EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » how do translators decide on ancient Egyptian vowels? Is it random? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: how do translators decide on ancient Egyptian vowels? Is it random?
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

I'll tell you the source later

If you translate a sentence or more into English and it varies significantly from other translations of it that will be a retranslation.

You should be able to identify the Book

Posts: 42940 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AncientGebts   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could have given me a clearer copy. But you're cheating, so what do I expect. [Roll Eyes]

But I must remind you, cheaters never win and winners never cheat. [Big Grin]

Posts: 751 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AncientGebts   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I seeing the word "Earth" in the first sentence?
Posts: 751 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AncientGebts:
You could have given me a clearer copy. But you're cheating, so what do I expect. [Roll Eyes]

But I must remind you, cheaters never win and winners never cheat. [Big Grin]

I'm not cheating. You said you can do translations of the bible so I am merely giving you one to translate
Posts: 42940 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
I'm not going to cheat like you and give the page to my Biblical Hebrew expert to translate for me.
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
Codex Sinaiticus - Matthew 9
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Look, I'm not trying to be rude, but that is not an example of mistranslation.

I remember Asar often telling me to provide a translation. I provided a transcription and what I consider word matches. He repeated to me to provide a translation.

Asar was right -- I was not providing translations. Word matches are not translations, though you can translate words. But that was not was he was asking me for.

As such, I am showing mistranslations of words, not translations of sentences, which is what I believe he was asking for.

My retranslations are of words. And if the words are mistranslated, then the supposed sentences the words are supposed to talk about are mistranslations.

• If somebody writes a sentence, "The dog chased the cat"
  • And somebody comes along and reads the word dog as duck and cat as kite
  • Then some stupid person believing the translation as being "The duck chased the kite" would believe both objects have the ability of flight
  • But they would be wrong
  • Then if someone came along and showed the correct words as being dog and cat, not duck and kite
  • Plenty of stupid people would still refuse to believe the sentence said "The dog chased the cat"

Okay, I get all that but what does any of that have to do with Greek Theogony or even farther removed Rig Veda? You can make the argument with the Bible because of geography and history but you cannot do the same with the other texts you mentioned. What about the Sumerian Kesh Temple Hymn or the Zoroastrian Gathas? You might as well connect those two texts to the Bronze Age Egyptianized Yaffa if that's the case.

quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

@ DJ

Yes the Septuagint has known intentional mistranslations.

In one instance 'hare' was translated to something else.
The hare is unclean to Israelites.
The Emperor's wife's name was Hare.
They purposefully mistranslated to avoid pissing off the emperor.

Oh I've never doubted such! When it comes to religion, the sacred texts are controlled first and foremost by the clerics who transcribe, maintain, and promulgate the texts to begin with followed by the elite rulers act in concert with the clerics to control the population. I have never doubt that original wordings and/or ideas conveyed in such texts were changed on purpose and I've always suspected as much.
Posts: 26316 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
what in the bible have you translated besides genesis? And what about New Testament?

I've retranslated the underlying text from across the Old Testament and New Testament.

In terms of the New Testament, I've retranslated the underlying text of Matthew, 1st Timothy 2, Acts, Revelation and more. And I've done it from the Peshitta (Aramaic) as well as the Greek.

The underlying text of the New Testament is the same content, context and vocabulary as the underlying text of Old Testament.

It is all farming.

LOL [Big Grin]

So it's not just creation/origin part of the Bible but the entire Bible including the New Testament is about Egyptian farming in Yaffa?! And you base this on which mistranslations??

quote:
I won't get into what came first, the chicken or the egg. In either case, both the Peshitta (Aramaic) and the Greek represent mistranslations of ancient Egyptian Yafo/Dead Sea region farming texts.

Pesitta (Syriac/Aramaic)
https://www.thearamaicscriptures.com

Greek-English Interlinear
https://scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Greek_Index.htm

Maybe there is something more specific you can ask me.

