EgyptSearch Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» EgyptSearch Forums » Religion » The Muslim Girl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Muslim Girl
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There goes that Muslim Girl that no one knows

The one who's covered from her head to her toes

The Muslim Girl who hardly ever talks

The one who holds her head up when she walks

The Muslim Girl who doesn't go out with boys

The one who' s never treated like a toy

The Muslim Girl who hates violence and did no crime

The one who's so called " father" was on the cover of The New York Times

The Muslim Girl who always gets dirty looks

While she's walking home clutching her books

The Muslim Girl who doesn't stay out late hours

The one who is accused of doing that to the towers

The Muslim Girl who likes to take walks in the rain

The one who got kicked off of the train

The Muslim Girl who was born in the U.S.A.

The one who's being punished for what happened that day

Half the people who just read what I said

Still want this Muslim Girl dead

Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanist
Member # 12798

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Batty,

did you write that poem?

Have you ever walked down an American street and observed a Muslim girl "covered from head to toe" and drawing dirty looks or have you talked to people around her who say they want her dead?

Most Americans don't have a problem with the character you have described...

Most Americans are accepting and tolerant...even among conservative people

In the town I live in, a very conservative, Christian and pro-Bush city, a mosque is being built...85% of the people in this community stood by the Muslims who wanted to build it and helped the Muslims get the approval from the city to build the first mosque in this town...why?

Because Americans...most Americans...believe in the human right to worship the God they choose; they believe in the freedom promised to ALL Americans.

You don't know so much about America...only what you hear in the Wahabbi mosque you attend...you would be surprised if you came here...that's what my Egyptian niece just told me...she said she had no idea Americans were so open and accepting...she had a "false" picture based on propoganda she heard in Egypt...

Batty, I know you and I haven't seen eye to eye on most things but you know what? I wish you peace, prosperity and justice...and that you'd open your heart and mind.

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caterpillar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Humanist i think thats great to hear about muslims and christians existing peacefully in your town. I cant speak for the US, but I know when i started wearing hijab for the first time i was worried about the sort of things Batty has posted in this poem, and one person had told me about her negative incidents.
But to my surprise I haven't had any of this, everyone has been accepting and not bothered to be honest, we do have a lot of muslims in our area so i thought that might be part of it, but even when i have been outside the area amidst thousands of people and the only one wearing hijab, no nastiness.
Of course people sometimes look, but that is more out of curiosity, they dont expect to see english women in hijab.
Glad to hear that most people in the US are as accepting as most in the UK.

Posts: 1017 | From: uk | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Battyman

you seriously need to get a visa and see with your own eyes.

The women get far worse treatment from the men of Egypt than they ever would in walking down a street in New York.
Veiled women, western women all women get hassle from Egyptian men.

This little moslem lady needs to take a visit out of her home in the US and take a walk down the streets of downtown Cairo or Riyadh then write another poem for us to read.
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree the states is more tolerant than people think, but there is always the look or the whispered comment, I think if more people were HONEST about what they thought of that Muslim girl in the states the truth wouldn't be far from what was described. Thankfully there is a fear of being racist or prejudiced in America that lends a form of protection, but it doesn't protect from true feelings. These are two different things.
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barnacle Bill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think in general most westerners just get on with their lives. They are too busy working, making money and living to even bother switching on Al Jazeera, or to wonder about the middle east. You see it is not on their doorstep is it

The closer you are to it the more notice I think you take and the more it would occupy your thoughts.

I doubt that walking the streets of London anyone would really give that girl a second glance. If it was niqab though it would be different.

Posts: 586 | From: Styx | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SayWhatYouSee
Member # 11552

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted      Profile for SayWhatYouSee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't give up the night job, Batman...that 'poem' truly sucked.
Posts: 2953 | From: Slightly south of Azkaban. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dalia*
Member # 10593

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Dalia*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by humanist:
Batty,

did you write that poem?

It's taken from a very dubious site that promotes, among other quite objectionable things, FGM, and recommends cutting off the labia of newborn girls as "an act of sunna".
[Roll Eyes]

www.themuslimwoman.com/TheMuslimGirl.htm

Posts: 3587 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
O you who believe! If a rebellious evil person comes to you with a news, verify it, lest you harm people in ignorance, and afterwards you become regretful to what you have done.
Posts: 2728 | From: جمهورية مصر العربية | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
henita
Member # 11693

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for henita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:
Batty,

did you write that poem?

