EgyptSearch Forums
  Living in Egypt
  Arabic conversation thread for you on ES (Page 1)

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
This topic is 5 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5 
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Arabic conversation thread for you on ES
Monica

posted 17 April 2004 03:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Since many ES members showed interest in learning conversational Arabic, in order to communicate better with their Egyptian friends, here is an idea you: I (and other Egyptians that wish to join) can provide basic sentences in Arabic, translated in English - the interested members could ask for the translation of sentences also, and we can keep this thread interactive.

I'll try to keep it simple and to the point and maybe add some humour once in a while.

Here we go:

Essmak eih ( what is your name - masculin)
Essmek eih? ( feminin)
Essm el waled eih ( what is the name of your father)
Enta beteshtaghal eih? ( What is your job? - masculin
Enty beteshtaghaly eih? ( what is your job _ feminin)
Enta saken fein? (where do you live? - masculin)
Enty sakna fein? ( where do you live - feminin)

Sabah El Kheir ~ Good Morning
Messa' a el Kheir ~ Good Evening
Ma 'a al salama ( goodbye go in peace)

kaif al hal ~ how is Everything?
El gaw gameel el nahardah ~ the weather is beautiful today

wahashteny ~ I miss you (masculin)
wahashteeny ~ I miss you (feminin)

mama Kwaiessah? ~ is your mom ok?
Baba Ezaioh? How is your dad?
Enta kwaiess? Are you ok? ( masculin)
Enti Kwaiessa? Are you ok? (feminin)

habibi ( my love ~ to both gender as a modern way to express ouselves)

Enta akalt eih el naharda? ~ what did you eat today? ( masculin)
Enty akalty eih el nahardah? ( feminin)

habibi mabssout?~ Is my love happy?

Enta awez shay? ~ would you like tea?

El donya gameela mesh kidah ~ Life is beautiful isn't it?

So...if you guys are interested we can go on...if not...oh well!

Salam
Monica
-----------------
Dreams come true

IP: Logged

misscurly

posted 17 April 2004 03:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for misscurly     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
thank you monica - this is great. i go to egypt every couple of months to stay with my husband and family but really i only pick up e few words each time, and its so hard to get phrases that r useful for day to day chat as opposed to travelling phrases.
i wonder if u could tell me the arabic for 'How is your toe?'
my husband just had a small operation and he looks so miserable, he would be cheered up if i surprised him with this question in arabic
thanks love curly x

muhariba

posted 17 April 2004 03:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for muhariba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hi,Monica!
Thank u very much for such a nice topic!I think it is great to get a help for ppl who really want to learn arabic! U know, ya okhti, what we study here in university & what ppl really talk on the streets in egypt for example, it is as if 2 different languages!That makes me get crazy every time i hear a3mmiya ! pls, continue with this thread, at list one follower that was looking everywhere a sourse to study egyptian dialect, me , u got already !
I want to ask u about the way to tell i love u in egyptian dialect & other romantic words, i think it is nice to start studuing something from knowing all this!
Regards from ukraine,
just a girl with dreams!
p.s. hope that dream really come true

Monica

posted 17 April 2004 03:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
That was the quickest response in ages...great!

How is your toe my love:
Ezay soba'a reglak ya habibi? ( sounds funny but cute)

quote:
Originally posted by misscurly:
thank you monica - this is great. i go to egypt every couple of months to stay with my husband and family but really i only pick up e few words each time, and its so hard to get phrases that r useful for day to day chat as opposed to travelling phrases.
i wonder if u could tell me the arabic for 'How is your toe?'
my husband just had a small operation and he looks so miserable, he would be cheered up if i surprised him with this question in arabic
thanks love curly x

Monica

posted 17 April 2004 04:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Romantic words Muhariba at your request:

I love you : bahebak
I love you a lot: bahebak awy
I love you so so so much: Bahebak awy khaless

You are so kind: Enta tayeb awy (masculin)
Look at the moon my love: Boss alal amar ya habibi
You are as handsome as the moon: Enta zay el amar
You are the dream of my life : Enta helm hayaty

PS: MANY Dreams ...do come true: focus on the 'right' one, and you'll get there!

quote:
Originally posted by muhariba:
Hi,Monica!
Thank u very much for such a nice topic!I think it is great to get a help for ppl who really want to learn arabic! U know, ya okhti, what we study here in university & what ppl really talk on the streets in egypt for example, it is as if 2 different languages!That makes me get crazy every time i hear a3mmiya ! pls, continue with this thread, at list one follower that was looking everywhere a sourse to study egyptian dialect, me , u got already !
I want to ask u about the way to tell i love u in egyptian dialect & other romantic words, i think it is nice to start studuing something from knowing all this!
Regards from ukraine,
just a girl with dreams!
p.s. hope that dream really come true

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 17 April 2004).]

