P

Mari [11] (Sample Name: 3MA11):Haplogroup J1a: 2550 A.P

Mari [12] (Sample Name: IMAI2): Haplogroup L2: 2550 A.P

Abauntz, Navarra (Spain)

ABb1.1 (Sample Name: AB5): Haplogroup H: 4240 A.P

AB17C (Sample Name: AB14): Haplogroup L2: 4240 A.P

AB23C (Sample Name: AB9): Haplogroup J*: 4240 A.P

I did this pretty late so if I screwed up I will post it again with some edits if anyone wants it. I still have a few questions though:

quote:
NE-1829 (Sample Name 5NE): Haplogroup L1b: 5.875±80 A.P.
What doesthis mean? The chart says it's Neolithic but it says 5.875±80 A.P (which I'm guessing is BC).

quote:

Is this A.P too? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but what is A.P? I've heard of BCE and AD. This acronym I'm not as familiar with.
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Great job Oshun. I haven't revisited the data in its full context in ages. Good to have summary with all the dates and localities for quick reference.

Archaeological dates are generally in either BC or BP, no matter what the language is. These dates are all in BC. Know how I can tell? The Mari city state flourished in the Bronze Age. If the 'A.P.' means BP, the dates are too recent. So it has to be BC.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
yes. Great job!!!! I haven't double checked your locale vs Hg but i assume you did your home work.

When i did my analysis and posted on ESR I got about 50% African haplogroups in ancient Iberia...not including hg-H. Which I later confirmed is also of recent African origin. ie Neolithic. Prior to that we thought it was Paleolithic ala Achilli Refugia Theory

What is odd is that current researchers are no longer finding hg-L in ancient Iberia and Italy. Makes me think they are now removing and falsifying data.

Although Eva(about 4ya) did find hg-L in the eNeolithic in the Levant. Aslso posted on ESR.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Polimorfismos de DNA mitocondrial en poblaciones antiguas de la cuenca mediterránea

biblioteca.universia.net/html_bura/ficha/params/title/polimorfismos-dna-mitocondrial-poblaciones-antiguas-cuenca-mediterranea/id/3136593.html

Description: SUMMARY OF DOCTORAL THESIS The origins of European populations have been addressed from different disciplines, highlighting the contribution of population genetics studies. Shuffle two moments in prehistory in which it has been possible to model the gene pool of populations in Europe: the spread of Neolithic and Palaeolithic period expansions. The ability to recover from bygone population genetics provides a unique opportunity to test the assumptions made in situ from other disciplines. We studied 197 samples from 115 dental and bone individuals 17 archaeological sites Sumerian Neolithic and Middle East, when Meroitic Nubia and Paleolithic era, post-Neolithic and Neolithic of the Iberian Peninsula. We obtained complete sequences of mitochondrial DNA of 244 bp of 35 different individuals, were compared with sequences from the same region of present individuals from 38 populations in Europe, Africa and Middle East. In phylogenetic reconstructions based on Reynolds distance groups of ancient samples are grouped together, separated from the rest of current populations. However, phylogenetic reconstructions made from the haplotypes of ancient and modern samples denote that although the majority of ancient mitochondrial variants are not present in current populations sampled, may relate more or less closely with them. The composition of haplotypes and haplogroups of ancient samples from the Near East and the Iberian Peninsula ****differs markedly*** from that found in the CURRENT populations of these geographical regions. In the ancient Middle East show highlights in particular the absence of mitochondrial haplogroup J, U3, W and X, associated with the Neolithic expansion into Europe. This may be due either to the sample obtained is not old chronologically or geographically-representative populations of the Middle East that spread during the Neolithic well that these variants were not introduced in Europe during the Neolithic. In the ancient sample of the Iberian Peninsula highlights the presence of 50% of sub-Saharan lines. These lines may have been introduced during the Solutrean, the Mesolithic or Neolithic. This work also delved into various technical aspects of obtaining authentic ancient DNA and the influence of several variables in the preservation of genetic material.

ABSTRACT The origins of the European Populations Studied extensively from Have Been Different disciplines. It is Thought That ancient demic expansions, like occurred After the Late Those Glacial Maximum or DURING the Middle East from neolithic diffussion to Europe. The Possibility to recover DNA from past Populations offers an unique Opportunity to test in situ These hypothesis. 197 It Were Analyzed teeth and bones from 115 individuos Archaeological Sites and 17 Different from Middle East and the Iberian Peninsula. It WAS possible to recover mitochondrial DNA sequences 244pb-35 from Different Individuals. They Were 38 Compared to sequences from European, African and Middle Eastern Populations present-day. Phylogenetic Reconstructions from Reynolds genetic distance Showed That ancient samples clustered together, extant from Clearly Separated Populations. Howeve, based phylogenetic Reconstructions on ancient and modern mitochondrial haplotypes Showed That ancient haplotypes are related to extant ones. Haplotype frequencies and haplogroup in samples from the ancient Middle East and the Iberian Peninsula are Different from Those Clearly present in the Same Geographical Nowadays regions. Haplogroups related to J neolithic expansion to Europe, U3, W and X-are absent in ancient middle eastern sample. There are two possible Explanations to this fact. First, It Could Be That the ancient samples possible Analyzed wont be representative of the Middle Eastern Populations That expanded the neolithic. Second, It Could Be That Those haplogroups Also possible wont Have Been made to them in Europe associated with expansions to neolithic demic. At This work It Were Also Examined technical Several Aspects related to the obtention of genuine ancient DNA and the Influence of Different variables in DNA preservation.

Read more: http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/thread/872#ixzz4BkVvg5Rl

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://nilevalleypeoples.blogspot.com/2016/04/go-with-flow-3-more-dna-and-cranial.html
quote:
Originally posted by zarahan- aka Enrique Cardova:

Go with the flow 3- more DNA and cranial studies show ancient African migration to, or African presence in ancient Europe

-  -
curvaceous connections.. si?

