EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Deshret » Was Alek Wek the standard of beauty in Ancient africa? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Was Alek Wek the standard of beauty in Ancient africa?
Nyasha
Member # 19234

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nyasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
back then was someone who looked like alek wek the standard of beauty? would she be considered beautiful back then?
Posts: 42 | From: Philidelphia | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

This is a stupid question.

Every man defines for himself what woman is beautiful to him. As a result, a woman I might find beautiful, may not meet the standard of someone else.

--------------------
C. A. Winters

Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sundjata
Member # 13096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sundjata     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you write as if Africa comprises one big united culture whose people share the same ideals and beauty standards? There are thousands of different cultures in Africa, all potentially expressing different beauty standards (and as Clyde points out, this is more the domain of individual preference anyhow).

If you were to use ancient Meore as a case study for example, then the answer would be an emphatic no! The ancient Sudanese, as a societal preference (can't speak for certain individuals) liked fat women.

Posts: 4021 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adira and Marra
Member # 15917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adira and Marra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^True
Posts: 525 | From: Terra | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nyasha
Member # 19234

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nyasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sundjata could you show me where it says that the ancient sudanese liked fat women?
Posts: 42 | From: Philidelphia | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nyasha
Member # 19234

Rate Member
quote:
Yes.

Every man defines for himself what woman is beautiful to him. As a result, a woman I might find beautiful, may not meet the standard of someone else

Its really disrespectful to say my question is stupid. i'm just trying to learn about african history cause they dont teach this stuff in school. and when I look on tv all the pretty black girls look mixed. i just want to know if there was a time when the standard of beauty was more like alek wek
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
would she be considered beautiful back then?
[Roll Eyes] you mean like how she is considered beautiful now (True, beauty is in the eye of the beholder/subjective...but also True someone with big money finds her beautiful as so do many others- she is a top paid model and note you are not...)  -

quote:
Its really disrespectful to ...
 - And it's disrespectful to come here ah try tek people fe eediat...mi done pree how you move sideways like crab...

meh...  -

-

Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clyde Winters   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nyasha:
Sundjata could you show me where it says that the ancient sudanese liked fat women?

-
Posts: 13012 | From: Chicago | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clyde Winters
Member # 10129

Rate Member
quote:
quote:
Yes.

Every man defines for himself what woman is beautiful to him. As a result, a woman I might find beautiful, may not meet the standard of someone else

Its really disrespectful to say my question is stupid. i'm just trying to learn about african history cause they dont teach this stuff in school. and when I look on tv all the pretty black girls look mixed. i just want to know if there was a time when the standard of beauty was more like alek wek
Here are some Black Actresses.

-

If you believe only the mixed ones are preety that is your bias.

Nyasha
Member # 19234

Rate Member
i never said the mix ones are the only ones that are pretty. just that hollywood only shows the mixed looking pretty actresses over the ones who are just black
Nyasha
Member # 19234

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:
quote:
quote:
Yes.

Here are some Black Actresses.

-

If you believe only the mixed ones are preety that is your bias.

some of them in that photo are mixed or look it. like you have halle berry in there. that's what i was talking bout everything always thinks the mixed looking ones are prettier than the black ones
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nyasha,
This is a tame and naive post. I must take it that you have not lived in Africa. True?

Perhaps the only sense one can make of your question is to ask you to google up Akhenaten's daughters from the the Amarna period or even the authentic Nefertiti.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nyasha
Member # 19234

Rate Member
lamin, the photos are just going to be drawings which dont look all that clear or accurate to me
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
Posts: 42934 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lamin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nyasha,
Do it yourself. Just google "images" "Amarna Princess". Not a drawing but an actual sculpture.

Posts: 5492 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adira and Marra
Member # 15917

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adira and Marra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's butters is all I have to say. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 525 | From: Terra | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Explorador
Member # 14778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Explorador   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently Ms. Wek makes an economically viable image brand in the modeling industry, which is why she is a successful model in the 'west'. A while back at work, I couldn't help but notice that it was mainly the black female workers who were puzzled by how she ever made it into modeling.

quote:
Originally posted by Clyde Winters:

quote:

-
Not that it is impossible, but you've got to come up with more than just one or two instances of a female head figure on a wall mural in order to make a sweeping comment about women on the big side being the standard of beauty in the broader Meroitic society. It's not like the ruling lady would have been a runway model.
Posts: 7516 | From: Somewhere on Earth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Nyasha,
This is an example of what I asked you to google. Note that the lighting has brightened the sculpture up a bit.

Since you are asking about "Ancient Africa" this princess would fit the bill. Though let me say that even today what is considered "standard" beauty in Africa is hardly ever talked about--except maybe in Westernised quarters. People just make their own individual choices.

-

Adira and Marra
Member # 15917

Rate Member
Icon 11 posted      Profile for Adira and Marra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 - [Cool]

- [Roll Eyes]

-  -
please spare me the bull.

lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
But back to your comparative question. How would a South Sudanese[you gotta say that now] like Wek--whose claim to fame is that she is very tall and a catwalk model--be seen in Ancient Africa using Egypt as a standard given its huge collection of realistic sculptures of faces and bodies?