Evidence has been emerging in the past several decades that the holy book of Islam al Quran is actually one big mistranslation of an original Syriac manuscript which was confirmed by the Sanaa Manuscript. The aforementioned manuscript shows evidence of editing via redactions and changes to the texts. Unless you can show similar evidence from Yaffa, who is to say that everything that you or that author Legesse Allyn (unless you and he are one and the same) is just some wild-eyed hypothesis with no basis ala Ancient Aliens??

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26316 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Codex Sinaiticus - Matthew 9

Ok, good so now please translate the verse at the upper left of the page.

But how is your human traslator going to do it?

will he use this? >>

quote:

Mechanical Translations (Old Testament and New Testament):
Scripture4All.org
https://scripture4all.org/

I suspect that if this is used it is not going to result in something entirely different from the standard translation.

You would have to be using translation methods for Koine Greek that are highly unusual, not the standard

Does translator associate of your agree that the bible is actually about farming not religion?

--or does he give you a mechanical standard translation and then you do additional things that result in that radically different meaning?

Again, if you are going to be getting a whole different meaning we are dealing with a much broader issue - the proper translation of Koine Greek , not a particular book, the bible

And then if we go to the OT it's in in an entirety different language but that langue ancient Hebrew, or if you prefer "Yaffa" that has also not been translated right either and doing so and then applying it to the old bible manuscripts also results in a farming theme?

How can these long elaborate books be all about farming?

That just sounds like an attempt to neutralize religion.

So Ethiopian Jews and Christian Coptics and peoole of Israel-Plaestine have been deceived all these years? tricked into thinking a book on farming was about religion salvation and one God?

and does this shut down The Qu'ran as well ?

Where did all this change of meaning start? The Old Testament is much older than the new.
At what point in history did someone come in and distort the meaning. Who is responsible?
And it's a book about farming.

Moses parted barley not the Sea?
Jesus was crucified for planting onions instead of lettuce?

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Also, you probably already have this
what are the real ten commandments?

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:

So it's not just creation/origin part of the Bible but the entire Bible including the New Testament is about Egyptian farming in Yaffa?! And you base this on which mistranslations??

hold on wait a minute

did you watch the videos

quote:

Jesus - "Im not coming back"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZL1tliW5pg

SesameStreet-style - "I don't want to part of no farm religion"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lexxc80aU90

Or for a more detailed, adult explanation...
The Bible, Abortion & Self-Genocide: Roman False-Religion Conspiracy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9lUu5q7Tzs [/QB]

be nice, he might be on to somethng
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
AncientGebts if there were around 300 ancient Egyptian rulers why were only around 7 female?
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
quote:
I suspect that if this is used it is not going to result in something entirely different from the standard translation.

Well the problem for them is that they are saying the Codex Sinaiticus is filled with errors...
quote:
After the scribes of the Codex Sinaiticus had been securely identified, an interesting
feature emerged - they were not equally good at spelling.

So already they have an excuse for it not matching anything they think it should. But these are excuses to make the text say whatever they want...
quote:
Of the three scribes, D was an excellent speller, A a poor speller, and B an appaUingly bad speller.
And of speller B...
quote:
Ohly's theory is exploded by the evidence of spelling - the miserable B omits letters or syllables or duplicates syllables or adds meaningless letters in a way that would be incredible if he were copying by eye
You can read the analysis yourself and all their excuses in the PDF from the British Library...
https://www.bl.uk/eblj/1977articles/pdf/article1.pdf

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
Even though the British Museum's article says "There is no separate translation of the Codex Sinaiticus" I can see a dramatic difference in spellings between the copy you sent me, Lioness, and the transliteration/transcription I see at Scripture4All.org.

By claiming spelling mistakes by the original authors, they can force their translation to fit any narrative they want.

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
quote:
Again, if you are going to be getting a whole different meaning we are dealing with a much broader issue - the proper translation of Koine Greek , not a particular book, the bible

Yes, Lioness, that is the issue -- the proper translation of Koine Greek.
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
quote:
So Ethiopian Jews and Christian Coptics and peoole of Israel-Plaestine have been deceived all these years? tricked into thinking a book on farming was about religion salvation and one God?

Yes, that's right.
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
quote:
Where did all this change of meaning start? The Old Testament is much older than the new.
At what point in history did someone come in and distort the meaning. Who is responsible?