She's Dominican. A better example would be a native Southern European woman or Afro-Italian who has longer ancestry in the region with clothes on

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denny_Méndez

Posts: 42922 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 15718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zarahan aka Enrique Cardova     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Description: SUMMARY OF DOCTORAL THESIS The origins of European populations have been addressed from different disciplines, highlighting the contribution of population genetics studies. Shuffle two moments in prehistory in which it has been possible to model the gene pool of populations in Europe: the spread of Neolithic and Palaeolithic period expansions. The ability to recover from bygone population genetics provides a unique opportunity to test the assumptions made in situ from other disciplines. We studied 197 samples from 115 dental and bone individuals 17 archaeological sites Sumerian Neolithic and Middle East, when Meroitic Nubia and Paleolithic era, post-Neolithic and Neolithic of the Iberian Peninsula. We obtained complete sequences of mitochondrial DNA of 244 bp of 35 different individuals, were compared with sequences from the same region of present individuals from 38 populations in Europe, Africa and Middle East. In phylogenetic reconstructions based on Reynolds distance groups of ancient samples are grouped together, separated from the rest of current populations. However, phylogenetic reconstructions made from the haplotypes of ancient and modern samples denote that although the majority of ancient mitochondrial variants are not present in current populations sampled, may relate more or less closely with them. The composition of haplotypes and haplogroups of ancient samples from the Near East and the Iberian Peninsula ****differs markedly*** from that found in the CURRENT populations of these geographical regions. In the ancient Middle East show highlights in particular the absence of mitochondrial haplogroup J, U3, W and X, associated with the Neolithic expansion into Europe. This may be due either to the sample obtained is not old chronologically or geographically-representative populations of the Middle East that spread during the Neolithic well that these variants were not introduced in Europe during the Neolithic. In the ancient sample of the Iberian Peninsula highlights the presence of 50% of sub-Saharan lines. These lines may have been introduced during the Solutrean, the Mesolithic or Neolithic. This work also delved into various technical aspects of obtaining authentic ancient DNA and the influence of several variables in the preservation of genetic material.

ABSTRACT The origins of the European Populations Studied extensively from Have Been Different disciplines. It is Thought That ancient demic expansions, like occurred After the Late Those Glacial Maximum or DURING the Middle East from neolithic diffussion to Europe. The Possibility to recover DNA from past Populations offers an unique Opportunity to test in situ These hypothesis. 197 It Were Analyzed teeth and bones from 115 individuos Archaeological Sites and 17 Different from Middle East and the Iberian Peninsula. It WAS possible to recover mitochondrial DNA sequences 244pb-35 from Different Individuals. They Were 38 Compared to sequences from European, African and Middle Eastern Populations present-day. Phylogenetic Reconstructions from Reynolds genetic distance Showed That ancient samples clustered together, extant from Clearly Separated Populations. Howeve, based phylogenetic Reconstructions on ancient and modern mitochondrial haplotypes Showed That ancient haplotypes are related to extant ones. Haplotype frequencies and haplogroup in samples from the ancient Middle East and the Iberian Peninsula are Different from Those Clearly present in the Same Geographical Nowadays regions. Haplogroups related to J neolithic expansion to Europe, U3, W and X-are absent in ancient middle eastern sample. There are two possible Explanations to this fact. First, It Could Be That the ancient samples possible Analyzed wont be representative of the Middle Eastern Populations That expanded the neolithic. Second, It Could Be That Those haplogroups Also possible wont Have Been made to them in Europe associated with expansions to neolithic demic. At This work It Were Also Examined technical Several Aspects related to the obtention of genuine ancient DNA and the Influence of Different variables in DNA preservation.

Read more: http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/thread/872#ixzz4BkVvg5Rl

Great. Yes I see the detail now. That link was not showing
up when I searched.

Posts: 5905 | From: The Hammer | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
He! He! He! That is the problem googling and picture spamming. Deep analysis people!!!

--------------------

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
@ Z-man. There is another thread on ESR that has more details.

--------------------

Member # 15718

What is odd is that current researchers are no longer finding hg-L in ancient Iberia and Italy.

But wouldn't some L like L3 show up somewhere in the overall
southern Europe area? Didn't Salas show some overlap (I think
it was a Salas paper) -posted someplace on ES a few
years back)?

Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
quote:
yes. Great job!!!! I haven't double checked your locale vs Hg but i assume you did your home work.

When i did my analysis and posted on ESR I got about 50% African haplogroups in ancient Iberia...not including hg-H. Which I later confirmed is also of recent African origin. ie Neolithic. Prior to that we thought it was Paleolithic ala Achilli Refugia Theory

What is odd is that current researchers are no longer finding hg-L in ancient Iberia and Italy. Makes me think they are now removing and falsifying data.

Although Eva(about 4ya) did find hg-L in the eNeolithic in the Levant. Aslso posted on ESR.

wiki-ing Haplogroup H emphasizes that about 40% of all maternal lineages in Europe belong to haplogroup H with it's origins 20k BC southwest asia. It wouldn't be the first time I notice wikipedia editors adding false info if that's the case but is there any material I should read that challenges the origin they provide for haplogroup H?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oshun:

Eva Fernández Domínguez:

Doctoral thesis 2011
tans: Mitochondrial DNA polymorphisms in ancient populations for the Mediterranean basin

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Eva_Fernandez_Dominguez

Eva Fernandez Dominguez
Durham University, Durham
Biological Anthropology, Genetics

PhD in Biology, MSc in Health Expertise (Forensics)

Conference Paper: ADN ancien d’échantillons néolithiques de la péninsule Ibérique.
Gamba C. · Fernandez E. · Tirado M. · Palomo S. · Deguilloux MF · Pemonge MH · Arroyo-Pardo E.

trans. "Old Neolithic DNA samples of the Iberian Peninsula." Dec 2013

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/260358812_ADN_ancien_d%27echantillons_neolithiques_de_la_peninsule_Iberique

http://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/article?id=10.1371/journal.pgen.1004401

Ancient DNA Analysis of 8000 B.C. Near Eastern Farmers Supports an Early Neolithic Pioneer Maritime Colonization of Mainland Europe through Cyprus and the Aegean Islands
May 2014
Eva Fernández et al

(excerpts)

