EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Aegis-Menat ancient egyptian artifacts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aegis-Menat ancient egyptian artifacts
gildedman
Member # 22033

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for gildedman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everybody i have a Aegis-menat i just bough this week and i am wondering what to do with an awsome piece like that...
aegis got inlay gold beads and menat have gilding and hieroglyphe...
First i need help with hieroglyphe.. they are tough to see and i am trying to find what it mean.. i think i see amun and ramsess??
anyone can help me? or i should send it for research? thanks

Posts: 16 | From: canada | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gildedman
Member # 22033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gildedman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Smile]
Posts: 16 | From: canada | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gildedman
Member # 22033

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gildedman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -
http://s62.photobucket.com/user/3dtech/media/pppp.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^ I am only roughly familiar with hieroglyphs, though there are other posters in this forum are more knowledgeable in mdu neter and possess dictionaries.

The pendant of the menat is very rusted/deteriorated looking but as far as I can tell it is conveying the sovereignty over the tawy (two lands). The two heruwy (falcons) and two wadjeti (cobras) flanking each side with one heru wearing the white crown of upper Egypt and another wearing the red crown of lower Egypt. They appear to flanking something in the center possibly a serekh but I cannot see any details to it. The top part of the pendant is a goddess holding staff like objects in her hands.

Other than that I couldn't make anything else out.

Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gildedman
Member # 22033

Rate Member
wow nice thanks for the info...
i really appreciate...
i posted more hieroglyphe to see it better...
hope somebody will be able to help me..
a+

--------------------
Gilded Man

gildedman
Member # 22033

Rate Member
bump for more help please?

--------------------
Gilded Man

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Do you have any more background info on the menat?? From what dynasty and where it was found??

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

I'm sorry but the artifact is too rusted over. Also the few glyphs that are visible don't tell much. Do you have any other object that is better preserved?

Posts: 26307 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ausar
Member # 1797

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for ausar   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to ES GildedMan! [Big Grin]

Ask the antiquities dealer you
bought those artifacts from for
more information.

I can make neither hide nor hair
out of anything I can see on them.

Sorry

Posts: 8675 | From: Tukuler al~Takruri as Ardo since OCT2014 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
 -

^ Now that I see it closer, it seems the two herui falcons are perched on top of the glyphs for gold. So basically you have the golden horus of the south and the golden horus of the north, however what is in the center they are flanking??

If I have to take a guess I would say it is probably a serekh that houses the name of the actual ruler but it is so deteriorated the details are totally obfuscated.

In case you don't know, this would be an example of a serekh.

-

The falcon on top is heru with the name inside the serekh being Sekhemkhet. A pharaoh possessed many names but one of his main names is his Heru or Horus name expressed by his serekh and therefore the above example would be Heru-Sekhemkhet.

gildedman
Member # 22033

Rate Member
if I see it well i am pretty sure it's a djed pillar between the two falcon.. i dont know what it means but it's a djed pillar.. this is on the front but i am mostly asking for behind here the picture of the glyph
http://s62.photobucket.com/user/3dtech/media/DSC_5112-1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=23

gildedman
Member # 22033

Rate Member
you can zoom it a lot if you click on the zoom button..
Thanks

--------------------
Gilded Man

gildedman
Member # 22033

Rate Member
sorry for my English i am french...
i draw all i see on this sheet

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/3dtech/media/DSC00099.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
thanks for helping me

--------------------
Gilded Man

gildedman
Member # 22033

Rate Member
Djehuti
no i dont have so much info on this piece... the seller know nothing abouth it except he bough it in 1979 in israel for he's parents... i have tough time to find another complete aegis menat to compare to this one... i found 2 menat that we can see all the design +- the same than my menat.... and 1 complete aegis-menat in museum... look like it's very rare.. that's why i want to know what glyph mean... that will help a lot and give me more information abouth this piece..
thanks for your help guys...
i appreciated every answer..
a+

--------------------
Gilded Man

Tukuler
multidisciplinary Black Scholar
Member # 19944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tukuler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good looking DJ, you're surely onto something with Heru-Nub.

--------------------
I'm just another point of view. What's yours? Unpublished work © 2004 - 2023 YYT al~Takruri
Authentic Africana over race-serving ethnocentricisms, Afro, Euro, or whatever.

Posts: 8179 | From: the Tekrur straddling Senegal & Mauritania | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gildedman:

if I see it well i am pretty sure it's a djed pillar between the two falcon.. i dont know what it means but it's a djed pillar.. this is on the front but i am mostly asking for behind here the picture of the glyph
http://s62.photobucket.com/user/3dtech/media/DSC_5112-1.jpg.html?sort=3&o=23

If it is a djed pillar instead of a serekh then there is no identification. The djed pillar was a symbol of power and particularly durability. And there appears to be a sun disc on top. If that's the case then the message would be something like 'long lasting pillar of Ra (sun), the golden horus of the north and south'.

But I see you post photos of the backside which has more detailed glyphs.

http://s62.photobucket.com/user/3dtech/media/DSC_5112-1.jpg.html

You're gonna have to draw the outlines of these glyphs as it is very difficult to see.

So far the ONLY thing I could make out is the 3rd register starting from the bottom. It appears to be some sort of bird with a flail perched on something and then an upside down bowl.

Someone with mdu neter knowledge help us out on this.

gildedman
Member # 22033

Rate Member
Djehuti.. here is hieroglyph i draw
http://s62.photobucket.com/user/3dtech/media/DSC00099.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

--------------------
Gilded Man

Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
^ gildedman, have you ever tried putting paper on top of the surface and then scribbling with pencil to get the outlines of the surface?? I think this technique is much more accurate then guessing by eye and drawing the pictures you can make out. In fact the technique I described is a common one archaeologists use when trying to retrieve outlines that are faint.
gildedman
Member # 22033

Rate Member
i will try again... because yes i tryed the first day with no result..
a+

--------------------
Gilded Man

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com