EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Some YouTube channels dedicated to Ancient Egypt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some YouTube channels dedicated to Ancient Egypt
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several YouTube channels are dedicated to Ancient Egypt. Some of them also often discuss the question of the race or skin color of the ancient peoples. Some also discuss other topics.

Here are a few, whereof some have specifically adressed issues of race and identity.

There are of course more YouTube content about Ancient Egypt, including many lectures and videos made by scholars in the field.

But let us begin with the dedicated glad amateurs

Kemet Queen (Nora)
Noras channel. Includes videos about Ancient Egypt, but also other aspects on Egypt. She also discusses Netflix Cleopatra in a couple of video.
Kemet Queen
--
Egyptologist7
Channel dedicated to Ancient Egypt. The Channel is very critical to Afrocentric interpretations of Egyptian history. It often discusses the race of Ancient Egyptians.
Egyptologist7
--
Sekhmet
Discuses Ancient Egypt, Afrocentrism and racial issues
Sekhmet
--
The Pharaoh Nerd
Dedicated to ancient Egypt
The Pharaoh Nerd
--
Chief X
Often discusses ancient Egypt. Critical to Afrocentric interpretations of Egypts history
Chief X
--
ShezmuOperative
Dedicated to Ancient Egypt and racial issues. Seems to have a negative obsession with Kemet Queen
ShezmuOperative
--
Kings Monologue
Dedicated to Ancient Egypt. Often discuss the race of ancient Egyptians
Kings Monologue
--
Mr Imhotep
Discusses ancient Egypt, racial issues and African cultures
Mr Imhotep
-

Have you come across any of these channels and their content? What was your opinion?

Are there other channels which are interesting to mention? Which do you recommend?

--------------------
Once an archaeologist, always an archaeologist

Posts: 2683 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Yeah, the thing about independent content creators is you have to sift factual information from personal opinions or biases. But yeah other than that, these are good channels.

Don't forget Kara Cooney- Egyptologist and Vintage Egyptologist

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firewall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is another one.

KueliMika

KueliMika

Posts: 2560 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
avoid the channels that are focused on race and identity
Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, most of those channels listed in the OP look like cringe-fests to me, especially the ones dealing with the race topic. And I am speaking about the ones on both sides of the aisle here.

There is one channel I follow on YouTube that I would recommend, though:

HomeTeam History

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ That's why I only watch their stuff on ancient Egyptian history and culture NOT "race". To be honest a lot of those folks do not have a proper grasp on physical anthropology let alone genetics so can easily fall prey to deception on the issue.

--------------------
Mahirap gisingin ang nagtutulog-tulugan.

Posts: 26238 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Archeopteryx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are a couple of channels with a more scholarly approach

ARCENational
The American Research Center in Egypt
ARCENational
-
Harvard Museum of the Ancient Near East
Harvard Museum of the Ancient Near East
--
Located on the campus of the University of Chicago, ISAC is a research organization and museum devoted to the study of the ancient Middle East.

The Institute for the Study of Ancient Cultures
The Institute for the Study of Ancient Cultures

--------------------

Posts: 2683 | From: Sweden | Registered: Mar 2020  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archeopteryx
Member # 23193

Rate Member
Dr Briana Jackson is PhD in Egyptian art and archaeology. She has her own channel on YouTube with videos about Ancient Egyptian culture

Dr Briana Jacksons Channel on Youtube
Dr. Briana Jackson

--------------------

Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Firewall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is video from a youtuber i watch of andon for awhile now called kushroyalty2.0.
He is east african(south sudanese american)and he talks about african history(more so the sudans,egypt,north africa and east africa) and dna etc.

https://www.youtube.com/@kushroyalty/videos

Here is one topic.

Ancient Egyptian DNA | How Much Do Modern Egyptians Have?

I posted a video and some comments below.

Topic: What types of modern Egyptians do you think best resemble the ancients?

Posts: 2560 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Firewall
Member # 20331

Member Rated:
Grassy Sea
world history and tech enthusiast
https://www.youtube.com/@grassysea2802

beyoku
Member # 14524

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for beyoku     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
3 Additional channels.

E pluribus unum

We are all one none is more important than the other.
These are short videos showing the subsaharan/black presence in North Africa and above. These videos are not to support the afrocentric beliefs that may portray black people as founders of major civilizations, but to show that there was a substantial black/subsaharan presence there ALONG WITH OTHERS who are not labeled black or subsaharan.

What you will see is a collection of scientific articles that reinforces major points. Check out more facts on Quora link https://qr.ae/pGAP1T

https://www.youtube.com/@EPUEPUEPUEPU

Afrocentrism Critiqued

Greetings, and welcome! This channel was created because there is a lot of misinformation being spread around the platform whenever it comes to the topics of African history, culture, genetics, linguistics, anthropology and other related fields. Therefore, these visual presentations will serve to educate others about the many diverse peoples that inhabit Africa, as well as diving deep into their respective genomic and cultural heritages. We will also be directly challenging the numerous biased narratives that revolve around these issues. I will to the best of my ability remain objective, and all citations and other relevant data will always be linked as a starting point so others can do their own research!