Abstract
The genetic impact associated to the Neolithic spread in Europe has been widely debated over the last 20 years. Within this context, ancient DNA studies have provided a more reliable picture by directly analyzing the protagonist populations at different regions in Europe. However, the lack of available data from the original Near Eastern farmers has limited the achieved conclusions, preventing the formulation of continental models of Neolithic expansion. Here we address this issue by presenting mitochondrial DNA data of the original Near-Eastern Neolithic communities with the aim of providing the adequate background for the interpretation of Neolithic genetic data from European samples. Sixty-three skeletons from the Pre Pottery Neolithic B (PPNB) sites of Tell Halula, Tell Ramad and Dja'de El Mughara dating between 8,700-6,600 cal. B.C. were analyzed, and 15 validated mitochondrial DNA profiles were recovered. In order to estimate the demographic contribution of the first farmers to both Central European and Western Mediterranean Neolithic cultures, haplotype and haplogroup diversities in the PPNB sample were compared using phylogeographic and population genetic analyses to available ancient DNA data from human remains belonging to the Linearbandkeramik-Alföldi Vonaldiszes Kerámia and Cardial/Epicardial cultures. We also searched for possible signatures of the original Neolithic expansion over the modern Near Eastern and South European genetic pools, and tried to infer possible routes of expansion by comparing the obtained results to a database of 60 modern populations from both regions. Comparisons performed among the 3 ancient datasets allowed us to identify K and N-derived mitochondrial DNA haplogroups as potential markers of the Neolithic expansion, whose genetic signature would have reached both the Iberian coasts and the Central European plain. Moreover, the observed genetic affinities between the PPNB samples and the modern populations of Cyprus and Crete seem to suggest that the Neolithic was first introduced into Europe through pioneer seafaring colonization.

Author Summary

Since the original human expansions out of Africa 200,000 years ago, different prehistoric and historic migration events have taken place in Europe. Considering that the movement of the people implies a consequent movement of their genes, it is possible to estimate the impact of these migrations through the genetic analysis of human populations. Agricultural and husbandry practices originated 10,000 years ago in a region of the Near East known as the Fertile Crescent. According to the archaeological record this phenomenon, known as “Neolithic”, rapidly expanded from these territories into Europe. However, whether this diffusion was accompanied or not by human migrations is greatly debated. In the present work, mitochondrial DNA –a type of maternally inherited DNA located in the cell cytoplasm- from the first Near Eastern Neolithic populations was recovered and compared to available data from other Neolithic populations in Europe and also to modern populations from South Eastern Europe and the Near East. The obtained results show that substantial human migrations were involved in the Neolithic spread and suggest that the first Neolithic farmers entered Europe following a maritime route through Cyprus and the Aegean Islands.

Introduction

The term “Neolithic” refers to the profound cultural and technical changes that accompanied the transition from a hunter-gatherer subsistence economy to an agro-pastoral producing system [1]. The first Neolithic societies originated 12 to 10 thousand years ago in a region of the Near East traditionally known as the “Fertile Crescent” [2]. From this region the Neolithic technology rapidly expanded to Anatolia reaching the rest of Europe in less than 3,000 years by following two main routes linked to different archaeological cultural complexes. The Danubian route, associated to the Linearbandkeramic (LBK) cultural complex, brought the Neolithic to the central European plains and from there to the British Islands and Scandinavia (Funnel Beaker Cultural Complex) while the Mediterranean one, associated to the Cardial-Impressa cultural complex, spread it along the Mediterranean coast up to the Atlantic façade of Iberia [3].

The nature of the diffusion of the Neolithic and the possible demographic input associated to it have been widely debated. In this regard, two extreme hypotheses representing opposite views have been formulated: the demic diffusion model (DDM) and the cultural diffusion model (CDM) [1], [2], [4], [5]. The former stands up for a “wave of advance” of Neolithic immigrants with subsequent genetic replacement of the hunter-gatherer (Mesolithic) populations while the latter proposes a cultural adoption of Neolithic practices from local populations, implying a genetic continuity since the Palaeolithic. Moreover, integrationist models that involve a different extent of interaction between immigrants and local hunter-gatherers while considering the effect of geographic barriers and agricultural boundary zones, have been also used to explain the transition to the Neolithic process at a more local scale [6].

-

Genetic analyses from modern and ancient populations have contributed extensively to this debate providing discordant results. Principal component analysis and spatial autocorrelation of allele frequencies of “classic” genetic markers in modern European populations showed a South East to North West cline compatible with a Neolithic DDM. The Neolithic contribution to the modern genetic pool was estimated in this case to be around 27% [7]. The frequency distribution of Y chromosome polymorphisms displayed a similar pattern and haplogroups F*, E3b, G and J2, representing a 22% of extant lineages, were initially identified as the main contributors of the Neolithic spread [8], [9]. However, the analysis of the geographic distribution of the microsatellite diversity of the allegedly Paleolithic haplogroup R1b1b2, has been recently reinterpreted as a signal of substantial demic diffusion [10]. Phylogeographic analyses of another haploid marker, the mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA), in Europe and the Near East initially supported a limited Neolithic genetic contribution of around 9–12% in the Mediterranean and 15–22% in Central Europe [11]. Molecular dating and founder analyses identified then mtDNA haplogroups J, T1 and U3 as the main genetic markers of this expansion, with probable contributions of some other lineages from clusters H and W [12]. However, recent analysis of complete mtDNA sequences from the same region has pictured contradicting results depending on the analysis performed, from all mtDNA haplogroup expansions predating the Neolithic [13] to Neolithic expansions of mtDNA haplogroup H [14].

In the light of these results, the usefulness of modern genetic variability to reconstruct the Neolithic dynamics in Europe has been questioned [15], [16]. First of all, a certain level of genetic differentiation between hunter-gatherers and Near Eastern farmers has to be assumed in order to detect differences between both groups. Secondly, the existence of SE-NW clinal patterns in Europe may reflect the accumulation of small migrations entering the continent rather than a single migratory event [17]. Finally, original population substructure and subsequent processes of genetic drift and founder effects can introduce errors into the estimation of coalescence dates of mitochondrial and Y chromosome haplogroups [18]. In this regard, recent diachronic aDNA analyses of Central European populations have documented a fluctuation in haplogroup frequencies as a result of population bottlenecks and post-Neolithic migratory events [19], [20]. Besides, these estimated haplogroup dates do not necessarily correspond to the time of arrival of the lineages to the region [21]. As a result, the misidentification of genetic variants associated to the Neolithic spread and the effect of post-Neolithic expansions in the genetic make-up of Europe could have introduced important biases in the estimations of the Neolithic component of the European gene pool producing misleading conclusions [22].