UniversalEnergy

posted 17 April 2004 04:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for UniversalEnergy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Monica what a great thread ~!

I know a little arabic, but am excited to learn more before my trip in a few weeks!

In answer to the last post ..

Ana Bahaybak ~~ I love you

Please keep in mind that my spelling is purely phonetic here .. hey at least u will say them right? but i wouldn't copy the spelling haha..

hmmm anyone know what is the meaning of Amoureen ?

oh and here is another may be helpful one that comes to mind for all .. I have noticed that some words (verbs) will end in certain letters to classify who the verb is in reference to.. for example ...

sound of "I" on the end is me ... remember i on the end speaking of me ..

Ash hanee <~~ for me

With a K sound on the end means you are speaking of the person to whome you are speaking ...

Ash hanak <~~ for you

If you want to make reference to them/all .. you would use a com sound ...

Ash hancom <~~ for them/all

hehe not much i know but as you start to learn more arabic phrases you will see how this sound on the end of a word gives meaning to who that word is about !

Walk in Peace,
Uni

Monica

posted 17 April 2004 04:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
great contribution....wow I'm happy you guys are interested..
We shall go on ...a few a day and by the end of the journey everyone will be capable of at least understanding and express a bit in Arabic!

Monica
Told you:
Dreams come true

quote:
Originally posted by UniversalEnergy:
Monica what a great thread ~!

I know a little arabic, but am excited to learn more before my trip in a few weeks!

In answer to the last post ..

Ana Bahaybak ~~ I love you

Please keep in mind that my spelling is purely phonetic here .. hey at least u will say them right? but i wouldn't copy the spelling haha..

oh and here is another may be helpful one that comes to mind for all .. I have noticed that some words (verbs) will end in certain letters to classify who the verb is in reference to.. for example ...

sound of "I" on the end is me ... remember i on the end speaking of me ..

Ash hanee <~~ for me

With a K sound on the end means you are speaking of the person to whome you are speaking ...

Ash hanak <~~ for you

If you want to make reference to them/all .. you would use a com sound ...

Ash hancom <~~ for them/all

hehe not much i know but as you start to learn more arabic phrases you will see how this sound on the end of a word gives meaning to who that word is about !

Walk in Peace,
Uni

Monica

posted 17 April 2004 04:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
An Egyptian/foreigner situation:

You are sitting in the middle of an Egyptian group, they kind of drift off and start speaking in Arabic...they laugh they seem to be cracking one joke after the other...hmmmm you feel out of place, but you sit there wanting everything to be translated, but it's not possible...the heat of the moment has passed...

Ok, so you want to feel 'with it' even if you don't undertsand what on earth they're saying: surprise them with these sentences, everytime they start to laugh...interrupting their laughter with :

La ya sheikh? ( you don't say?)
OR
Mesh Ma 'aool: incredible
Or:
La la la la mesh momken (no no no impossible)

And clap hands while you're saying the latter...or even better hit your leg with one hand once in a while when you are saying that...

he he he...

Have fun!

UniversalEnergy

posted 17 April 2004 04:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for UniversalEnergy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
woohoo indeed im excited for this post~~
And ty Monica, i am glad to contribute and at the same time be blessed with your knowledge

Hint to all learning arabic .. notice the way the words are set up in arabic sentences .. when you learn the meaning of each word, you will start to notice how sentences are laid out ~~> example

Enta akalt eih el naharda? what did you eat today? ( masculin)

Enta .. means you mascaline.
Aklat i think is eat.
Eih ... what
El naharda ... today <this day even?>

This translates to english saying ~~>
You ate what today ?

so noticeing the structure may help you to notice words and remember and also know how to mentally transfer your sentences!

Hope this helps .. LOL just figured it out after reading Monica's great post~!

Ma 'a al salama, (i love this one!)
Uni

UniversalEnergy

posted 17 April 2004 04:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for UniversalEnergy     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Yesss and Monica ~~!

Thank you for addressing those very possible and natural situations with grace and humor :O )

just the type of presence that is great there im sure .. understanding its natural and to ease in with grace and a smile.

