EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » Listening to music and watching TV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Listening to music and watching TV
Mirta
Member # 12422

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mirta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
are those considered to be haram by islam?
and why?

Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
islamway
Member # 10368

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for islamway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firstly:Watching TV

It depends on what you watch in TV. Can you tell me what would you watch?
In general it depends on what you watch. If what you watch is Haram, then watching Tv is Haram.
If what you watch is not Haram, It's not Haram.

Secondly: Music

you can find some details in this
http://www.islamqa.com/index.php?ref=5000&ln=eng

I quote this Paragraph from the site
quote:

Some say that music and musical instruments have the effect of softening people’s hearts and creating gentle feelings. This is not true, because it provokes physical desires and whims. If it really did what they say, it would have softened the hearts of the musicians and made their attitude and behaviour better, but most of them, as we know, are astray and behave badly.

Replace the music with Listening to Quran stepwise.

And Allaah knows best. May Allaah bless and grant peace to His Messenger who made clear the path of the believers, and to his companions and those who follow them in truth until the Day of Judgement.

Posts: 1007 | From: http://www.sultan.org | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mirta
Member # 12422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mirta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank u very much,God bless u for ur help.
ill check th site u pasted inshallah.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sultan.org(In Makka not here ):
Some say that music and musical instruments have the effect of softening people’s hearts and creating gentle feelings. This is not true, because it provokes physical desires and whims. If it really did what they say, it would have softened the hearts of the musicians and made their attitude and behaviour better, but most of them, as we know, are astray and behave badly.

Bach must be turning in his grave. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
islamway
Member # 10368

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for islamway   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't follow Bach. We follow the prophet of God.
Posts: 1007 | From: http://www.sultan.org | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If bach was there in Medina when the prophet arrived from Mecca, im sure he would be playing his best and everyone would have danced [Wink]
Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caterpillar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is music is haram then why do birds sing?
Posts: 1017 | From: uk | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We don't follow Bach. We follow the prophet of God.

Did I miss something? Since when is Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid the prophet of God? [Eek!]
Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
islamway
Member # 10368

Rate Member
The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91).

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ayisha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said:

“Among my ummah there will certainly be people who permit zinaa, silk, alcohol and musical instruments…” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari ta’leeqan, no. 5590; narrated as mawsool by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi. See al-Silsilah al-Saheehah by al-Albaani, 91).

sorry but that is NOT from Quran, I follow GOD and His word. How do you KNOW the prophet said this?? by some MAN saying he heard it said by someone ELSE how many years after the prophet DIED??

The Quran is protected, the word of MAN is not.

There was music, dancing and merriment in Medina when the prophet arrived from Mecca was there not???

Posts: 15090 | From: http://www.egyptalk.com/forum/ | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So much for my Baby Einstein Mozart CDs. [Roll Eyes]

[Razz]

Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
islamway
Member # 10368

Rate Member
from Quran
http://www.searchtruth.com/chapter_display.php?chapter=31&translator=5#6

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
quote:
from Quran
http://www.searchtruth.com/chapter_display.php?chapter=31&translator=5#6

Your verse:

6 And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (i.e.music, singing, etc.) to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah without knowledge, and takes it (the Path of Allah, the Verses of the Quran) by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-fire).

The actual verse in 3 translations:

YUSUFALI: But there are, among men, those who purchase idle tales, without knowledge (or meaning), to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah and throw ridicule (on the Path): for such there will be a Humiliating Penalty.

PICKTHAL: And of mankind is he who payeth for mere pastime of discourse, that he may mislead from Allah's way without knowledge, and maketh it the butt of mockery. For such there is a shameful doom.

SHAKIR: And of men is he who takes instead frivolous discourse to lead astray from Allah's path without knowledge, and to take it for a mockery; these shall have an abasing chastisement.

i dont think Allah put in the (ie, music, singing, etc) did He? that was added by someone who decided it meant singing and music, NOT what was originally was meant.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
Originally posted by Tream Lefty:

[Razz]

LOL ... they are excellent, but I remember one day I got to the point that I had been listening to "alla turca" like about 150 times. And although it's a lovely piece of music it was starting to drive me thoroughly insane.

[Big Grin]

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:

[Razz]

LOL ... they are excellent, but I remember one day I got to the point that I had been listening to "alla turca" like about 150 times. And although it's a lovely piece of music it was starting to drive me thoroughly insane.

[Big Grin]

I can see that. I used to be able to play that on the piano....one of my favorite pieces....I think my family was just about ready to kill me by the time I figured it all out. Imagine not only listening to it a million times, but to an amateur pianist trying to pick her way through it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
I can see that. I used to be able to play that on the piano....one of my favorite pieces...

Wow! I think I didn't make it that far. [Embarrassed] I was quite good with Satie though. [Big Grin]

As soon as I'm really settled in one place I want to get a piano again. [Frown]

Ayisha
Member # 4713

Member Rated:
I learnt to play 'chopsticks' when I was a kid, thats about all [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Dalia*
Member # 10593

quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:

i dont think Allah put in the (ie, music, singing, etc) did He? that was added by someone who decided it meant singing and music, NOT what was originally was meant.

They often do this on Islam-QA but at least they write "interpretation of the meaning" when quoting verses with additions in brackets ... some others don't.

I find it a bit annoying when people do that, as if readers won't go and compare translations ...

quote:
Originally posted by Ayisha:
SHAKIR: And of men is he who takes instead frivolous discourse to lead astray from Allah's path without knowledge, and to take it for a mockery; these shall have an abasing chastisement.

Music – just like almost everything else – can be used in many different ways, negative as well as positive.
And I don't think it's a coincidence that people all over the world throughout all times and of different religions / spiritual schools have used music in order to get closer to God. That can hardly be called "frivolous discourse", I'd say. And what about the countless Christians who have been using music in church for centuries – are they all "gone astray" and "behaving badly"?!?

It is incomprehensible to me how someone who knows a bit about musical theory and harmony or has simply listened to a piece of great music can not see that music must be a reflection of the divine, how someone can be totally blind to the beauty and harmony in it and try to condemn it with such ugly, harsh words.

Music is a universal language that everyone instinctively understands, children and infants love music tremendously and music is known to have an effect even on unborn babies that are still in the womb. The number of scientific studies proving the healing properties of music and sound as well as their positive influence on the brain are countless. Learning / playing an instrument does not only stimulate your brain in many ways, it also requires love, dedication, patience and discipline – things that can hardly be called objectionable, not even from the strictest religious viewpoint.

So there are countless benefits to music – apart from the obvious, that it's enjoyable and can make our life richer – which are quite fascinating and can't just be ignored. And to me it's so crystal clear that all this wouldn't be possible without a higher power behind it; music – like nature, art, science etc. – is one of the things we are meant to cherish and explore.

How people can make generalizing dismissive statements such as the one quoted earlier on based on their very limited view on the issue is completely beyond me. [Frown] The sheikhs who find such ugly and condemning words have either consciously ignored many important aspects or they are not even aware of them. Both options do not bode very well for peope who pose as authorities on spiritual matters.

My personal impression is that people like this are completely cut off of their emotions; their hearts and instincts and sense for right and wrong must be dead or buried. I would actually feel sorry for them if they wouldn't try to impose their harsh view on others.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com