During the last decade, ancient DNA analyses of Neolithic populations have provided a more reliable picture of the Neolithic transition process at a local scale. Studies have concentrated at the two edges of the two routes of the Neolithic wave of advance: Central/Northern Europe and the Iberian Peninsula/Southern France. In Central Europe and Scandinavia a DDM has been proposed to explain the observed genetic discontinuity between hunter-gatherers and the first farmer populations [19], [23]–[26]. However, recent analyses have suggested the coexistence of genetically distinct hunter-gatherer and farmer groups during several millennia at the same archaeological site, suggesting that the genetic replacement of hunter-gatherers populations was not complete [20]. In North Eastern Iberia and Southern France contradictory interpretations have been proposed to explain the nature of the Mesolithic-Neolithic transition process. On one hand, mtDNA studies of Cardial Neolithic remains seem to favor a pioneer Near Eastern colonization of North Eastern Spain [27], [28]. On the other hand, mtDNA results of Epicardial, Middle and Late Neolithic populations have been interpreted as a signal of pre-Neolithic legacy [29]–[31]. Dating and cultural differences between the studied groups, the effect of genetic drift at the beginning of the Neolithic and differences in the methods of analysis used (model-based statistical inference vs assignment of mtDNA haplogroup dating categories respectively) could be responsible of the observed differences [12], [27]. Moreover, the Y chromosome diversity of the Epicardial and Late Neolithic datasets has also shown a predominantly Near Eastern influence, suggesting that males and females might have played a differential role in the Neolithic dissemination process [16], [30], [31].

In this framework, the knowledge of the original Neolithic genetic pool in the Near East seems essential to correctly identify the variants associated to the Neolithic spread and also to provide a more global picture of the Neolithic dynamics in Europe.

In order to examine the genetic background existing in the first Neolithic communities and its impact over the European genetic pool, we have studied 3 archaeological sites in Syria located in two geographic areas in which agricultural practices were first documented: the middle Euphrates valley and the oasis of Damascus (Figure 1). These sites are dated back to the Pre-pottery Neolithic B period (PPNB). It is during this initial Neolithic phase that animal husbandry first appears, while full-scale agricultural practices are documented in the whole Levant. At the PPNB there is also an increase in the size of the settlements, probably as a response to the population growth derived from the consolidation of the new food-producing economic system [32].

-

Haplogroup composition

MtDNA haplogroups could be assigned to 14 out of the 15 skeletons according to the HVS1 sequences obtained and on the diagnostic Single Nucleotide Positions (SNPs) typed following Phylotree rCRS oriented version 15 (Tables 1 and S6).

Haplogroup K was the most prevalent, (N = 6, 42.8%) followed by R0 (N = 3, 21.42%) and H (N = 2, 14.28%). The observed haplogroup frequencies were compared to those of 59 modern populations from the Near East and South Eastern Europe and 2 Early Neolithic populations from Central Europe (LBK-AVK Neolithic, [24]) and North Eastern Iberia (Cardial/Epicardial Neolithic, [27]) (N = 11,610) (Table S7).

Haplogroup K was present in almost all populations compared, and its mean frequency in South Eastern Europe and the Near East was around 7%. It reached its highest frequencies in certain populations that have experienced recent population bottlenecks, such as the Askhenazi Jews and the Csángó in Transylvania, Romania [33], [34] and also among Greek Cypriots. Moreover, it was also highly represented in both Cardial/Epicardial (15.56%) and LBK-AVK (23.08%) Early Neolithic datasets. Haplogroup R0 is especially prevalent in the Near East and North Africa with a mean frequency in both regions around 6%. The maximum frequencies of R0 were detected in South Arabian populations such as Bedouin, Oman and Saudi Arabia (Table S7). The rare European haplogroups U* and N* were also detected in 2 individuals in our ancient sample. The mean frequency of haplogroup U* is 2% in the Near East, 0.9% in the Caucasus region and around 1% in Europe, whereas the N* mean frequency is less than 1% in all three datasets. However, both haplogroups reach peaks of frequency in certain populations, such as haplogroup U* in Crete. The case of N* is especially interesting, because apart from Bulgaria, Crete, Romania and Serbia it was only represented in Near Eastern populations (Iran, Jordan, Near Eastern Jews, Oman, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Turkmenistan and United Arab Emirates). Moreover, this haplogroup was also detected in 4 Neolithic specimens from Catalonia, in North Eastern Spain, associated to the Cardial/Epicardial culture [27]. Carry- over contamination from these samples processed in the same laboratory can be ruled out, as results were validated in a second independent laboratory.

Finally, the skeleton H8 belonged to the African L3 lineage, this being the most prevalent African haplogroup found in present-day Near Eastern populations.

Modern mtDNA Near Eastern variability as a proxy of Near Eastern Neolithic variability

In recent years, the body of ancient DNA data of Neolithic populations has increased dramatically, providing a more accurate picture of local Neolithic dynamics. Some of these studies have also explored the Mesolithic genetic background, interpreting the results in terms of continuity or genetic break with the predecessor hunter-gatherer communities of the area [20], [23], [25], [28]. However, most of the attempts to estimate the Neolithic genetic input in those populations and/or to reconstruct the routes of dispersion of the first farmers into Europe have relied on extant data from modern Near Eastern populations [19], [24], [27], [29]–[31]. In the present research, ancient DNA results from the original human Near Eastern Neolithic communities are presented, to our knowledge, for the first time.

The present study shows that even though the mitochondrial variability of the PPNB population is within the limits of modern Near Eastern, Caucasian and South Eastern European populations (Table 3), both haplotype and haplogroup PPNB frequencies clearly deviate from their modern successors (Figures 2 and 3, Tables S5 and S7). This indicates that the mitochondrial DNA make-up of modern Near Eastern populations may not reflect accurately the genetic picture of the area at the emergence of the Neolithic.