Thanks for presenting us with such a wonderful perspective so that we may all glow with love and understanding :O )

Namaste (this is a sanscrit term that means i bow to the spirit in you which is also in me greeting or closing is a term of respect and acknowledgement)

So namaste,
Uni

GiggleGirl

posted 17 April 2004 04:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for GiggleGirl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Monica:
An Egyptian/foreigner situation:

You are sitting in the middle of an Egyptian group, they kind of drift off and start speaking in Arabic...they laugh they seem to be cracking one joke after the other...hmmmm you feel out of place, but you sit there wanting everything to be translated, but it's not possible...the heat of the moment has passed...

Ok, so you want to feel 'with it' even if you don't undertsand what on earth they're saying: surprise them with these sentences, everytime they start to laugh...interrupting their laughter with :

La ya sheikh? ( you don't say?)
OR
Mesh Ma 'aool: incredible
Or:
La la la la mesh momken (no no no impossible)

And clap hands while you're saying the latter...or even better hit your leg with one hand once in a while when you are saying that...

he he he...

Have fun!

What if they all stop laughing and just stare at you in startles silence for the last one?? That would be very uncomfortable..I can feel myself squirming at the thought of it!!

misscurly

posted 17 April 2004 05:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for misscurly     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
That was the quickest response in ages...great!

How is your toe my love:
Ezay soba'a reglak ya habibi? ( sounds funny but cute)

THANK U and u came back so quick too. top thread,now i just need to find a way to make these words stay in my head!!!!
love curly x

Monica

posted 17 April 2004 05:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
For gigglegirl:

You look at them with your nice smile, and say:
Feeh eih ya gama'ah? ana bahazar wayakom!

Meaning:
what's wrong people? I'm joking with you ...

And gigglegirl, most Egyptians have a great sense of humour

quote:
Originally posted by GiggleGirl:
What if they all stop laughing and just stare at you in startles silence for the last one?? That would be very uncomfortable..I can feel myself squirming at the thought of it!!

muhariba

posted 17 April 2004 08:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for muhariba     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Hey! great!Monica, i am enjoying ur lessons!by june(when i am going to come to egypt) i think with such a mo3allema i`ll be talking egyptian a3ammiya like a true misriya!
pls, don`t forget to add to it from time to time!Thank u friend!

Monica

posted 17 April 2004 09:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Here is some more ;

El donya harr awy el naharda ~ It's very hot today

Bass beleil el gaw gameel ~ but in the evening the weather is beautiful

Eih el akhbar? ~ What's new?

El akl dah ta' amoh helw awy ~ This food tastes delicious

Baheb el bahr ~ I like the sea

Momken assa'adak ? ~ can I help you ?

Ana aheb el ferakh ~ I like chicken
Ana aheb el Molokheya bel ferakh ~ I like Molokheya and chicken

Ana aheb el falafel ~ I like falafel

Ana awza asseer manga men fadlak ~ I would like mango juice please

Cigarah? Cigarette?
ana ma badakhansh, shokran ~ I don't smoke thank you.

Shukran ~ Thanks
Men fadlak ~ please
El naharda ~ today
Bokra ~ tomorrow
Ba ad bokra ~ after tomorrow

Wahed ~ one
etnein ~ two
Thalatha ~ three
Arba a ~ four
Khamssa ~ five
Setta ~ six
Saba'a ~ seven
Thamanya ~ eight
Tess'a ~ nine
Ashara ~ ten

And if you've had enough of someone and you want him to leave, you look him straight in the eyes and you say:

kefaya awy kida...[that's more than enough] etfadal maa el salama! [you can leave and go in peace]
and then...you turn your back and leave first...he he he

Goodnight! Tessbahom ala kheir (to a group)
Good night ( Tessbah ala kheir ( to a man)
Goodnight! (Tessbahy ala kheir( to a woman)

Ma a el Salama!! ~ Go in Peace
Monica

quote:
Originally posted by muhariba:
Hey! great!Monica, i am enjoying ur lessons!by june(when i am going to come to egypt) i think with such a mo3allema i`ll be talking egyptian a3ammiya like a true misriya!
pls, don`t forget to add to it from time to time!Thank u friend!

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 17 April 2004).]

katrina

posted 17 April 2004 11:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for katrina     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
Since many ES members showed interest in learning conversational Arabic, in order to communicate better with their Egyptian friends, here is an idea you:

Salam
Monica
-----------------
Dreams come true

What an awesome idea! I would learn some gladly.

Debbie

posted 18 April 2004 02:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Debbie     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Monica....what is the word you taught me when we were together for "men that look"? I've forgotten it already and could have used it many times since...darnit! Thanks for reminding me.

