EgyptSearch Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » ADMINS please consider

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ADMINS please consider
Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Making it impossible to alter one's posts after a short limited time period.

Otherwise I feel discussion and debate will be seriously compromised by cheats and liars.

ES used to automatically mark a post as UPDATED when altered after a measure of time had passed since originally submitted. Please consider turning that function on again to circumvent abuse if not completely disallowing editing after say an hour after a post's timestamp.

I mean what's the use if somebody can go back and act like they knew from the start about something they had no idea of? Especially when they asked a question they didn't have the correct factual answer to?

If I am way off balance please tell me so.

I appreciate feedback on this from any and all forum members. Maybe I am missing that which everybody else already gets or maybe I need an attitude adjustment.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ADMINS

In my opinion for the sake of all the people reading Egyptsearch threads, in my opinion the top priority is that in those threads the most accurate information possible presented instead of spreading intentional or unintentional disinformation that others might be mislead by and
post elsewhere

instead of giving priority to people who think threads should be competitive debate transcripts between people who don't even present their real names
as if this is a court record or some sort of competitive game where some poster's made up name and perception of a reputation is more important than the quality of information

quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:

Why accept C on an exam
when after learning the right answers
to questions I got wrong
I can resubmit the test
with all the correct answers
and I should get an A
as if I originally knew
what in fact I knew not.

That's worse than cheating.
It's the epitome of lying.
At the very least it's plagiarism.

Who else does this other than you?
Who else goes and blanks out their whole post a day or two later to hide what was in it other than you? [/QB]

As we can see Tukuler thinks he is a professor giving people exams

You will also notice his posts are often very cryptic and coded. People often don't know what he's talking about.
That's purposeful. It's an elitist snobby attitude with intent only people "In the know" or part of the cool kids club can catch the lingo, winks and obscure spellings for terms, demands for linguistic prerequisites, etc

My style is to have the maximum number of readers understand the information I'm trying to present and clarify less commonly used references
because I am trying to reach people of any level trying to learn from Egyptsearch without having to pass some test I think they should be able to pass
and not "cheat" on and it's absurd for someone who doesn't even use their real name to accuse someone else of plagiarism.
You are not that serious if you can't use your real name to back what you say. I know this and accept it and can't claim it

In my opinion Egyptserach posts should have the most accurate information possible if somebody is trying to present something as a fact because many other people read these threads and they can be mislead and spread disinformation if an error is not corrected

So it's useful that at any time , say a month later you could go back into an old post from 5 years ago
and replace dead photo links, correct information one had since discovered is incorrect or has been updated by new findings or improve one's own prose.
In other words, having the ability to improve something.
Others are more interested in competition, keeping score, personas, pettiness and attempts of pubic humiliation

Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont look now but Somebody wears Freudian slips.

First name: the
Last name: lioness

Nah, nothing anonymous about that.

Strikes testimony from the record
Seals and expunges posts

Hmm, don't courts do that?

That member is bitching about her own MO!

Self-damning, no?

=-=

Now who is it whom copyrights his posts with his initials and ethnonym, displays his face, and is too outspoken and contradicting to be a part of anything like a clique?

But of course the astute know that already.

=-=

Big fail trying to devolve post integrity to an ad hominen.

I continue to push for posts to be permanent after a measure of time else enable the forum's automatic EDIT notice.
It worked like this
quote:

[This message has been edited by Username (edited 23 July 2004).]

Only those bent on fudgery can see anything objectionable about either option.

Whoops better tack this on before it 'changes' again
quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
ADMINS

In my opinion for the sake of all the people reading Egyptsearch threads, in my opinion the top priority is that in those threads the most accurate information possible presented instead of spreading intentional or unintentional disinformation that others might be mislead by and
post elsewhere

instead of giving priority to people who think threads should be competitive debate transcripts between people who don't even present their real names
as if this is a court record or some sort of competitive game where some poster's made up name and perception of a reputation is more important than the quality of information

quote:

Why accept C on an exam
to questions I got wrong
I can resubmit the test
with all the correct answers
and I should get an A
as if I originally knew
what in fact I knew not.

That's worse than cheating.

Who else does this other than you?
Who else goes and blanks out their whole post a day or two later to hide what was in it other than you?

As we can see Tukuler thinks he is a professor giving people exams

You will also notice his posts are often very cryptic and coded. People often don't know what he's talking about.
That's purposeful. It's an elitist snobby attitude with intent only people "In the know" or part of the cool kids club can catch the lingo, winks and obscure spellings for terms, demands for linguistic prerequisites, etc

My style is to have the maximum number of readers understand the information I'm trying to present and clarify less commonly used references
because I am trying to reach people of any level trying to learn from Egyptsearch without having to pass some test I think they should be able to pass
and not "cheat" on and it's absurd for someone who doesn't even use their real name to accuse someone else of plagiarism.
You are not that serious if you can't use your real name to back what you say. I know this and accept it and can't claim it

In my opinion Egyptserach posts should have the most accurate information possible if somebody is trying to present something as a fact because many other people read these threads and they can be mislead and spread disinformation if an error is not corrected