All the detected haplotypes but one -the basal node of haplogroup K- have a null or limited distribution in the modern genetic pool, suggesting that a great bulk of ancient Neolithic lineages were not integrated into their succeeding populations or were erased by subsequent population movements in the region. This is in agreement with previous observations from other Early Neolithic populations [27], [46], and underlines the importance of genetic drift processes at the beginning of the Neolithic [16]. Nevertheless, the multi-population comparative analyses performed here also suggest that certain population isolates of Middle Eastern origin, like the Druze, could have retained an ancient Neolithic genetic legacy through cultural isolation and endogamous practices [47]. Another interesting case are the Ashkenazi Jews, who display a frequency of haplogroup K similar to the PPNB sample together with low non-significant pairwise Fst values, which taken together suggests an ancient Near Eastern origin. This observation clearly contradicts the results of a recent study, where a detailed phylogeographical analysis of mtDNA lineages has suggested a predominantly European origin for the Ashkenazi communities [48]. According to that work the majority of the Ashkenazi mtDNA lineages can be assigned to three major founders within haplogroup K (31% of their total lineages): K1a1b1a, K1a9 and K2a2. The absence of characteristic mutations within the control region in the PPNB K-haplotypes allow discarding them as members of either sub-clades K1a1b1a or K2a2, both representing a 79% of total Ashkenazi K lineages. However, without a high-resolution typing of the mtDNA coding region it cannot be excluded that the PPNB K lineages belong to the third sub-cluster K1a9 (20% of Askhenazi K lineages). Moreover, in the light of the evidence presented here of a loss of lineages in the Near East since Neolithic times, the absence of Ashkenazi mtDNA founder clades in the Near East should not be taken as a definitive argument for its absence in the past. The genotyping of the complete mtDNA in ancient Near Eastern populations would be required to fully answer this question and it will undoubtedly add resolution to the patterns detected in modern populations in this and other studies.

Our PPNB population includes a high percentage (80%) of lineages with a Palaeolithic coalescence age (K, R0 and U*) and differs from the current populations from the same area, which exhibit a high frequency of mitochondrial haplogroups J, T1 and U3 (Table S7). The latter have been traditionally linked with the Neolithic expansion due to their younger coalescence age, diversity and geographic distribution [11], [12], [49]. In addition to the PPNB population, haplogroup T1 is also absent in other Early Neolithic populations analyzed so far [17], [22], [26], [30]. Haplogroup U3 has been found only in one LBK individual and it has been suggested that it could have been already part of the pre-Neolithic Central European mitochondrial background [19].

Haplogroup J is present in moderate frequencies in Central European LBK-AVK populations (11.75%) and it has been proposed as part of the Central European “mitochondrial Neolithic package” [19]. However, it has also been described in one late hunter-gatherer specimen of Germany, raising the possibility of a pre-Neolithic origin [23]. Haplogroup J is present in low frequency (4%) in Cardial/Epicardial Neolithic samples of North Eastern Spain [27], [28], [31]. Absence of Mesolithic samples from the same region prevents making any inference about its emergence during the Mesolithic or the Neolithic. However, its absence in the PPNB genetic background reinforces the first hypothesis.

These findings suggest that (1) late Neolithic or post-Neolithic demographic processes rather than the original Neolithic expansion might have been responsible for the current distribution of mitochondrial haplogroups J, T1 and U3 in Europe and the Near East and (2) lineages with Late Paleolithic coalescent times might have played an important role in the Neolithic expansive process. The first suggestion alerts against the use of modern Near Eastern populations as representative of the genetic stock of the first Neolithic farmers while the second will be explored in depth in the following section.

Near Eastern Neolithic genetic contribution to the European gene pool

The sharing of mitochondrial haplotypes and haplogroups between pre-pottery farmers from the Fertile Crescent and European Neolithic populations, suggests a genetic contribution of the first Neolithic communities in the European mitochondrial genetic pool.

Haplogroup composition and PCA-HCA of the three ancient datasets compared here allow us to identify K and N*-derived haplogroups as potential Neolithic genetic contributors. Haplogroup K is present in all Early Neolithic datasets published so far with frequencies ranging from 7.7 to 43% (Table S7, [19], [28], [31]). Moreover, it is absent in Central European and Northern Iberian Paleolithic/Mesolithic mitochondrial backgrounds [20], [23], [28]. The presence of “rare” paragroup N* in both Cardial and Epicardial samples from North Eastern Iberia and PPNB populations confirms the connection between both edges of the Neolithic expansion previously suggested in [27].

Haplogroup N1a, representing 12.75% of LBK-AVK samples [19], [24], is not present in our PPNB sample, making it unlikely that this cluster was introduced from the earliest PPNB farmers of this region [23]. A more complex pattern for the LBK-AVK Neolithic expansion route, involving migration and admixture episodes with local hunter-gatherers in frontier zones (for example the predecessor populations of Starčevo-Criş-Körös cultures) should be considered in order to explain the available data for Neolithic populations of Central and Northern Europe. To solve this uncertainty, ancient DNA analysis from the Balkans region seems of vital importance.

The signal of both rare N-derived haplogroups over the Neolithic genetic pool must have been erased by subsequent genetic drift events after the consolidation of Neolithic practices, as it has been suggested in other works [15], [27], [50].

Routes of Neolithic expansion from the Near East into Europe

In the absence of ancient genetic data from populations in the primary and secondary Neolithization areas, a detailed comparison of the genetic composition of the PPNB population with modern adjacent populations can shed light on possible routes of Neolithic expansion.

As for modern Near Eastern populations, the frequency distribution of PPNB mitotypes in modern South Western European populations is limited (see Tables S5 and S7). However, strong genetic affinities at different levels of comparison could be detected with the islands of Cyprus and Crete (Figures 2, 3, 4 and S2, Tables S5, S7 and S9), pointing out at a survival of ancient Neolithic genetic stock in these populations probably through endogamy and geographic isolation.

The absence of an equivalent detectable genetic pattern in modern South-Western Anatolia suggests a primary role of pioneer seafaring colonization through Cyprus and the Aegean islands along the southern coast of Anatolia to the western coast of Greece.