Penny

posted 18 April 2004 02:56 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Penny     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Monica this is just great. Thank you

Can you do:-

How is your wife,sister, brother, children

and :-
I am so sorry to hear your father died, or what words do you normally say to someone when there has been a death in the family?

kamar

posted 18 April 2004 04:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kamar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
FOR MONICA.
BIG MONICA !!!!!!
you are an angel!!!!I have history with Egyptian boy and you you are helping me to learn Arab!!!!
you don't know how much time is that I looked for this,you are great and I hope that you keep on writing for it stuffed the lessons.
you think, I can now learn finally some sentences....
I am too much happy for this!
thank you very much !!!!

Shareen

posted 18 April 2004 05:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Shareen     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

Walk in Peace,
Uni

Do you mean amarain uni? Lol, I am going to assume you mean the Amr Diab song... if so it means two moons.....
amar being moon, and you add ain to the end of a noun to make it "two of". It applies to most nouns.

Monica, a great thread, I am reading with interest, simple stuff I can do already but I am sure I will pick up a lot more from you. Its the purely colloquial stuff I like to learn for conversation.

One of my favourite phrases is......

Tislamadaykee..... after a meal in a home, to the lady who would have cooked the meal. It means.... praise the hand that cooks I think, or something similar and is always well received by my hosts.

Another is etfidal.. etfidalee... M or F, meaning you are offering something, whether it be a seat in the parlour, or food, etc etc. Its a difficult one to explain, but it has the meaning of when you kind of put out your hand in offering.... please..... take.. kind of thing. Lol, I have confused myself with that explanation, but maybe you can understand what I am saying.
Lol, better shut up now, before I say something really stupid.

kamar

posted 18 April 2004 05:39 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kamar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
i have found this:
- how are you? issayik?
- fine kwayis
- happy to see you : mabsut alshan shuftak
- are you married? : inta mitgawwiz (male)
inti mitgawwiza (fem)
- i'm alone : ana wahdii
- i'm with a friend : ana maha sadeeq (male)
ana maha sadeeqa (fem)
- i'm with my boyfriend . ana maha sahbii
- we live together : naskun mahabahd
- yes : aiywa
_ no : la
- i don't understand : mish fahim
- i'm here on holiday : ana hina fee agaaza
- see you later : ashufak ba'dayn (male)
ashufakik ba'dayn (fem)
- see you tomorrow: ashufak bukra (male)
ashufakik bukra (fem)
- how old are you? : andak kam sana? (male)
andakik kam sana? (fem)

DON'T FORGET :
I ana
you (m/s) inta
you (f/s) inti
he huwa
she haya
we ehna
you (plur)intoo
they humma
-where are you from? (to a man) : inta min
feyn?
-where are you from? 8to a woman): inti min
feyn?
- where is he from?: huwa min feyn?
- i'm from : ana min
-you are handsome : inta wasim
- " beautiful : jameel/a
- " delicious : lazeez/a
- " intelligent : zakee/ya
- " affecionate : muhib/a
- " kind : hanuun/a
- " attractive : gazzaab

I don't speak Arab,and I count on the help of Monica to learn...I have found this on www.gayegypt.com

-

Monica

posted 18 April 2004 06:04 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Sabah El Kheir ~ Good Morning!

This is so cool ...it makes me very happy that you guys are serious.

Ok, I will concentrate on answering all of you, in a few moments and also add more...

Monica

Monica

posted 18 April 2004 06:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Debbie it was not a very nice word but I will say it to you again... Shamamm! ( sniffer) which is kind of an insult...in a mild way...
But Debbie, I think it would be better if
you say:

Eib kidah...ma andaksh Okht, wala Om?

Which in turn means: shame on you don't you have a sister or a mom?

quote:
Originally posted by Debbie:
Monica....what is the word you taught me when we were together for "men that look"? I've forgotten it already and could have used it many times since...darnit! Thanks for reminding me.

Monica

posted 18 April 2004 06:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Sabah El Kheir ya Uni!

You asked for the word : Amarein...and it means : 2 moons...it's kind of a great compliment ...
for example if someone says to you Ya amar...
Meaning you are a moon it means you are beautiful and you can in turn say ( assuming it's a man/friend that tells you that) enta amarein...
or the opposite if you meet your friend and say...
Sabah El kheir ya Amar...
He/she can say...sabah el FOL ya Amarein...
A return of the compliment ...and FOL is a wonderful fragrant little tiny flower..so when I say for example to all of you:

Sabah El kheir...

You can answer
Sabah el Fol wel Yasmine ya Monica!

and it means you are wishing me a good morning full of FOl and Jasmine...(flowers)
Also...the word FOL is used to describe something that is very very clean, very pure and very beautiful.
For example:
What are your news today:
Akhbarik eih el nahardah
I would answer:
Akhbary zay el fol!
meaning my news are great...but....this could also be very sarcastic...and mean the opposite...see...