Well, in terms of names, there are no names in the underlying text of the Bible. I can get tho this in detail later.

But, it appears to me that the Hesiod Theogony, for example...
  • Was merely an ancient Greek 2700 years ago practicing writing the famous story of the genesis of the ancient Egyptian farming in the Yafo/Dead Sea region of Lower Egypt
  • At the same time, the person was honing the ability to write Egyptian hieroglyphs in the Greek style and show proficiency in the Egyptian hieroglyphic vocabulary
  • And that person was likely not the one who mistranslated it into religion
There are many reasons I assume this. The primary reasons are...
  • The underlying text of the Hesiod Theogony matches the content and context of the underlying text of Genesis 1 through Genesis 4
  • The writer tells the same story, sometimes using different words, as if writing from memory --- not looking at the original text
  • The progression through the story is the same
For an example of the writer telling the same story in different words...
  • In the underlying text of Genesis 1, there is a crisis on the farm, because thieves have stolen so much, there is not enough to fill the order of a merchant who has arrived in his ships
  • But in the underlying text of the Hesiod Theogony, the writer gets into greater details, writing about a plot and describing the acts of the thieves in uprooting, tearing out suitable portions to carry away.
Or later...
  • In the underlying text of Genesis 2, when the ancient Egyptian military is first sent in to guard the farming region, a troop Commander is written as looking around from the ground
  • But in the underlying text of the Hesiod Theogony, it is written that a ship Admiral guards the farms from the harbor in his ship
If the Hesiod Theogony writer was looking directly at a copy of the story's text, there would not have been these alterations in the retelling of the story.

It is enough to retell a story in writing from memory. With the ability to write all that in some 1000 lines of text, the original writer could have simply written a religious story.

It doesn't make sense to write 1000 lines of text and then claim it says something else, when you have the ability to simply write a religious story. I've written and published 23 books, so I know how difficult it is to write.

That is in addition to curriculum I wrote in the 1990s that helped African American students learn about culture in cities of African countries, the Africa-In-Our-Schools National School Program. Each classroom curriculum set included a publication called Africa City View, games and activities, classroom excercies and a teacher's guide. Each African City View edition focused on the cities of a particular African country, taking a full 30 days to write and edit each one, including featuring up to 60 photos of daily life in the particular African country's cities.

But, a thief is good for stealing. A thief is too lazy to write 1000 lines of text. It is easier to simply plagiarize another writer's work.

My primary profession is as a product development consultant, specializing in the development of new products, marketing and research, so I know this all too well. I have seen firsthand the plagiarizing of my research and the the reverse-engineering of my own products.

Search my name and you will see a video of a guy in New York apologizing to me. He and his girlfriend republished the entire contents of two websites of mine into a book. I put the website up before the publishing of my first book and took it down immediately following, but he had already copied the entire two websites by that time.

So, I am like the original writer of the underlying text of the Hesiod Theogony. The guy in New York is like whatever ancient Greek mistranslated it into religion.

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
quote:
At what point in history did someone come in and distort the meaning?

Well, we know it was in ancient times, because the same ancient Greek historian, Diodorus Siculus, who wrote Ethiopians founded ancient Egypt and hieroglyphic writing is Ethiopian, by 60BC had already examined the story of the Hesiod Theogony and other similar stories, calling them myths...

quote:
I am not unaware that many difficulties beset those who undertake to give an account of the ancient myths, and especially is this true with respect to the myths about Heracles.
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Diodorus_Siculus/4B*.html

Yet, Diodorus does say it is myth what he writes about Ethiopians having founded ancient Egypt and the hieroglyphic writing...