So it's useful that at any time , say a month later you could go back into an old post from 5 years ago
and replace dead photo links, correct information one had since discovered is incorrect or has been updated by new findings or improve one's own prose.
In other words, having the ability to improve something.
Others are more interested in competition, keeping score, personas, pettiness and attempts of pubic humiliation [/QB]

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look into this.
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
why this sort of policy complaint is not communicated in pms makes evident the untrustworthy back stabbing sadism and lack of protocol
Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I petition return of a site function useful to help prevent fudgery

this other one continues to bash her fellow very helpful ES member contributing factual corrective info to her thread
quote:
why this sort of policy complaint is not communicated in pms makes evident the untrustworthy back stabbing sadism and lack of protocol

Sadism? How theatric! Are we in an ancient Greece court?

It's plain to sees who's brandishing a knife and lacks principles.

Without the mod power to do it herself, she goes so far as to try and recruit accomplices into altering a post's original content while not bothering to credit her precision's source.

-

quote:
@Djehuti

please switch pictures in your post quoting my pic from the OP
I have updated the caption leaving out "war".
That was a Flicker title but I'm not sure the source. It seems to be inaccurate, that these are not life enemies but afterlife mythological foes

ADMIN's promise to handle things doesn't satisfy her hate. She adds yet another ad hominem post to this thread, never once addressesing the merits of re-enabling the EDIT NOTICE as to what harm it could possibly do.?

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by
[QB] While I petition return of a useful site function to help prevent fudgery

this other one bashes her fellow very helpful ES member contributing factual info to her thread

quote:
Originally posted by Tukuler:,:

this is the hypocrite who started the personal attacks

If you look at the thread this is from:

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=010710
quote:
thanks, from the above, this seems to cover it:

^^ this is part, early in the the thread where I am thanking this competitive back stabbing man-child for his info, yet false accusations plagiarism and lying
Show us something you wrote that was plagiarized
He thinks if he quotes another writer he wrote it.
And who? Someone who doesn't even use their real name with an imaginary fan base!

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One hateful little name calling ...itch aren't you now

Still no reason why the EDIT stamp funnction should not be re-enabled though

Tell ya what, rage on mouth foaming madman. I'll calmly wait for ADMIN's outcome.

Tata, love you, hugs and kisses!
(probably to be reciprocated with more boa constrictions and viper hisses)

--------------------

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
quote:

Why accept C on an exam
to questions I got wrong
I can resubmit the test

this is his motivation,
he thinks people need to pass his exams and have it on public display to stroke his ego

My motive is that if I says something I want it to be correct so if I make an error I go back an correct it
so readers who don't care about anonymous forum personalities and are looking for accurate information are not confused about what is accurate and what is not accurate
And if you look at the actual thread this stems out of, I talk about the corrections in the thread, it's not like some secret

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=010710;p=1#000014

Ibis
Member # 23674

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ibis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that showing whether or not a post was updated(with a time stamp on when it was last updated). Should be a thing.
Posts: 78 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2022  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
somebody could add that themselves "edited + date"
but it may not be able to be done automatically on post changed, say days later (I think that would have to be tied to a time limit)

That was how it was a few years ago. It means you can't do something like on an informative thread that was made over 20 minutes before, could be yesterday or 5 years ago, you would not be able to fix dead photo links, mistakes or updated info.
So the quality of the thread goes down especially if this stuff was in the OP or page 1
I sees lot of good old threads like this, got a lot of picture links no longer working.
Sometime I go back an put the pictures back

Tukuler
Member # 19944

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While waiting for ADMIN's decision here's info on the EDIT function from the official ES FAQ page @ http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=faq#edit
quote:

Can I edit my own posts?

You may edit or delete your own posts at any time. Look for the edit icon on the post to be edited. No one else can edit your post, except for the forum moderator(s) or the message board administrators. If a forum leader edits your post, a note is generated at the bottom of each post that is edited so that every one knows when a post has been edited. The forum administrators may choose to cause a similar note to be added to your post if you edit it Note that if your post was the start of a new topic, deleting your post will result in the removal of the entire topic (all replies after your topic will also be deleted). Please note that your board administrators may disable the ability of members to edit or delete posts. Only registered members can edit or delete their posts.

[Return]

. http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=012276;p=1

=-=-=-=

Nothing draconian at all. With EDIT stamp enabled rescinded images can be restored. One can also reword for clarity, reformat, fix typos, etc., and the date it was done can be seen by all. But, no, it can't tell you if a whole post was deleted then replaced by something entirely different.

The important thing is the poster cannot hide the fact they edited their post nor choose to neglect informing the readership they in fact altered their original post some time after it was made.

Many forums have and use an EDIT function for obvious reasons. Yes it is regretful the actions of one member necessitates activating the function but only one member is constantly altering posts without notice even so far as blanking out entire posts on a regular basis.

--------------------

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could any Admins at least delete spam threads that have nothing to do with the forum?? Can y'all do that at least?

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26236 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com