In other words..if my news are not so good..and things are not going too well, I would take it lightly by answering that everything is ok and make fun of myself!

Salam ya amar!

quote:
Yesss and Monica ~~!

Thank you for addressing those very possible and natural situations with grace and humor :O )

just the type of presence that is great there im sure .. understanding its natural and to ease in with grace and a smile.

Thanks for presenting us with such a wonderful perspective so that we may all glow with love and understanding :O )

Namaste (this is a sanscrit term that means i bow to the spirit in you which is also in me greeting or closing is a term of respect and acknowledgement)

So namaste,
Uni

[This message has been edited by Monica (edited 18 April 2004).]

Monica

posted 18 April 2004 06:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
kat, I'm happy you like it ...

Please ask for particular words too...and I shall answer them with pleasure!
here is a sentence for you:

Ezayek el naharda, ya sahbety? How are you today my friend?

quote:
Originally posted by katrina:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Monica:
[b]Since many ES members showed interest in learning conversational Arabic, in order to communicate better with their Egyptian friends, here is an idea you:

Salam
Monica
-----------------
Dreams come true

What an awesome idea! I would learn some gladly. [/B][/QUOTE]

Monica

posted 18 April 2004 06:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Shareen the word ETFADAL...or ETFADALI (feminine) has a very interesting concept...
First, it means : Please ....go ahead... if someone would like to talk or even someone is offered to pass before you do...
OR Please take...in case of something that is presented to you which also means go ahead, and that is a very cultural thingy actually...
A little situation:

You are with Egyptian friends and then you really like the dress your Egyptian friend is wearing...you compliment her...and she says:
Shukran ya habebty: ETFADALY....
Thank you my dear...please go ahead ( have it...it's yours)
she is actually showing you that it could be yours because/as material things are not as important as you...and since you like it it is yours...and that's a FIGURE OF SPEECH of course...
So don't expect her to bring you the dress the next time you see her

Teslam Eideiky: beautiful Egyptian expression after a meal...people compliment the hostess this way...and it means: Bless the hands that cooked the meal!!
You can say it also this way: Salem eideiky Or teslam eidak ( bless your hand) to a man...
If you need some sentences let me know...

Salam Ya Gameela!
(peace, beautiful)

quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:
Do you mean amarain uni? Lol, I am going to assume you mean the Amr Diab song... if so it means two moons.....
amar being moon, and you add ain to the end of a noun to make it "two of". It applies to most nouns.

Monica, a great thread, I am reading with interest, simple stuff I can do already but I am sure I will pick up a lot more from you. Its the purely colloquial stuff I like to learn for conversation.

One of my favourite phrases is......

Tislamadaykee..... after a meal in a home, to the lady who would have cooked the meal. It means.... praise the hand that cooks I think, or something similar and is always well received by my hosts.

Another is etfidal.. etfidalee... M or F, meaning you are offering something, whether it be a seat in the parlour, or food, etc etc. Its a difficult one to explain, but it has the meaning of when you kind of put out your hand in offering.... please..... take.. kind of thing. Lol, I have confused myself with that explanation, but maybe you can understand what I am saying.
Lol, better shut up now, before I say something really stupid.

Monica

posted 18 April 2004 06:45 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
kamar...great input friend.

Monica

posted 18 April 2004 07:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Penny...almost missed your post
here it goes:

how is your wife:
ezay meratak?
how is your sister:
ezay okhtak?
how is your brother:
ezay akhook?
how are the children:
ezay el awlad?

I'm so sorry to hear your father died:

You say:
El baeya fi hayatak....and they will answer:
hayatek el ba'ya...
which means...: so sorry that ...someone died but in a different way...or my sympathies...but in these terms:

What is left now, is your life to be lived...El baeya fi hayatek
and the answer : hayatek el ba'ya
means:
Your life is now left to be lived........

TO ALL:
the word: YALLAH...is used a lot...it means lets'go...let's do...'let's' in general
So you will hear often:
Yallah bye...
meaning let's say bye...
or Yallah...yallah...meaning c'mon cmon move...

