EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Genome-wide scan of 29,141 African Americans finds no evidence of selection since adm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Genome-wide scan of 29,141 African Americans finds no evidence of selection since adm
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Genome-wide scan of 29,141 African Americans finds no evidence of selection since admixture

Gaurav Bhatia et al.

We scanned through the genomes of 29,141 African Americans, searching for loci where the average proportion of African ancestry deviates significantly from the genome-wide average. We failed to find any genome-wide significant deviations, and conclude that any selection in African Americans since admixture is sufficiently weak that it falls below the threshold of our power to detect it using a large sample size. These results stand in contrast to the findings of a recent study of selection in African Americans. That study, which had 15 times fewer samples, reported six loci with significant deviations. We show that the discrepancy is likely due to insufficient correction for multiple hypothesis testing in the previous study. The same study reported 14 loci that showed greater population differentiation between African Americans and Nigerian Yoruba than would be expected in the absence of natural selection. Four such loci were previously shown to be genome-wide significant and likely to be affected by selection, but we show that most of the 10 additional loci are likely to be false positives. Additionally, the most parsimonious explanation for the loci that have significant evidence of unusual differentiation in frequency between Nigerians and Africans Americans is selection in Africa prior to their forced migration to the Americas.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/1312.2675v1.pdf

Posts: 42955 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not post a link to Dienekes, you know, the site
you ripped it from? Or is it your intention to make
it seem like you tracked down the papers you've
been posting lately, yourself?

Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the lioness,
Member # 17353

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for the lioness,     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Swenet:
Why not post a link to Dienekes, you know, the site
you ripped it from? Or is it your intention to make
it seem like you tracked down the papers you've
been posting lately, yourself?

Fvck Dienekes, I don't have to give him credit he didn't write the article

I can't believe you're worried about him getting some sort of credit.

He posts a lot of new articles. I suppose your theory is if he posts them they must be bad.

-let me know when you address the content of the article

now go back to facebook, you're supposed to be boycotting lionessearch

Posts: 42955 | From: , | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com