EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » State of the Forum

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: State of the Forum
Punos_Rey
Administrator
Member # 21929

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Punos_Rey   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So members, I wanted to give you all a chance to voice your opinions, complaints, etc about the Egyptology forum and its current admin/moderator. What is going right so far? What could be improved in this forum? Say whatever you want but I request that if you have a complaint please offer some kind of solution, and absolutely no disrespect towards mods/Admins will be tolerated. Air your grievances, don't tear people down.

--------------------
 -

Meet on the Level, act upon the Plumb, part on the Square.

Posts: 574 | From: Guinee | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will forever be thankful for how you and the other mods have kept this forum clean and civil. My only real complaint is one that would be difficult to correct, namely the decline in regular activity.

Part of the problem is that those forum veterans who still visit this place don't have as much spare time to participate in the community as they once did. Another factor may be an unfortunate side effect of the site's detoxification. By nature, the things we discuss here are like bleeding shark bait to the most unsavory trolls, so a disproportionate number of people who will want to post here are those who don't come with the best of intentions. It's such a shame that African history and anthropology---even more so Egyptology with an "Afrocentric" perspective---has always suffered from that kind of racist pollution, but as beyoku would say, it is what it is.

It may also be that the site's focus is a bit too narrow. We do talk about things other than African AE here, but that one topic has always been our main draw. Might there be room to broaden our scope to cover other issues? Like, maybe separate boards for serious discussions about anthropology etc. that aren't supposed to fixate on Egypt? That might attract a greater variety of interested posters.

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmaestro
Member # 22566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elmaestro     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update the BBcode
Posts: 1781 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish the owner would update this forum since it is generating him money. The template of this forum is seriously dated. 2006 dated.

Also like Truthcentric said we need to find a way to have more activity.

Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Egyptsearch Reloaded has a lot more forum categories
but that has not seemed to result in more activity
than we have

the title page

http://egyptsearchreloaded.proboards.com/

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrannohotep:
I will forever be thankful for how you and the other mods have kept this forum clean and civil. My only real complaint is one that would be difficult to correct, namely the decline in regular activity.

Part of the problem is that those forum veterans who still visit this place don't have as much spare time to participate in the community as they once did. Another factor may be an unfortunate side effect of the site's detoxification. By nature, the things we discuss here are like bleeding shark bait to the most unsavory trolls, so a disproportionate number of people who will want to post here are those who don't come with the best of intentions. It's such a shame that African history and anthropology---even more so Egyptology with an "Afrocentric" perspective---has always suffered from that kind of racist pollution, but as beyoku would say, it is what it is.

It may also be that the site's focus is a bit too narrow. We do talk about things other than African AE here, but that one topic has always been our main draw. Might there be room to broaden our scope to cover other issues? Like, maybe separate boards for serious discussions about anthropology etc. that aren't supposed to fixate on Egypt? That might attract a greater variety of interested posters.

The bolded is what the Egyptology section is for. And with less activity we shouldn't have too many discussion categories yet.
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Elmaestro:
Update the BBcode

This is badly needed.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The topic that historically generated a lot of views was the topic

"Were the Egyptians Black?"

or "The Ancient Egyptians were Black"

I remember there was a thread on the Topix website forum
It had a thread to that effect with maybe 10,000 replies, going on for pages and pages

But I think that subject ran it's course, people lost interest. It turned out to have less pertinence to people's lives than they thought.

Most of the Afrocentric scholars of the 1990s have died (except Asante) and interest in Afrocentrism has gradually diminished year to year.

I also noticed that even before this new wave of moderation and when there still was nearly no moderation that white supremacist trolls had already became less interested in dropping bomb threads.

So the controversial aspect, one side against the other generating drama has become less over the years.

There was also the rise of the history conspiracists and anti-white biological theorists and that generated some activity but mainly by me battling them. But apart form that not really that much activity other than a few regular people battling.