quote:
"They say also that the Egyptians are colonists sent out by the Ethiopians, Osiris having been the leader of the colony. And the larger part of the customs of the Egyptians are, they hold, Ethiopian, the colonists still preserving their ancient manners."
Diodorus, book 3, 3:1
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Diodorus_Siculus/3A*.html

quote:
"… all men were glad to change their food, both because of the pleasing nature of the newly-discovered grains and because it seemed to their advantage to refrain from their butchery of one another."
Diodorus, book 1:14-1
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Diodorus_Siculus/1A*.html

quote:
"… the shapes of their statues and the forms of their letters are Ethiopian; for of the two kinds of writing which the Egyptians have, that which is known as "popular" (demotic) is learned by everyone, while that which is called "sacred" is understood only by the priests of the Egyptians, who learn it from their fathers as one of the things which are not divulged, but among the Ethiopians everyone uses these forms of letters… the Ethiopian writing which is called hieroglyphic among the Egyptians."
Diodorus, book 3, 3:4-5, 4:1
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Diodorus_Siculus/3A*.html

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
So, my ancient Greek research partner in Budapest, Hungary, who has a PhD in Late Antique, Medieval and Early Modern Studies, found the transcription and current translation for the page you posted, Lioness.

He just sent me the link...

http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript.aspx?dir=next&folioNo=5&lid=en&quireNo=74&side=r&zoomSlider=1

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
I utilize a number of programs to organize the data during retranslations, primarily Microsoft Notepad, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.

Additionally, to reverse the direction of Hebrew and Aramaic text, I utilize a Windows 7 computer, Microsoft Notepad and OpenOffice 4.1.1.

Below, I've used the Google Translator to do a rough translation of each word, and then Notepad, Word and Excel to put them side-by-side...

εκινηϲ = ekinis = by the way
και = kai = and
ελθω = eltho = come on
ο = o = The
ιϲ = is = i
ειϲ = eis = ih
την = tin = the
οικια = oikia = house
του = tou = of
αρχοντοϲ = archontos = lord
και = kai = and
ϊδων = ïdon = hey
τουϲ = tous = his
αυλη = avli = courtyard

Understand that at this point, I have not yet analyzed the validity of any of the words, their transliterations nor their meanings. My first goal is to organize the currently accepted data.

Let's compare the above set of words, transliterations and meanings to see how they have combined it all into a translation...

And Jesus entered the house of the ruler (and saw the pipers and the multitude making a noise, and said:)

We can allow the Google Translator to provide a rough translation, since the Google Translator is not directly connected with either the translation itself nor religion...

εκινηϲ και ελθω ο ιϲ ειϲ την οικια του αρχοντοϲ και ϊδων τουϲ αυλη

ekinis kai eltho o is eis tin oikia tou archontos kai ïdon tous avli

he and I come to his nobleman's house and his own courtyard

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
So, my ancient Greek research partner in Budapest, Hungary, who has a PhD in Late Antique, Medieval and Early Modern Studies, found the transcription and current translation for the page you posted, Lioness.

He just sent me the link...

http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript.aspx?dir=next&folioNo=5&lid=en&quireNo=74&side=r&zoomSlider=1

Legresse which particular ancient manuscript are you using that is a farming document?

You say there existed a farming document and then somebody like Hesiod changed it.

So which codex or ancient written artifact is the farming one?

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
Lioness, refresh your page to see my edits to my previous post
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
quote:
So which codex or ancient written artifact is the farming one?

Lioness, the underlying text.

To be clear, using the above Google Translator example...

• Underlying text = εκινηϲ και ελθω ο ιϲ ειϲ την οικια του αρχοντοϲ και ϊδων τουϲ αυλη
  • Transliteration = ekinis kai eltho o is eis tin oikia tou archontos kai ïdon tous avli
  • Translation = he and I come to his nobleman's house and his own courtyard

The underlying text is independent from both the transliteration and the translation. It exists on its own, not influenced by the subsequent transliteration or translation.

The underlying text stands on its own for anyone to translate. Even you.

I say underlying text because it underlies any and all subsequent transliterations and translations, both of which can be done with biases. The underlying text is the unprocessed text.