It's taken from a very dubious site that promotes, among other quite objectionable things, FGM, and recommends cutting off the labia of newborn girls as "an act of sunna".
[Roll Eyes]

[Eek!] [Mad] [Eek!]
Posts: 1339 | From: Om Leito | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanist
Member # 12798

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Batman, non-stop, righteous machine:
O you who believe! If a rebellious evil person comes to you with a news, verify it, lest you harm people in ignorance, and afterwards you become regretful to what you have done.

This is one of my favorite verses in the Quran! Thank you for sharing it.

As a Muslim, I have applied this verse many many times. I hope you will do the same Batty...because it seems you are truly getting information from the wrong sources...I hope you are not being used and that you will open your eyes to what is really going on. The people who you are trusting your soul to...are you certain they are not the "evil, rebellious" types the verse is referring to.

I hope you will become rightly guided someday. Truly.

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for antihypocrisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dalia*:
quote:
Batty,

did you write that poem?

[Roll Eyes]

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=003103;p=1

http://www.egyptsearch.com/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=002895;p=1

[Roll Eyes]

daria1975
Member # 6244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daria1975     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Récif corallien:

The women get far worse treatment from the men of Egypt than they ever would in walking down a street in New York.

I think that depends on *which* street in NYC she's walking.
Posts: 8794 | From: 01-20-09 The End of an Error | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barnacle Bill
Member # 12656

Rate Member
yes not like Egypt where they harass women EVERY street. Walking there with a European wife is hell, and very insulting to their husband! [Mad]
Sparkle16
Member # 13047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sparkle16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question: for those of you that are American, Canadian, Brits and are muslim - when you go home to visit do you still wear the muslim clothing?
Posts: 206 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amrssnowangel
Member # 6789

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amrssnowangel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in the usa..and am American...and Muslim. I wear islamic clothing. That is to say, Hijab, long sleeves, long dress. I still dress fashionably but in darker clothing. I wear little make up and no perfume while out. I work, shop and play like this. Never have I come across anyone rude or who has said any bad thing due to my dress or beliefs. Actually Ive noticed people being a bit more respectful. I feel like Im protected, special and above all Obedient to Allahs command to be modest and chaste. I wish all women could feel what I feel when Im covered. I feel special. No other has a right to me but my family and my husband. I feel protected from the lustful eye of men...and I know I've done all I can to not be a stumbling block to my brother, both muslim and non muslim. Alhamdolellah.
Posts: 100 | From: Fredericksburg, VA, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caterpillar
Member # 10438

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for caterpillar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats a nice post amrs.. I also live in UK and wear hijab, and like amrs.. have almost found people to treat me more respectfully, but certainly not any less than before.
Posts: 1017 | From: uk | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seabreeze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle16:
Question: for those of you that are American, Canadian, Brits and are muslim - when you go home to visit do you still wear the muslim clothing?

I wore it before I left the states and will when I go back of course. The number of Muslim women I have met in the states that were Muslim but didn't dress or cover were higher among immigrants (from what I noticed).
Posts: 13440 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seabreeze
Member # 10289

quote:
Originally posted by amrssnowangel:
I live in the usa..and am American...and Muslim. I wear islamic clothing. That is to say, Hijab, long sleeves, long dress. I still dress fashionably but in darker clothing. I wear little make up and no perfume while out. I work, shop and play like this. Never have I come across anyone rude or who has said any bad thing due to my dress or beliefs. Actually Ive noticed people being a bit more respectful. I feel like Im protected, special and above all Obedient to Allahs command to be modest and chaste. I wish all women could feel what I feel when Im covered. I feel special. No other has a right to me but my family and my husband. I feel protected from the lustful eye of men...and I know I've done all I can to not be a stumbling block to my brother, both muslim and non muslim. Alhamdolellah.

You're not married yet are you? Aren't you the one claiming a success story with a man young enough to be your son because the mother approved of you yet you have yet to marry or live together? [Confused]

Also, if you feel protected from the eyes of lustful men (lol) then don't come to Egypt covered or not. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

antihypocrisy
Member # 11915

Rate Member
Baby, it's all good!