Given the Amarna Princess below--now in true colour--I would say not that much different. Wek has a round face and the princess like many African women has an oval face.

-

Adira and Marra
Member # 15917

Rate Member
Some people need to spend some more time fighting for the rights of black man, as in. [Roll Eyes]
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lamin:
Nyasha,
This is an example of what I asked you to google. Note that the lighting has brightened the sculpture up a bit.

Since you are asking about "Ancient Africa" this princess would fit the bill. Though let me say that even today what is considered "standard" beauty in Africa is hardly ever talked about--except maybe in Westernised quarters. People just make their own individual choices.

-

um...Lamin.....respectfully,

You are Continental African, no?

Why this focus on just ancient Kemet for a standard of beauty? As you know, is not the only place in Africa....much less ancient Africa, much less the only place in Africa ancient or modern with a standard of beauty and beautiful women.

why do many go straight for Kemet like is some automatic knee jerk reaction?

and lastly, unu really entertaining this likkle pissintail gyal?  - She have me fooled at first too...but then mi sight har as well as I did the last one wha did come een ya......you know, the 'white' boy who wanted to be a n*gga but didn't want to be a n*gga [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3446 | From: U.S. by way of JA by way of Africa | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adira and Marra
Member # 15917

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by TruthAndRights:
[QUOTE]

why do many go straight for Kemet like is some automatic knee jerk reaction?

"Atlantis" Obviously.
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
T and R,

As I said: "because of the large amounts of face and body sculptures found in Egypt" that would be the best place to look for Ancient African aesthetic and realistic images.

As you know, with the possible exception of IFE, human representation in pre-modern Africa has mainly been abstract and symbolic.

If I am wrong, over to you.

lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
And again the whole site--in principle--revolves around the issue of race and Ancient Egypt. Hence the name ES.com
Adira and Marra
Member # 15917

Rate Member
 -

Indeed.

argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason why I come here is that this forum is fascinating from the view of psychiatry. It is astonishing to see the mental illness and/or stupidity from the people who spend all of their waking hours posting on this site.

Where do you people get all of the time for this?

Don't you have other things to think about or do?

How old are you?

How much television, radio, music, movies, etc do you consume and what is the frequency that you consume them?

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Perahu
On Vacation
Member # 18548

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Perahu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ethiopians have derogatory words for people who look like Alek Wek. So no, it was not the standard of beauty in all of Africa.
Posts: 695 | From: وكان المصريون القدماء القوقازين | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle104
Member # 14634

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for argyle104     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perahu wrote:
---------------------------
---------------------------

Why is this person so consumed with the looks of Africans?

What is a grown man like Perahu doing worrying about the nose, lips, skin color, body type, etc of other men and women? It's not normal for a person's mind to operate in this fashion.

Is it latent homosexuality?

Perahu?................Can you tell us?

Posts: 3085 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TruthAndRights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Perahu:
Ethiopians have derogatory words for people who look like Alek Wek.

-

- And there are no shortage of derogatory words for people like YOU...

the list is long, possibly almost endless...

shall I get started?

-

TruthAndRights
Member # 17346

Rate Member
quote:
T and R,

As I said: "because of the large amounts of face and body sculptures found in Egypt" that would be the best place to look for Ancient African aesthetic and realistic images.

As you know, with the possible exception of IFE, human representation in pre-modern Africa has mainly been abstract and symbolic.

If I am wrong, over to you.

[Smile] Ah true still....I forgot about that (second to last paragraph).

quote:
And again the whole site--in principle--revolves around the issue of race and Ancient Egypt. Hence the name ES.com
Yes true again I well overs this...but it's also been established from long time now that this particular forum side does not discuss egypt alone much less ancient egypt...we have reminded those who troll here plenty of times "Non-Egyptology related discussion. African roots, race, origin of man etc." when they complain that a post has nothing to do with ancient Kmt....
Adira and Marra
Member # 15917

Rate Member
Icon 6 posted      Profile for Adira and Marra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahem, before the color conscious ones [Roll Eyes] start roffling unnecessarily...

I'll take and rate this a 10...

-

before I even consider giving this a 6... [Wink]
 -

Pretty face and big boobies woulda fixed it of course [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]  -

lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
T and R,

I meant "race" and "Egypt" taken separately. As for "race and Egypt" taken together. As far as I know that's a closed book. Just the flatearthers who are still in denial.

lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
One other point though. Note that those cat-walkers who make it into the magazines of Europe are chosen by the whites themselves--for whatever purposes.

At one time there was this Ugandan model--don't recall her name--then after that Wek.

So it's the whites who set the programme for their own reasons.

Nyasha
Member # 19234

Rate Member
ok...so even back then she wasn't pretty.
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
Yet again, I am curious to know how she was "discovered"[their usual term] and who promoted her, and on what basis. Same for the Ugandan model.
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The question posed in the OP is the equivalent of asking, ''would the Dalai Lama be considered the standard of beauty in Ancient Israel''?

Africa easily covers that distance (click here) (Tibet to Israel), in both (equatorial) horizontal breadth and vertical Length.