This observation is supported by three facts:

The archaeological parallels found between the pre-pottery Neolithic of the Levant and those of Cyprus and the Aegean islands in terms of radiocarbon dating, settlement architecture, material culture, cereal and domestic animal species provide evidence for a sea-mediated arrival of Levantine people to Cyprus soon after the development of the agriculture, during the late PPNA or early PPNB, and a further expansion towards the Aegean [51]–[54].
The finding of PPNB lineages (U*) together with a high frequency of haplogroup K (16%) in a recent survey of Minoan mtDNA indicates a pre-Bronze arrival of these genetic traits of the island. Moreover, this result is in agreement with the archaeological information pointing at a Near Eastern Neolithic origin of the Bronze Age Cretan culture [55].
Spatial interpolation of radiocarbon dates has identified the Middle Euphrates-South Turkey region as the original centre of Neolithic expansion, and the maritime route through Cyprus, Crete and the Aegean islands as the primary route of Neolithic expansion from the Near East [56].
An alternative scenario of land-mediated expansion through Western Anatolia would assume a survival of the genetic traits observed in the PPNB sample until the end of the period, when Middle-PPNB descendant populations would have expanded to secondary, adjacent areas of Neolithization around 7,500–7,000 years B.C. [57], [58]. This framework is not supported by the obtained data, but cannot be completely discarded as genetic drift or post-Neolithic genetic remodeling of the area might have erased ancient genetic signatures, as already stated from modern Near Eastern populations. Considering that the Neolithic expansion process was not uniform [59], the development of appropriate, spatially-explicit, model-based, statistical inference tools could be of great assistance in fully exploring the probabilities of these and other, competing demographic scenarios.

In conclusion, the study of ancient DNA from the original geographic areas of Neolithic expansion performed here suggests a demic contribution of the first Near Eastern Neolithic in both main European routes of Neolithic expansion. Moreover, the population comparative analysis performed here points out at a leading role of seafaring colonization events in the first Neolithic expansions reaching the European continent. Further ancient DNA data from other primary and secondary areas of Neolithization and new data from frontier zones will be needed to add more resolution over the routes of expansion and the extent and nature of the genetic impact of the Neolithic over the European genetic pool.

Posts: 42922 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Since you are genuinely interested. I will oblige there are two RECENT landmark papers. Disregard the Achilli nonsense written about 15years ago on the origin of hg-H.

mtDNA hg-H is also of African origin. That is why I keep repeating there is no such thing as “race” and Europeans are a subset of Africans regardless of phenotype.

Two papers – 1) Enaffa(sp?) et al 2) Rym Kefi et al(2014).

All are posted on ESR.

Also “pillars of Hercules” recent cited by Lioness is also a good starting point. Wiki is not a good source for authentic knowledge.

quote:
quote:

wiki-ing Haplogroup H emphasizes that about 40% of all maternal lineages in Europe belong to haplogroup H with it's origins 20k BC southwest asia. It wouldn't be the first time I notice wikipedia editors adding false info if that's the case but is there any material I should read that challenges the origin they provide for haplogroup H?

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
BTW - good work also Lioness. You can be useful sometimes.....

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] Since you are genuinely interested. I will oblige there are two RECENT landmark papers. Disregard the Achilli nonsense written about 15years ago on the origin of hg-H.

mtDNA hg-H is also of African origin.

Yes, modern Europeans are largely of Tuareg ancestry
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/thread/1757/finally-kefi-2014-origin-mtdna
http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/thread/1374/mtdna-african-probably

All your questions have been answered on ESR.

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Colossal

Appreciate the work and effort

I'm dowoading, its a keeper

quote:
. . .
I put the assigned dates he placed and ran a search through all the PDFs and found them. ... I included the other haplogrouped samples he omitted and used the haplogroups in the original that he(?) changed:

*To find the ages of each specimen: PDF 3 (Material): page 46 Table/Tabla MA6. Maps of the sites can also be found in these PDFs.

*To find find Haplogroups: PDF 5 (Results/Resultados): Page 223-224 Table/Tabla R81

*If you need to translate the individual name to find sample (Muestra) name (since some tables refer to samples interchangeably) use Tabla/Table R11 in PDF 5 (Results/Resultados) at page 29.

El Pirulejo, Córdoba (Spain)

2PI (Sample name: 2PI): Haplogroup H: 12500-13500 A.P.

Tell Ramad, Syria

R65-31 (Sample name: TR8): Haplogroup H: 8000-7750 A.P.

R65-14 (Sample name: TR12) Haplogroup K: 8000-7750 A.P.

R65-C8-SEB (Sample name: TR16): Haplogroup K: 8000-7750 A.P.

R65-1S (Sample name: TR18): Haplogroup K: 8000-7750 A.P.

R66-4-400 (Sample name: TR19): Haplogroup C: 8000-7750 A.P.

Nerja, Málaga (Spain)

NE-NAP (Sample Name: 4NE): Haplogroup L1b: 2,260 BC

NE-1829 (Sample Name: 5NE): Haplogroup L1b: 5.875±80 A.P.

Tres Montes, Navarra (Spain)

TM-3 (sample name: 1TM2): Haplogroup L2: 4130 A.P

TM-6 (Sample name: 1TM4): Haplogroup L2: 4130 A.P

TM-6 (Sample name: 2TM4): Haplogroup H/K: 4130 A.P

TM-8 (Sample name: 1TM5) Haplogroup J* : 4130 A.P

TM-11 (Sample name: 1TM6) Haplogroup L2: 4130 A.P

TM-18 (Sample name: 1TM11) Haplogroup L2: 4130 A.P

Tell Halula, Syria

H-3 (Sample Name: TH2): Haplogroup H/K: 8800-8000 A.P.

H7 (Sample Name: TH5-TH6): Haplogroup H/HV/HV1/R/U: 8800-8000 A.P.

H-24 (Sample Name:1H24): Haplogroup H/T: 8800-8000 A.P.

H-37 (Sample Name: 2H20): Haplogroup L2: 8800-8000 A.P.

H-43 (Sample Name: 2H31): Haplogroup L2: 8800-8000 A.P.

H-45 (Sample Name: 1H17): Haplogroup H/K:7100-6500 A.P.

H-49 (Sample Name:1H15): Haplogroup L3a: 8800-8000 A.P.

H-68 (Sample Name: H12): Haplogroup H/T: 8800-8000 A.P.

Toledo, Portugal

K-13 (Sample Name: TO1): Haplogroup L3a: 9200-7800 A.P.

Dja’de, Syria

SK-A2 (Sample Name: DJ1): Haplogroup H/T: 9400-8700 A.P.