What do you see when you look at me
Do you see someone limited, or someone free
All some people can do is just look and stare
Simply because they can't see my hair
Others think I am controlled and uneducated
They think that I am limited and un-liberated
They are so thankful that they are not me
Because they would like to remain 'free'

Well free isn't exactly the word I would've used
Describing women who are cheated on and abused
They think that I do not have opinions or voice
They think that being hooded isn't my choice
They think that the hood makes me look caged
That my husband or dad are totally outraged
All they can do is look at me in fear
And in my eye there is a tear

Not because I have been stared at or made fun of
But because people are ignoring the One up above
On the day of judgment they will be the fools
Because they were too ashamed to play by their own rules
Maybe the guys won't think I am a cutie
But at least I am filled with more inner beauty
See I have declined from being a guy's toy
Because I won't let myself be controlled by a boy

Real men are able to appreciate my mind
And aren't busy looking at my behind
Hooded girls are the ones really helping the Muslim cause
The role that we play definitely deserves applause
I will be recognized because I am smart and bright
And because some people are inspired by my sight
The smart ones are attracted by my tranquility
In the back of their mind they wish they were me

We have the strength to do what we think is right
Even if it means putting up a life long fight
You see we are not controlled by a mini skirt and tight shirt
We are given only respect, and never treated like dirt
So you see, we are the ones that are free and liberated
We are not the ones that are sexually terrorized and violated
We are the ones that are free and pure
We're free of STD's that have no cure

So when people ask you how you feel about the hood
Just sum it up by saying, 'Baby its all good'

humanist
Member # 12798

Member Rated:
Batty,

How come you don't ever just respond to a post with your own thoughts? Why do you publish another poem when you still haven't replied to other questions.

As far as the poems, well...great! The women who wrote them feel good wearing hijab! Good for them! If they wisn to dress this way for whatever personal reasons or beliefs they have...it is their right!

But, there are many many Muslim women,like myself, who are not comfortable wearing the hijab. It does not make me feel "free" but rather extremely restricted. I find it very extreme...modesty is a frame of mind...not just a piece of clothing. And, likeit or not, the hijab argument about it being a mandantory issue is so clearly weak to me....please don't try and convince me otherwise...I've read about it over and over and over again...I've made up my mind it was never ordered by God...

Let's say even if it was...there are so many more important things to worry about than hair showoing!!!!!!!

Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle16:

I am a Muslimah, live in US, do not wear Islamic clothes or hijab - simply because this is not me. I do not dress provocatively, but simply don't feel like changing my 'outside' to match my 'inside'. Maybe one day - if my soul feels like it - I will wear hijab and different clothes. If I do - I will wear it everywhere I go.

Ps. I do not change my attire when I go to Egypt. It is not insulting to any society the way I look. [Big Grin] I hope.
I respect Holy Q'uran's call for woman's modesty, but do not give a duck feather about what fellow brothers feel looking at me - I am not going to give up my style to save their lustful ar$$. Its all between me and God after all. [Wink]

Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good for you karah_mia [Wink]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karah_Mia
Member # 4668

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for Karah_Mia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mok-mok:
good for you karah_mia [Wink]

You know me... [Wink]
Posts: 2238 | From: Mother Earth | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chef Mick
Member # 11209

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chef Mick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i sure do [Razz]
Posts: 9443 | From: USA...... | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*The Dark Angel* aka CAT
Member # 11953

Icon 14 posted      Profile for *The Dark Angel* aka CAT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Batty,

How come you don't ever just respond to a post with your own thoughts? Why do you publish another poem when you still haven't replied to other questions.

As far as the poems, well...great! The women who wrote them feel good wearing hijab! Good for them! If they wisn to dress this way for whatever personal reasons or beliefs they have...it is their right!

But, there are many many Muslim women,like myself, who are not comfortable wearing the hijab. It does not make me feel "free" but rather extremely restricted. I find it very extreme...modesty is a frame of mind...not just a piece of clothing. And, likeit or not, the hijab argument about it being a mandantory issue is so clearly weak to me....please don't try and convince me otherwise...I've read about it over and over and over again...I've made up my mind it was never ordered by God...

Let's say even if it was...there are so many more important things to worry about than hair showoing!!!!!!!

Ditto
Posts: 3128 | From: Not Your Heaven | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparkle16
Member # 13047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sparkle16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
amrssnowangel....I think that is a little presumptous to think that ALL men would be looking at you with a lustful eye. Alot of men are capable of thought and intelligence!!!! Funny way of thinking!!
Posts: 206 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Djehuti
Member # 6698

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Djehuti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Récif corallien:

Battyman

you seriously need to get a visa and see with your own eyes.

Veiled women, western women all women get hassle from Egyptian men.

This little moslem lady needs to take a visit out of her home in the US and take a walk down the streets of downtown Cairo or Riyadh then write another poem for us to read.
[Roll Eyes]

LOL So I've heard!

[Embarrassed] At least in the U.S. all veiled Muslim women get is stares, in Cairo they get groped.

Posts: 26246 | From: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | EgyptSearch!

(c) 2015 EgyptSearch.com