EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Egyptology » Which habitat would favor the darkest human skin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which habitat would favor the darkest human skin?
BrandonP
Member # 3735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrandonP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm asking this partly out of anthropological curiosity, but also because a hobby of mine is fantasy world-building which includes designing fictional "races" or cultures of humankind. What kind of environment would select for the very darkest skin tones in humanity?

I'm leaning towards tropical savanna at the moment. Supposedly the equatorial latitudes receive the highest UV radiation, but they're commonly covered with rainforests that would shelter people from the sun with their treetop canopies. That's probably why Central African "pygmy" peoples have been described as lighter-skinned than Bantu-speaking populations who migrated to the same area from savanna areas to the north. On the other hand, since savannas have more open terrain and less rainy weather, people living there would receive more sunlight and therefore evolve the darkest skin.

What are your guys' thoughts on this?

Posts: 7069 | From: Fallbrook, CA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyyman
Member # 13597

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for xyyman   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question…..I think. When you look at the ACTUAL distribution of skin pigmentation in the globe sometimes pigmentation do NOT mimic latitude. The darkest people on the planet are South Asians Islanders and some Sudanese populations. Surprisingly it is not Bantu West Africans which is a common misconception.

Tishkoff and Norton speculated that “pigmentation” took place NOT in the tropical belt. But in the sub-tropical region ie African Savanna. And penetration into the forest is relatively recent.

--------------------
Without data you are just another person with an opinion - Deming

Posts: 12143 | From: When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swenet
Member # 17303

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Swenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Already covered by the Jablonski 2015(?) paper we discussed, if I remember it correctly. See her map(s).
Posts: 8785 | From: Discovery Channel's Mythbusters | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askia_The_Great
Administrator
Member # 22000

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askia_The_Great     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with OP with tropical Savannah. IIRC that's the same environment that South Sudan is in and they are among the darkest people I saw.
Posts: 1891 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com