Mari, Syria

Mari [1] (Sample Name: 1MA1): Haplogroup H 2900-2700 A.P

Mari [2] (Sample Name: 2MA2): Haplogroup U4: 2900-2700 A.P

Mari [5] (Sample Name: 1MA5): Haplogroup U4: 2900-2700 A.P

Mari [10] (Sample Name: 2MA10): Haplogroup L3a: 2550 A.P

Mari [11] (Sample Name: 3MA11):Haplogroup J1a: 2550 A.P

Mari [12] (Sample Name: IMAI2): Haplogroup L2: 2550 A.P

Abauntz, Navarra (Spain)

ABb1.1 (Sample Name: AB5): Haplogroup H: 4240 A.P

AB17C (Sample Name: AB14): Haplogroup L2: 4240 A.P

AB23C (Sample Name: AB9): Haplogroup J*: 4240 A.P

... if I screwed up I will post it again with some edits >>> if anyone wants it<<<

I still have a few questions though:

quote:
NE-1829 (Sample Name 5NE): Haplogroup L1b: 5.875±80 A.P.
What doesthis mean? The chart says it's Neolithic but it says 5.875±80 A.P (which I'm guessing is BC).

quote:

Is this A.P too? I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but what is A.P? I've heard of BCE and AD. This acronym I'm not as familiar with.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could AP be a Romance version
for BP i.e., Before Present, where
'present' = 1950 for some odd
reason.

OK, it is Antes Presente and the
Iberian Neolithic was from the
5th-3rd millennia BCE, right?

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
[QB] Thanks everyone for the help! it took me a lot of reading to get a better understanding. Seeing how the guy omitted information, I put the assigned dates he placed and ran a search through all the PDFs and found them. But since he didn't add a lot of the data I included the other haplogrouped samples he omitted and used the haplogroups in the original that he(?) changed:

why was something omitted?
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:
[QB] Thanks everyone for the help! it took me a lot of reading to get a better understanding. Seeing how the guy omitted information, I put the assigned dates he placed and ran a search through all the PDFs and found them. But since he didn't add a lot of the data I included the other haplogrouped samples he omitted and used the haplogroups in the original that he(?) changed:

why was something omitted?
All I know is that I confirmed what Swenet was saying about this site:

They omitted a lot samples (most especially L haplogroups) from the study. Some samples the site did add but changed the haplogroups from what the study said or omitted info about it. The site still had some use though. It gave dates I needed and allowed me the ability to search all the pdfs for the date to double check their accuracy and to make the breakdown of ages, location and assigned Haplogroups above. That would've been impossible to do if the site hadn't given the me numbers to go searching for. [Smile]

Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
quote:
Since you are genuinely interested. I will oblige there are two RECENT landmark papers. Disregard the Achilli nonsense written about 15years ago on the origin of hg-H.

mtDNA hg-H is also of African origin. That is why I keep repeating there is no such thing as “race” and Europeans are a subset of Africans regardless of phenotype.

Two papers – 1) Enaffa(sp?) et al 2) Rym Kefi et al(2014).

[/QB][/QUOTE]

Thanks I will continue reading. I looked at ESR and I'm a little confused by something you posted. Namely this

-

Now, I'm still not entirely sure about how the origin of a given Haplogroup is found. But it sounds like sounds like refutations are pointing towards Tunisia. But then how come the Libyan Sahara (61.2) and Mali (52.4) have higher rates of Haplogroup H if there seems to be a growing argument it originate in Tunisia (31.3)? Even Greece (42.2), France (45.4) and Slovakia (47) by this graph has more than rates of Haplogroup H than Tunisia.

I notice the position on ESR a Tunisian origin is defended by H haplotype and nucleotide diversity, nucleotide differences and Tunisia having the second greatest number of Haplotypes. I don't kno very much about genetics so it's hard reading these things. But if Mali and Libya have higher values, wouldn't they make likelier candidates? [Confused]

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Good questions. But, yes, many authors use frequency (ie the amount) as indicative of origin. But in reality OTHER authors use haplotype diversity. So, based on frequency, ONLY, yes hg-H will have an European origin(Achilli et al). But this is an archaic method that is becoming obsolete. Haplotype diversity is a better method especially with more advance genetic testing technique becoming available, like NGS. If you read my thread on "genetic surfing" posted on here it will explain how Euroepans ended up with a higher frequency of hg-H. Dr Winters have a problem with the theory but this is how isolation by distance(IBD) works. Now as WHERE in Africa did hg-H originate? Personally the evidence to me points to ..yes, the Sahara west of the Upper Nile Valley. Why? We have to take into consideration the upstream haplogroups. Eg N, R, HV and of course the sibling hg-U. All taken together along with what we know in archeology and anthrolopogy , yes, the origin seems to be in the Sahara/Sahel belt of Africa for all these clades and sub-clades.

--------------------

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Also keep in mind the hypothesis of the Enafaa paper. Look at the data in the Supplementals. Enafaa proved TWO things in the paper. That Europeans-Tunisians have a closer matching hg-H haplotypes than Tunisans-"Arabians" or Arabians- Europeans. So in other words hg-H found in Europeans did NOT originate in the "middle east". Enafaa stopped short of concluding whether it was Europe to Tunisia or Tunisia to Europe. That is where the Rym Kefi paper (2014)and the "Pillars of Hercules" paper come in. Both paper conclude that the haplotypes of hg-H/HV found in Europeans are a sub-set of those found in Africans. In other words it was a South to North migration and is was NOT through the Levant. Lazaridis et al later then confirmed this through ancestry informative markers(AIM).

Now the only question remaining is did the male line R1b-M269-L11 follow the same path and when? That is where Busby et al and Hammer et al comes in. Bioth papers conclude it was RECENT long after the Neolithic may be the Bronze age. I personall think it is much later. May be the Medieval age. Why? aDNA testing even in the Bronze Age do NOT confirm the dominant presence of the modern Euroepan male line.

Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
If we based it on frequency only we'd still have an African origin in Mali or the Libyan Sahara wouldn't we? I notice that now the direction of conversation has been "are the Tunisians black/arab/white" following the Hannibal debate I found out about in another topic. I guess if they can insist Tunisians are predominantly "arabs" today, Haplogroup H is still an "Arab" variation and the result of some migration. But then let me see if I get this right, the Enafaa paper deals with that reasoning because Europeans and Tunisians have closer matching Hg-H, showing it wasn't the result of a migration into the continent, but the reverse? It'd be nice to measure the distance between Tunisian Hg-h and Mali and the Libyan sahara. Is the raw data there to make that possible?
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
I said many times. I am not sure what an 'A" rab is. Are they the people that speak Arabic in North Africa? Those people with Turbans we see on TV? lol! Bottomline is. Whoever they tested as indigenous North Africans...these people are ancestral to Europeans. I have concluded that There are foreigners indeed in North Africa but I am not sure WHO they are. I believe there are remnants of the Turkish Empire living in North Africa.