Therefore...
  • The underlying text is comparable to fresh milk squeezed from a cow's udder
  • The transliteration is comparable to the milk homogenized
  • The translation is comparable to packaged milk made available in the store for consumer consumption

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Which underlying text is the one you use that is a farming text?
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
interestingly, the ending is on the page you posted, Lioness...

and saw the pipers and the multitude making a noise, and said:

ταϲ = tas = tee
και = kai = and
τον = ton = him
οχλον = ochlon = pretty
θορυβουμενον = thoryvoumenon = we make noise

Division of words partialy fragmented:
ταϲ και τον οχλον = tas kai ton ochlon = and the fog

Division of words all together:
ταϲ και τον οχλον θορυβουμενον
tas kai ton ochlon thoryvoumenon
and the noise we get

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
quote:

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
You should immediately see problems with their translation.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

You are showing me some text

what codex or written artifact does it come from?

Where is the farming document that was later changed?

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
From the page you posted.
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
From the page you posted.

Where is the farming document that was later changed?

If what I posted "Codex Sinaiticus is filled with errors"

then what codex or other ancient written record is the one that is the farming document ?

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
Aside from the obvious mistranslations in their version, I can see a common word in my Hesiod Theogony and Bible retranslations. Here in the Codex Sinaiticus...

αρχοντοϲ
archontos
ruler

aleqa (አለቃ) boss, supervisor, chief (n.) (Amarigna)
haleqa (ሓለቓ) superior, chief, boss (n.) (Tigrigna)

ἀρχ (ἀρχώμεθ), in the underlying text of the Hesiod Theogony. ἀρχώμεθ is two separate words, dividing as follows
  • ἀρχώ = አለቃ = aleqa = chief
  • μεθ = ሜዳ = mae'da = field (farm)

To process αρχοντοϲ from the Codex Sinaiticus, we first separate the component words...
  • αρχο = አለቃ = aleqa = chief
  • ντο = ሜዳ = mae'da = field (farm)
  • ϲ = እዚኣ = izea = this

Same word אלוה in the underlying text throughout the Bible...
הארץ אלוה ברא (Genesis 1:1)
  • ברא = frae = production
  • אלוה = አለቃ = aleqa = chief
  • את = እታ = ita = that
  • הארץ = እርሻ = irsha = farm

The same word in the underlying text of the so-called New Testament is ܐܠܗܐ (አለቃ/aleqa/chief) in the Aramaic Peshitta.

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
quote:

I didn't say it was filled with errors. That is a quote from the British Museum. They are only claiming errors, because that's the only way they can justify it saying what they allege.

I say the translation of it is a mistranslation -- filled with mistranslations of words.

I'm happy to retranslate from the text as it is written. And I'm happy to assume the original writer did not make errors.

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
So we have the farm chief already. [Big Grin]
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
Also, we have to locations...

οικια = oikia = house
αυλη = avli = courtyard

First, αυλη...

(αυ)λη = riq = granary (grain storage facility)

The same word is רק in the underlying text of the Bible
רק-יע = ሪቕ = riq = granary (grain storage facility)

The same word is ριξε in the underlying text of the Hesiod Theogony...
ριξε = ሪቕ = riq = granary (grain storage facility)

The Google Translator shows ριξε as...
ριξε = rixe = shed
https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=el&tl=en&text=%CF%81%CE%B9%CE%BE%CE%B5

In Spanish, The Greek word ριξε translated into Spanish has meanings that include shed and barn
https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=es&tl=en&text=cobertizo

This is crazy.

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
So not only do we have the farm and the production chief, but the granary, too. [Big Grin]
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
οικια = oikia = house

Here's where the vowels come in. They are often necessary to help match words that may only be different in the vowel pronunciation.

The word οικια is not the place, because it is already established that the place is the farm granary. So, οικια is what occurs between merchants and the farmers...

weg'i (ወግዒ) chat, conversation, discussion (negotiation) (v.) (Tigrigna)

We can see the Greek written οι as W here...
οικια = ወግዒ = weg'i = discussion

Basically, ወግዒ with the t- verb prefix, the word is תוך in the underlying text of Genesis 2:9...

tewageye (ተዋገየ) transact (v.) (Tigrigna)

תוך = ተዋገየ = tewageye = transact

To back that up, you can search the word תוך in the underlying text of the Bible at the Morfix Hebrew Online Translator...
  • תּוֹךְ = inside, interior; basis, main idea, central theme
  • תָּוֶךְ = center, middle; (physics) medium; (art) solvent; בתווך - in between, in the middle
  • תִּוֵּךְ = to mediate, to negotiate; (business, trade) to act as middleman
https://www.morfix.co.il/%D7%AA%D7%95%D7%9A
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
That means, in a single sentence that you chose yourself, Lioness, we have...
  • The farm
  • The production chief
  • The granary
  • Transaction negotiation
If I had chosen this sentence, you would have said I purposely selected one that would fit my theory.
AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
The word ελθω is a little confusing, but in Tigrigna the meaning is cleared up.

