EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Abusir el-Meleq: Lower Egyptian (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Abusir el-Meleq: Lower Egyptian
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannohotep:
quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
DNA evidence should be only one aspect of the story, not the end all be all like some folks try to proclaim or promote.

Especially if it's from a subpopulation we already knew stood out from other Egyptians in different time periods and regions. Findings like this can't necessarily be interpreted outside of a larger context as revealed by other data. That'd be like how some people here wanted to treat the DNA Tribes reports as the final word on AE affinities before this came out.

Furthermore, the bigger problem is often less with the data itself than with how the uninformed might interpret it. Recall that, in the ADMIXTURE charts, the largest ancestry component in the Abusir el-Meleq mummy genomes appeared to be the brown "Natufian" component. If you look at the ADMIXTURE charts in the study's supplementary material, you'll find Northeast African populations like the Somalis and Ethiopians have plenty of the same brown component. The trick is will be to figure out how much of that brown component is native to North Africa (e.g. "Basal Eurasian") and how much of it is genuinely Eurasian. If it's largely African, then the Abusir el-Meleq mummies aren't purely Eurasian transplants anyway.

Even if they weren't Eurasian transplants, the message that even the uninformed got from the study is that the Abusir sample is much closer to Near Easterners than SSA and that to argue that the brown "Natufian" component is genetically African, many Near Easterners would be understood as an extension of Africa as well.
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evergreen
Member # 12192

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Evergreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be just me, but I find it ironic that we live in a time where many “Westerners” are hypersensitive about “The Wall” and culture replacement in Europe/North America. In a historic context I wonder about the dialogue Africans were having around the time of the inception of the Wall of Sneferu.

--------------------
Black Roots.

Posts: 2007 | From: Washington State | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evergreen:
It could be just me, but I find it ironic that we live in a time where many “Westerners” are hypersensitive about “The Wall” and culture replacement in Europe/North America. In a historic context I wonder about the dialogue Africans were having around the time of the inception of the Wall of Sneferu.

FWIW, this is from the Middle Kingdom "Prophecy of Neferti" during the reign of Amenemhet I:
quote:
One will build the Walls-of-the-Ruler,
To bar Asiatics from entering Egypt;
They shall beg water as supplicants,
So as to let their cattle drink.
Then Order will return to its seat,
While Chaos is driven away.

Although to be sure, the later Senusret III adopted a similar policy against immigrants from the south as recorded on the Semna stela:

quote:
Southern boundary, made in the year 8, under the majesty of the King of Upper and Lower Egypt, Khekure (Senusret III), who is given life forever and ever; in order to prevent that any [Southerner] should cross it, by water or by land, with a ship, (or) any herds of the [Southerners]; except a [Southerner] who shall come to do trading in Iken, or with a commission. Every good thing shall be done with them, but without allowing a ship of the [Southerners] to pass by Heh (Semna), going downstream forever.
My source for both passages is here.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7080 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
quote:
Originally posted by Oshun:

Oh and why do so many of the Socotra look like this:

-

They do not have much African ancestry and have been isolated from other Near Easterners after they arrived there around 6kya.

Look at my Socatra thread for new detailed genetics on Socatra

Haplogroup E 9.5% and mtDNA L

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=009999#000001

It's not new, it's revisioned to support an agenda.

quote:
“haplogroup J

To resume, our results clearly reject the scenario put forward so far of a strict correlation between the Arab expansion in historical times and the overall pattern of distribution of J1-related chromosomes. Similarly, the causal association between STR-defined haplotypes and ethnic groups appear without any robust support, making its use inadequate for forensic or genealogical purposes. Instead, J1 variation provided the genetic background to correlate climatic changes to human demographic and socio-cultural events scarcely documented in the archaeological record – the dispersal of hunter gatherers after the termination of glacial conditions in the late Pleistocene and the desertification-driven retreat of tribes of Saharan and Arabian foragers in the transition to a food-producing economy.

~Sergio Tofanelli et al.