Yallah have a good day!!!

quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Monica this is just great. Thank you

Can you do:-

How is your wife,sister, brother, children

and :-
I am so sorry to hear your father died, or what words do you normally say to someone when there has been a death in the family?

kamar

posted 18 April 2004 08:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kamar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
BIG MONICA !!!!
I like too much to learn Araband you are making me a great giftwith these lessons.
I believe that a lot of people are happy for this,it is learned very this way.
I have sent message to my boy and him is been amazed,he asks me where I learn Arab,and him is very happy that meI do this.
I hope that you don't abandon this beautiful thing,what you anchor you can teach so many things.
do you live in Arabic country or you have studied this language?
I see that you are very preparedand you don't know how I would like to have your headto be able to speak Arab as you know you.
I still wait for your lessons,I can write only what I find in internetbecause' I don't know anything of Arabbut surely I now learn a lot from you.
when I return in egyptI will put in practice your lessons.
Monica you are great and thank you again.

Monica

posted 18 April 2004 08:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Kamar,
Sabah el Kheir wel fol wel yasmine ...
Ezayek el nahardah? ( how are you today)
Ana Mabssootah enek mabssootah (~I am happy you are happy

Since you asked:
I am Egyptian....I live outside of Egypt...in Canada... but I am in Egypt as much as I can ( sometimes every 3 months) I intend to go back and live in Cairo permanently by the end of the year,Insha allah...or beginning of 2005, because Egypt is my home ~ and home is where love is ~ and my bestest love is at home ~ he he he... also, I have many genuine friends there, and my best 'girl'friend too...

If you are interested in the Egyptian culture...check the thread: COMPETITION...it is very long (13 pages) but you can slowly go through it, and you will find many many many interesting issues about Egyptian culture and history, that ES friends and I have added during a few months in 2003...

If you make a search on 'COMPETITION' or on 'Monica' you will find it...

When you speak to your boyfriend in Egypt, you can tell him:

Ana baheb Misr ( I love Egypt)

And do not forget to always ask about his mom...
Ezay mamtak? Or ezay waldetak? same thing...but waldetak is more official..

Salam Ya Kamar
here is the COMPETITION thread for all interested in Egyptian culture/and some funny blabla:
http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/Forum2/HTML/002518.html

PS: Big Monica...must mean something great I'm sure ~
Shukran ( Thanks)
wa ila el lleqa'a ( until we meet again)

quote:
Originally posted by kamar:
BIG MONICA !!!!
I like too much to learn Araband you are making me a great giftwith these lessons.
I believe that a lot of people are happy for this,it is learned very this way.
I have sent message to my boy and him is been amazed,he asks me where I learn Arab,and him is very happy that meI do this.
I hope that you don't abandon this beautiful thing,what you anchor you can teach so many things.
do you live in Arabic country or you have studied this language?
I see that you are very preparedand you don't know how I would like to have your headto be able to speak Arab as you know you.
I still wait for your lessons,I can write only what I find in internetbecause' I don't know anything of Arabbut surely I now learn a lot from you.
when I return in egyptI will put in practice your lessons.
Monica you are great and thank you again.

Penny

posted 18 April 2004 09:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Penny     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Monica
Thanks so much, this is a great thing you are doing. I am sure there is going to be a lot more abrabic spoken by all of us here that are learning and want to use it. I have already made my husband laugh so much with some things today. The one about the toe was fun I just had to change it for tooth.

So now you are our teacher should we all just call you Miss!
All the best Penny

Monica

posted 18 April 2004 09:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
In your case it was the the tooth and not the toe????

ezay senetak...how is your tooth..

Happy to be of help...after all, this message board is for Egypt lovers, so a little colloquial/conversational Arabic is probably needed...

quote:
Originally posted by Penny:
Monica
Thanks so much, this is a great thing you are doing. I am sure there is going to be a lot more abrabic spoken by all of us here that are learning and want to use it. I have already made my husband laugh so much with some things today. The one about the toe was fun I just had to change it for tooth.

So now you are our teacher should we all just call you Miss!
All the best Penny

katrina

posted 18 April 2004 09:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for katrina     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
here is a sentence for you:

Ezayek el naharda, ya sahbety? How are you today my friend?

Monica, ya sahbety,

kwayis, shukran. El gaw gameel el nahardah in here

Trying my best to get more focused on important things for me.

Ezayek el naharda, ya sahbety?

kat

kamar

posted 18 April 2004 10:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kamar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
FOR MONICA.
i love really egypt,it is my second house.I go in egypt twice times for years and all times for 15 days !!!! I have seen much of Egypt,all is magic,all is beautiful and I'm bewitched by this fantastic country.
I now have the Egyptian boy and who knows,maybe I will go' to live in egypt..we still owe decodere.
my english is not good,and for Big I said great,you have understand !!!!
I hope that you come back in egypt,so you can to be happy.
I'm happy for have met an egyptian,and the maximum one to learn Egyptian!
All days I will check the lessons,I want to learn really.
at soon and thank you for information on egypt,now i go for see it.

kamar

posted 18 April 2004 10:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kamar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Monica,are you a boy????
if you have your girl friend in canada I hope that you bring in egypt she.
my boyfriend is from Cairo.