I will say this word is basically correct, because even with mistranslations, both intentional and innocent ones, they leave many words with their correct translations...

ελθω = eltho = come on, enter

The Tigrigna word, werede...

werede (ወረደ) occur, dismount, descend (v.) (Tigrigna)

So...

ελθω = ወረደ = werede = occur

I would say dismount if I saw a vehicle or horse. As I continue the retranslation, I might see something more to help clarify.

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
The first word, εκινη ϲ, indicates when the event is occuring. First divide the word into it's components..

εκινη ϲ

εκινη = ekini = at the same time = አሁን = ahun = now
ϲ = እዚኣ = izea = this

So then, the word is now...

ahun (አሁን) now (Amarigna)

In the underlying text of the Bible, I have seen עתה/hje/ሕጂ/"right now,"in the underlying text of Genesis 3:22 for example to indicate when something is happening.

Both words indicate that the event was being recorded in real-time...

hji (ሕጂ) right away, right now, now (adv.) (Tigrigna)

The word ሕጂ at Morfix,
עַתָּה = now, currently...
https://www.morfix.co.il/%D7%A2%D7%AA%D7%94

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
quote:

I didn't say it was filled with errors. That is a quote from the British Museum. They are only claiming errors, because that's the only way they can justify it saying what they allege.

I say the translation of it is a mistranslation -- filled with mistranslations of words.

I'm happy to retranslate from the text as it is written. And I'm happy to assume the original writer did not make errors.

Can you first just translate several complete verses of this Codex Sinaiticus, Matthew verse in English ?

First please show several of the same verses from Matthew that are on the upper left of the page I posted (i'm not going to say which verses are shown, I know however)
but first please show them in the New Standard
American version

https://www.biblestudytools.com/nas/

^^ just copy and paste these standard versions
from the NASB

then please show your translation into English
of the same numbered verses so I can compare meaning of the whole sentences

Let us see this first please before you get to all this break down of individual words and the Greek

Please do that after if you want

But I first want to see several verses form a standard bible discussion religious things

and then see your non-religious version of those same verses

- before we get into you trying to prove it linguistically in detail, thanks

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
Wow, one of my favorite Tigrigna words!

thoryvo = noise
https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=el&tl=en&text=thoryvo

One of my Eritrean friends here in Los Angeles only speaks Tigrigna. When she wants to come over and talk to me, or wants me to go over to her place to talk, she calls me on the phone and says, "Legesse, zereba." [Big Grin]

zereba (ዘረባ) talk, speech (n.) (Tigrigna)

It makes me so happy to see this word. [Smile]

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
So many words we are discussing, and that are written in hieroglyphs, are being spoken in this video... [Smile]

Just the words being spoken that we are discussing right now, include...

hji
zereba
izea
and more...

This is what the hieroglyphic language sounds like when it is spoken! [Big Grin]

ኣቮካዶ ጸጉሪ Treatment Be Tigrigna zeraba (Eritrean tigrigna talk over)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk0JfyphlZM

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
The one we are doing now is the underlying text of Matthew 9:23...

Your New American Standard version is:
quote:

When Jesus came into the official's house, and saw the flute-players and the crowd in noisy disorder,
https://www.biblestudytools.com/nas/matthew/9.html

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
It doesn't make sense. You have this radical idea that the bible is about farming

and instead of showing a number of verses of the standard translation and then for comparison the same in your re-translations you expect people to start looking at individual words.