I'm looking forward to engaging in open and fair dialogue with all those who genuinely desire to learn more and expand their views. _I do not tolerate spam posters whatsoever (Gish gallop fallacy), let's organize our points clearly and discuss one thing at a time, thanks_

https://www.youtube.com/@afrocentrismcritiqued

Speed 里兹
https://www.youtube.com/@_F1lthyXMj

Posts: 2463 | From: New Jersey USA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by beyoku:
Afrocentrism Critiqued

Greetings, and welcome! This channel was created because there is a lot of misinformation being spread around the platform whenever it comes to the topics of African history, culture, genetics, linguistics, anthropology and other related fields. Therefore, these visual presentations will serve to educate others about the many diverse peoples that inhabit Africa, as well as diving deep into their respective genomic and cultural heritages. We will also be directly challenging the numerous biased narratives that revolve around these issues. I will to the best of my ability remain objective, and all citations and other relevant data will always be linked as a starting point so others can do their own research!

I'm looking forward to engaging in open and fair dialogue with all those who genuinely desire to learn more and expand their views. _I do not tolerate spam posters whatsoever (Gish gallop fallacy), let's organize our points clearly and discuss one thing at a time, thanks[/qb]

That loser just started trolling me on YouTube this morning.
 -
I was able to block them, thankfully. Dude really comes across as the Candace Owens of African anthropology.

UPDATE: Caught the guy bitching about me elsewhere on YouTube (the blocking system only prevents them from posting on your videos), and I decided to give him one and only one piece of my mind.
 -

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

And he complained about me again on another video's comments panel. Dude really wants to soil my reputation because I wouldn't put up with his simping for Eurocentrics.
 -

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

BrandonP
Member # 3735

Sorry, that guy has been a pest to me all day. I've already reported his posts to the YouTube admins, but I don't have much confidence that they will do anything about it.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ That's why you have to be careful about who you contact on social media. They may seem cool at first but you never know. Neuroses/psychoses is rampant in social media. Remember Carlos Coke?? LMAO [Big Grin]
BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
Originally posted by Djehuti:
^ That's why you have to be careful about who you contact on social media. They may seem cool at first but you never know. Neuroses/psychoses is rampant in social media. Remember Carlos Coke?? LMAO [Big Grin]

Man, is that true.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BrandonP:
quote:
Originally posted by beyoku:
Afrocentrism Critiqued

I'm looking forward to engaging in open and fair dialogue with all those who genuinely desire to learn more and expand their views. _I do not tolerate spam posters whatsoever (Gish gallop fallacy), let's organize our points clearly and discuss one thing at a time, thanks

-
I was able to block them, thankfully. Dude really comes across as the Candace Owens of African anthropology.

UPDATE: Caught the guy bitching about me elsewhere on YouTube (the blocking system only prevents them from posting on your videos), and I decided to give him one and only one piece of my mind.
 - [/QB]

What a weirdo. And is he arguing Mansa Musa was North African?
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

^ He’s talking about Massinissa, a different person. But yeah, he needs to get over my blocking him and move on.

TBH, it was actually his calling my depiction of ancient Sabaeans "racist" that got under my skin. Does the dude really think it's racist to portray people from ancient southern Arabia as having dark skin as well as visible ancestry from across the Red Sea?

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
 -

https://www.inprnt.com/gallery/brandonpilcher/masinissa-of-numidia/metal/

^your art

quote:
^ He’s talking about Massinissa, a different person. But yeah, he needs to get over my blocking him and move on.

If he's talking about Massinissa and your art is a picture of Massinissa why would he be talking about a different person?
Posts: 42918 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BrandonP
Member # 3735

^ I thought Askia had confused him for Mansa Musa due to a perceivable name similarity.

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
ok, I missed that part

what's the link to the second picture?
Is there any context to them saying "racist"
or did they just look at the picture and say "racist" ?

BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
ok, I missed that part

https://youtube.com/shorts/3LOW8Jmm0g0?feature=shared

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

BrandonP
Member # 3735

quote:
Originally posted by the lioness,:
ok, I missed that part

https://youtube.com/shorts/3LOW8Jmm0g0?feature=shared

--------------------

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
quote:

He’s talking about Massinissa, a different person. But yeah, he needs to get over my blocking him and move on.

The guy sounds like Antalas in that claiming that Massinissa would be like Rif Berbers and therefore light-skin. But the problem is since when are all Rif light-skinned??

-

Rif war prisoners
 -

etc.

etc.

You can check out Rif Archives.

quote:
TBH, it was actually his calling my depiction of ancient Sabaeans "racist" that got under my skin. Does the dude really think it's racist to portray people from ancient southern Arabia as having dark skin as well as visible ancestry from across the Red Sea?
LOL So even indigenous people of southern Arabia are not black either?! Are you sure he's not Antalas?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com