This website could also be redesigned as a much more academic site just on ancient Egypt and Nile Valley and various sub categories of those

for instance individual forums for

EGYPTIAN AND NILE VALLEY

- Archaeology

- Physical Morphology

- DNA

- Culture

- Pre-Dynastic

- Dynasties

- Kings and Queens

- Architecture and Monuments

- Art

- Neighboring Nations and foes

- African Civilizations

^ All of this would be ancient only pertaining mainly to the Nile Valley and it's neighbors

but I don't know if people want this

there is a different audience between people who are interested in ancient Egypt for it's political
implications for today and people who are interested in the civilization in it's own time.
These audiences cross over sometimes but only to a limited extent

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
There are currently at least 10 threads in Egyptology that have nothing to do with Egypt or related ancient civilizations but I don't know if people care about that.
Take a look at the main page and do a count to see

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:

Most of the Afrocentric scholars of the 1990s have died (except Asante) and interest in Afrocentrism has gradually diminished year to year.

You must be joking.
There are more Afrocentric scholars now than ever.
Universities like Temple in Philly keep churning them out.

I've Started a couple threads about the academic
discipline Afrocentrism to no avail because everyone
loves to lie about what Afrocentricity really is and
what degree holding Afrocentrics are interested in
and actually write about.

Can any you name me one Afrocentric periodical?
What's the name the encyclopedia Afrocentrics published
What are the topics, issues and interests covered in either?

ES is explicit in spreading the false image, yte
mainstream media corrupted, know-nothing deliberate
misconception of Afrocentrism.

The themes attributed to Afrocentric scholarship here are hardly what's regularly published by Afrocentric scholars.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ase
Member # 19740

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ase     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish this forum would get an upgrade... Glad many of the racists that derail the forum are gone or have been more effectively dealt with.
Posts: 2508 | From: . | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Professor Molefe Asante wrote the first book with

the word "Afrocentricty" or any form of the word

The title was
Afrocentricity: The Theory of Social Change in published in 1980

Asante is the chair of the Department of Africology and African American Studies at Temple

In naming the department the "centric" part was eliminated

Eurocentrism

The adjective Eurocentric, or Europe-centric, has been in use, in various contexts, since at least the 1920s. The term was popularised (in French as européocentrique) in the context of decolonization and internationalism in the mid-20th century.[4] English usage of Eurocentric as an ideological term in identity politics was current by the mid-1980s.

The abstract noun Eurocentrism (French eurocentrisme, earlier europocentrisme) as the term for an ideology was coined in the 1970s by the Egyptian Marxian economist Samir Amin, then director of the African Institute for Economic Development and Planning of the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa. Amin used the term in the context of a global, core-periphery or dependency model of capitalist development. English usage of Eurocentrism is recorded by 1979

The "centric" part had a negative connotation.

This new word Africology was first used in French by a Haitian Scholar in the 1920s but University of Wisconsin Professor Winston Van Horne started using it in English in the 1980s.

Perhaps the most African term would use an African word.
Nevertheless this term "Africology" has not caught on at other Universities

"African Studies" is common. Similarly Departments "European Studies" "Asian Studies".
Howard's department is called "African Studies"

Anyway the term "Afrocentricity" is not being used by the very professor who wrote the landmark book in 1980 which started the movement and who chairs a department at Temple he calls Africology and African American Studies.
-Although I think he still likes and is proud of the term Afrocentricity

In the 1990s some lay people in the Black community knew of writers like Dr. Ben, John Henrik Clarke, Ivan Van Sertima or Professor Leonard Jeffies.

But today nobody in the Black community who isn't a part of that Temple university sphere knows of any of the Temple scholars apart from Asante and there are few books known to the lay black community equivalently known to They Came Before Columbus
or African Origins of Major Western Religions or
Destruction of Black Civilization, all by now deceased authors

Instead in social media based popular culture there are numerous videos, Dane Calloway and others saying the slave trade was greatly exaggerated and most black people in America are descendants of Aboriginal Americans "ABO" who were already in America before the Euroepans came.
This is also similar to what some adherents of the The Moorish Science Temple of Noble Drew Ali say who had a low key presence in the Black community in some places since the late 1920s (although they
very particular ideas about it)

On the other hand another movement of note lately is the ADOS(American Descendants of Slavery) movement saying the opposite that black people in America are primarily of slave ancestry and are due Reparations

Anyway in the Black community these two social media/ youtube movements are more prominent than Africology which is basically a University based concept a field of study that being part of a university is limited politically

However African Studies is established and ongoing at some universities.

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cite me some academic professional Afrocentrist
authored works. Something not done here outside
curt copy&paste splashes.