It like if some president made a speech in a language you didn't know and you asked somebody
what they said and the person started talking about individual words he used

It seems like you're hiding something

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
εκινηϲ και ελθω ο ιϲ ειϲ την οικια του αρχοντοϲ και ϊδων τουϲ αυλη ταϲ και τον οχλον θορυβουμενον

την = ደኅና = dehana = good

ϊδων = ዕዱም = A'dim = guest

τον = ጥዑም = T'U'm = delicious

οχλον = አክርማ = akerma = Eleusine Floccifolia (goosegrass grain)

Translation
"Now and occurring ο it is ειϲ good negotiation farm chief and guest τουϲ granary ταϲ and delicious grain discussion υμενον"

Those are the words in the sentence, so far. So, that's the translation... at least something like that.

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
^^ and this corresponds to what number verse in Matthew?

-

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
 -

There are two pages to what is supposedly Matthew 9:23...

Beginning on bottom-right corner
http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript.aspx?dir=prev&folioNo=5&lid=en&quireNo=74&side=v&zoomSlider=7

Ending on top-left corner of the next page
http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/manuscript.aspx?dir=next&folioNo=5&lid=en&quireNo=74&side=r&zoomSlider=7

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
yes you have the right verse.

You are also showing referring to Henry Tompkins Anderson's translation of the Sinaiticus of 1866.

Codex Sinaiticus: The H. T. Anderson New Testament (from the original Greek)

Matthew 9:23 And Jesus entered the house of the ruler and saw the pipers and the multitude making a noise, and said:

24 Withdraw, for the maid is not dead, but sleeps. And they derided him.

25 But when the multitude had been put out, he went in and took her hand, and the maid arose.

26 And the fame of this went forth into that whole land.

27 And as Jesus was passing by thence, two blind men followed him, crying out and saying: Have mercy on us, Son of David.

28 And after he had come into the house, the blind men came to him; and Jesus said to them: Believe you that I am able to do this? They said to him: Yes, Lord.

29 Then he touched their eyes, saying: According to your faith be it done to you.

30 And their eyes were opened. And Jesus charged them in a threatening manner, saying: See that no one know it.

31 But they went out and published him abroad in all that land.

32 But as they were going out, behold, they brought to him a man dumb possessed with a demon.

33 And after the demon had been cast out, the dumb man spoke. And the multitudes were astonished, saying: Never did it appear thus in Israel.

Let's also compare it to the New American Standard>

Matthew 9:23-33 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
23 When Jesus came into the [a]official’s house, and saw the flute-players and the crowd in noisy disorder,

24 He said, “Leave; for the girl has not died, but is asleep.” And they began laughing at Him.

25 But when the crowd had been sent out, He entered and took her by the hand, and the girl [b]got up.

26 This news spread throughout all that land.

27 As Jesus went on from there, two blind men followed Him, crying out, “Have mercy on us, Son of David!”

28 When He entered the house, the blind men came up to Him, and Jesus *said to them, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?” They *said to Him, “Yes, Lord.”

29 Then He touched their eyes, saying, “[c]It shall be done to you according to your faith.”

30 And their eyes were opened. And Jesus sternly warned them: “See that no one knows about this!”

31 But they went out and spread the news about Him throughout all that land.

32 As they were going out, a mute, demon-possessed man [d]was brought to Him.

33 After the demon was cast out, the mute man spoke; and the crowds were amazed, and were saying, “Nothing like this has [e]ever been seen in Israel.”

So please give your translation of a few or all of the above verses please just the continuous translation in English in the same numbered format above
before we deal any added explanation of changes you may have made and why you made them

I first want to get the narrative meaning of your translation before the linguistic analysis methods and various details about words and so on, thanks

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
Can we first deal with what we've done?

It is farming, not religion. Can we agree on that?

It does not say...
"When Jesus came into the official’s house, and saw the flute-players and the crowd in noisy disorder"

It says...
"Now and occurring [the] good [trade] negotiation [between the] farm chief and [the] guest [at the] granary[. The] delicious grain [is what the] discussion [is about.]"

Do we agree that it is discussing farming?

AncientGebts
On Vacation
Member # 17037

Rate Member
And furthermore, it does not say "Jesus," not even in the Codex Sinaiticus text.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com