J1-M267 Y lineage marks climate-driven pre-historical human displacements

European Journal of Human Genetics (2009) 17, 1520 – 1524

Posts: 22235 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by -Just Call Me Jari-:
Exactly and heck lets say the Abu Sier mummies were Eurasian, say they(or another hypothetical population) were determined to be Blonde Blue eyed R1b with fair skin and inhabited Egypt from the Predynastic era(I know Eurasian doesnt equal Blond hair etc)...SO WHAT This doesnt disprove the EVIDENCE WE ALREADY HAVE.....We have the A-Group Sudani burials intertwining with Upper Egyptian territory and with proto-Egyptian iconography like the Qatsul burner, We have the Cave Art in places like Gilf Gebir with Proto-Egyptian dieties like Nut and Hathor, we have the Badarian burials, the more advanced culture of Upper Egypt and Northern Sudan v the Lower Egyptian culture. We have TONS of A.Egyptian Art depicting Dark Brown and Black Skinned NAtives in various positions of the state from the Aristocracy to the Peasantry, We have the Neheshi infiltrations/intermarrying as early as the 4th Dynasty; the 12th Dynasty Uah-Ka Neshi revitalizing Kemetian culture and even using PR propaganda in the form of the Neferti prophesy to justify his Sudani ancestry. We have Ramses depicting some of the enemy Neheshi with the same Red skin as himself thus unintentionally grouping them with himself, something not seen with his Asiatic and Coastal Lybian enemies who he depicted as having lighter skin.

What Nehesi intermarriages are you talking about in the 4th dynasty? Also, while I don't boast the greatest understanding of Egyptology, the samples are always from Lower Egypt. Lower Egypt ancient and modern has become the face of Egypt despite the role of Upper Egypt. Everything you mentioned describes influences from southern Egypt and Nubia. Keeping artistic, genetic and archeological focus on Lower Egypt is what will likely continue.
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Just Call Me Jari-
Member # 14451

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Just Call Me Jari-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oshun you can find info on the 4th Dynasty ties to Nehesi Royalty here

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=007406

Posts: 8804 | From: The fear of his majesty had entered their hearts, they were powerless | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
quote:
Six pear-shaped stone maceheads were recorded, one with a bull’s head in relief.
Other small finds include various articles of jewelry: bracelets or armbands of shell,
ivory, leather and horn, and many beads of stone, copper, shell and faïence. A few small
carved animal figurines (dogs, lions and a hippopotamus) were also excavated. An ivory
cylinder seal carved with three rows of animals (dogs, a crocodile, antelopes, jackals, a
scorpion, snake and vultures) was found in Grave 1035. Of local manufacture, this
cylinder seal is a type of artifact that originated in Mesopotamia, as did its orientalizing
motifs.

When we consider the northern location of the Abusir el-Meleq cemetery not only are the occurrences of the cylinder seal and the several vessels of Palestinian influence significant, but also two types of skeletons have been distinguished in the anthropological study. An “Upper Egyptian” type occurs, but there is also a more robust “Lower Egyptian” type, which may represent the descendants of the Predynastic Ma’adi culture of Lower Egypt. In the fourth millennium BC, Abusir el-Meleq must have played some role in the colonization of Lower Egypt by peoples of the Upper Egyptian Nagada culture, which resulted in the subsequent disappearance of the Lower Egyptian Ma’adi culture. The site may have been an outlying post regulating the routes of communication to trade colonies in the Delta, such as Buto and Minshat Abu Omar.

Encyclopedia of the Archaeology of Ancient Egypt
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ish Geber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Oshun:

Oh and why do so many of the Socotra look like this:

-

They do not have much African ancestry and have been isolated from other Near Easterners after they arrived there around 6kya.

Look at my Socatra thread for new detailed genetics on Socatra

Haplogroup E 9.5% and mtDNA L

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=009999#000001

With all the respect, to come back to this.

You just told as that everybody with a certain phenotype needs to cluster in Hg L. That is a false claim, as you know by now.

There have been "negroid/ Africoid populations" found all over the world. And with modern science we found out that they are genetically distant, but always carry the oldest DNA and RNA.

Posts: 22235 | From: האם אינכם כילדי הכרית אלי בני ישראל | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ish Gebor:

You just told as that everybody with a certain phenotype needs to cluster in Hg L.

show us the quote where I supposedly said that

in particular me saying "everybody" or "all "
- any words to the effect "must have"

Posts: 42930 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
quote:
quote:

You just told as that everybody with a certain phenotype needs to cluster in Hg L.

Dear Lioness, I am refering to this part.

"They do not have much African ancestry and have been isolated from other Near Easterners after they arrived there around 6kya."

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Dear Lioness, I am refering to this part.

"They do not have much African ancestry and have been isolated from other Near Easterners after they arrived there around 6kya."

That is not a quote of me it's Oshun
Posts: 42930 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ish Geber
Member # 18264

Member Rated:
^Ah, I see.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com