I think it lacks sound reasoning that someone would even assume that Ancient Africans as a whole would be aware of the existence of Alek Wek's people, let alone what they look like. If you know the question sounds absurd when it comes to Eurasia, please refrain from asking such odd questions when it comes to Africa.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nyasha
Member # 19234

Rate Member
I admired Wek because she don't look mixed and you don't see a whole lot of non mixed Black women in the media. but it breaks my heart that most people dont think she is pretty
Nyasha
Member # 19234

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
The question posed in the OP is the equivalent of asking, ''would the Dalai Lama be considered the standard of beauty in Ancient Israel''?

Africa easily covers that distance (click here) (Tibet to Israel), in both (equatorial) horizontal breadth and vertical Length.

I think it lacks sound reasoning that someone would even assume that Ancient Africans as a whole would be aware of the existence of Alek Wek's people, let alone what they look like. If you know the question sounds absurd when it comes to Eurasia, please refrain from asking such odd questions when it comes to Africa.

each culture had a standard of beauty though. i just wanted to know if alek fit any of them back then.

like today the standard of beauty for a black girl is to look mixed i.e lightskin, long hair

Adira and Marra
Member # 15917

Rate Member
quote:
I admired Wek because she don't look mixed and you don't see a whole lot of non mixed Black women in the media. but it breaks my heart that most people dont think she is pretty

Instinctively, I know that by most/majority men's standards on this planet, she is not hot.

Nothing will ever change that.

Nyasha
Member # 19234

Rate Member
quote:
Yet again, I am curious to know how she was "discovered"[their usual term] and who promoted her, and on what basis. Same for the Ugandan model.

she was discovered in the park by a modeling scout. and from there her career took off.

quote:
Instinctively, I know that by most/majority men's standards on this planet, she is not hot.

if u are a black girl who looks like that (because i dont look mixed) what can you do to look hot? what if you really want to find somebody do you just stay single cause you are not most mens standard of beauty?
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its also interesting that Alek Wek (click) doesn't look that much different from Julia Stiles (click) (think ''Save the last dance''), save her short hair and dark skin. Most people wouldn't mind seeing Julia Stiles on the cat walk, so why b!tch about the fact that Alek Wek is?

This is funny to me, seriously.
I love to see human bias in action.

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adira and Marra
Member # 15917

Rate Member
quote:

quote:

if u are a black girl who looks like that (because i dont look mixed) what can you do to look hot? what if you really want to find somebody do you just stay single cause you are not most mens standard of beauty?
The logical and sane thing to do would be to go find someone who likes you. [Cool]
lamin
Member # 5777

Rate Member
T and R,

You used the term "continental African" in the above discussion. Just curious to know why people just don't use the term "African" in its generic sense--without appendages.

Analogically, people just say Asian--as in "South African Asian". Or as with Asian shopkeepers in Kenya. In West Africa, with reference to Lebanese, people just say "Lebanese". Nothing else. Same with "Arab"--regardless of continent of origin.

Yet the same restrictions don't apply with "black". I have never heard "continental black". Either you are black or not black. Same with "Jew" except when the nationality specifies. As in "Moroccan Jew" vs. "Iranian Jew".

So let's see how this is parsed out--or maybe another topic and thread.

Nyasha
Member # 19234

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by Fifty For U:
quote:

quote:

The logical and sane thing to do would be to go find someone who likes you. [Cool]
how can you do that if by most men's standards you are not hot?
Adira and Marra
Member # 15917

Rate Member
^ Most men != All Men.
Perahu
On Vacation
Member # 18548

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Perahu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Famous Ethiopian saying:

''God made people by taking a batch of clay and baking it. The first batch of clay was taken from the fire too soon. Those underbaked people became the white races. Then God took some more clay, but this batch burned. Those became very black people, like the South Sudanese. Only the third batch was just right. Those peope were put in Ethiopia, close to the heart of God.''

Posts: 695 | From: وكان المصريون القدماء القوقازين | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Fifty For U:
^ Most men != All Men.

Obviously. you are completely in the dark, like eclipsed dark, about how relationships work, if you think people all like the same thinks/give weight to the same things. The more socially aware people notice that people in their envioronment fall in love all the time with people who some might say, are three grades below them, where ''beauty'' is concerned. Have you been living under a builder or something?
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, Alek Wek isn't the best example of Sudanese beauty. I like these more:

-

-

-

--------------------
Brought to you by Brandon S. Pilcher

My art thread on ES

And my books thread

Posts: 7082 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Adira and Marra
Member # 15917

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Adira and Marra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Perahu:
Famous Ethiopian saying:

''God made people by taking a batch of clay and baking it. The first batch of clay was taken from the fire too soon. Those underbaked people became the white races. Then God took some more clay, but this batch burned. Those became very black people, like the South Sudanese. Only the third batch was just right. Those peope were put in Ethiopia, close to the heart of God.''

Nicely put!!! [Big Grin]

-
i like, with makeup. [Cool]

-
her, i wouldn ordinarily dig, but if she keeps making faces like that at me, i'm gonna definitely dig in. no doubt. [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com