Monica

posted 18 April 2004 10:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I hope you are mabsoota ( happy) with your Egyptian love /boyfriend..

Al hob gameel ~ Love is beautiful!

I will try and add more words everyday...

Ma'a El Salama..
Naharek sa3eed ( have a happy day)

Monica
Ps: I am also known as 'Masreya_awy' ( another nickname I had when I could not find my password - which means: very Egyptian!)

quote:
FOR MONICA.
i love really egypt,it is my second house.I go in egypt twice times for years and all times for 15 days !!!! I have seen much of Egypt,all is magic,all is beautiful and I'm bewitched by this fantastic country.
I now have the Egyptian boy and who knows,maybe I will go' to live in egypt..we still owe decodere.
my english is not good,and for Big I said great,you have understand !!!!
I hope that you come back in egypt,so you can to be happy.
I'm happy for have met an egyptian,and the maximum one to learn Egyptian!
All days I will check the lessons,I want to learn really.
at soon and thank you for information on egypt,now i go for see it.

moly

posted 18 April 2004 11:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for moly     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
I hope you are mabsoota ( happy) with your Egyptian love /boyfriend..

Al hob gameel ~ Love is beautiful!

I will try and add more words everyday...

Ma'a El Salama..
Naharek sa3eed ( have a happy day)

Monica
Ps: I am also known as 'Masreya_awy' ( another nickname I had when I could not find my password - which means: very Egyptian!)

hi monica
i'm egyption girl too i found ES 2 weeks ago and i have read alot of posts i like them so much it's really cool and u r realy nice girl i have read alot of ur old posts too and i like how u can help people here (sorry i'm not good in english )
i hope u can help me too i was alone so much of the time and this is more than i can stand i dont have atrue and trusted frinds so i tried to find new friends but i think a friend is easier lost than found and this is my problem but i read about ES meetings bas ana msh basek fee ane 27'rwg 2kabel naas m3rfhmsh so please tell me if i can trust them i'm thinking too about arbic / english conversiton exchange bas 7'aefah bardoh .
ana asfah ane tawelt bas el shaga3ne ane 7aseet anek 7abobah thanks for ur time.

Monica

posted 18 April 2004 12:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Dear moly,

If you want to go to an ES meeting, a good idea is probably to bring a friend or a relative with you, and it is in an open place for sure.

I was lucky, the people I met from ES were very nice.

Also, for example...if you correspond with some by email, and you ask many questions to find who they are, we kidah...arqam telephonate..assamy el ahl.....biyeshtaghalom fein kidah...and Insha allah kol kheir, Ya rab.

People like BoBBoSS for example ...he met Leonides who has a flower business...Debbie for example, has a business and her phone number and address are public, I met her...and so many others met Debbie...I actually asked her about some people...and she told me about the ones she met from ES...
Also...very important is to contribute here once in a while, and when you read about the other contributions - most of the time...you can tell if people are sincere..I said most of the time because of course some could pretend...but I correspond with many and they are all nice wallahy.

If You need help in knowing about someone ask me...we ana agiblik akhbarhom ala tool

I hope this helped!

Salam friend...
Monica

quote:
Originally posted by moly:

hi monica
i'm egyption girl too i found ES 2 weeks ago and i have read alot of posts i like them so much it's really cool and u r realy nice girl i have read alot of ur old posts too and i like how u can help people here (sorry i'm not good in english )
i hope u can help me too i was alone so much of the time and this is more than i can stand i dont have atrue and trusted frinds so i tried to find new friends but i think a friend is easier lost than found and this is my problem but i read about ES meetings bas ana msh basek fee ane 27'rwg 2kabel naas m3rfhmsh so please tell me if i can trust them i'm thinking too about arbic / english conversiton exchange bas 7'aefah bardoh .
ana asfah ane tawelt bas el shaga3ne ane 7aseet anek 7abobah thanks for ur time.

Monica

posted 18 April 2004 01:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
To All, in case you need more advanced lessons once you are in Egypt, here is another reference:

[Arabic Conversation lessons for foreigners based on learners needs and interests. If interested, please call Sami on 012-3321293 or by e-mail: EgyptianTeacher2003@Yahoo.com]

Another member 'Dalia' says he is an excellent teacher.