Wiki can only tell me Eurocentric viewpoints.
Its certainly no ethnicless classless objective
universal reporter of black peoples.

Look up the periodicals.
Buy the encyclopedia.
They're what needs be quoted
and the published books.

Or continue building outside biased opinion
instead of Afrocentric professional voices.

Choice is yours and every readers to make.
Done here. Plenty posted years ago. Will
take questions from any interested learning
what is Afrocentrism, the university discipline.
But only in an appropriate thread.

Sorry to interject in this thread which topic
I have no comment. It's that an 'Afrocentric'
matter posted here and I replied here.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Here's the thread started by Jari

Afrocentrism an African American creation?

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=012940;p=1#000050

or a new one could started in Deshet or Kemet forum perhaps

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Ok thx but I expect no real interest, just
reminding there's a real Afrocentrism that's
not what the media informed general public
has turned it into. Of coarse Afrocentric
will continue its latter usage (gravity
wins the fight ask your galaxy's
central Black Hole)

STATE OF THE FORUM
It's here and I'm posting to it's
nonclique ridden threads as long
as no one minds

--------------------

Pvt2019
Member # 23146

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pvt2019   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hello
Posts: 1 | From: Cairo | Registered: Oct 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naturalborn7
Member # 15598

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for naturalborn7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its been years since i visited this site Ancient Egypt section? I see Lioness is still here....they used to ride you back then lol but good to see you. Anyway i need access to those old files and are any of those people still around? Where did they go? i really need to scroll through a lot of those old posts.
Posts: 142 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naturalborn7
Member # 15598

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for naturalborn7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind....i resurrected my chrome browser after years of using safari and i forgot i saved all my favorite threads and bookmarked them. They're still readable. I didn't know chrome does that considering i've been through quite a few laptops since then. Anyway good to see this site still exists.
Posts: 142 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
naturalborn7
Member # 15598

Rate Member
Punos Rey i'm a traveling man also.
Nassbean
Banned by a New World Black
Member # 23084

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nassbean         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lack of diversity and so no productive debates ...only afrocentrism seems to be allowed here. Also it should be more neutral/objective.
Posts: 218 | From: Europe | Registered: Jun 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Ah, but who can decide what is neutral/objective since everyone has biases whether they admit it or not.

--------------------

Nassbean
Member # 23084

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nassbean         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:
Ah, but who can decide what is neutral/objective since everyone has biases whether they admit it or not.

Start to respect different opinions and try to not impose yours
Posts: 218 | From: Europe | Registered: Jun 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
you must have mistaken the forum for being active
Tukuler
Member # 19944

@ Nassbean -- sounds like projection to me. My signature solicits others' opinions. BTW Comp Sci even admits bias poisons algorithms https://www.newscientist.com/article/2166207-discriminating-algorithms-5-times-ai-showed-prejudice/

@ theLioness -- hahaha times change and social media format has obsoleted this type of forum.

--------------------

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Nassbean:
The lack of diversity and so no productive debates ...only afrocentrism seems to be allowed here. Also it should be more neutral/objective.

This forum has actually gotten rid of the more hardcore "Afrocentric" posters...
Nassbean
Member # 23084

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Askia_The_Great:
quote:
Originally posted by Nassbean:

This forum has actually gotten rid of the more hardcore "Afrocentric" posters...
Good to know
real expert
Banned
Member # 22352

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for real expert         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion, a forum shouldn't be heavily moderated since it's better to debunk and educate people with crazy and fringe theories with arguments than resorting to banning unless of course people just want to troll for the sake of trolling. However, there are people who I find enjoy lots of freedom since they can write intelligence-insulting gibberish that borders to extreme trolling and get away with it while other users have to be careful what they write. I got banned for less and without the possibility to defend my cause. Plus I do think that Egyptsearch should be open for diverse opinions in order to appear more balanced and less onesided. For instance, people who have a different take on history or archaeogenetics than Afrocentrists should be able to discuss their ideas and engage in debates with people with Afrocentric views without being labeled as white supremacists or racists. Being critical of some Afrocentric views/theories, scholars can't be equated with anti-blackness since criticizing or disagreeing with the ideas of a person doesn't translate in rejecting the person and his ethnicity as such. Furthermore, there are Africans and blacks from the diaspora that are explicitly critical of Afrocentrism.
Posts: 49 | From: Germany | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com