I left out that the infamous Henn and many other concluded the same thing.

This is a done deal.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Oshum be very careful reading anything by xyyman he routinely has his own unique explanations which are poorly reasoned and biased and he often purposely leaves out the links to these articles because he's conclusions are directly opposite to the conclusions of the article.

This is the article the chart comes from notice the title >

quote:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0013378

Mitochondrial Haplogroup H1 in North Africa: An Early Holocene Arrival from Iberia

Claudio Ottoni , Giuseppina Primativo , Baharak Hooshiar Kashani, Alessandro Achilli, Cristina Martínez-Labarga, Gianfranco Biondi, Antonio Torroni, Olga Rickards
Published: October 21, 2010

The Tuareg of the Fezzan region (Libya) are characterized by an extremely high frequency (61%) of haplogroup H1, a mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) haplogroup that is common in all Western European populations. To define how and when H1 spread from Europe to North Africa up to the Central Sahara, in Fezzan, we investigated the complete mitochondrial genomes of eleven Libyan Tuareg belonging to H1. Coalescence time estimates suggest an arrival of the European H1 mtDNAs at about 8,000–9,000 years ago, while phylogenetic analyses reveal three novel H1 branches, termed H1v, H1w and H1x, which appear to be specific for North African populations, but whose frequencies can be extremely different even in relatively close Tuareg villages. Overall, these findings support the scenario of an arrival of haplogroup H1 in North Africa from Iberia at the beginning of the Holocene, as a consequence of the improvement in climate conditions after the Younger Dryas cold snap, followed by in situ formation of local H1 sub-haplogroups. This process of autochthonous differentiation continues in the Libyan Tuareg who, probably due to isolation and recent founder events, are characterized by village-specific maternal mtDNA lineages.

quote:
Originally posted by xyyman

yes, many authors use frequency (ie the amount) as indicative of origin. But in reality OTHER authors use haplotype diversity. So, based on frequency, ONLY, yes hg-H will have an European origin(Achilli et al). But this is an archaic method that is becoming obsolete. Haplotype diversity is a better method

^^ yes, to an extent diversity needs to be taken into account:

quote:

Mitochondrial Haplogroup H1 in North Africa: An Early Holocene Arrival from Iberia

The genetic diversity of the Libyan H1 mtDNAs appeared to be extremely low, with 91% of the H1 individuals sharing the same HVS-I/II haplotype (i.e. CRS-263).

The sharp homogeneity of H1 in the Libyan Tuareg, who show extremely low values of haplotype diversity (0.165), is straightforward. Moroccans, Tunisians and the Tuareg from Sahel were found to be much more diverse than the Libyan Tuareg, with haplotype diversities of 0.577, 0.633 and 0.595, respectively.

Indeed, Moroccans and Tunisians, the populations geographically closest to Europe, harbor the highest diversity values for all considered indices. Thus, the coastal areas of northwestern Africa, after the arrival of the Iberian founder H1 mtDNAs, probably acted as centers for the subsequent diffusion of H1 in the internal regions of North Africa. The rather high frequency of H1 in the Tuareg from Sahel (23.3%), in association with intermediate diversity values, is in agreement with the proposal that drift played a major role in shaping the genetic structure of inland populations after they were entrapped in the Sahel belt by the desertification of the Sahara [37]. As for the Libyan Tuareg, the extremely low values of the diversity indices confirm that the outstanding high frequency of H1 in this population is the result of even more recent founder events.

^^ This paper discusses the diversity of H in Africa and in relation to the entry point, Iberia . It does not talk about the diversity of H on a world wide basis.

However H1 as a whole has a higher diversity in the Near East than in Iberia (Ennafaa et al., 2009).

http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/24/2/436.full

Origin and Expansion of Haplogroup H, the Dominant Human Mitochondrial DNA Lineage in West Eurasia: The Near Eastern and Caucasian Perspective
U Roostalu1,*, I Kutuev*†, E-L Loogväli*, E Metspalu*, K Tambets*, M Reidla*, EK Khusnutdinova†, E Usanga‡, T Kivisild* and R Villems*

We assume, therefore, that the first expansion wave of hg H may have taken place during this favorable time frame, probably in the northern part of the Near East and the southern Caucasus, where the oldest clades of hg H appear to be more diverse until now. It has been shown that the Upper Paleolithic archaeological culture was present in the South Caucasus more than 30,000 YBP, well before the LGM (Adler et al. 2006), giving support for our estimates of past population expansions in this region.

How far the pre-LGM expansion of hg H from the Near East may have reached before the onset of the LGM is indicated by the distributions of some hg H subclades (H1, H3) (Achilli et al. 2004; Pereira et al. 2005), as well as its sister clade hg V (Torroni et al. 1998, 2001). In Europe, these clades display frequency clines radiating from the Iberian Peninsula. This pattern has been associated with the spread of the carriers of the Magdalenian culture after the LGM, suggesting that hg H had reached Europe (Pereira et al. 2005) and, perhaps, western Siberia/Inner Asia (Loogväli et al. 2004), before the LGM.

It is most likely that the initial population expansion in the southern Caucasus and the Near East involved other maternal lineages besides hg H as well. In this context, it is worth pointing out that hg U3 has been shown to be most divergent in this region, having begun to expand about 30,000 YBP (Metspalu et al. 1999). Similarly, hg HV1, with an analogous coalescence estimate, is most common and diverse in the southern Caucasus, present in the eastern Mediterranean. On the other hand, neither of the 2 became ever as frequent in Europe as hg H did (Tambets et al. 2000), suggesting that profoundly different later migration scenarios apply to them.

xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Understand Lioness's role here. to distract, detract, muddy the water, misrepresent etc. Granted he is cunning.

Anyways. All these papers were broken down and posted on ESR. Roostalu et al paper is good but OUTDATED!!

Nice try Lioness.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com