GiggleGirl

posted 18 April 2004 02:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for GiggleGirl     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:
For gigglegirl:

You look at them with your nice smile, and say:
Feeh eih ya gama'ah? ana bahazar wayakom!

Meaning:
what's wrong people? I'm joking with you ...

And gigglegirl, most Egyptians have a great sense of humour

LOL a great sense of humour is an understatement!! That I do know. LOL I'd still be squirming though, it is so embarassing when you say something you think is funny and no-one laughs!!

Shareen

posted 18 April 2004 02:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Shareen     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
quote:

Debbie for example, has a business and her phone number and address are public, I met her...and so many others met Debbie...I actually asked her about some people...and she told me about the ones she met from ES...

Lol, I am not sure whether to be worried about that Monica! Debbie knows too much about me.... I hope she told you about the 50LE notes she had though! Glad you met her though, she is a lot of fun!

Monica

posted 18 April 2004 02:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
I did'nt mean it that way at all....funny you...!!! la la la la ( no no no)
I meant..that I asked Debbie about a few people that I was intending to meet - that she had met before - and she gave good references...re-assuring the fact that I had picked good people, to be friends with!

That's all!!

She is a lot of fun indeed! And so are you I 'm sure!

quote:
Originally posted by Shareen:
Lol, I am not sure whether to be worried about that Monica! Debbie knows too much about me.... I hope she told you about the 50LE notes she had though! Glad you met her though, she is a lot of fun!

BoBBoSS

posted 18 April 2004 03:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for BoBBoSS     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
ola la la la , monica is now a teacher and a secret agent (lol)

saba3 sanaye3 we el ba7.t daye3 hahahah,
how are u monica? this is a brilliant thread and also i find a great sense of humour also, i wish i can help))

for moly:
everywhere u will meet the good and the bad, trust your feelings and apply what monica mentioned, as long as u meet them in open place then u r free to go whenever u r not feeling comfortable, for me , i met leonides he is a wonderful person, and also i read here alot from other persons, and most of them i consider really good ppl, monica, adoula, debbie, akshar, ......... alot.

------------------
BoBBoSS

Monica

posted 18 April 2004 03:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
BoBBoSS,
enta momken tessa3ed kaman...(you can help also)
If you post a few sentences that you think would be useful for a foreigner to communicate with Egyptians, and 'kolena' nessba7h mudaressein...package deal! ( all of us will become teachers)

About being a secret agent sometimes ~ in other words checking people out before meeting them blindly...that is an important issue wallahy, in the age of the internet

quote:
Originally posted by BoBBoSS:
ola la la la , monica is now a teacher and a secret agent (lol)

saba3 sanaye3 we el ba7.t daye3 hahahah,
how are u monica? this is a brilliant thread and also i find a great sense of humour also, i wish i can help))

for moly:
everywhere u will meet the good and the bad, trust your feelings and apply what monica mentioned, as long as u meet them in open place then u r free to go whenever u r not feeling comfortable, for me , i met leonides he is a wonderful person, and also i read here alot from other persons, and most of them i consider really good ppl, monica, adoula, debbie, akshar, ......... alot.

Monica

posted 18 April 2004 06:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
What do you mean if I'm a boy?

I am a woman... when I said a 'girl' friend I meant my best friend ...and she is in Egypt...and my fiance/ future husband, is in Egypt too..

I think you misunderstood...but it's ok...
let me say it in arabic:

sahbety el anteem.... fi Misr
My best friend (who is a woman) is in Egypt
habibi/areessy ...fi Misr
My love/future husband - who is a man - is in Egypt...

quote:
Monica,are you a boy????
if you have your girl friend in canada I hope that you bring in egypt she.
my boyfriend is from Cairo.

jaguar

posted 18 April 2004 06:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jaguar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Monica.. el Thread dee mish Hambaka. Bravo aaliki.

Monica

posted 18 April 2004 06:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Shukran!!!

quote:
Originally posted by jaguar:
Monica.. el Thread dee mish Hambaka. Bravo aaliki.

jaguar

posted 18 April 2004 06:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jaguar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
el anteem sounds better.

quote:

sahbety el intime.... fi Misr

el intime...fi Misr

Monica

posted 18 April 2004 06:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Monica     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Thanks...I changed it...
quote:
Originally posted by jaguar:
el anteem sounds better.

jaguar

posted 18 April 2004 06:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jaguar     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Now to enrich our foreign readers, here is a CUSS word (shetima):
Welaad el Kalb killed El ranteesy yesterday.

This topic is 5 pages long:   1  2  3  4  5